RonR

Gold Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
images.jpeg

Way back before I had any clue, I often sensed something of interest with girls in sneakers. Even more so if they got wet or muddy.

I was 10 or 11 and was on a youth football team and we practiced a couple nights a week at a local park/field. (Maybe right around 1980.) One of my teammates had an older sister (13 or 14 years old), that often came with mom to the practices or at least the pickup at the end. One evening I overheard the sister asking mom if there was time to go to the store for the new shoes she'd been looking for. I don't remember mom's response. One or two practices later, I saw sister sporting a new pair of Nikes very similar to the ones pictured. She usually wore jeans so the white shoe was pretty noticeable.

Not long after, we had our Saturday game at a different field. It had rained a lot the day before the game and field was pretty muddy. When my teammate showed up, I looked for the sister who was again sporting her new Nikes. She took the long way around on a gravel path and made it to the bleachers that were just right there in the grass and there she remained - safe from the wet, muddy grass. Mom was wearing some boots so she didn't mind slogging around.

At the end of the game, mom called her daughter to hand her something and when she stepped down to the last step on the bleachers she lost her balance and stumbled down into the mucky grass which had been chewed up from all the people walking around. She let out a scream as she landed in the slop. Her shoes were at least half covered in mud. She jumped back onto the bleachers to inspect the damage and was clearly pissed. Mom didn't help when she said something like,"I told you not to wear your new shoes today."

I'm assuming that an attempt at cleaning was made but anytime after that when I saw them, they were permanently stained.

I didn't know why I found that entire experience interesting but I knew there was something about it that I liked.

Back
Top Bottom