tgkedsgirl

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Tucson, Arizona
Am I the only one who is seriously disappointed that we haven't really seen Mischa wearing her keds except for her department store appearances? I was really expecting her to wear them on "The OC" t.v show or when she is out and about. Even in her "Cool" video shoots, she talks about how cool it is to wear keds for this or that, but you don't see any pics of her wearing keds!

Just take a look at the www.mischa-b.com website, a neat site that has tons of all types of Mischa photos, including her candids. Not too many keds pics except for the big media events that she's raking in millions from. I guess that why young girls haven't entirely caught on yet. They know when someone's just in it for the money and doesn't truly use the product they endorse.

Such a shame, I've seen keds really make a turnaround in their appeal to teens and young women. I hope they can continue to forge ahead without their top star really wearing them like a "champ."

tgkedsgirl

Have you been watching the new season? I haven't.

I have to agree it is a disappointment I'm not sure she's making millions from her endorsement:icon_ques but she was hired as an icon for the shoes and there
should be some regular exposure. I also think that Keds needs to fine a teenager spokes person to market to the 9 to 16 age groups. If you look at the Disney Channel there are plenty of young talented up and comers they could be using.

I agree

I agree

I agree, what a disappointment!! For one thing I think she has no idea about style. The clothes that she wears with her Keds do not look all that great to me. 2ndly, you are right, she never seems to wear her Keds any other time, except when she is getting paid. Seems like her sister wears them more than her, and even looks better. 3rd it seems like Keds is trying to commit self-sabotage, because they are not reaching the younger market like they could. It is almost like they're trying to go bankrupt. They should be running television ads on MTV, VH1, and other younger T.V. channels. They should of really tried to advertise the pink Keds, while pink was soooooo popular, and make a bigger deal out of the Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I also wish that, like converse, Keds would have a feature on the site to design your own Keds.

Ashley said:
I agree, what a disappointment!! For one thing I think she has no idea about style. The clothes that she wears with her Keds do not look all that great to me. 2ndly, you are right, she never seems to wear her Keds any other time, except when she is getting paid. Seems like her sister wears them more than her, and even looks better. 3rd it seems like Keds is trying to commit self-sabotage, because they are not reaching the younger market like they could. It is almost like they're trying to go bankrupt. They should be running television ads on MTV, VH1, and other younger T.V. channels. They should of really tried to advertise the pink Keds, while pink was soooooo popular, and make a bigger deal out of the Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I also wish that, like converse, Keds would have a feature on the site to design your own Keds.

Does anyone agree or is this thread dead?

We can keep it alive ;-)

I think Keds was on the right track for a change by trying to market to a younger group. They were also quite successful, the micro site that they are running has 2% to 3 % conversation to sales which is good.

Is Mischa the right person for the job ... good question. I'm not real fond of her style, but she does have a broad appeal to a large market. Keds could do really well by adding another young star to the promotion.

The other thing to consider is that Stride Rite purchased Saucony a high end athletic sneaker line, they also resurrected Pro-Keds, those brands will help them place Keds in a wider selections of store.

The new lines for spring will be here in a couple months so all we can do is wait for next season and hope that the marketing people at Stride Rite continue to build a new wider market share.

Well, I have seen several young women wearing keds over the last several months. That's not a lot, but more than before. I think it's going to take time to erase the 'grandma' shoes stigma that keds has right now. I have noticed that delias, a store geared towards teens and young women, are selling the keds triumph sneakers and keds style slip on shoes.

http://www.delias.com/browse.do?categoryID=447&page=3&size=

I agree that Mischa barton is not a great spokeperson. She rarely wears keds or sneaker in general in her private or public life. Converse has celebrities like Avril Lavigne, Ashlee Simpson, Kelly Clarkson, Michelle Branch, and numerous actresses who wear chucks all the time. Michelle once said in an interview that she loved chucks. The next week, Converse sent her a box with over 10 pairs of chucks. I think instead of picking one spokeperson, keds should send free pairs to as many young celebrities as possible. Or send them to fashion designers to use in their shows. They need to saturate the market with keds to remove this 'uncool' image.

I found this article on business2.com It looks business is improving. Maybe we just aren't seeing yet.

"Back with the in- crowd. Just last year, Keds -- Stride Rite's iconic 89-year-old sneaker brand -- seemed destined to spend fifth period stuck at the dork table in the lunchroom. Though the canvas shoes were a must-have in the late '80s (sales tripled for three straight years after Jennifer Grey donned a pair in Dirty Dancing), sales had fallen by more than 50 percent since their early-'90s peak. But Keds is now hanging with the popular kids again, thanks to new pitchwoman Mischa Barton, the 19-year-old star of Fox's teen drama The O.C. Keds used Barton to great effect in a spring ad campaign (tagline: "Be Cool") for a trendy new line that helped boost sales 7 percent since last year and put the shoemaker on track for its first $200 million year in a decade by 2006."

http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,1105829,00.html

Comeback Keds

Comeback Keds

Seeker said:
We can keep it alive ;-)

I think Keds was on the right track for a change by trying to market to a younger group. They were also quite successful, the micro site that they are running has 2% to 3 % conversation to sales which is good.

Is Mischa the right person for the job ... good question. I'm not real fond of her style, but she does have a broad appeal to a large market. Keds could do really well by adding another young star to the promotion.

The other thing to consider is that Stride Rite purchased Saucony a high end athletic sneaker line, they also resurrected Pro-Keds, those brands will help them place Keds in a wider selections of store.

The new lines for spring will be here in a couple months so all we can do is wait for next season and hope that the marketing people at Stride Rite continue to build a new wider market share.
I haven't noticed in my area or the part of the country that I just visited that Keds are becoming popular with younger women. Have you noticed a new trend in your area?
Also, I think that pro-keds were bought out by one of those hip-hop companys. I think it's rockawear or something.
I do hope to see keds come back strong in fashion, because I would be ahead of everyone in my area with having the most colors and styles to choose from.

Luv my Keds, Ashley

Ashley said:
I haven't noticed in my area or the part of the country that I just visited that Keds are becoming popular with younger women. Have you noticed a new trend in your area?
Also, I think that pro-keds were bought out by one of those hip-hop companys. I think it's rockawear or something.
I do hope to see keds come back strong in fashion, because I would be ahead of everyone in my area with having the most colors and styles to choose from.

Luv my Keds, Ashley
Pro-Keds is a Stride Rite brand but yes they are being promoted by Dame Dash and many others.

My area. All I can tell you is that when I went to buy keds for Aimee and friends on two occasions the local mall stores told me they were sold out and sales had been good. We have always had a limited supply of Keds in Canada though so that is no different.

Seeker said:
Pro-Keds is a Stride Rite brand but yes they are being promoted by Dame Dash and many others.

My area. All I can tell you is that when I went to buy keds for Aimee and friends on two occasions the local mall stores told me they were sold out and sales had been good. We have always had a limited supply of Keds in Canada though so that is no different.

I SO wish it were the same on the other side of the country. I did get complements on my pink Keds by a couple of young women recently though. Maybe there's hope.

Luv my Keds, Ashley

Back
Top Bottom