Favorite Champion Era?

• 1980s and prior (yellow insole)

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Early 1990s ("They Feel Good")

Votes: 38 46.3%
  • Mid-Late 1990s (updated logo)

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Early 2000s (Champion 2K "wedge heel")

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Mid 2000s (Champion 2K3)

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • 2007 ("Keds est. 1916")

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
Re: Favorite Champion Era?

Personally, I think your survey doesn't go back far enough.

Keds were THE women and girls sneaker until about 1974 when the running craze struck America.

Prior to this time, Keds were worn by girls and teens under conditions when they weren't dressed up enough to wear a skirt. This meant playwear for littler girls and "dungarees" for teens. And, of course, cheerleaders.

For those of you who don't know, dungarees are a lot like jeans, except that they didn't have fashion designer names on them and therefore cost a lot less. Bobby Darren (I think) had a song - "Dungaree Doll" - anyone remember this?

Adult women seldom wore Keds. Heck, they kept house in a thing called a house dress. Keds were worn for "gungey work" like gardening, and when on vacation. Otherwise they wouldn't leave the house in them. They got dressed up even to do grocery shopping.

Keds still remained the sneaker of female athletes. Women track stars ran in specially designed "track" shoes, but women tennis players wore champs.

With the running craze (remember "Erg" and "Body Punch"?) sneakers went the way of dungarees. They became fashion statements and status symbols.

The lowly Keds lost its status. They became as fashionable as zoot suits and snuff boxes. Nobody would be caught wearing them.

It wasn't until the early 80's that Keds began to reappear. There was a 10-year period from 1974 to about 1984 when they nearly became extinct.

Personally, I think your survey doesn't go back far enough.

Yeah, I could stretch back farther, but I wasn't born until the 80s so I never lived nor experienced the 70s. I haven't seen an actual pair of Champs from the 50s-60s and earlier.

Only I vividly remember the 90s, growing-up and seeing almost every female I know own a pair of Keds, and in part thanks to the movie 'Dirty Dancing' which gave them a huge boost for a while.

My favorite time was the 1960's. I was 11 - 21 during that decade. The horniest point in a guy's life and EVERY girl wore Keds and NOTHING else (on her feet, that is :icon_lol🙂

Yeah Mule I remember "dungeree doll".. And a few other little, 2 cord strum open, ditties from that erea.. Remember Boddy Daren surfing the wave that was being projected on a screen or wall behind him and the camera never went below his knees and waist... All us peroixde board riders at the time went crazy with laughter knowing in reality what a wave WAS like... I'm still getting over a Sydney paper at the time headlining front page, "Bobby Darren rides killer wave".. For miles you you could hear the surf groups doubling up with laughter while Sandra Dee wet her pants with worry.... God those were the days.. ENOUGH, I'm splitting again from the memories...
Mule, what year were the pebble sole Keds..??.. These should have been included in the survey.. They were the best ever made.... LONG LIVE THE PEBBLE SOLE...:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_cheeWalk softly on water people.. Ha Ha ha.. Thanks for the memories Mule...

I don't recall a pebble-soled Keds. However, I have to confess that I swayed from the true faith and tried Keds knockoffs. Some of them had pebbled soles.

My favorite time was the 1960's. I was 11 - 21 during that decade. The horniest point in a guy's life and EVERY girl wore Keds and NOTHING else (on her feet, that is :icon_lol🙂

My attraction for keds kicked in in the 60's as well. I have some keds from that era which I'll photograph and post. In reality the sneakers from that time period as much as we like to remember differently were pretty crappy in terms of construction.

I guess everyone has a favorite champ era" gererally when their fetish began" But as to the oppinion of the best version. The 80s were good
but as for the keds and knockoffs from as early as the 60s they all had yellow insoles so in the 90s when keds did the "Feel Good" series it was a change that had appeal.By that time I had worn womens champs several years and they did feel good.

Seeker,What year are the pebble sole champs approx.. Please....??.. :icon_quesWalk softly people..

Here's a few pictures of the different era's of my Keds. Of course these pictures don't include the Ahh and Relaxed Fit era

Attachments

• Keds Era.jpg
    Keds Era.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Keds Era1.jpg
    Keds Era1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Keds Era2.jpg
    Keds Era2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Keds Era3.jpg
    Keds Era3.jpg