Mule

VIP Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
Not to be confused with distressed Keds.

I don't think it's that tough to figure out why Keds aren't popular.

Keds Skimmers cost $63.95 - Candies has something that looks just like it for $26.99.

Keds Chatam Sandals go for a mere $45.95, the knock offs for $19.95.

Champions go for $35.95 for a couple of dollars more, you can get a real walking shoe from New Balance. If the outfit is casual enough for champs, it's casual enough for something more substantial.

Let's face it, Keds are cheap shoes. They always have been. They do not stand up to wear. At one time their marginally better quality made it worth paying an extra dollar or two to get the real item.

I don't think women are going to pay an extra $20 just to get the blue label.

Re: Keds in Distress

I agree with that..... when you go into walmart and you can find shoes that look almost exactly the same, why bother with keds?

However, I do see girls in their early to mid twenties wearing those new styles that they are coming up with. To keds as a company I think that is a good thing. For champion lovers like so many on here I don't, unless all you care about is the blue label, because they are not likely to switch to the "real" keds.....

my 2 cents/

I have to disagree on most points. Keds popularity at this moment is skyrocketing do to the new styles. What keds is marketing is an upscale casual shoe and the keds website has done a remarkable amount of business.

Mule keds has tried to dump the cheap shoe image for quite awhile and frankly for the most part they have done it. The keds marketing department has done a very good job and aiming the brand at a new market.

You cannot find anything close to the quality of the keds brand at comparable or lower prices. To say you can find a sneaker in Walmart that looks almost the same is not true. Yes you can find knockoffs but not near the quality.

Not to belittle Converse but what makes a pair of chucks worth 59.95 and higher? Champs at 29.95 is a pretty good deal.

Lets face it keds right now are not granny shoes reeboks are. Keds have moved away from the traditional sneaker market in the casual shoe market. Thankfully they have kept the traditional Champion sneaker in the line which is also seeing a new popularity.

/my 2 cents

O.K. Here's the way I see it.. For a start try and find a keds dealer or a shop that sells them in Ozz.. You cant ... Thats why I have to get mine from over seas... The supplyer / dealer / importer has no web site only a non descript address in S.A over here... No on line sales... Try and do a search for a Keds in Ozz retailer...

Now lets get onto Misha... Why isn't she wearing Keds all the time..??.. Because Keds were too brainless not to have it in her contract.. She fronts up does a shoot picks up her bucks and life goes on as normal.. A pro sports person has to wear the product in some shape or form or loses the contract... Pro surfers for example... Catch a pro surfer out of product and they are dead meat...

Keds I believe are not hitting the market right... Over here most brands are shown on T.V. or the mags by shoe store adds .... Which goes back to point one.. Where the hell do you buy your Keds...

Keds arn't aiming at the right people thats if you can call it aim.. They should be laying the cross hairs on the young teen surf girls... Any one with half a brain knows that as far as clothes and shoes go mothers nearly always follow darling daughter... Walk through the mall and see how many mothers and daughters are trying on the same stuff...

Lastly, My thoughts are that the suits at Keds havn't got a clue what their up to... And no idea of overseas marketing... Maybe they should take a page out of Nikes advertising manual... But then the price would go through the roof... But then again Ozz ain't a big market compared to the U.S., but Keds must learn to adapt...
K-serah-serah.... :icon_excl :icon_excl

Walk softly people...

Last edited:

Do you read the Google Alerts forum? There seems to be a push to take a purely American brand wordwide. Here in Canada we could not get keds at all from the early 70's to early 80's. Time will tell how well they do as a world brand.

Great Seeker, I hope Keds kick Nike, NB & Reebok arse all over the planet but I cant see it while they have an x-actress (I still love ya Mish) who dosen't wear product only at store openings and photo shoots.. There is no chance while the brain surgeons at Keds rely on the Granny market and a few clothes designers running them down the catwalk occasionaly... Seeker, YOUR models do more for Keds advertising than Keds do... LIFT YA GAME SUITS, IT'S A BIG WORLD OUT THERE... BOTTOM LINE- IF KEDS ARN'T SELLING THE MARKETING IS UP THE SHIT... :icon_excl :icon_excl

WALK SOFTLY IN KEDS PEOPLE....

I've noticed at The Shoe Company which is a factory outlet that they have a whole new display for Keds and the prices where $19.99 CAD - $29.99 CAD. They even had a display for the wee ones. For the past 5 years I have been going to that place I have never seen any displays for Keds. It's a sign of things changing here. I've also noticed displays at The Bay and Sears. The prices were higher though.

I'll keep holding out as long as it takes 🙂

Cheers to all
MK

Do you read the Google Alerts forum? There seems to be a push to take a purely American brand wordwide. Here in Canada we could not get keds at all from the early 70's to early 80's. Time will tell how well they do as a world brand.

I remember being at Expo (1968?) in Montreal. The Canadian girls were wearing sneakers that were simlar to Keds, but the soles had a set of ridges under the arch of the foot. I figured it was for traction in the snow. 🙂

Seeker, any idea what these sneakers were?

i work at a foot locker shoe store and i see a lot of people and i have to say that i am seeing more and more girls wearing the new styles of keds

Back
Top Bottom