Thanks for the good find, Seek. With the keds on the model runways and on a larger video campaign, there's still hope yet. The vp of marketing for keds even admitted that "younger consumers are harder to reach." I bet that was a hard but obvious statement to for them to make.
It's good to see keds trying another strategy like online videos. But I think we all know it's not going to work if they don't see their star ACTUALLY wearing keds, at least once in a while!

Keds campaign

Keds campaign

I honestly think that I could do a way better job than who ever is in charge of their marketing. And with them saying such an obvious thing as the younger market is hard to reach, NO they won't reach the younger market if they don't make it seem like it's the "IN THING". If Converse can do it, Keds can too. After all Keds has been around just as long, if not longer.

Luv my Keds,
Ashley

Converse has it easy. Chucks have always been part of the rebels, the outsiders, the "cool" people. It's part of the stigma of Chucks. Now that they have Nike's marketing and distribution muscle, their job is set. Heck, I don't even really like Chucks and I have 2 pairs, as does the Wife. And, let me tell you they are very poor shoes. I can't imagine my Dad and Grandfather doing any sports in them. Yet they look cool and are good knock around shoes.

Keds has to knock Converse out of this spot. They have to market better and ditch the Grandma stigma. They have to portray themselves as a better alternative than the $2 shoes at the Dollar store that look excactly like them. They have supposedly improved the comfort, but I wonder how well that's working. This is a tall order - the stigma thing is hard to shake. Look at any stigmatized product - it's rare that they get a large market share or popularity.

Heck, my favorite computer is a prime example. I use and love Macs. They are truly the best most reliable computers out there. Yet they have a stigma attatched to them that they are expensive and nobody uses them. Yet their marketshare is growing and they are no more expensive than a QUALITY (not Dell) PC with all the bells and whistles.

Keds not knock offs

Keds not knock offs

sneakerfreak05 said:
Converse has it easy. Chucks have always been part of the rebels, the outsiders, the "cool" people. It's part of the stigma of Chucks. Now that they have Nike's marketing and distribution muscle, their job is set. Heck, I don't even really like Chucks and I have 2 pairs, as does the Wife. And, let me tell you they are very poor shoes. I can't imagine my Dad and Grandfather doing any sports in them. Yet they look cool and are good knock around shoes.

Keds has to knock Converse out of this spot. They have to market better and ditch the Grandma stigma. They have to portray themselves as a better alternative than the $2 shoes at the Dollar store that look excactly like them. They have supposedly improved the comfort, but I wonder how well that's working. This is a tall order - the stigma thing is hard to shake. Look at any stigmatized product - it's rare that they get a large market share or popularity.

Heck, my favorite computer is a prime example. I use and love Macs. They are truly the best most reliable computers out there. Yet they have a stigma attatched to them that they are expensive and nobody uses them. Yet their marketshare is growing and they are no more expensive than a QUALITY (not Dell) PC with all the bells and whistles.
I don't see why you say that they look like cheap dollar store shoes. Maybe from the distance, but if you look close you can tell the differnce in quality and detail. If you say it like that, then you could put just about any shoe, converse to adidas to nike and they all have something that looks like it at Wal-mart or K-mart.
Sure new styles are something that Keds should do, but if they stop making the classic canvas champion then I stop buying them.

Keds 4-ever,
Ashley

Ashley said:
I don't see why you say that they look like cheap dollar store shoes. Maybe from the distance, but if you look close you can tell the differnce in quality and detail. If you say it like that, then you could put just about any shoe, converse to adidas to nike and they all have something that looks like it at Wal-mart or K-mart.
Sure new styles are something that Keds should do, but if they stop making the classic canvas champion then I stop buying them.

I'm not trying to be argumentitive here, but....

Remove the blue label at the back and what differences are there to the average person? They are both white CVO type sneakers with the same sole pattern, sole height, etc. They both have the same number of eyelets, tounge, etc. Really, from the outside there is no difference.

For us, we notice all the details of sneakers. Me, it's "real" sneakers like Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Asics, etc. I can look at a sneaker on a woman and instantly pick it out, know a lot about it. I can even spot a fake "AIR" shoe a mile away (Nike clone from China). Yet, to my wife who doesn't share this passion, they're all about the same....

The inside and cushioning may be a different story, but most consumers, given the above would buy the $2 K-mart shoes vs the $30 Keds.

It's one of the reasons why Nike, who owns Starter uses their old designs as inspiration for the Wal-Mart Starter line. It wants to reach those people who won't pay $60 for a pair of Nikes but will pay $15 for a pair of Starter shoes at Wal-Mart that look like Nikes.

Other than that, there are real obvious differences between Everlast and Nike and The Body Co. and Reebok. Or even Champion and Puma, New Balance, K-Swiss.

I'd bet if you stood on a street corner in just about any city in America and had a Ked (blue label removed) and a Hanes CVO from Walmart, few would be able to tell the difference or want to pay the Keds premium.

Not sure how Keds will go about shaking the stigma with anything other than new styles. Mischa may wear Keds on the OC, but when it comes time to buy shoes, Mary will look at the $30 Keds and the $2 Wal-Mart shoes that look just like the Keds and buy the $2 pair and spend the rest elsewhere. Then when she finds out how bad the shoes are she'll probably never wear Keds or Wal-Mart shoes again....

New styles that look less generic would be a great way to turn Keds around. Relying on the past is working for Converse because the past for them is cool - think rebel. That appeals to the younger generation (too bad they don't realize that their Dads and Granddads wore the same shoes) today.

The past for Keds is not so good. For people of my generation, Keds are Dirty Dancing shoes - a chick flick from the 80's. And Keds are what your Grandma wore or wears.

Ask a teenager what a Chucks is and you'll probably get an answer of "Converse sneakers".

Ask the same teenager what a Keds is and you'll probably get a blank stare.

That's what they are dealing with - brand recognition. The best way to get that is with new models and LOTS of advertising. You can still sell the Classics (see Converse for a perfect example of how to sell both), but you have to bet the company on new products.

That may be one of the reasons Stride Rite picked up Saucony. They have a loyal following, a hot classic line (Jazz, Shadow, etc), and decent returns on their investment.

sneakerfreak05 said:
I'd bet if you stood on a street corner in just about any city in America and had a Ked (blue label removed) and a Hanes CVO from Walmart, few would be able to tell the difference or want to pay the Keds premium.

Not sure how Keds will go about shaking the stigma with anything other than new styles. Mischa may wear Keds on the OC, but when it comes time to buy shoes, Mary will look at the $30 Keds and the $2 Wal-Mart shoes that look just like the Keds and buy the $2 pair and spend the rest elsewhere. Then when she finds out how bad the shoes are she'll probably never wear Keds or Wal-Mart shoes again....New styles that look less generic would be a great way to turn Keds around. The past for Keds is not so good. For people of my generation, Keds are Dirty Dancing shoes - a chick flick from the 80's. And Keds are what your Grandma wore or wears.

Your "arguement" is valid, but doesnt have to do with Keds only, that is a
market problem that is hurting ALL manufacturers. "knock offs" are taking
their toll on quite a few companies. Changing the LOOK of keds already had
proved to be a disaster, did you miss the "flared heel"?? This simple change
caught more negative attention then Keds wanted. No the classic Keds is
the shoe they should be selling, they ARE "Keds". To copy what other
companies are making is just stupid, WHY would someone want to buy a
"nike" shoe with the "Keds" name on it? The 80's might seem like a LONG
time ago to you, but there are those of us that feel it was yesterday. The
trends are turning right now, I see teen girls wearing FLATS, something I have
not seen since high school. Just two years ago these same girls were in
HUGE orthopedic looking Frankenstein shoes. No, Keds is finally on the RIGHT
track, with a young spokesperson, and a hit show to launch from. What is
going to CHANGE the "view" of them being "grandma" shoes is for more girls
to be wearing them at school. The way this happens is seeing them on TV
and in movies and the magazines that girls read. Why do you think Chucks
came back in style? Personally I think they are one of the ugliest shoes on
the market, I perfer some Sketchers over them for my wife, BUT, they have
been in the media again, being seen in movies like "I, Robot" even.

sneakerfreak05 said:
Ask the same teenager what a Keds is and you'll probably get a blank stare.

As the marketing campaign continues, that number will change. Sketchers
pretty much "owned" the late 90's and early 00's, but they have lost their
hold, as styles have switched to SMALLER shoes. I am in absolute heaven
seeing all these girls in little flats. Like I mentioned, last time they were
popular was the 80's, and that was Keds last reign of popularity.

Apparently the marketing is working, today at the local burger joint, I saw a
very cute girl about 16 or so wearing dark blue slipon keds. Her girlfriend
with her was wearing Vans slipons. I also saw other girls in Vans, and lots
of plain cute flats. Judging the trend, keds should have quite a following in
the next 2 years. Gone are the huge ugly Frankenwear shoes.

THANK GOD!

New Mischa Campaign

Still, keds need to be more visible to the public. It was nice to see them being worn by the Mary Ann characters on the Real Gilligan's Island and by Nicole Kidman in Bewitched. I even thought I caught them being worn by Jennifer Garner on Alias. That was at least a start. However, to see them worn by Terri Hatcher or Eva Longoria on Desperate Housewives, Pam Anderson on Stacked, or worn by younger actresses on WB shows would be helpful from a marketing perspective. I have not seen them on the OC, except for that one girl last season who was only on for a few episodes. In the 80's and early 90's, by contrast, keds were seen quite frequently on hit TV shows like Baywatch and Saved by the Bell. Keds also needs to have them visible in a major movie (like Dirty Dancing in the 80's).

Mischa

Mischa

What drives me nuts is they sign Mischa to a contract, but don't have it in the contract that she has to wear them on the show??? why bother signing her. Yhe MOST exposure you could ever get is seeing the star wearing them every week on t.v.... Since Courtney Smith wears sneakers every week in According To Jim....... then give her a contract too and put her in Keds.........the more the better that's what exposure is all about!!!!

Back
Top Bottom