chucksfan1

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Australia
Here's an interesting bit of trivia for all you Chucks scientists out there. The other day, I purchased my latest pair of black chucks hi tops. Now, these were made in China in April 2008, and by my estimates, this is the third new plant that Nike has used since early 2006 in China. I also note during that time, about 12 months ago there were some Indonesian Chucks out there but these didn't last long. Each successive plant makes them slightly differently - particularly seen in the rubber on the side, the toe cap etc or even the smell of the shoe and materials. However, I took one shoe from this pair and compared the sole closely with another pair from early 2006 - the soles were identical - and I mean identical. Came from the same mould. You can check this right down to the spacing of minute details such as the little dots or slightly unusual angles on parts of the tread. So, OK this makes sense, why would Nike retool the soles for each new plant when all they have to do is send them on.

However, right now in Australia, the latest arrivals are a rash of Chucks including black from Indonesia again. Now these soles are quite different and have a distinctively different look from anything supplied for years. The whole effect is smoother and there is a deep cut right around the sole just inside the little parallel lines on the edge.

I still like those made in 2005 and 2006 and I'll stick to my 70 odd pairs of those. In my size, I have just about cleaned up all the stragglers from that plant and time - took 2 years though. Now, if I could just have that money for something else???? I know everyone has there likes and dislikes in all manner of things and many people who knew them still swear by the original USA made Chucks.

Re: Converse Science Again

G'day Chucks fan, Do you put the white coat on to do the inspections, mate..??.. If Cons had half a brain they would pay you to head up the quality control dept... The Indo Cons I last got seem to have a bigger not as good looking toe cap... They are also stiffer to walk in... Mate, I still hunt out the old made in the U.S.A's.. I just got a pair of U.S.A. x-hi's brand new in box... Man what a dream to wear... The new ones are shit compared to them.. I also got a new pair of custom x-hi's to wear to the "States" in Sept and although made in China they seem to be a lot softer and nearer to the old U.S.A.'s than the Indo's... Later mate....
Walk softly in U.S.A. Cons people...:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

Re: Converse Science Again

Hey consforever, yeah, I must have the white coat. It'd be because I'm a fucking typical virgo - picky to the last detail - must be from CSI Oz (Chucks Science Investigations!!!). Anyway, I bought yet another pair of black hi tops the other day - made 12/2007 in Vietnam. These weren't too bad. Lets see, that's Indonesia, Vietnam, multiple locations in China. Anyone know where else they are made - i think I read in some of the posts they also make them in Brazil or somewhere in South America. Off the Westfield now consforever (update saw 20 pairs, two thirds female, black hi tops in majority), hope I see some lovely ladies chucks there. was in brissy during the week and there was a great haul - wish I'd had a camera!!!! walk softly mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom