thomas4vw

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Hong Kong
Do any of you wash your keds? Do you wash them by hand? machine wash?

Do you put softener in the machine to make them extra soft and comfy?

Re: Washing!

I have washed my Keds in the machine wash after I did something bad in them:icon_mrgr but putting them in the dryer is loud because you have to put somebody over it because it make too much noice if you don't. I haven't put softener in mines but I'll have to try it with some one day...

Last edited:

Do any of you wash your keds? Do you wash them by hand? machine wash?

Do you put softener in the machine to make them extra soft and comfy?

Some suggestions that I have found over the years:
- Don't use alot of detergent. If the Keds are heavily stained, you're really not going to get it all out unless you use alot of bleach and wash under hot cycle.
- Wash with white towels so that the wash machine isn't banging the Keds around in the spin cycle.
- When it comes time to add fabric softener, pour a small amount into the toe of each sneaker.
- Air dry. I put my lovely wife's Keds out on the deck and let them sun dry. Be patient, wait until they are dry on the inside too.

I find that at least with the older style Keds, a chromatography effect takes place. That is that the water apparently dissolves the glue, and capillary action causes a yellowish stain to move from the foxing up into the canvas.:icon_frow

Maybe washing in cold water is the answer.

I do agree with air drying. In fact, stuff the Keds with newspaper so they maintain shape while drying. It takes a little longer but it avoids having the shoes look like they have been run over with a steam roller.

Some suggestions that I have found over the years:
- Don't use alot of detergent. If the Keds are heavily stained, you're really not going to get it all out unless you use alot of bleach and wash under hot cycle.
- Wash with white towels so that the wash machine isn't banging the Keds around in the spin cycle.
- When it comes time to add fabric softener, pour a small amount into the toe of each sneaker.
- Air dry. I put my lovely wife's Keds out on the deck and let them sun dry. Be patient, wait until they are dry on the inside too.

Oh..... I put in a lot of softener.... Just so that I get them really soft......

Oh..... I put in a lot of softener.... Just so that I get them really soft......

However, there's nothing like a pair that has been worn naturally, softening the canvas over time. A pair that is wearing really nicely are my wife's Keds Andie and Kate models. The Microstretch and jersey linings are so soft!

Back
Top Bottom