mjdavid36

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a new member. I'd like your opinion of the made in China Chucks. I only have one pair of these so far. They rubber seems "harder" than my made in the US ones and the canvas is thinner as well. Water soaks through the uppers quickly and though I haven't "tested "it yet I imagine they will dry out faster too.
Any thoughts?

Mark

I heard differing opinions about the Asian made Chucks. Some people say they're better quality than the USA chucks and others say they're cheaply made. I guess it depends on how you wear them. I have to admit the Asian chucks(made in China, Indonesia, and Vietnam) look like the original Chuck Taylors from the 60s to the 80s. They have the small toe cap and thicker soles. Unfortunately, the American chucks in the late 90s looked horrible. They had thin soles and a massive toe cap which made them look like clown shoes. Chucks will always fall apart because its just canvas and rubber. As much as I love a new pair of Cons, you can't beat a dirty, ripped up, smelly, and worn down pair of chucks especially on a cute girl. 😉 😛 I'm all about the look. If it doesn't look like the original Chucks then I don't want to see them.:

Re: Chinese Chucks, your opinion

-I feel that the old Americans come in first for wear and for quality but those are a rare find.
-I feel the older Chinese ones come in second for wear. These last the longest because the rubber is harder and with a thicker sole, but take longer to break in.
-The new Americans come in third for wear, but are the most comfortable of them all.
-the newest Chinese are the worst of them all. the soles are thinner than the new Americans and the toe cap is huge, but because of this, they are reasonably comfortable, but they are too wide for me.

Both the old and new of the Chinese ones are wider than the Americans. I have to lace them almost all the way to get them tight on my skinny foot. I don't like them.

I also support the American worker, cause I live there. Unfortunately, these people are losing their jobs due to the moving from industrial jobs to service based jobs in the United States. Why pay more for US workers when you can exploit those in other countries?

I have long had mixed feelings about Chinese Chucks and had my say elsewhere on this sight. Actually, in recent times, we have been served up Chucks from China, Vietnam and Indonesia. Unfortunately, living in Australia I have never had any of the original USA Chucks to compare with. But theere are quite different series of Chinese Chucks recently from different factories, as I assume, Nike seeks tenders from different factories and takes the lowest prices. Therefore we see different quality. One factory made what I thought were quite good shoes up until August 2006 (you can tell the date of manufacture by looking at the label under he tongue - there is a three figured number there, the last two are the year and month of manufacture). Since then, Nike (Converse ) has been using at least one and probably two other Chinese factories both of which have turned out lesser quality Chucks in my opinion. Sprinkled in there in between have been some from Vietnam and Indonesia. Next time you are near a lot of Chucks, check the dates and quality of different pairs.

My opinion is that the US chucks were the best. They just had this unique awesome feel to them that you just can't get anymore. I also am ok with the earlier China pairs (before they put fuzz on the soles.) One thing I liked about the US and earlier China pairs is that they had a nice certain "shine" to their toecap, which I feel newer pairs are unfortunely lacking now it seems. 🙁 I'll still buy the newer China chucks, but if I could, I would take a US/earlier Chinese pair, even if they were worn.

My take on Chinese Chucks....I live in Hong Kong now and all I can say is everyday I'm out is a dream, so many cute chicks wear converse here. It really is amazing! :icon_wink

I Hate the new fuzz on the soles. That has totally ruined converse in my opinion. I scour ebay to find older pairs without the fuzz. When they did that they changed the way the sole looked. As for the soles, some of the chinese ones were great. They had an awesome rubbery smell. Some other chucks the soles dont even seem to be rubber, kind of a plastic feel and smell. Theres no question as to how the quality of the fabric is disgraseful now. Most pairs fall apart before they truly become magnificent. Imagine if the canvass was still at the quality of the 80's, with all the emos and punk kids wanting their chucks to be all worn and dirty, they could be wearing pairs hard for years and years, and they wouldnt fall apart, only become unimaginably filthy and old. Imagine how many punky cons would be around, their owners wearing them from 6th grade right through to the end of highschool. By that time theyre covered in writing, the soles are totally smooth, the rubber toecaps and sidewalls are dark brown and filthy from the years of built up stains, and of course the toecaps would inevitably develop that wonderful dirty shiny look. hahaha. There are very very few chucks like what i described around. Almost impossible to find. I wish.

The newer ones seem more comfortable to me. When the production was shifted to Asia, I thought the Chucks were narrower and the soles too hard. Now they seem to break in much easier. I liked the USA Chucks the best, but their inconsistent variations between pairs had gotten out of hand.

bh

I have a couple of "Made in the U.S.A." Hi tops and X-hi tops I only wear out on special occasions.. Still realy soft and comfortable.. I recently got two pr of custom made x-hi's from Converse on line.. One for just wearing around in the States and the other for the Steelers Ravens game.. STEELERS colors of course.. SUPRISE, SUPRISE, both pr realy soft and comfortable.. Both Pr "Made in China" and without the fur shit soles... About 2 months ago I brought a pr of stock black / white hi-tops on E-bay.. Made in China.. Hard and fury as all hell.. Like walking with a lump of 2 x 4 under your feet... Crap... Conclusion.. Unfortunatly .. You just dont know what your going to get... In general over the years I have had a good run of Cons and still love them.. Amazing the ammount of people who stop me in the street and say, "I used to have those kicks when i was a kid.. They still any good"..??.. answere.. SHIT YEAH... :icon_cool:icon_cool
walk softly people..

Back
Top Bottom