maniac_kds

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Toronto
Now I can say this is tradition. Haven't had any sightings myself in some time... hopefully we get a few before spring hits from our southern friends.

Re: 2008 Keds Sightings

I saw a few ballet-style flats in the Prime Outlet Mall in Niagara Falls New York. I finally got the chance to pick up some keds for $9.99 on a boxing week sale at Stride-rite in the mall. Got a few pairs for the missus. A tan/brown plaid patterened pair laceless slip-on champ. I don't love the sole as much as previous versions but it does have that nice smell and the top portion of the shoe is hot - so i will enjoy while I can.

MK

Two nights ago I saw a kinda nerdy-cute, guessing late teens girl at the coffee shop at Barnes & Noble. I don't want to say chunky, but a bit on the full side, still leaning towards cute. She was wearing a grey sweater, black jeans and bright navy champs that were well worn. Even had a couple holes in the side on one.

There is a lady in my neighborhood that wears classic canvas white lace up keds. I have known her for about 2 years and she is truly a keds lady. She is mid-30's, couple kids. She is nothing special to look at except for the keds and she is very nice. I see her about 1X per month. I saw her a couple days after Christmas walking to her car in a parking lot with her Keds on. I stopped and said Hi-Merry Christmas etc.. She was very friendly. I made small talk then pointed down to her sneaks. I said, Hey, r those keds? She was engaging. I told her my wife likes them etc. She said she loves them. Only wears them. I asked her if she had any problems with the bottoms wearing out etc. She Showed me the bottoms- while telling me they get smooth but they are still really comfortable. I said, wow-looks like you really wear these a lot-looks like they must be really comfy huh? The soles were really smooth(the way I like them) It was so cool. Talked to her about 2/3 minutes about the sneaks. It was like she was an advocate for Keds and didnt mind the topic AT ALL. Didnt want to get too crazy or cause suspicion so I didn't go too much further. However, i did told her( i was making a little lite of the situation and a bit of a joke but man was I serious) that i'll be watching for her wearing those keds and she'll have to give me an update when I see her. Told her it looks like you'll be getting a new pair soon huh? She said, she really likes to wear them til there very worn but she'd be in the market soon. I made the conversation light and funny but she was into it. I told her a relative of mine worked for a shoe company and maybe I get her a comp pair of keds when she was ready. She seemed open to my supplying her with a new pair. I smiled and told her to let me know. I also told her not to get rid of the old one's -my wife really likes them worn in too and i'd be happy to swap out the new pair for the old pair if she was going to throw them away. She laughed and said - "Really? Well, lets see in a month or so". Oh boy!

There is a lady in my neighborhood that wears classic canvas white lace up keds. I have known her for about 2 years and she is truly a keds lady. She is mid-30's, couple kids. She is nothing special to look at except for the keds and she is very nice. I see her about 1X per month. I saw her a couple days after Christmas walking to her car in a parking lot with her Keds on. I stopped and said Hi-Merry Christmas etc.. She was very friendly. I made small talk then pointed down to her sneaks. I said, Hey, r those keds? She was engaging. I told her my wife likes them etc. She said she loves them. Only wears them. I asked her if she had any problems with the bottoms wearing out etc. She Showed me the bottoms- while telling me they get smooth but they are still really comfortable. I said, wow-looks like you really wear these a lot-looks like they must be really comfy huh? The soles were really smooth(the way I like them) It was so cool. Talked to her about 2/3 minutes about the sneaks. It was like she was an advocate for Keds and didnt mind the topic AT ALL. Didnt want to get too crazy or cause suspicion so I didn't go too much further. However, i did told her( i was making a little lite of the situation and a bit of a joke but man was I serious) that i'll be watching for her wearing those keds and she'll have to give me an update when I see her. Told her it looks like you'll be getting a new pair soon huh? She said, she really likes to wear them til there very worn but she'd be in the market soon. I made the conversation light and funny but she was into it. I told her a relative of mine worked for a shoe company and maybe I get her a comp pair of keds when she was ready. She seemed open to my supplying her with a new pair. I smiled and told her to let me know. I also told her not to get rid of the old one's -my wife really likes them worn in too and i'd be happy to swap out the new pair for the old pair if she was going to throw them away. She laughed and said - "Really? Well, lets see in a month or so". Oh boy!

Sounds like this should be under the heading DREAM COME TRUE. LOL

Sounds like this should be under the heading DREAM COME TRUE. LOL

No kidding.

My first sighting in 2008 was my sister in-law, wearing her old canvas c.1992 Baseball Keds. She has just had her second child, and as she put it, "no other shoes fit. But I love my Keds!" after my wife asked about them.

Yesterday I was at the dentist office with my son. A young teenage girl who I would say was about 13 - 14 years of age was wearing a pair of white and lime green champion chatham luxe cvo. I was really surprised to see a young girl in keds. Especially around here. Most people wear their sandals or flip flops. I was going to snap a picture with my phone but was unable to because my son was right next to me. Here is a picture I found on the web. It was kind of hard to find. Keds dont have them on their line up any more.

Attachments

• 161840_93.jpg
    161840_93.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0

This afternoon I was at the high school where my sister attends and it was the end of the day when had to I pick her up. This girl (looked to be a senior) I saw while I was waiting out front had on a pretty nice outfit with skinny jeans, kind-of having a hipster theme going on. And the real kicker was her really worn-in white canvas Keds, no laces, with rips and holes on the side, outsoles coming apart, and really dingy and yellow. By far the most worn-in Keds I've seen to date. I started the conversation with her saying "cool shoes", and how did she get them into the condition they're in. She said she had them for quite a while and they got dirty really quick, but really loves them and is the most comfortable shoes she has in her collection. I asked her what the insides look like, she slipped-off one shoe and I identify it as the Champ 2K3 version with the terry cloth insole, though very yellow and dingy as the rest of the shoe, and the old outsole without the fuzzy crap. Luckily I wore the same ones, though much cleaner and still bright white, and we were comparing the two side by side. Her's was a size 7.5, I wear an 8. She said that my shoes really fit-in with the outfit I was wearing (plaid buttoned oxford shirt under navy blue wool sweater and slim jeans). Told her these are the womens Keds, though the mens Keds are coming back in, and she said "hey, whatever works, that's cool". And she also added keep wearing them and they'll be in the condition like hers in no time. Ended the conversation when her friend came by.

Cool chick, she has good taste.

Spent the weekend in Barrie skiing at the Horseshoe Valley Resort. Was quite fun. On the way back I stopped in at the Cookstown Outlet Mall on Hwy #400 (this is near Toronto, ON for you non-canucks). They have a brand new Stride-Rite Outlet there! I was soooo happy. They had Keds on sale for $18.99. What was even better was the extremely cute asian girl - i daresay she could be a teen but asians look so young even though they are 40 - she was trying on a hot pair of red champs. Oooooo eeeeee.

Was a good day.

Back
Top Bottom