tedked61

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Florida USA
I've been watching for Keds for nearly 40 years. Obviously, Spring is a good time to see the new fashions and the "whats hot" for the year. I sure hope my early observations are wrong. But, unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a difficult year of Keds watching in the Washington, DC area. My trips to the National Zoo, Ball games, malls etc. so far this Spring have proved to be a complete wash out when it comes to ladies in Keds(even with the cooler than usual weather). Thank goodness the Chucks craze seems to remain strong. For me, Cons are a weaker, but still appealing alternative on the ladies.

There are so many choices for the ladies in the casual sneaker market that Keds is just 1 of dozens and dozens of choices. I have not noticed the Keds brand in the sale ads for Kohls, JCP or Sears. The younger ladies seem to go right for the flip-flops and sandals as soon as the weather turns. The "mid ground" between sandal and athletic style sneakers is full of choices and maybe Keds are just lost in the mix.

I can only hope that the "vintage" appeal and the push by Keds on college campus' and other unique marketing efforts will help. There have been some posts on youtube featuring Keds in OTD posts but not too many. I hope the ladies that have been loyal to Keds continue to buy and wear them and others catch on soon.

It would be interesting to hear about Keds sightings in other areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Spring 2011

although i fell in love with keds only a few weeks ago because they are not yet popular over here in europe. I´m wearing the womens champion in white (leather and canvas) and the white slip on, got them from the internet at shoebuy. There are only a few stores selling Keds to high prizes over here. BUT i see some nice girls wearing them from time to time and it always makes me happy 🙂 . Think they are geting popular in europe soon and it will turn out to become difficult wearing the girls champs as a guy in future 🙂

Out here in California, Keds are losing out to Toms. It's an appealing proposition, buy one pair and on your behalf a pair gets sent out to parts of the world where people don't have shoes. Artsy trendy girls (that would otherwise get Keds) can't resist this pseudo fashion charity.

Simple solution: fetishize Toms. It's sorta working. Not that crazy about the sole yet, though. I'll have to buy my girlfriend a pair and see what I can do with them.

At least ballet flats and leggings are still pretty common...

--website2

Well I must just be lucky, but the keds craze is huge out here in the midwest. All the girls are wearing gladiator sandles or Keds and keds knockoffs. Also, good luck fetishizing toms, I find them hideous...

Yeah. Saw a lot more of them today. They're really dumpy.

Those Toms are the worst. Did see a teenager-very attractive- wearing a nice pair of white champs this weekend. Went to a ML baseball game on Sunday and only saw 1 pair of red keds on a young girl. Still looking and hoping 🙂

Toms don't do it for me either, just an espadrille with a label IMO, hopefully once everyone gets over the 'sticking-plaster charity' angle they'll disappear again - as my other half commented after seeing that they were £60 a pair "I'd rather buy a £10 pair of plimsolls and donate the other £50 to something really worthwhile".

fortunately they don't seem to be as popular in the UK yet.

Back
Top Bottom