lbb01

Bronze Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any mention of sightings for '09. Granted, I haven't been to any big cities this summer except Philly, but I only saw two younger women wearing Keds-type shoes. One worked in a cafe, and was wearing maroonish knockoffs with low socks, and the other was either in high school or college and wearing snowy white Keds without socks. I wish that I could have stayed longer to watch her, as there was some play involved, but couldn't find a good spot to watch her. Other than that, I see some Keds or knockoffs when I'm out swing dancing, but usually only on people from metro areas like DC. Nothing special. Anyone else?

Re: Sightings?

been meaning to post this sighting...went bowling the other week with my kid and a very cute young woman...maybe 18...was wearing brand new navy Keds champs with leggings a long shirt that was basically a dress...I saw her and her boyfriend when they came in right behind us...they gave them the lane next to us...kept looking at them under the seat (since she put on the bowling shoes). They might have been German...anyway Keds are certinally making a come back...just not quickly enough!

The navy champs seem to be "in". I've seen several pairs on teen's/twenty somethings in DC and on my current trip to the beach in South Carolina.I've seen several pairs of new leather champs with the new tag on side too- mainly on 30's-40's ladies. The leather champs although new seem to still have the full pebble sole.

actually tedked no they don't. they're somewhat close to the pebble sole but not the same. since keds redesigned the soles (which by the way suck) the only pair that has anythhing close to them is the leather champs but the soles are more smoother. keds don't even make or sell the champions originals which have the pebble sole. i was looking for a pair a few weeks ago and had to settle for the white leather ones.

Hmmm, tedked, I live in S.C. and haven't seen ANY!

The first day of school in the local districts was today, so lots of kids were going to and from the school nearby. Saw PLENTY of Converse (ugliest shoes ever, in my opinion. blech), but no Keds at all.

EDIT: Grammar. Meh.

Saw a girl last night at Kmart, she works there. She was wearing a white polo and skinny black caprish jeans and a pair of pattered slipons without socks. They were from a year or two ago, black with stars and lime green pat leather trim. I've noticed her wearing them before, a few months ago, so I'd guess she still likes them. Was going to comment on them but really didn't get a chance. Too bad, I would have loved to see if she noticed my olive champs!

I hate posting without pics. But, I hope everyone will at least keep the "sightings" updates going... Friday night a young server at a new pub outside of DC was wearing a pair of Keds classic black champs. They were the new style with black laces, white trim and ankle tag. Very hot pair - especially on those cute little feet with black socks in 100 degree heat. Needless to say, I was disappointed she was not my server but obviously, I will return and hope to snap some up close shots to post soon...

Just as an update, I have seen more keds and keds-type when out swing dancing than in previous years. From about April onwards.
I want to repeat that it's great and all to see the experienced dancers wearing them sockless; they especially like the blues one; but they usually only wear them for dancing, and are not the most approachable people for multiple dances unless you're in their group.
On the other hand, the HS and college girls that are just trying out dancing, they are the ones who usually are sockless and actually wear the shoes, so you will see them wear their beat-up keds and knock-offs and can dance with them more.
When I was down south this summer, I definitely saw more keds, knockoffs and even those vans knockoffs without the thick sole. One girl was adjusting hers right as I asked her to dance. I saw her hand make contact with her heel as she slid the shoe back on (no socks) and then we danced. Definitely a turn-on knowing that she did that right before, and that I saw it!

Back
Top Bottom