RonR

Gold Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
What are your thoughts and opinions on some of these older Keds models?

I’m having a hard time recalling whether these were two separate models or the same. There was a version labeled “Ahh....Keds” with a more cushioned footbed and another was referred to as “Relaxed Fit Keds.” The latter had more room in the canvas which may have helped with cramped feet. I’m surprised that neither took off as I’d expect some people to like the extra comfort.

I liked both but I don’t think they were around for more than a year or two.

They also had push around the same time for washable leather Keds with print and television ads. I don’t believe they currently encourage putting any of their shoes in washing machines. Different construction and materials?

Speaking of, is it me or do the newer Keds lose their shape quicker? (The big toe area becomes noticeable, the canvas separates from the sole in the crease areas, etc.)

Thoughts?

“Ahh....Keds” with a more cushioned footbed

Were the "Ah" Keds those ones with the wedge heels and the pebble sole was a light pastel-like color? All I remember is I didn't like them. All that heel cushion seemed exaggerated like if they were trying to make it feel like high heels which put even more weight towards the extremely narrow toe box.

I don’t believe they currently encourage putting any of their shoes in washing machines. Different construction and materials?
There are versions that are marketed as "washable" Keds on the Keds site: https://www.keds.com/en/us/browse/washable It used to be a selling point where all Keds Champs were washable, but I imagine the cotton had to be pre-shrunk among other things, like a more robust vulcanization process, so less wash-resistant versions snuck their way in as a cost cutting measure. Increasing tariffs also eat into profits.

They for sure lose their shape these days. I have to buy a half size up to account for the shrinking afterwards.

Were the "Ah" Keds those ones with the wedge heels and the pebble sole was a light pastel-like color? All I remember is I didn't like them. All that heel cushion seemed exaggerated like if they were trying to make it feel like high heels which put even more weight towards the extremely narrow toe box.

There are versions that are marketed as "washable" Keds on the Keds site: https://www.keds.com/en/us/browse/washable It used to be a selling point where all Keds Champs were washable, but I imagine the cotton had to be pre-shrunk among other things, like a more robust vulcanization process, so less wash-resistant versions snuck their way in as a cost cutting measure. Increasing tariffs also eat into profits.

They for sure lose their shape these days. I have to buy a half size up to account for the shrinking afterwards.
The "Ah" Keds were before the wedge heels. I'd guess the "Ah" Keds around 1998/1999. I don't recall the profile of the shoe being significantly larger. I believe the wedge-style heel to be around 2001/2002 or thereabouts.

I'm sure you're right about trying to save money. The quality is not the same.

When you mention shrinking, is that from washing or do you experience it from regular wear where they may get a little wet in the rain?

The "Ah" Keds were before the wedge heels. I'd guess the "Ah" Keds around 1998/1999. I don't recall the profile of the shoe being significantly larger. I believe the wedge-style heel to be around 2001/2002 or thereabouts.

I'm sure you're right about trying to save money. The quality is not the same.

When you mention shrinking, is that from washing or do you experience it from regular wear where they may get a little wet in the rain?
For me, it is specifically washing, no matter the temperature water.

The Ahh's had a removable cushy blue insole with a yellow blown rubber heel cushion, a little loop on the top of the back of the heel with a miniature ahh... label underneath it. It also had the blue label on the sole under the arch just like today's champ models, but had the same silhouette as champs.

Ten years after the original post, the video appears to be unavailable.

Back
Top Bottom