RonR

Gold Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
Write a story about Beth, a 19 year old college girl who is on her way to meet some friends for tennis. She didn't have her car so she had to walk to the courts and decides to take a shortcut through the woods. Beth is wearing a pink top, white skirt and new white canvas Tretorns with a pink stripe that matches her shirt.

Describe her being very determined and confident to stay clean. Tell how she goes from being completely spotless to on her backside in the mud ruining her tennis outfit and her new Tretorns. The transition from clean to dirty has to be all at once. No gradually getting dirty.

Describe her shock, anger and frustration and comments she makes to herself on her walk through her fall.

Beth loved tennis. It was her escape, her passion, and ever since she'd taken to the courts in high school, it had become a ritual for her to meet up with her friends on Saturdays for a competitive game. Today was no different—besides the fact that her car was in the shop, and she had to walk to the tennis courts just outside the college campus.

As she left her dorm room, she made sure she looked immaculate. A light, pink athletic top paired perfectly with her freshly washed white tennis skirt, flaring just slightly above her knees. Her pride and joy, though, were her new Tretorns. Crisp white canvas, sporting a vivid pink stripe that matched her top so flawlessly it was like they were meant to be worn together. She admired them for a final time as she laced them neatly, thinking about how this was their first day out in the world.

With a quick check, she threw her racket bag over her shoulder, clenched her water bottle and confidently strode out the door. Her route to the courts was typically straightforward, but today, by necessity, she'd try something different: a shortcut through the woods adjacent to the campus.

"It'll save me at least ten minutes," she said under her breath as she approached the entrance to the trail.

Leaves rustled gently underfoot as Beth started down the narrow path. She was focused, determined to reach the courts on time with that same pristine appearance she'd left her dorm with. The thought of getting dirty never even crossed her mind, even as the woods unfolded into higher, muddier terrain.

"I’m careful. I’ll make it," she reassured herself, keenly watching her steps and hopping over any puddles the recent rains had left behind.

As she continued deeper into the woods, she felt the slight crunch of gravel under her perfect Tretorns, but that was nothing. She walked with a sense of invulnerability, knowing she could handle this shortcut just fine… until the path ahead shifted slightly downhill. Her pace slowed, and with that old warning her mom had often given echoing in her head, “Don’t rush. It’s how you end up a mess,” Beth carefully placed one foot in front of the other, her eyes glancing down every few steps to make sure the Tretorns stayed as clean as they could.

The ground gradually became slicker, but Beth kept her cool. “Pace yourself, just a little farther, and—”

A sudden lurch interrupted her thoughts. Her foot caught a root half-buried in the mud—a root she hadn’t noticed but hit with just enough momentum to unbalance her completely.

Before she could even process it, everything happened at lightning speed. One second, she was upright, clean, composed—and the next, she was locked in mid-air, arms flailing and mouth forming a breathless gasp. Her shoe skidded on a thick patch of mud, and in a single frightening, heart-stopping instant, her entire world flipped.

She landed with a wet THUD on her backside, skidding through the mud like a stone across water. Arms flopped about uselessly as she tried to catch herself, though all that did was send her sliding farther along the slick ground.

Mud splattered in every direction—a thick, heavy mess that swallowed Beth’s once-flawless ensemble. Her white skirt, now soiled and clinging to her legs, had taken the brunt of the fall. Mud climbed rapidly up her thighs and past her waist until it stained her skirt beyond repair. The light pink of her shirt, too, was streaked with dark brown splotches that suddenly seemed to multiply every time she dared to move. Then, the worst part—her new white canvas Tretorns, those shoes she'd carefully chosen to complement her top, were now unrecognizable beneath thick globs of muck. Only the faint outline of the once-bright pink stripe was visible beneath layers of dripping filth.

For a few stunned moments, Beth just sat there—her body frozen, and her mind catching up to the disaster. Her arms, once strong and poised for serving aces, were now trembling from the shock and frustration.

Her mouth finally caught up with her brain, and words flowed as she stared in disbelief at the mess. "You've got to be kidding me. Are you serious right now?" Her voice vibrated with a stifled anger, rising through clenched teeth. She tried to push herself up, but the mud gave in, sucking her arms deeper into the filth.

“Oh, come on!” she seethed. “I was so careful—so careful. The stark contrast between her determination to stay pristine, and the unavoidable reality of her current ruin, was almost comical—if only it weren’t happening to her.

Shaking her head, Beth managed to stand, her legs slipping slightly as she struggled to regain balance. She glanced downward at the wreckage of her outfit and groaned. "Great... just perfect," she muttered, throwing frustrated glances down at her shoes, now weighed down by fresh, heavy sludge.

Anger bubbling up at the unfairness of it all, Beth tugged at bits of mud encrusted around her shirt and skirt. “I just bought these freaking shoes!” She shot a glance toward the sneakers, now rendered entirely unrecognizable. “I didn’t even get to the courts, and they look like I went hiking through a swamp!”

She was dangerously close to throwing her racket bag onto the ground in disgust, but managed to hold back, her knuckles whitening around the strap. The sheer frustration had her biting her lip hard.

“This shortcut was a terrible idea. What was I even thinking?!” The blame game began to circle in her mind, though she knew deep down it was no one’s fault but her own impatience.

As she looked around, there was no magic way to reverse time. With a shaky sigh, she resigned herself to plodding the rest of the way to the tennis courts, completely aware that she was now walking in splattered modicum shoes that squished with each step.

“Yeah, sure. Let’s see the rest of the day get worse,” she muttered sarcastically under her breath. “How on earth am I supposed to focus on tennis like this?”

The woods, oblivious to her personal disaster, went on in silence, the ground soft beneath her feet. Beth grimaced and mumbled one last thing as she stomped forward, glaring at the streaks on her clothes. "I swear, the minute I'm finished with this game...” But the threat was never fully formed, drowned out by the sound of squelching shoes and her growing acceptance that things couldn’t have gone more wrong.

Determined or not, fate had different plans for her and those doomed-but-adorable white Tretorns.

Beth loved tennis. It was her escape, her passion, and ever since she'd taken to the courts in high school, it had become a ritual for her to meet up with her friends on Saturdays for a competitive game. Today was no different—besides the fact that her car was in the shop, and she had to walk to the tennis courts just outside the college campus.

As she left her dorm room, she made sure she looked immaculate. A light, pink athletic top paired perfectly with her freshly washed white tennis skirt, flaring just slightly above her knees. Her pride and joy, though, were her new Tretorns. Crisp white canvas, sporting a vivid pink stripe that matched her top so flawlessly it was like they were meant to be worn together. She admired them for a final time as she laced them neatly, thinking about how this was their first day out in the world.

With a quick check, she threw her racket bag over her shoulder, clenched her water bottle and confidently strode out the door. Her route to the courts was typically straightforward, but today, by necessity, she'd try something different: a shortcut through the woods adjacent to the campus.

"It'll save me at least ten minutes," she said under her breath as she approached the entrance to the trail.

Leaves rustled gently underfoot as Beth started down the narrow path. She was focused, determined to reach the courts on time with that same pristine appearance she'd left her dorm with. The thought of getting dirty never even crossed her mind, even as the woods unfolded into higher, muddier terrain.

"I’m careful. I’ll make it," she reassured herself, keenly watching her steps and hopping over any puddles the recent rains had left behind.

As she continued deeper into the woods, she felt the slight crunch of gravel under her perfect Tretorns, but that was nothing. She walked with a sense of invulnerability, knowing she could handle this shortcut just fine… until the path ahead shifted slightly downhill. Her pace slowed, and with that old warning her mom had often given echoing in her head, “Don’t rush. It’s how you end up a mess,” Beth carefully placed one foot in front of the other, her eyes glancing down every few steps to make sure the Tretorns stayed as clean as they could.

The ground gradually became slicker, but Beth kept her cool. “Pace yourself, just a little farther, and—”

A sudden lurch interrupted her thoughts. Her foot caught a root half-buried in the mud—a root she hadn’t noticed but hit with just enough momentum to unbalance her completely.

Before she could even process it, everything happened at lightning speed. One second, she was upright, clean, composed—and the next, she was locked in mid-air, arms flailing and mouth forming a breathless gasp. Her shoe skidded on a thick patch of mud, and in a single frightening, heart-stopping instant, her entire world flipped.

She landed with a wet THUD on her backside, skidding through the mud like a stone across water. Arms flopped about uselessly as she tried to catch herself, though all that did was send her sliding farther along the slick ground.

Mud splattered in every direction—a thick, heavy mess that swallowed Beth’s once-flawless ensemble. Her white skirt, now soiled and clinging to her legs, had taken the brunt of the fall. Mud climbed rapidly up her thighs and past her waist until it stained her skirt beyond repair. The light pink of her shirt, too, was streaked with dark brown splotches that suddenly seemed to multiply every time she dared to move. Then, the worst part—her new white canvas Tretorns, those shoes she'd carefully chosen to complement her top, were now unrecognizable beneath thick globs of muck. Only the faint outline of the once-bright pink stripe was visible beneath layers of dripping filth.

For a few stunned moments, Beth just sat there—her body frozen, and her mind catching up to the disaster. Her arms, once strong and poised for serving aces, were now trembling from the shock and frustration.

Her mouth finally caught up with her brain, and words flowed as she stared in disbelief at the mess. "You've got to be kidding me. Are you serious right now?" Her voice vibrated with a stifled anger, rising through clenched teeth. She tried to push herself up, but the mud gave in, sucking her arms deeper into the filth.

“Oh, come on!” she seethed. “I was so careful—so careful. The stark contrast between her determination to stay pristine, and the unavoidable reality of her current ruin, was almost comical—if only it weren’t happening to her.

Shaking her head, Beth managed to stand, her legs slipping slightly as she struggled to regain balance. She glanced downward at the wreckage of her outfit and groaned. "Great... just perfect," she muttered, throwing frustrated glances down at her shoes, now weighed down by fresh, heavy sludge.

Anger bubbling up at the unfairness of it all, Beth tugged at bits of mud encrusted around her shirt and skirt. “I just bought these freaking shoes!” She shot a glance toward the sneakers, now rendered entirely unrecognizable. “I didn’t even get to the courts, and they look like I went hiking through a swamp!”

She was dangerously close to throwing her racket bag onto the ground in disgust, but managed to hold back, her knuckles whitening around the strap. The sheer frustration had her biting her lip hard.

“This shortcut was a terrible idea. What was I even thinking?!” The blame game began to circle in her mind, though she knew deep down it was no one’s fault but her own impatience.

As she looked around, there was no magic way to reverse time. With a shaky sigh, she resigned herself to plodding the rest of the way to the tennis courts, completely aware that she was now walking in splattered modicum shoes that squished with each step.

“Yeah, sure. Let’s see the rest of the day get worse,” she muttered sarcastically under her breath. “How on earth am I supposed to focus on tennis like this?”

The woods, oblivious to her personal disaster, went on in silence, the ground soft beneath her feet. Beth grimaced and mumbled one last thing as she stomped forward, glaring at the streaks on her clothes. "I swear, the minute I'm finished with this game...” But the threat was never fully formed, drowned out by the sound of squelching shoes and her growing acceptance that things couldn’t have gone more wrong.

Determined or not, fate had different plans for her and those doomed-but-adorable white Tretorns.
Change her fall into the mud to her still being spotless to trying to jump over a large goopy mud puddle to where she just barely makes it but loses her balance and falls backwards into the disgusting mud. Describe her thoughts and comments from start to finish.

Change her fall into the mud to her still being spotless to trying to jump over a large goopy mud puddle to where she just barely makes it but loses her balance and falls backwards into the disgusting mud. Describe her thoughts and comments from start to finish.
Beth loved tennis. It was her escape, her passion, and she was looking forward to meeting up with her friends on the courts for their usual Saturday game. Today, though, there was one complication: her car was in the shop. She didn't mind walking, though. After all, it was a perfect day for it, warm with a slight breeze, and she could get to the courts in about 20 minutes.

But Beth wasn't just walking to play tennis—she was walking in style. She’d taken the time to assemble a flawless outfit, eager to show off her new purchases. Her light pink athletic top hugged her shoulders just right, while her pristine white tennis skirt flared out with each confident step. And, of course, her pièce de résistance: those crisp, new white canvas Tretorns with delicate pink stripes that perfectly matched her shirt. The shoes were practically glowing.

As Beth laced up her shoes, giving them a quick last-minute appreciative glance, she couldn't help but smile. It was their debut, and she was determined to keep them spotless for as long as possible. Slinging her tennis racket bag over her shoulder, she left her dorm with boundless energy, determination in her step.

Her usual route to the courts would’ve taken her around the grounds, but since she was tight on time, Beth opted for a "shortcut" through the woods adjacent to the campus. It seemed like a win-win—a faster route, plus she'd get to enjoy some nature.

“It’ll save me at least ten minutes,” she reassured herself with confidence as she took her first steps into the forested path.

The shade provided by the trees was a welcome respite from the sun, but the scent of damp earth lingered—it had rained the night before, leaving the ground soft and still drying. But Beth wasn’t worried. She was careful.

"I'm not getting dirty today," she muttered under her breath, being extra mindful of where she placed her feet. She deliberately avoided the small mushy spots, stepping over stray puddles with gymnast-like precision. Every so often, she'd look down at her spotless sneakers, finding satisfaction in how clean they still were. Her Tretorns were pristine—her sneakers still bouncing with that new-shoe confidence.

The path took a slight downhill dip, but Beth managed to keep her balance, expertly negotiating roots and rocks. She spotted the clearing ahead—the edge of the woods. She was almost out and still completely clean! A small smirk played on her lips.

But as she rounded a bend, there it was—the final hurdle. A huge, sludgy, goopy puddle of mud stretched across the pathway, nearly the entire width. It was the last remnant of yesterday's rainstorm, a brown, slick obstacle between her and the courts.

Beth stopped abruptly, eyeing the puddle, hands planted on her hips.

"Of course," she muttered sarcastically, sizing it up. There was no way around it—dense bushes lined both sides and crawling through them would definitely ruin her outfit. But vaulting over it? Well, that seemed manageable. She couldn’t help but feel a little thrill at the idea.

"Okay, just a quick leap," Beth whispered to herself, adjusting the racket bag slung over her shoulder. She mentally measured the distance across the puddle; it was doable, not easy, but she was definitely athletic enough to clear it. Of course, she'd have to be perfect—one wrong step and...

Shaking that thought away, Beth focused. She crouched slightly, gauging her takeoff spot on the edge of the puddle. "I've got this. Just one jump and then we're home free," she told herself, mentally bracing.

Taking a deep breath, Beth backed up a few steps before launching herself forward. For a brief, glorious moment, she was airborne—a determined blur of pink, white, and canvas sneakers.

Her foot hit the ground on the other side of the puddle.

I made it! she thought triumphantly, the landing fully intact. But then, just as she exhaled and allowed herself to smile, a sudden wobble shook her balance.

"Whoa, whoa—no, no, no—!" she yelped, arms flailing as she teetered precariously on the edge. Her left foot slipped slightly, still too close to the muddy abyss.

In an instant, Beth’s body betrayed her finest intentions. Her arms windmilled—a frantic effort to right herself—but gravity had already decided her fate. She felt it before it happened, the slow-motion lean backward, the grip her sneakers didn't have on the soft ground.

"Oh no," was all she managed to whisper before time sped up and she fell.

With an absolutely undignified splat, Beth landed squarely on her back, sinking into the most vile, sludgy part of the mud puddle. On impact, the goop splattered everywhere—mud slathered her legs, her arms, even smattering across her face as she lay there, utterly helpless in the mess she'd just tried to avoid.

For a moment, everything was so quiet that she could hear the soft plop of residual mud droplets as they fell from her shoes, her racket bag, and her skirt. Her once-flawless white skirt was now utterly drenched in slick, earthy sludge, and her beautiful pink shirt? It was stained almost beyond recognition. A large dark brown smear ran from her waist all the way to her chest. And then, of course, the shoes—that vivid pink stripe was caked in thick, disgusting mud. There was no trace of white left anywhere on them. Not even a hint of the perfect outfit she had worked so hard to preserve.

Beth blinked once, twice. She lay still, barely able to process the catastrophe. Was this real? How had things changed in the blink of an eye? Her mouth opened, the words stuck somewhere between disbelief and helpless frustration.

"This cannot be happening," she whispered, her voice a mix of disbelief and pending rage. She slowly moved her arms to sit up, feeling the squelch of the soaked earth as the muddy goo seeped into every fiber of her clothes.

"I. Just. Bought. These." she groaned, her voice rising with each word. She sat there, staring angrily at the ruin of her once-pristine outfit. "These were new. BRAND. NEW." Her eyes glared down at her Tretorns, now nothing more than two sludge-covered blobs on her feet.

She shook her head in frustration, letting out a deep, exasperated sigh. “Great job, Beth. Really great job.”

With a deep breath to calm herself, she scanned the surroundings again, this time resigned to her fate. The courts were still ahead, but all dignity was behind her. She was covered from head to toe in cold, wet mud, and the worst part? She’d been so close to avoiding it. So, so close.

Grimacing and trying to avoid another fall, Beth pushed herself upright, the mud making an awful sucking noise as she struggled to free herself. She gave one last defeated look at her sludgy reflection in the puddle.

"Shortcut," she muttered sarcastically to herself. "Yeah, right. I'm never doing that again."

Beth loved tennis. It was her escape, her passion, and she was looking forward to meeting up with her friends on the courts for their usual Saturday game. Today, though, there was one complication: her car was in the shop. She didn't mind walking, though. After all, it was a perfect day for it, warm with a slight breeze, and she could get to the courts in about 20 minutes.

But Beth wasn't just walking to play tennis—she was walking in style. She’d taken the time to assemble a flawless outfit, eager to show off her new purchases. Her light pink athletic top hugged her shoulders just right, while her pristine white tennis skirt flared out with each confident step. And, of course, her pièce de résistance: those crisp, new white canvas Tretorns with delicate pink stripes that perfectly matched her shirt. The shoes were practically glowing.

As Beth laced up her shoes, giving them a quick last-minute appreciative glance, she couldn't help but smile. It was their debut, and she was determined to keep them spotless for as long as possible. Slinging her tennis racket bag over her shoulder, she left her dorm with boundless energy, determination in her step.

Her usual route to the courts would’ve taken her around the grounds, but since she was tight on time, Beth opted for a "shortcut" through the woods adjacent to the campus. It seemed like a win-win—a faster route, plus she'd get to enjoy some nature.

“It’ll save me at least ten minutes,” she reassured herself with confidence as she took her first steps into the forested path.

The shade provided by the trees was a welcome respite from the sun, but the scent of damp earth lingered—it had rained the night before, leaving the ground soft and still drying. But Beth wasn’t worried. She was careful.

"I'm not getting dirty today," she muttered under her breath, being extra mindful of where she placed her feet. She deliberately avoided the small mushy spots, stepping over stray puddles with gymnast-like precision. Every so often, she'd look down at her spotless sneakers, finding satisfaction in how clean they still were. Her Tretorns were pristine—her sneakers still bouncing with that new-shoe confidence.

The path took a slight downhill dip, but Beth managed to keep her balance, expertly negotiating roots and rocks. She spotted the clearing ahead—the edge of the woods. She was almost out and still completely clean! A small smirk played on her lips.

But as she rounded a bend, there it was—the final hurdle. A huge, sludgy, goopy puddle of mud stretched across the pathway, nearly the entire width. It was the last remnant of yesterday's rainstorm, a brown, slick obstacle between her and the courts.

Beth stopped abruptly, eyeing the puddle, hands planted on her hips.

"Of course," she muttered sarcastically, sizing it up. There was no way around it—dense bushes lined both sides and crawling through them would definitely ruin her outfit. But vaulting over it? Well, that seemed manageable. She couldn’t help but feel a little thrill at the idea.

"Okay, just a quick leap," Beth whispered to herself, adjusting the racket bag slung over her shoulder. She mentally measured the distance across the puddle; it was doable, not easy, but she was definitely athletic enough to clear it. Of course, she'd have to be perfect—one wrong step and...

Shaking that thought away, Beth focused. She crouched slightly, gauging her takeoff spot on the edge of the puddle. "I've got this. Just one jump and then we're home free," she told herself, mentally bracing.

Taking a deep breath, Beth backed up a few steps before launching herself forward. For a brief, glorious moment, she was airborne—a determined blur of pink, white, and canvas sneakers.

Her foot hit the ground on the other side of the puddle.

I made it! she thought triumphantly, the landing fully intact. But then, just as she exhaled and allowed herself to smile, a sudden wobble shook her balance.

"Whoa, whoa—no, no, no—!" she yelped, arms flailing as she teetered precariously on the edge. Her left foot slipped slightly, still too close to the muddy abyss.

In an instant, Beth’s body betrayed her finest intentions. Her arms windmilled—a frantic effort to right herself—but gravity had already decided her fate. She felt it before it happened, the slow-motion lean backward, the grip her sneakers didn't have on the soft ground.

"Oh no," was all she managed to whisper before time sped up and she fell.

With an absolutely undignified splat, Beth landed squarely on her back, sinking into the most vile, sludgy part of the mud puddle. On impact, the goop splattered everywhere—mud slathered her legs, her arms, even smattering across her face as she lay there, utterly helpless in the mess she'd just tried to avoid.

For a moment, everything was so quiet that she could hear the soft plop of residual mud droplets as they fell from her shoes, her racket bag, and her skirt. Her once-flawless white skirt was now utterly drenched in slick, earthy sludge, and her beautiful pink shirt? It was stained almost beyond recognition. A large dark brown smear ran from her waist all the way to her chest. And then, of course, the shoes—that vivid pink stripe was caked in thick, disgusting mud. There was no trace of white left anywhere on them. Not even a hint of the perfect outfit she had worked so hard to preserve.

Beth blinked once, twice. She lay still, barely able to process the catastrophe. Was this real? How had things changed in the blink of an eye? Her mouth opened, the words stuck somewhere between disbelief and helpless frustration.

"This cannot be happening," she whispered, her voice a mix of disbelief and pending rage. She slowly moved her arms to sit up, feeling the squelch of the soaked earth as the muddy goo seeped into every fiber of her clothes.

"I. Just. Bought. These." she groaned, her voice rising with each word. She sat there, staring angrily at the ruin of her once-pristine outfit. "These were new. BRAND. NEW." Her eyes glared down at her Tretorns, now nothing more than two sludge-covered blobs on her feet.

She shook her head in frustration, letting out a deep, exasperated sigh. “Great job, Beth. Really great job.”

With a deep breath to calm herself, she scanned the surroundings again, this time resigned to her fate. The courts were still ahead, but all dignity was behind her. She was covered from head to toe in cold, wet mud, and the worst part? She’d been so close to avoiding it. So, so close.

Grimacing and trying to avoid another fall, Beth pushed herself upright, the mud making an awful sucking noise as she struggled to free herself. She gave one last defeated look at her sludgy reflection in the puddle.

"Shortcut," she muttered sarcastically to herself. "Yeah, right. I'm never doing that again."
Describe Beth’s disgust with the feeling and visual of muddy water expelling from the vent holes with each step. Just a few minutes earlier they were pristine. Depressing.

Describe Beth’s disgust with the feeling and visual of muddy water expelling from the vent holes with each step. Just a few minutes earlier they were pristine. Depressing.
Beth stood there for a moment—mud-soaked, shell-shocked, and utterly humiliated. She could hear the soft, grotesque squelch that her shoes made as she shifted uncomfortably, trying to find her footing on the slippery, treacherous ground. The once-crisp feeling of her new, pristine Tretorns had been completely obliterated. Now, they were a heavy, muddy disaster clinging to her feet.

She looked down, heart sinking in a way that was almost physical. Her perfect white sneakers, decked out with that cute pink stripe that matched her top so well, were now unrecognizable. The canvas had turned into a dark, sludgy mess, thoroughly soaked in mud. The pink stripe? Barely visible beneath layers of grime. She felt a wave of disgust wash over her as she gingerly lifted one foot.

With a squelch, mud oozed out of the tiny vent holes on the side of her Tretorns, bubbling up and expelling in a small, miserable dribble. Beth froze, her lip curling in revulsion. It was as if the shoes were breathing out the muck that had filled them, as if mocking her for all her earlier efforts at staying clean and composed.

"Oh my God. That is so gross," she muttered to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. An overwhelming wave of disgust prickled against her skin. The feeling of the cold, wet mud squishing between her toes made her stomach churn. Every step released another tiny fountain of muddy water through the vent holes—little spurts erupting with the saddest of sounds, reminding her with each miserable, wet step just how far she'd fallen from her once-pristine state.

"Ugh, why did they have to put holes in the shoes?" she groaned, as another step released an even louder squelch. She dared to take another look down, realizing instantly how much she hated what she saw. There was no fixing this.

Just a few minutes ago, she had been gliding through the woods expertly, her Tretorns dancing over obstacles like they were untouchable, untouched. She’d glanced down at them proudly, downright smug at their perfection. But now? Her white sneakers were anything but. Mud clung to them like a thick, suffocating second skin. The delicate canvas was soaked, no longer its pristine white, but an unappealing brown-gray slop. The vents along the sides—intended for breathability and comfort—were now nothing more than tunnels for the filth to seep in and seep out, pumping out their gloppy wet cargo with every step.

Her mind latched onto how hopelessly depressing the contrast was. Her shoes had been brand new, fresh out of the box, only hours earlier. They were supposed to have stayed clean, bright, and perfect for at least a little while—a sensible debut at the courts, rather than this… sludge-covered disaster. She swallowed down a hard lump of frustration.

"I can’t believe this," she muttered again, not sure if she was talking to herself or if she was blaming the world as a whole. She lifted her other foot, and sure enough, the same sad, wet sound of sloshing muck followed. A miserable reminder of her current, filthy reality. Mud gushed out through the side vents again before dripping down the sides of the shoes. The vent holes—those same ones that were supposed to make her feel light and comfortable—were now nothing more than tiny fountains of filth.

Her teeth clenched in frustration. "They were so perfect! How did this happen so fast…?" she mumbled, throwing her arms up in defeat. It felt like some cruel joke being played on her by the world.

Every step was unbearable now. Each shift of her weight led to that revolting, sucking sensation inside her shoes. It wasn’t just the feeling of mud anymore—it was mud-infused water that now coated her feet, squishing and sloshing between her toes, with no means of escape except through those foreboding vent holes.

With each slurp and splort from her shoes, Beth could feel small trickles of cold, muddy water tickling her socks, wicking up against her skin. Her mood darkened more with every step. "Just perfect," she grumbled, biting back the primal urge to scream at the unfairness of it all.

"I can't even pretend these are salvageable," she muttered dejectedly. "They're ruined. Completely... ruined." She dragged one muddy shoe forward, lifting it just high enough to notice yet another disgusting glob of brown water plop onto the ground next to her sinking footprint. The once-light tread of her shoes had turned into a heavy, sludge-filled stomp.

Beth couldn’t even bring herself to wipe them off. What was the point? Clean white tennis shoes were now the stuff of dreams—completely unreachable. Looking at them seemed to deepen her mood even further. The hopelessness of it all clamped down around her chest as her shoulders slumped.

"I was so careful," she muttered under her breath. "So careful…" Her mind replayed the confidence she’d had just minutes earlier, gingerly stepping around every obstacle, choosing her steps meticulously. And now this.

Depressing didn’t even seem like the right word anymore. No—it was an outright disaster. All she could do now was walk the rest of the way to the courts, her once-pristine shoes molding themselves into mud clogs with every disgusting step they took.

The infuriating squelch reminded her—again and again—that there was no going back.

Beth stood there for a moment—mud-soaked, shell-shocked, and utterly humiliated. She could hear the soft, grotesque squelch that her shoes made as she shifted uncomfortably, trying to find her footing on the slippery, treacherous ground. The once-crisp feeling of her new, pristine Tretorns had been completely obliterated. Now, they were a heavy, muddy disaster clinging to her feet.

She looked down, heart sinking in a way that was almost physical. Her perfect white sneakers, decked out with that cute pink stripe that matched her top so well, were now unrecognizable. The canvas had turned into a dark, sludgy mess, thoroughly soaked in mud. The pink stripe? Barely visible beneath layers of grime. She felt a wave of disgust wash over her as she gingerly lifted one foot.

With a squelch, mud oozed out of the tiny vent holes on the side of her Tretorns, bubbling up and expelling in a small, miserable dribble. Beth froze, her lip curling in revulsion. It was as if the shoes were breathing out the muck that had filled them, as if mocking her for all her earlier efforts at staying clean and composed.

"Oh my God. That is so gross," she muttered to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. An overwhelming wave of disgust prickled against her skin. The feeling of the cold, wet mud squishing between her toes made her stomach churn. Every step released another tiny fountain of muddy water through the vent holes—little spurts erupting with the saddest of sounds, reminding her with each miserable, wet step just how far she'd fallen from her once-pristine state.

"Ugh, why did they have to put holes in the shoes?" she groaned, as another step released an even louder squelch. She dared to take another look down, realizing instantly how much she hated what she saw. There was no fixing this.

Just a few minutes ago, she had been gliding through the woods expertly, her Tretorns dancing over obstacles like they were untouchable, untouched. She’d glanced down at them proudly, downright smug at their perfection. But now? Her white sneakers were anything but. Mud clung to them like a thick, suffocating second skin. The delicate canvas was soaked, no longer its pristine white, but an unappealing brown-gray slop. The vents along the sides—intended for breathability and comfort—were now nothing more than tunnels for the filth to seep in and seep out, pumping out their gloppy wet cargo with every step.

Her mind latched onto how hopelessly depressing the contrast was. Her shoes had been brand new, fresh out of the box, only hours earlier. They were supposed to have stayed clean, bright, and perfect for at least a little while—a sensible debut at the courts, rather than this… sludge-covered disaster. She swallowed down a hard lump of frustration.

"I can’t believe this," she muttered again, not sure if she was talking to herself or if she was blaming the world as a whole. She lifted her other foot, and sure enough, the same sad, wet sound of sloshing muck followed. A miserable reminder of her current, filthy reality. Mud gushed out through the side vents again before dripping down the sides of the shoes. The vent holes—those same ones that were supposed to make her feel light and comfortable—were now nothing more than tiny fountains of filth.

Her teeth clenched in frustration. "They were so perfect! How did this happen so fast…?" she mumbled, throwing her arms up in defeat. It felt like some cruel joke being played on her by the world.

Every step was unbearable now. Each shift of her weight led to that revolting, sucking sensation inside her shoes. It wasn’t just the feeling of mud anymore—it was mud-infused water that now coated her feet, squishing and sloshing between her toes, with no means of escape except through those foreboding vent holes.

With each slurp and splort from her shoes, Beth could feel small trickles of cold, muddy water tickling her socks, wicking up against her skin. Her mood darkened more with every step. "Just perfect," she grumbled, biting back the primal urge to scream at the unfairness of it all.

"I can't even pretend these are salvageable," she muttered dejectedly. "They're ruined. Completely... ruined." She dragged one muddy shoe forward, lifting it just high enough to notice yet another disgusting glob of brown water plop onto the ground next to her sinking footprint. The once-light tread of her shoes had turned into a heavy, sludge-filled stomp.

Beth couldn’t even bring herself to wipe them off. What was the point? Clean white tennis shoes were now the stuff of dreams—completely unreachable. Looking at them seemed to deepen her mood even further. The hopelessness of it all clamped down around her chest as her shoulders slumped.

"I was so careful," she muttered under her breath. "So careful…" Her mind replayed the confidence she’d had just minutes earlier, gingerly stepping around every obstacle, choosing her steps meticulously. And now this.

Depressing didn’t even seem like the right word anymore. No—it was an outright disaster. All she could do now was walk the rest of the way to the courts, her once-pristine shoes molding themselves into mud clogs with every disgusting step they took.

The infuriating squelch reminded her—again and again—that there was no going back.
She had no choice but to continue to the courts to let her opponent know that she couldn’t play.

Dejected and embarrassed, she slogged her way to the courts and made contact with bitchy Anne who immediately started laughing at her.

Jan sheepishly explained what happened and Anne continued her ribbing calling her the clumsiest person that she had ever met.

Anne was wearing a white tennis dress with what appeared to be very new white canvas Tretorns with the white stripe. White from head to toe.

Anne kept asking Jan how such a thing happened.

She had no choice but to continue to the courts to let her opponent know that she couldn’t play.

Dejected and embarrassed, she slogged her way to the courts and made contact with bitchy Anne who immediately started laughing at her.

Jan sheepishly explained what happened and Anne continued her ribbing calling her the clumsiest person that she had ever met.

Anne was wearing a white tennis dress with what appeared to be very new white canvas Tretorns with the white stripe. White from head to toe.

Anne kept asking Jan how such a thing happened.
Beth had no choice but to continue toward the courts.

Though every step felt like a betrayal—the squelch of her once-perfect shoes mocking her with each movement—she pressed on. Her body felt heavy with the mud weighing her down, like she was dragging her own embarrassment through the woodsy trail. The pristine confidence she’d carried mere minutes ago had long evaporated, replaced by a sinking feeling that grew worse with each squishy step.

As the courts came into view, her stomach twisted even tighter. Anne was already there, warming up on the far side, practicing her signature serve with a smug, self-assured attitude that Beth always found irritating. Anne wasn't necessarily mean—at least not in the obvious sense—but she had that edge, that superior tone that implied she was always two steps ahead of everyone else. And worse, Anne loved a spectacle—especially one at someone else’s expense. Today, Beth knew she was about to become that spectacle.

Dejected, Beth hoped—just for once—that the universe might offer her a break. Maybe Anne wouldn’t notice the state she was in, or maybe she’d squint from afar, see the mud-caked disaster Beth had become, and offer some small sliver of sympathy.

It was a nice thought, but as soon as Anne turned and spotted her, any hope of grace evaporated.

Anne’s smile spread wide as her eyes danced from Beth’s filthy shoes, up along the streaked, soaked mess of her white skirt and pink top, and finally to her disheveled, mud-splattered face. It took all of two seconds before Anne burst into laughter.

"Oh my God—Beth, what happened?!" Anne gasped between laughs, leaning heavily on her racket for support. Tears of amusement actually glistened in her eyes.

Beth forced an awkward laugh but could hear how hollow it sounded. Embarrassment poured over her, a fresh layer beneath the clingy mud that coated her legs. “Yeah, it was, uh… not my day,” she muttered, trying not to meet Anne’s prying gaze directly.

Anne didn’t even try to keep the grin off her face as she slowly walked closer, still holding her racket like a prop for the show. Beth noticed immediately how immaculate Anne looked. She was dressed head-to-toe in dazzling white—fitting for someone who prided herself on perfection. Her clean white tennis dress fluttered as she moved, utterly spotless despite the drying summer air, not even a bead of sweat to mar the image. And then, of course, there were her shoes—white canvas Tretorns with a crisp white stripe, the very symbol of pristine tennis elegance. They were identical to Beth’s, save for the fact that Anne’s looked like they belonged on a magazine cover, untouched, impossibly bright in the sunlight.

The contrast between them couldn’t have been harsher. Anne, essentially glowing. Beth… an absolute mud-splattered, squelching wreck.

“What, did you fall face-first into a swamp or something?” Anne teased, twirling her racket with far too much glee. “You are the clumsiest person I have ever seen, Beth. Unreal.”

Sighing, Beth rubbed the back of her neck, then gestured toward her shoes and skirt, like it wasn’t already obvious. “I took a shortcut through the woods. There was this massive mud puddle, and I thought I could jump over it, but I didn’t… quite… make it.” She cringed, recounting the humiliating story. Despite her initial goal of keeping it brief, Anne was eating this up.

Anne, predictably, wasn’t about to let it go. “Wait, wait,” she said through more chuckles, walking a bit closer just to get a better look at the disaster that was Beth’s outfit. “You mean to tell me that you actually try to jump across a giant mud puddle in those—” she pointed down at Beth’s ruined Tretorns, the mud-soaked canvas now more brown than white, “—with your brand new shoes, no less?”

Beth grimaced. "Yeah, that was definitely an error in judgment." She stared down at the very shoes Anne was examining, those once-flawless white sneakers that now sloshed out muddy water with every step. The vent holes—those same ones meant to add airflow and lightness—now spewed out grime each time she shifted uncomfortably on her feet. She could feel the mud squishing between her toes even still, sending waves of disgust through her.

Anne noticed the mess pouring from Beth’s shoes too, and her laughter started up again. “Oh wow, Beth. That is impressive. I mean, I didn’t even think you could mess them up that bad!” She exclaimed, nearly doubling over. “Look at them!” She pointed, practically howling with laughter. “You’ve actually got mud flowing out of them!”

Beth bit the inside of her cheek. She knew Anne liked to pile it on, but this stung. Badly. She just wanted to get through this conversation and hide somewhere before she remembered how much she loved those shoes. Swallowing her pride, she tried to brush off the ribbing with a weak smile and a shrug, but Anne simply wasn’t done.

"So, let me get this straight—I have to know—all that careful planning, getting dressed up in your cute matching outfit, and you ended up like this... ?" Anne gestured dramatically at Beth with both arms, as though she were unveiling a piece of performance art. "How on earth do you even do this to yourself? Seriously, Beth, you might be one of the clumsiest people I know."

Beth stared down at her shoes, biting down the frustration and embarrassment that threatened to boil over. The visual of Anne in all her immaculate, white canvas-clad glory only made the sting deeper. She looked as perfect as Beth had intended to.

Every time Anne asked about how “such a thing” could happen, Beth felt the weight of her clumsiness even more intensely, the shame of poor judgment ringing in her ears with every mocking question.

Anne stepped back a little and spun around in her perfect condition, clearly enjoying herself. “Seriously, though, Beth, I don’t know what I would’ve done if I were in your shoes. Oh—wait—” she feigned surprise, pointing at her spotless, fresh Tretorns with a devilish grin, “—good thing I’m not!”

That was the final bit of salt in the wound. Beth, usually calm and unbothered, forced a deep breath, staring longingly at Anne’s untarnished sneakers and crisp white outfit, knowing hers had no chance of returning to that state.

"Yeah, well, not everyone gets luck on their side every day," Beth said dryly, biting back the harsher words she wanted to say. "I'm sorry, okay? I—I can’t play like this. I just came to tell you, I’m going to sit this one out."

Anne finally stopped laughing, although the amusement still danced in her eyes. "Aww, Beth, such a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing you in action—well, without the mud bath, anyways." She smirked before turning back toward the courts, clearly done with the conversation, leaving Beth standing there, feeling deflated and horribly self-conscious.

At least she wasn’t required to play. That, she thought, was a small blessing. But even then, as Anne hit her first serve and the ball hit the net, Beth still heard a faint, mocking whisper over her shoulder.

“Honestly, Beth… clumsiest person ever.”

Beth sighed, resigned to her defeat for the day.

Beth had no choice but to continue toward the courts.

Though every step felt like a betrayal—the squelch of her once-perfect shoes mocking her with each movement—she pressed on. Her body felt heavy with the mud weighing her down, like she was dragging her own embarrassment through the woodsy trail. The pristine confidence she’d carried mere minutes ago had long evaporated, replaced by a sinking feeling that grew worse with each squishy step.

As the courts came into view, her stomach twisted even tighter. Anne was already there, warming up on the far side, practicing her signature serve with a smug, self-assured attitude that Beth always found irritating. Anne wasn't necessarily mean—at least not in the obvious sense—but she had that edge, that superior tone that implied she was always two steps ahead of everyone else. And worse, Anne loved a spectacle—especially one at someone else’s expense. Today, Beth knew she was about to become that spectacle.

Dejected, Beth hoped—just for once—that the universe might offer her a break. Maybe Anne wouldn’t notice the state she was in, or maybe she’d squint from afar, see the mud-caked disaster Beth had become, and offer some small sliver of sympathy.

It was a nice thought, but as soon as Anne turned and spotted her, any hope of grace evaporated.

Anne’s smile spread wide as her eyes danced from Beth’s filthy shoes, up along the streaked, soaked mess of her white skirt and pink top, and finally to her disheveled, mud-splattered face. It took all of two seconds before Anne burst into laughter.

"Oh my God—Beth, what happened?!" Anne gasped between laughs, leaning heavily on her racket for support. Tears of amusement actually glistened in her eyes.

Beth forced an awkward laugh but could hear how hollow it sounded. Embarrassment poured over her, a fresh layer beneath the clingy mud that coated her legs. “Yeah, it was, uh… not my day,” she muttered, trying not to meet Anne’s prying gaze directly.

Anne didn’t even try to keep the grin off her face as she slowly walked closer, still holding her racket like a prop for the show. Beth noticed immediately how immaculate Anne looked. She was dressed head-to-toe in dazzling white—fitting for someone who prided herself on perfection. Her clean white tennis dress fluttered as she moved, utterly spotless despite the drying summer air, not even a bead of sweat to mar the image. And then, of course, there were her shoes—white canvas Tretorns with a crisp white stripe, the very symbol of pristine tennis elegance. They were identical to Beth’s, save for the fact that Anne’s looked like they belonged on a magazine cover, untouched, impossibly bright in the sunlight.

The contrast between them couldn’t have been harsher. Anne, essentially glowing. Beth… an absolute mud-splattered, squelching wreck.

“What, did you fall face-first into a swamp or something?” Anne teased, twirling her racket with far too much glee. “You are the clumsiest person I have ever seen, Beth. Unreal.”

Sighing, Beth rubbed the back of her neck, then gestured toward her shoes and skirt, like it wasn’t already obvious. “I took a shortcut through the woods. There was this massive mud puddle, and I thought I could jump over it, but I didn’t… quite… make it.” She cringed, recounting the humiliating story. Despite her initial goal of keeping it brief, Anne was eating this up.

Anne, predictably, wasn’t about to let it go. “Wait, wait,” she said through more chuckles, walking a bit closer just to get a better look at the disaster that was Beth’s outfit. “You mean to tell me that you actually try to jump across a giant mud puddle in those—” she pointed down at Beth’s ruined Tretorns, the mud-soaked canvas now more brown than white, “—with your brand new shoes, no less?”

Beth grimaced. "Yeah, that was definitely an error in judgment." She stared down at the very shoes Anne was examining, those once-flawless white sneakers that now sloshed out muddy water with every step. The vent holes—those same ones meant to add airflow and lightness—now spewed out grime each time she shifted uncomfortably on her feet. She could feel the mud squishing between her toes even still, sending waves of disgust through her.

Anne noticed the mess pouring from Beth’s shoes too, and her laughter started up again. “Oh wow, Beth. That is impressive. I mean, I didn’t even think you could mess them up that bad!” She exclaimed, nearly doubling over. “Look at them!” She pointed, practically howling with laughter. “You’ve actually got mud flowing out of them!”

Beth bit the inside of her cheek. She knew Anne liked to pile it on, but this stung. Badly. She just wanted to get through this conversation and hide somewhere before she remembered how much she loved those shoes. Swallowing her pride, she tried to brush off the ribbing with a weak smile and a shrug, but Anne simply wasn’t done.

"So, let me get this straight—I have to know—all that careful planning, getting dressed up in your cute matching outfit, and you ended up like this... ?" Anne gestured dramatically at Beth with both arms, as though she were unveiling a piece of performance art. "How on earth do you even do this to yourself? Seriously, Beth, you might be one of the clumsiest people I know."

Beth stared down at her shoes, biting down the frustration and embarrassment that threatened to boil over. The visual of Anne in all her immaculate, white canvas-clad glory only made the sting deeper. She looked as perfect as Beth had intended to.

Every time Anne asked about how “such a thing” could happen, Beth felt the weight of her clumsiness even more intensely, the shame of poor judgment ringing in her ears with every mocking question.

Anne stepped back a little and spun around in her perfect condition, clearly enjoying herself. “Seriously, though, Beth, I don’t know what I would’ve done if I were in your shoes. Oh—wait—” she feigned surprise, pointing at her spotless, fresh Tretorns with a devilish grin, “—good thing I’m not!”

That was the final bit of salt in the wound. Beth, usually calm and unbothered, forced a deep breath, staring longingly at Anne’s untarnished sneakers and crisp white outfit, knowing hers had no chance of returning to that state.

"Yeah, well, not everyone gets luck on their side every day," Beth said dryly, biting back the harsher words she wanted to say. "I'm sorry, okay? I—I can’t play like this. I just came to tell you, I’m going to sit this one out."

Anne finally stopped laughing, although the amusement still danced in her eyes. "Aww, Beth, such a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing you in action—well, without the mud bath, anyways." She smirked before turning back toward the courts, clearly done with the conversation, leaving Beth standing there, feeling deflated and horribly self-conscious.

At least she wasn’t required to play. That, she thought, was a small blessing. But even then, as Anne hit her first serve and the ball hit the net, Beth still heard a faint, mocking whisper over her shoulder.

“Honestly, Beth… clumsiest person ever.”

Beth sighed, resigned to her defeat for the day.
As Beth went to leave, Anne said that she needed to see “the scene of the crime” so that she could fully relay the story to her friends.

Describe Beth reluctantly leading Anne back down the trail as Anne went on about how ridiculous Beth looked just can’t understand how something like that could happen.

Describe them arriving at the mud puddle, Anne snapping a few pictures but then somehow by her own clumsiness manages to fall in herself. Not pushed or pulled by Beth.

As Beth went to leave, Anne said that she needed to see “the scene of the crime” so that she could fully relay the story to her friends.

Describe Beth reluctantly leading Anne back down the trail as Anne went on about how ridiculous Beth looked just can’t understand how something like that could happen.

Describe them arriving at the mud puddle, Anne snapping a few pictures but then somehow by her own clumsiness manages to fall in herself. Not pushed or pulled by Beth.
As Beth turned to leave the courts, she heard Anne call after her with that same teasing tone.

"Wait, Beth! Hold on."

Beth paused, biting back the urge to walk faster, as if outrunning Anne might spare her from more humiliation. Turning slowly, she raised an eyebrow, trying to keep whatever remained of her dignity intact.

Anne, still smirking, raised a hand. "Before you go—" she said, her eyes glinting. "You have to show me ‘the scene of the crime.’" She made air quotes with her fingers and lightly bounced on her heels, clearly finding the whole situation endlessly amusing. “Like, I need to see where this disaster took place so I can paint the perfect picture for everyone. You know, in case I get asked about it later.”

Beth cringed inside. The last thing she wanted to do was give Anne more material to work with—pictures, descriptions, Anne regaling their mutual friends with exaggerated tales of her mud-splattered catastrophe during a shortcut gone wrong. But what choice did she have at this point? Beth just wanted to get this over with and slip back to her dorm the way she’d arrived: quietly.

"Fine," she muttered through clenched teeth, subtly avoiding Anne’s gaze. "But it's really nothing special."

Anne’s laughter rang out cheerfully, as if Beth had just said the funniest thing all day—not that this was some grand negotiation.

"Oh, I’m sure it’s not! But come on… I gotta see it!" Anne grinned mischievously as she followed Beth down the narrow, shaded trail, practically trailing behind the mud-encrusted footmarks Beth had left minutes earlier.

---

They walked in silence for a moment, though Anne’s anticipation was palpable, her tennis racket slung casually over her shoulder. A few moments in, Anne couldn’t hold back any longer.

"I still can’t get over how ridiculous you looked back there!" Anne mused, shaking her head with a chuckle. "I mean, what was going through your mind? Like, really, Beth... how does it even happen? I just can't wrap my head around it." Her voice was dripping with faux incredulity.

Beth’s eyes narrowed. "It looked like an easy jump," she replied flatly, half-glaring into the woods ahead, wishing she didn’t have to relive this yet again. "But I misjudged it. That’s really all there is to it, Anne." The embarrassment continued to cling to her like the mud drying on her skirt. She didn’t need reminding, especially not from the one person who wouldn’t let her forget it anytime soon.

"Misjudged?" Anne repeated dramatically, as though the word itself was absurd. “No offense, Beth, but I think ‘misjudged’ is an understatement. I mean, how do you fall backwards into a puddle? Did you just, like, slow-motion keel over?” She burst into giggles again, clutching her racket like it was a lifeline.

Beth clenched her jaw but didn’t respond. She focused instead on leading them through the path, counting down the seconds until this torment was over.

---

Soon enough, they arrived at "the scene"—the very spot where Beth's hopes of arriving at the tennis courts clean and confident had dramatically crumbled.

There it was: the enormous mud puddle, still half-wet from the previous day's rain. It stretched across the trail like some cruel, unavoidable abyss, mocking Beth in its muddy silence. The spot where she'd landed was clearly marked—the gentle indent in the earth where her body had splattered into the mud, still soaked enough to preserve the moment.

Beth came to a slow stop and gestured vaguely toward it. "Well, here it is," she muttered, her voice tinged with resignation. "The ‘scene of the crime’ you were so desperate to see."

Anne, however, had no intention of letting this moment pass so quickly. Shaking her head with delight, she yanked her phone out from her tennis dress pocket and immediately began snapping pictures, angling the camera as if capturing some famous landmark.

"Oh wow, this is even better than I thought! Look at the size of this thing! It's practically a crater!" Anne exclaimed, moving around excitedly, snapping shot after shot. She zoomed in on the muddied edges, her phone chirping with each click. "I mean, how could anyone fall into that?" She snickered between shots, more amused with each passing second. "It looks like you face-planted into a marsh. Oh, this is priceless. I’m definitely sending these to the girls.”

Beth shifted awkwardly on her feet, trying to hide her irritation. "Yeah, well, you’ve seen it. Can we—"

Suddenly, Anne stepped back, trying to line up a wider shot, and her foot caught on a raised root off to the side of the muddy trail. It was practically poetic.

"Whoa—whoa!"

Beth’s head snapped up just in time to see Anne desperately flailing her arms for balance.

Without anyone's help—without Beth even considering the possibility—Anne toppled backward with a loud, chaotic shriek. For a split second, everything seemed to move in slow motion. Anne’s bright white Tretorns raised briefly off the ground as she bent at the waist, trying to stabilize herself on her heels. But it was no use—gravity was having its way.

Her phone went flying from her hand as she spiraled toward the very mud puddle she had been mocking just seconds ago.

With an indelicate and ungraceful "SPLAT!", Anne landed directly in the center of the mud pit, sinking squarely onto her backside, just as Beth had done earlier that morning.

For one glorious moment, there was dead silence.

Beth stared, wide-eyed and slack-jawed, her mind racing to catch up with the absurdity of what just happened. Anne—perfect, pristine Anne—was now knee-deep in the same disgusting mud that had just ruined Beth’s day. Her formerly spotless white tennis dress and once-gleaming Tretorns were now completely coated in dark, wet sludge. Thick mud clung to her legs, oozed over her shoes, and splattered liberally across her chest like an abstract painting of embarrassment.

Anne blinked in shock, her mouth opening in disbelief as her brain finally registered the situation.

A beat passed—just long enough for Beth to realize that something extraordinary had just occurred. Then, unable to stop herself, Beth let out a sputtering laugh. Then another. And finally, she erupted into full-on, uncontrollable giggles.

"Oh God, Anne," Beth managed through her laughter, holding onto her stomach. "I guess we can both be clumsy today!"

Anne, still sitting dumbfounded in the middle of the mud puddle, blinked mud from her eyes and stared up at Beth in utter horror. "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"

Back
Top Bottom