Scotty

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
In Sofia's upcoming movie Marie Antoinette starring Kirsten Dunst, there is an infamous shot of a pair of pink hitop Converse in an otherwise period film. Here is an excerpt from an interview explaining the scene.

JML/ The typography you use in the credits (title and all) reminds us a bit of the one we could see at the time of Punk or New-Wave.

SC/ That is a way for me to say, from the start of the film, that is my own interpretation of a period film. At some point in the film one can even see briefly a pair of Converse shoes next to a series of period shoes. That kind of shot allows us to say that we're not going to follow 100% the rules of the genre, to «cut» with the sometimes burdensome aspect some period films may have. Similarly I didn't try to imitate the XVIIIth century picturality at all. On the contrary, I did a collage book for the different teams that were in charge of the costumes, with contemporary photographs almost strictly. There were a lot of photographs from Helmut Newton for instance.
To go back to the topic of typography, it also evokes the one used by all the bands that were influencing me while I was writing, bands like Bow Wow Wow which curiously had a neoromantic quality and are also pretty much into XVIIIth century France. As for «Ceremony», the last song written by Ian Curtis from Joy Division, that became the first single of New Order, it seemed perfect to me for the party scene. The song is very hard and dazzling at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom