Mule

VIP Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
I went shopping with Mrs. Mule and my niece last night. We stopped in a shoe store and the Gap.

First, Mrs. Mule informs me that the nurses at her hospital like Keds. No, not the champs (though I have seen them in hospitals). The kind they like are sort of a hybrid -- they look like basketball shoes at the outsole, but sort of like champs on top. She tried a pair on, and said they did feel comfortable, but she already has enough sneakers to get her through for the while. At least it's a move in the right direction from the clown shoes of a couple of years ago.

The Gap had its usual assortment of clothing. However among the cargo pants and retro 70's women styles, they had a couple of outfits which could only be described as "preppy." The last time preppy was in, Keds were in.

I'm not holding my breath. I remembered when Keds went out of style in the mid-70's not to return for 20 years.

20 years?? .. no no no .. they were HUGE in the 80's I
remember EVERY girl at my highschool wore keds, from
the nerds to the drill team. Those were wonderful times.

Also the girls on the 'Brady Bunch' wore them. I saw a
girl 16 to 18 at Walmart two days ago, very cute girl,
blonde. She was not a nerd girl, she was wearing a
pair of knock off keds slip-ons with different colored
poka dots and yellow elastic. They had a white label
with red lettering. Tonight I saw a cute red head, in
her early 20's wearing a pair of white keds knock offs
with the 5 eyes not 4 like champs. They looked great
and so did she! I would say we are on the start of a
new trend ... all the other styles of shoes have gone
to smaller .. and flats are back! Chucks are HUGE now
and I remember chucks being popular in the 80's too.

Kedsboy

Delivering my son to work yesterday I counted 14 younger women wearing keds mostly champs along the parkway. If Oprah is going to start pitching Keds for sure we will see a boast in the younger women wearing them. I'm not talking about teens but certainly the 20 and up group.

Yeah look what the books that Oprah recommends sell. If keds somehow could put "recommended by Oprah" on their box or commercials their sales will skyrocket. I was flipping through her magazine today and there was a full page color ad for keds.

There were a large number of tourists here in Monterey this weekend. I saw quite a few canvas Keds clad feet. My wife also commented on the large numbers we spotted. Most were worn by women 20-40 years old.

Better than Oprah

Better than Oprah

I just saw this on the web. Mischa Barton is a pretty young 18 year old girl on a show called OC which evidently is directed at the market we all would like to see get into Keds.

Keds Signs Mischa Barton as Spokesperson

LEXINGTON, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 13, 2004--The Keds Corporation, a subsidiary of the Stride Rite Corp., announced today that the footwear brand has signed Mischa Barton as spokesperson. As part of this agreement, Barton will appear in national print and outdoor advertising campaigns, direct mail, in-store materials and online, as well as make personal appearances on behalf of the Keds brand.

According to Shawn Neville, President of Keds Corporation, "We're thrilled to have Mischa on board. Her classic style and beauty are the perfect fit for the Keds brand."

Eighteen-year-old Mischa Barton currently plays the lead role of Marissa in the FOX hit "The O.C." In 1998 Barton made her feature film debut in "Lawn Dogs" opposite Sam Rockwell. Her hailed performance was followed by roles in such films as M. Night Shyamalan's "The Sixth Sense," "Notting Hill," and festival favorite "Lost and Delirious" among others.

According to Barton, "I'm excited to represent Keds. Keds is a classic, cool brand with style and I look forward to working with their team."

Well it sure sounds like keds finally got their heads out of their asses. The last women they had to do this was Demi Moore during the 80's but it was short lived.

Oprah,Mischa Barton

Oprah,Mischa Barton

😀 I agree, these are two very solidly placed endorsements and hopefully we will be seeing a lot more Keds wearing on gals younging than grandma. 😀

Back
Top Bottom