Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
I was really happy to find a pair of the new brown Champions in my size and while I like the looks I'm also quite disappointed with the fit and comfort.

I was able to pick them up for 26.95 so the price was considerably better than the offering on the keds.com website.

Re: Keds Champions

Seeker its funny you should bring these up today, I just got my brown pair this morning form zappos! Mine were 29.99 with free next day shipping since I paid with paypal.

I tried them on and I've yet to really wear them but they feel just a little bit snug compared to my black and white newer pairs that I have (which I have to say I feel are quite comfortable- maybe I just don't have any nerves in my feet :icon_lol🙂. Although I did notice that the brown ones don't have quite as much padding in the sole and an unpadded tongue, unlike the black/white that I have. They don't feel to be quite as soft overall, but I love the color!

seeker-
don't the new keds suck! i went looking for a pair of white canvas champs a few months ago and to my surprise the bottoms were different. they didn't have the tan smooth bottoms that i liked. so i finally had to special order a pair from a local shoe store; i finally found a pair of keds originals,the ones i was looking for. i didn't know there were two versions of the same shoe.

The pebble sole we all seem to prefer is now gone. All new Keds Champs have "ESO soles are a lightweight recycled material that is eco-friendly”. If you were lucky enough to find old stock you were in fact lucky.

actually you have to special order the "real" champions which are knows as the keds originals. i did that and had no problem.

i remember keds costing $16 back in 1990 so i guess the price is the same with inflation. they felt alright (they sure didn't smell like my first new pair of keds...sniff...but they haven't smelled like that for 10 years or so).

the thing that bothered me the most when i bought some new pairs of keds was the size of the label. i know it's been mentioned before, but it looks like someone at keds decided to base the label size on the flats (with thinner soles) and then save money by using that label size on all their shoes. the labels are too small and they aren't positioned in the center of the height of the sole.

even when i was in middle school, i appreciated the exquisite proportioning of keds...they just looked right and balanced. the knockoffs never did...either the soles were too thin or too thick or the uppers were misshapen...i remember analyzing this many a time when i was bored and watching the girls in 6th grade gym class. the worst offenders came from payless, you had to be blind to think you were fooling anyone that your coasters were real keds.

in my opinion, the whole flats thing is going to go away at some point relatively soon. maybe it's my own class issues talking, but the flats now look like shoes that you could buy for $5 or less at payless or wal-mart or even eckerd drug when i was in elementary and middle school. if a girl could afford a pair of real keds then that meant something. in my working-class neighborhood, most girls had only one or two pairs and they typically saw a lot of use.

so since the flats will die off sometime, but the champions are still their best-sellers (or i would imagine they are), i am anticipating a return to the larger labels. until then, i too would LOVE to know how to order a pair of the "originals."

(sorry, i'm in a creative field and i get very picky about aesthetics...)

Anyone interested in the men's white canves champions this site www.workinggear.com has them on for a good sale price of 27.00 US.
Purchased a pair from them with no problems. Now enjoy wearing them
daily.:icon_wink

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom