Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
For the past 30 years of so Chucks of been the footwear of choice for many rock & rollers. I can't even start to name all the bands I've seen that at least one of the performers was wearing Chucks.

It seems though that a young Canadian girl has turned the tide back to Chucks as a fashion statement. Avril Lavigne has done more to get the young people back into Chucks than anyone I can think of. While her music is ... well a bit lacking she is quite a showman and for that I give her high marks. 😉

I'll admit Avril had a hand in popularizing chucks, but I think it may be that she came out at the right time. I noticed an increase in people wearing before Avril hit the scene. Checks started gaining popularity when new management took over, started pushing more ads, and added a lot more styles. I remember in the 90's when Converse was impossible to find in stores. Once the shoes become readily available, people started buying them up. Now chucks are featured in hiphop, rock and pop videos. Top models, musicians and actors are seen sporting them. This, of courses, influences their fans to buy them.
I saw a bio on one of Avril's many fansites, and it asked 'What's your most prized posession?' And she answered, 'My Converse chucks. I can't go anywhere without them.' Although I'm not a fan of her music, I will admit she played a part in the mainstreaming of Converse and the punk rock style. It may not be good for punk, but more sales can never hurt the Converse company.

Scotty I think you're right about the timing. I think it also has to do with age group. Different things effect sales within the generations.

I agree as well, but I still must admit that she looks really nice in her Chucks 😉

As well does she help the Chucks gaining popularity simply by wearing them on a quite regular basis and not just "by accident" as many other musicians who are seen in them ONCE...

These were taken from an Avril-Site. They are look-alikes (this is waht they pretend to be, at least)...

Thanks for the pics Chris.

This faze is good for Converse money wise, but i do feel sorry for all the punk/goth/emo people out there who have been wearing these shoes and clothes for years, and now have had their image cheapend some what my miss Lavigne.

Thanks again for the pics. 🙂

Chris, thanks for the pics. An indian girl dressed up as Avril , that's interesting.😉 It's funny how the 'Avril' style, looks more like a calculated costume. 😛

Back
Top Bottom