bouncy

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
PNW
I've noticed in the last couple months or so that canvas Champs are becoming a rarity in many stores in my neck of the woods. They still have a lot of white leather Champs with the new label yet retaining the old crepe outsole design, but it was up till this point many places stock tons of canvas Champs, and used to carry other colors besides white. Now it's little to zip. Earlier in the year, they had the new outsole design with the odd fuzzy material which I dispise a lot and prompt me to buy two more of the remaining stock of the old white Champs in those white and blue boxes. I also bought a couple more of the white leather Champs with the old label.

Anyone noticing the same in your area? I'm guessing Keds has responded to all the negative criticism to the design changes made and new changes (hopefully revert back to the old crepe outsole) are coming soon.

Re: Supply of Champs running dry? Changes coming?

I've noticed in the last couple months or so that canvas Champs are becoming a rarity in many stores in my neck of the woods. They still have a lot of white leather Champs with the new label yet retaining the old crepe outsole design, but it was up till this point many places stock tons of canvas Champs, and used to carry other colors besides white. Now it's little to zip. Earlier in the year, they had the new outsole design with the odd fuzzy material which I dispise a lot and prompt me to buy two more of the remaining stock of the old white Champs in those white and blue boxes. I also bought a couple more of the white leather Champs with the old label.

Anyone noticing the same in your area? I'm guessing Keds has responded to all the negative criticism to the design changes made and new changes (hopefully revert back to the old crepe outsole) are coming soon.

I've found that a few of the stores I used to see Keds in have no champs in stock. They just have the ballet style ones now - which aren't too bad... but I do miss the flagship champs.

They are still plentiful here in the upper midwest, and even this late into the summer. That may be the reason you are seeing less...season is winding down and they may be moving on to the fall color set.

I did notice that (as posted earlier) that the 2007 model year transitioned to the legacy (aka "Since 1916") logo and the blue tab on the heel is slightly smaller. For Spring 2008, I am sure that will continue.

What I am interested in is the change in marketing strategy now that (imminently) the purchase of Stride Rite by Payless Shoe Source will close. Will we see the traditional "white" line go to Payless, and the higher margin, more stylish Skimmers, Eleanor Grolsch, Raves, etc. go to the Nordstrom's and Macy's? Who knows.

In Canada getting Champs / Keds has always been hit and miss. Most of the places that did carry them still do.

I think you'll probably find that most of the Stride-Rite brands (with luck keds) will start appearing in Payless stores.

I highly doubt Payless would sell Keds or other Stride-Rite-branded shoes in their stores. My guess would be a move similar to what Nike has done with Converse, which is profit from it, but leave the brand and marketing completely separate from the parent company. Keds would continued to be sold in the usual department stores as the more trendy, "upscale" brand.

It would be nothing more than speculation but keds would most likely do as before and make a version of champs like before. When the champs were peaking they came out with the keds&co.line of cheaper but good sneakers. Let's Hope!!!!:icon_cool

Back
Top Bottom