Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
Write a hilarious short story about a woman who embarks on an epic quest to find the perfect pair of Keds sneakers for her yoga class. Her mission, filled with unexpected plot twists, involves battling indecision, navigating the overwhelming array of shoe colors, and surviving an overzealous salesperson who is convinced she needs orthotics. Bonus points if she internally questions every life choice that led her to this moment.

Quest for the Perfect Keds: A Modern Epic

Lydia stood frozen in the overly bright, aggressively clean shoe section of her local department store, her eyes scanning the dizzying rows of footwear. Somewhere in this labyrinth of pastel shades and ergonomic nightmares lay her Holy Grail—a pair of white Keds sneakers, ideal for her casual "but serious, like, totally Zen" yoga persona—or rather, the one she so desperately wanted to cultivate.

Step One: The Sprouting Seed of Doubt

When her yoga instructor, Starbeam (born Megan Johnston), had suggested that Lydia upgrade her shoes, Lydia assumed it would be a straightforward task. How hard could it be to buy, of all things, Keds? They weren’t exactly rare relics guarded by hobbit-sized shoemakers.

And yet, here she was. Drowning in an endless sea of choices.

There were Keds in candy-colored hues that gave Lydia flashbacks to that one Lisa Frank trapper keeper she had in third grade, Keds with glitter that implied sarcasm rather than style, and Keds with floral patterns that seemed specifically tailored to suburban mothers who secretly used Pinterest as a means to feel alive.

Lydia gulped. What was she even doing here?

Step Two: Trial by Variations

"Looking for anything in particular?" a syrupy voice rang from behind. Lydia jumped so hard she nearly roundhouse-kicked a display stand.

A petite yet overly enthusiastic woman wearing a name tag that screamed “Help is Here!” loomed under a cascade of improbably shiny hair. “I’m Gwen. Shoe Enthusiast. May I help you find your sole journey today?”

"Sole journey?” Lydia thought wildly. What had she signed up for? A spiritual sojourn with Dr. Scholl's?

Gwen continued, as if sensing Lydia’s internal crisis. "I have just the perfect thing."

With surprising agility, she sprinted halfway across the store and came back balancing four boxes of what looked like orthopedic sneakers that would make Lydia look (and feel) ninety years old.

"I think today’s modern woman does her best with a little arch support," Gwen announced with the unwavering conviction of someone who had truly reached transcendence—through foot health.

Lydia’s eyes drifted back to the display of plain white Keds, a pristine beacon in the chaos.

Could she just... get those? But, wait—could she? Were they too basic? Did white shoes scream “I gave up” or “I’m owning this”? Hadn’t Starbeam suggested her appearance, even while inverted in a downward dog, should reflect her “inner alignment”?

"I'm looking for... simple white Keds," Lydia muttered hesitantly, while a now-determined Gwen placed a shoe with THICK soles into her hands.

“These are dual density foam! Your knees will literally weep with gratitude. Look at those arches! You can practically hear them sing.”

Step Three: Mental Breakdown in Aisle Five

Lydia suddenly felt the weight of centuries of indecision settle over her shoulders like a lead-filled yoga blanket. When did I become this person? she thought, clutching the orthopedic shoe in her hand.

Sure, there were bigger questions in life—like why she switched to oat milk when she didn't even dislike cow’s milk, or why every article on wellness blogs assumed that you could achieve some sort of spiritual bliss by buying something new and beige—but this? This shoe decision had become symbolic. This was The Moment.

Was she a woman who succumbed to comfort, sliding gracefully into her mid-thirties with shoes stabilized by orthopedic marvels and promises of zero blisters?

Or was she someone bold enough—in her confidence, in her daring choice—to wear plain, no-frills white Keds? The ugliest, most unadulterated symbol of fashion mediocrity in the universe?

The shoe aisle suddenly smothered her. The fluorescents above buzzed louder. Every sneaker now seemed exaggerated and garish, like the judgmental faces of a thousand possibilities, mocking her ability to make any decision.

Step Four: The Final Boss (aka Gwen)

Just as Lydia felt her resolve crumble—Maybe I should just buy Crocs—Gwen reappeared, armed with motivational zeal and what Lydia could swear was a pamphlet on insoles.

"No pressure, but if you don't choose the supportive ones, you could be looking at some serious plantar fasciitis down the line," Gwen said, her tone unusually hushed and ominous.

Lydia stared into Gwen’s eyes. Was this a threat? Was she being subtly blackmailed into a forty-dollar arch support? This was getting weird.

And then—clarity.

Step Five: Victory by Way of Defiance

She calmly set down the orthopedic monstrosity. “I’ll just take the basic white Keds, thanks,” she said.

Gwen blinked, momentarily thrown off her Shoe Enthusiast game as Lydia snatched the box off the shelf with newfound confidence.

Was Lydia sacrificing prime arch support and risking premature foot degeneration? Maybe. But you know what? She was here for yoga, not some podiatric intervention.

Holding her Keds high like a warrior’s prize, she marched to the counter, purchasing nothing else—no herbal-based shoe deodorizers, no eco-friendly shoe bags, and no orthotics.

Step Six: Enlightenment

Lydia left the store, her prize in hand. She may never be able to fold herself fully into Crane Pose, but at least she had reclaimed her identity in a sea of aggressive foot-related marketing.

And as she made her way to yoga class, a spring in her step, she pondered the great questions of life.

Okay, so she might regret not buying arch support when she was sixty.

But for now? These were her plain, boring, defiant Keds. And she was good with that.

Namaste, indeed.

Back
Top Bottom