Mule

VIP Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
I didn't want to derail the other Champions-Era thread, so I thought I would post a new thread.

I have to admit that I have fallen from the true faith. There was a time in my life when Keds Champions were not the only sneaker in my life. I did try other brands.

What can I say, I was young. I was foolish. I was a teenager with no money, no nerve to buy "girl sneakers" and no place to hide them if I did. So I had to settle for what my sister had on the closet floor.

Variety is the spice of life, and fortunately for me, my sister had a variety of sneakers to go with her various outfits. She usually had between about 5 or 10 pair going at one time.

Sears sponsored a brand called Jeepers. These usually had crepe rubber soles or pebbled soles.

Kinney shoes had Kapers (there's that "K" sound again) and these had a low-relief crepe rubber sole. A pair of white Kapers was what was on Mrs. Mule's feet the first time she did me.

Thom McCann made "Candies" (I think that's the name of them).

Other shoe vendors also made Keds knock-offs: 9 West (one of Mrs. Mule's favorite show stores) and even Liz Claiborne (a latter-day entry).

Can anyone else come up with other manufacturers or retailers who sold Keds knockoffs under a brand name.

Seeker: When I was up at Expo in the mid-60's I noticed that many of the girls were wearing a sneaker that had ridges in the arch - maybe to act like the tread on a tire when walking in snow? 🙂 - Do you have any idea what these were?

Seeker didn't have his web site up in 1962. I had to make do with the Sears catalog 🙂.

Re: Keds Kncokoffs

I recall those ones with the ridges. They sold them in Zellers under their Truly brand. I also saw some in Buy Way (now defunct) but I can't remember the brand name. Some cheap Chinese made stuff. I enjoyed them same as you. They wouldn't replace Keds but they are nice to see in leiu of no Keds.

Oh yes. The Sears catelogue. The memories. The Kleenex. Ahhhhh.

MK

Mule , you are right. Back in that era knockoffs were abundant and quite a few brands were avalible.A couple that come to mind were
JC penny had then for years and even had a little green lable with
their name on them. I was fond of one style in wich the eyelets and laces wre moved forward making them look smaller. PF flyers were doing well. A lot of cothing retailers had their own names on their
version, Such as CR Anthoney co. There was Skippy and Zips, But
like you I loved Kenny's Kapers. The late 70s and 80s had cheppies
such as Ballons, LA gear,Coasters,But Keds won out from that time.
I predict a simularphase in the next couple years.

Last edited:

I would like to buy these because some of them seemed to have a more pungent aroma than the keds. Perhaps it was the lower quality rubber or something but I remember the tread ones best. They would have little fireworks patterns on them. God they used to be so plentiful...I need to find where I can buy some. I tried some thrift stores but have found nothing.

Back
Top Bottom