Zoreo

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
US
It seems these days "Converse" has become synonymous for "high top canvas sneaker" as if there were no others. And I guess that's probably true today- but I'm old enough to remember when there were many brands of canvas sneakers, many of which I think were better than Converse.

Keds, believe it or not, use to make a fine high-top sneaker for boys. It had a thicker insole and heavier more durable materials than Converse. Red-Ball and Jets were others brands I remember as a kid. But my favorite was PF-Flyers. PFs were unique because they had a weird rubber-like insole that felt really neat when you wore them without socks. And it didn't get dirty like canvas insoles do.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with sleek canvas sneaks but I like them so much better than the big clunky Rebox/Nike/Adidas-style sneakers of today. These seem so big and gaudy they remind me of clown shoes. It's funny- girls use to avoid shoes that made their feet look big- but these clunky shoes look plumb stupid on dainty feminine ankles. And the insoles of these 'modern' sneakers are usually soft cloth or felt or terry which is so fragile that they quickly disintegrate if you wear them sockless.

Speaking of sockless, I always had a thing for sockless sneakers and those who wore them. It use to be when you saw no socks, you knew there weren't any- but now a days with the popularity of short no-show socks, you can never assume that anymore.

Sorry about my nostalgic rant here- I guess you younger guys wouldn't understand my frustration but sneakers have always been a special fetish with me but they have changed so much from when I was growing up in the 1950s & 60s and as far I'm concern all the changes have been for the worse. I can't even buy what I consider a really good canvas sneaker today. :icon_cry:

I grew up in the 60's / 70's and remember Red Ball Jets, PF Flyers, and of course keds. I don't think I ever owned a pair of converse or at least that I can recall.

I agree with most of what you have to say except you can get good canvas sneakers today and much better quality than the 60's, 70's, 80's. Examples are the new Pro-Keds, regular women's Keds, Sperry Topsider (getting rare) and Vans do still have some of the original styles.

They still make Pro-Keds for guys? Last I heard Keds didn't make any male sneakers now.

I went to several shoe stores last summer looking for a good sturdy man's canvas oxford like the old Keds "Surfers" that were popular when I was in college- couldn't find anything like them.

I bought a great pair of Royal's and yes keds has a heritage line. www.keds.com

I bought the low cut version of these. Aimee has a pair as well.

Attachments

• 98865-d.jpg
    98865-d.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 0
Men's Keds

Men's Keds

Thanks Seeker. This is interesting. I had no idea Keds were still making these shoes. And apparently none of the shoe stores around here do either because they sure don't carry them. In fact, even women's Keds are not common here. Keds had better improve their distribution if they are to remain competitive with newer brands. In the mean time I will order some of these, even if the price is considerably higher than the last Keds I bought. :icon_mrgr

Zoreo said:
Keds, believe it or not, use to make a fine high-top sneaker for boys. It had a thicker insole and heavier more durable materials than Converse. Red-Ball and Jets were others brands I remember as a kid. But my favorite was PF-Flyers. PFs were unique because they had a weird rubber-like insole that felt really neat when you wore them without socks. And it didn't get dirty like canvas insoles do.

You can get some of those - check out www.classicsportshoes.com or www.zappos.com . I know they sell Pro-Keds, PF Flyers, and a couple other old-school brands.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with sleek canvas sneaks but I like them so much better than the big clunky Rebox/Nike/Adidas-style sneakers of today. These seem so big and gaudy they remind me of clown shoes.

Reebok Classics, Nike Ace, Nike Cortez, Adidas Superstars, etc. all look HOT and not big and clunky at all. Heck, even Shox look hot on the right woman and those are a little big and clunky. Nothing gets me going better than the site of a woman in "classic" sneakers (not including Keds or Chucks) from the 80's!

clunky shoes look plumb stupid on dainty feminine ankles. And the insoles of these 'modern' sneakers are usually soft cloth or felt or terry which is so fragile that they quickly disintegrate if you wear them sockless.

I often wear my Reebok classics sockless and have no issues. And the Terry insoles of the ClubC and Princess feel and work AWESOME with no socks. Feel like you are wearing them and pampering your feet in the utmost comfort.

Speaking of sockless, I always had a thing for sockless sneakers and those who wore them. It use to be when you saw no socks, you knew there weren't any- but now a days with the popularity of short no-show socks, you can never assume that anymore.

Sorry about my nostalgic rant here- I guess you younger guys wouldn't understand my frustration but sneakers have always been a special fetish with me but they have changed so much from when I was growing up in the 1950s & 60s and as far I'm concern all the changes have been for the worse. I can't even buy what I consider a really good canvas sneaker today. :icon_cry:

I can feel with you. Mine leans toward the Reebok and Nike styles, but they have changed for the worse. Growing up in the 80's, it was Reebok Freestyle with the terry soles and 2 straps. Then the Reebok classic with the soft insoles that was some sort of felt or nylon and Nike runners with the same Now they have changed more of the rough nylon like used in the outside and it just sucks, both for sex and wearing sockless. Reebok even f-ed up the classic nylon in colors other than black and white. You have to buy the suede version to get any decent insides.

I guess it's all perspective - growing up in the 80's, I'm not a fan of Keds or Converse at all, but I know many of you guys are. However, I think many of those in my age group feel the same way, so I'm not sure if it's going to change for you guys. However, I'm in the same boat with feeling changes are not for the better.

Well it has been interesting to learn that these classic sneakers are still available- although apparently only by order. I would much prefer to see them in a store and be able to try them on, but this seems to be impossible these days.

Sneakerfreak05, I agree that our sneaker preferences- should I say fetishes- are based on what we grew-up with. Sneakers didn't change much when I was a kid- they were a basic staple- the same year after year. But now they have become fashion items with new designs every year if not more often. But I think in their quest for constant change designers have often replaced good functional design with glitz and gaudiness.

Re: Sneaker nostalgia

I have always loved the retro NBs, to wear without socks, also the real vintage NBs, had a neat silky insole that was awsome feeling without socks. Converse feel good, but the canvas insoles dont hold up all that well. the NBs, tho are softer on the feet

Re: Sneaker nostalgia

I'm with you Zero... I'm an old guy and I remember the good old days... I don't think we had B.B.'s and p.f's here in Ozz but plenty of Slazenger Keds and Cons... Sockless over here ment ya parents didn't have the cash and the pair ya had were usually for Sunday church or Sunday school.. School chicks in Cons and Keds were the coolest girls... Hey, there were plenty of Keds mens, N.B (same as Cons) and Cons basket ball shoes and boots on E bay ... I picked up two pr of N.B.'s for the collection last year.. I think the new stuff is grossly overated not to mention overpriced and no where near as comfortable or durable as a pr of Cons ... I wore a pr of Nikes to see a couple bands once where you had to stand... Not uncommen... An hour later they were off never to be worn again... Stuffed my ankles... Give me my trusty Cons or lately Champs for walking, standing and general wear any day... :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

Walk softly people, Old guy's dreaming again...

Back
Top Bottom