Mule

VIP Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
The recent discussion on crocks indicates that the consensus is that crocks are not sneakers. The secondary conclusion, and this comes through loud and clear, is that most people think they are ugly and that they should be disposed of in various nefarious ways.

If crocks are not sneakers, then what are sneakers? As I mentioned in a previous posting, if the IAU can come up with a definition on something as important as what constitutes a planet, then we as the world's assembled experts on sneakers should be able to define what a sneaker is.

I propose the following definition as a starting point.

An item of footwear consisting of a continuous, heelless sole made of rubber or plastic bound to a separate upper by a foxing of similar composition. The upper may be made of canvas, rubber or plastic.

There are some key points in this definition that excludes crocks. Crocks are cheap shoes cast in one piece. Sneakers have at least three parts: a sole, an upper and foxing that connects the two. Also crocks have heels; sneakers do not have a pronounced heel.

However, does this definition exclude known sneakers? Does it still include shoes not recognized as sneakers?

Re: What is a sneaker?

I have long argued that the only true sneaker is Keds like. All others are athletic shoes, running shoes, tennis shoes etc. I base my argument on history. Please note 1917 when the name "sneakers" was coined.

1800's
The first rubber-soled shoes, called plimsolls, were manufactured
Goodyear, then a rubber shoe company and division of the U.S. Rubber Company, begins to manufacture rubber and canvas shoes under different names, finally settling on Keds as the best name.
Marquis M. Converse establishes Converse shoe company, revolutionizing the game of basketball for more than half a century and becoming an American icon.
Keds are the first mass marketed athletic shoes. These shoes are later called sneakers by Henry Nelson McKinney, an advertising agent for N. W. Ayer & Son, because the soles are quiet and make no noise on any surface.
Converse releases the world's first performance basketball shoe, the Converse All Star.
Adi Dassler, founder of Adidas, begins producing handmade training shoes in his mother's washroom without electricity
The All Star gives way to the Chuck Taylor All Star, a staple of basketball players, kids, and rebels for more than 50 years. Also known as Chucks, Cons, Connies, these shoes, to date, have sold more than 744 million in 144 countries.
Adi and Rudolph Dassler, with the help of some 50 family members, register their business as Gebr der Dassler Schuhfabrik in Herzogenaurach, Germany.
Adidas produces its first tennis shoe.
Converse releases the Jack Purcell with its telltale “Smile” on the front. They became a staple of early Hollywood and the bad boy crowd, but remained famous longer after the 1930's badminton/tennis champion, Jack Purcell, had faded into history.
Puma Schuhfabrik Rudolf Dassler is founded and the world is introduced to the PUMA Atom, PUMA's first football shoe worn by members of the West German football team.
1950's
Sneakers are the preferred footwear of teenagers and the symbol of rebellion. These cheap and easily obtained shoes are worn by students around the world. In the U.S., cheerleaders wear sweaters, short skirts, and ankle socks with canvas topped shoes (or keds). The fashion is officially sanctioned when James Dean is photographed wearing his Levis jeans and white sneakers.

I have long argued that the only true sneaker is Keds like. All others are athletic shoes, running shoes, tennis shoes etc.

For my personal point of view, I am with you on this one Seeker.

I'm not knocking athletic shoes. Let's face it, Keds champions are really not designed for sport (even though they were every girl's "gym shoes" for decades).

Like you, I put these shoes in a category other than sneaker. They are necessary, they definitely do have their place and women can look good wearing them. But they just don't do the same thing for me as do Keds.

However, I think you and I will find a number of people who will disagree with this fundamentalist viewpoint.

Very interesting so far and from what I can tell most everyones right in their own way. We all came to what we liked when we were younger keds,cons or other shoes so bottom line and maybe a point to think about is someday there might be a younger Seeker that has a site with croccs fetish. Uhhhhh!:icon_twis

Back
Top Bottom