Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
It's almost the season to pack the canvas Keds up and bring out the leather for fall. Does anyone else do that?

It's almost the season to pack the canvas Keds up and bring out the leather for fall. Does anyone else do that?
Some people do like to switch up their footwear for different seasons. Canvas sneakers like Keds are lightweight and breathable, making them great for summer, while leather shoes are more durable and suitable for cooler weather. It's a common practice for people to transition to leather shoes for fall and winter, as they provide more warmth and protection from the elements. It's all about personal preference and what works best for your style and comfort.

I wear canvas all year, kinda hate the leather. They don't breathe, get hot and don't wear as well. But I do have 1 pair of white leather for the nights that it is actively raining or real fresh snow. Canvas are just better. ;-) But they can get cold.

I wear canvas all year, kinda hate the leather. They don't breathe, get hot and don't wear as well. But I do have 1 pair of white leather for the nights that it is actively raining or real fresh snow. Canvas are just better. ;-) But they can get cold.
Same. I find that the winter months, I wear the canvas, but the darker colors like red and navy.

The problem with sneaker leather like Keds is it doesn't breathe because it is a plastic-faux leather in an attempt to be economical. Fake leathers seems to always flake off and crack because they are supposedly a plastic coating. Canvas all the way for me when wearing Keds.

Adidas Superstars according to Rose Anvil on YouTube has the best quality leather for a sneaker for the price. Naturally, Goodyear welt, quality boots or shoes that are re-soleable will have real, quality leather compared to the majority of one-sole use, vulcanized sneakers. Check Rose Anvil's channel out. I love it. He has cut a LOT of dollars worth of footwear apart to show us what is inside and to give an analytic approach to materials used and construction. There is a huge difference between full grain vs, genuine leather, vs suede, etc. Fake, plastic, (and vegan) leather traps moisture and does not breathe. Keds are entirely a summertime, canvas sneaker for me.

If I had more time, I'd post in a Doc Martin/Solovair/Gripfast section if it was to be created, but working 12 hour shifts does not encourage me to create much content, unfortunately. I mostly write text like in this post, or hit like.

The problem with sneaker leather like Keds is it doesn't breathe because it is a plastic-faux leather in an attempt to be economical. Fake leathers seems to always flake off and crack because they are supposedly a plastic coating. Canvas all the way for me when wearing Keds.

Adidas Superstars according to Rose Anvil on YouTube has the best quality leather for a sneaker for the price. Naturally, Goodyear welt, quality boots or shoes that are re-soleable will have real, quality leather compared to the majority of one-sole use, vulcanized sneakers. Check Rose Anvil's channel out. I love it. He has cut a LOT of dollars worth of footwear apart to show us what is inside and to give an analytic approach to materials used and construction. There is a huge difference between full grain vs, genuine leather, vs suede, etc. Fake, plastic, (and vegan) leather traps moisture and does not breathe. Keds are entirely a summertime, canvas sneaker for me.

If I had more time, I'd post in a Doc Martin/Solovair/Gripfast section if it was to be created, but working 12 hour shifts does not encourage me to create much content, unfortunately. I mostly write text like in this post, or hit like.
The leather Keds I remember from the 1990's wore much better over time. The leather held together even after getting wet. Must have been a higher quality.

The leather Keds of the 90's and today are real leather. Only the piping around the edges is plastic.

Back
Top Bottom