RonR

Gold Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
Introduce two 18 year old girls - both high school seniors. Mary and Becky. Both girls are pretty snobby and prissy and are very much preppy in their daily attire.

School just ended for the day and they are planning to visit Chad's house but missed their ride. Not to worry, Chad lives within walking distance. Half mile on the road and maybe half that if they take the cut-through behind the school and through the woods. Not wanting to be late, they decide to take the cut through that they've never been on before.

Mary is wearing a white polo, navy shorts with new, white canvas Tretorns (with a white stripe). Becky is wearing a powder blue sundress just below the knees with a white sweater over the shoulders and white ankle socks and new white, canvas Keds. Both right out the "Preppie Handbook."

Describe the two checking their outfits right before they head off. Describe them complimenting one another and doing some minor primping.

As the final bell rang and the hallways began clearing out, Mary and Becky lingered at their lockers, poised and polished, sorting out the details of their visit to Chad’s place. Both girls had an air of practiced perfection about them, embodying the very essence of preppy chic from head to toe. Their outfits, freshly chosen that morning with intentionality, were unspoken declarations of their status.

Mary stood in front of her locker, smoothing the hem of her crisp, white polo shirt. The shirt fit snugly, just enough to show off her slender frame, but was still appropriate and classic. She tugged at the waistband of her navy shorts, making sure they sat in just the right place without any creases. Her legs seemed longer than usual, bare beneath the navy cloth, and accented by her brand-new, pristine white canvas Tretorns, which were still gleaming, practically as white as the stripe on the side. Not a scuff, not a mark—untouched by wear. She took pride in the clean white pop of her footwear against the concrete floor of the school hallway and bent slightly to adjust the shoe laces one more time, ensuring they were tied just right: tight, but not too tight, with the bows even.

Mary glanced over at Becky with a small smile and quirked an eyebrow. "I swear, Bex, my Tretorns better not get dirty walking through those woods," she fussed, as she ran a hand over the back of her polo, checking for any wrinkles. "I just bought these, and you know how hard it is to keep white looking… well, white."

Becky laughed softly in agreement as she leaned against a locker, arms folded with that effortless posture that came from years of certainty she was noticed. Becky’s powder blue sundress fluttered ever so slightly as she adjusted the white sweater draped over her shoulders in that continuous loopbridge-like way: pure preppy elegance. Each sleeve was folded perfectly into the crook of her elbows; there wasn’t a chance the soft cotton sweater would slip out of place. Her sundress clung lightly to her slender form, the fabric moving just enough to accentuate its delicacy. She glanced down at her own new white Keds, gazing approvingly at their brightness paired with her ankle socks. There wasn’t a mark on them either—yet.

"Well, if your Tretorns get dirty, I don't see how my Keds are going to survive," Becky said with a light giggle as she reflexively tugged at her dress's skirt, letting it fall neatly, just grazing her knees exactly where she'd intended. "But I mean—how cute are we?" Her tone dripped with affected modesty, but they both knew they looked immaculate.

Mary gave Becky a quick once-over, tilting her head slightly. "Seriously, Becky, that sundress is everything," she cooed, reaching out to lightly touch the edge of the fabric across Becky’s waist as if to once again acknowledge its softness. "It totally brings out your eyes…and, like, the white cardigan? Obsessed."

Becky beamed, clearly absorbing the compliment with practiced grace. "Thanks, Mare! And you in that polo? Classic. You look so… crisp. C’mon, white polos are hard to pull off, but you make it look effortless."

Mary wrinkled her nose, pleased. "You know me…" she said with a mock-casual toss of her hair. "I try." She grabbed a compact mirror from her purse, flipping it open to ensure every hair of her glossy ponytail was in place. Not a strand out of order: check. She swiped the gloss across her lips again, then gave the mirror a quick snap shut.

Becky pulled out her own lip balm from her crossbody bag, dabbing just the right amount of shimmer across her lips. "I just hope Chad appreciates all this," she mused cheekily, glancing at Mary with a smirk.

Mary snorted a laugh. "If he doesn't, we're sure to remind him," she said conspiratorially. With one final glance into the locker mirror, she brushed her hands down her shorts a final time, assuring herself everything was perfect—they were perfect.

Satisfied with their meticulous looks, the girls exchanged approving nods. "Ready?" Mary asked, hoisting her purse higher on her shoulder.

"Ready," Becky echoed with a sparkle in her eyes.

With practiced precision, they turned heel and began their march toward the back of the school, unaware of the adventure that awaited them through the woods. They were prepped, primped, and polished. What could possibly go wrong?

As the final bell rang and the hallways began clearing out, Mary and Becky lingered at their lockers, poised and polished, sorting out the details of their visit to Chad’s place. Both girls had an air of practiced perfection about them, embodying the very essence of preppy chic from head to toe. Their outfits, freshly chosen that morning with intentionality, were unspoken declarations of their status.

Mary stood in front of her locker, smoothing the hem of her crisp, white polo shirt. The shirt fit snugly, just enough to show off her slender frame, but was still appropriate and classic. She tugged at the waistband of her navy shorts, making sure they sat in just the right place without any creases. Her legs seemed longer than usual, bare beneath the navy cloth, and accented by her brand-new, pristine white canvas Tretorns, which were still gleaming, practically as white as the stripe on the side. Not a scuff, not a mark—untouched by wear. She took pride in the clean white pop of her footwear against the concrete floor of the school hallway and bent slightly to adjust the shoe laces one more time, ensuring they were tied just right: tight, but not too tight, with the bows even.

Mary glanced over at Becky with a small smile and quirked an eyebrow. "I swear, Bex, my Tretorns better not get dirty walking through those woods," she fussed, as she ran a hand over the back of her polo, checking for any wrinkles. "I just bought these, and you know how hard it is to keep white looking… well, white."

Becky laughed softly in agreement as she leaned against a locker, arms folded with that effortless posture that came from years of certainty she was noticed. Becky’s powder blue sundress fluttered ever so slightly as she adjusted the white sweater draped over her shoulders in that continuous loopbridge-like way: pure preppy elegance. Each sleeve was folded perfectly into the crook of her elbows; there wasn’t a chance the soft cotton sweater would slip out of place. Her sundress clung lightly to her slender form, the fabric moving just enough to accentuate its delicacy. She glanced down at her own new white Keds, gazing approvingly at their brightness paired with her ankle socks. There wasn’t a mark on them either—yet.

"Well, if your Tretorns get dirty, I don't see how my Keds are going to survive," Becky said with a light giggle as she reflexively tugged at her dress's skirt, letting it fall neatly, just grazing her knees exactly where she'd intended. "But I mean—how cute are we?" Her tone dripped with affected modesty, but they both knew they looked immaculate.

Mary gave Becky a quick once-over, tilting her head slightly. "Seriously, Becky, that sundress is everything," she cooed, reaching out to lightly touch the edge of the fabric across Becky’s waist as if to once again acknowledge its softness. "It totally brings out your eyes…and, like, the white cardigan? Obsessed."

Becky beamed, clearly absorbing the compliment with practiced grace. "Thanks, Mare! And you in that polo? Classic. You look so… crisp. C’mon, white polos are hard to pull off, but you make it look effortless."

Mary wrinkled her nose, pleased. "You know me…" she said with a mock-casual toss of her hair. "I try." She grabbed a compact mirror from her purse, flipping it open to ensure every hair of her glossy ponytail was in place. Not a strand out of order: check. She swiped the gloss across her lips again, then gave the mirror a quick snap shut.

Becky pulled out her own lip balm from her crossbody bag, dabbing just the right amount of shimmer across her lips. "I just hope Chad appreciates all this," she mused cheekily, glancing at Mary with a smirk.

Mary snorted a laugh. "If he doesn't, we're sure to remind him," she said conspiratorially. With one final glance into the locker mirror, she brushed her hands down her shorts a final time, assuring herself everything was perfect—they were perfect.

Satisfied with their meticulous looks, the girls exchanged approving nods. "Ready?" Mary asked, hoisting her purse higher on her shoulder.

"Ready," Becky echoed with a sparkle in her eyes.

With practiced precision, they turned heel and began their march toward the back of the school, unaware of the adventure that awaited them through the woods. They were prepped, primped, and polished. What could possibly go wrong?
The walk was not far so they were confident that they could make it just fine.

First obstacle: The path winds down a slight grade to a small stream. The path is dry so it's easy to navigate. The stream is only three feet wide and there are two stepping stones in the middle. Describe them approaching the stream and eyeing up the stones. Describe if either have concerns and who goes first. They make it across clean and dry but describe whether either have close call. Also, describe the image of these two well dressed girls making their way through the woods.

The walk was not far so they were confident that they could make it just fine.

First obstacle: The path winds down a slight grade to a small stream. The path is dry so it's easy to navigate. The stream is only three feet wide and there are two stepping stones in the middle. Describe them approaching the stream and eyeing up the stones. Describe if either have concerns and who goes first. They make it across clean and dry but describe whether either have close call. Also, describe the image of these two well dressed girls making their way through the woods.
Mary and Becky had a bounce in their step as they navigated down the narrow, dry path, leaves crunching softly beneath their canvas-clad feet. Sunlight filtered through the trees in golden beams, dappling their perfectly poised figures with warmth. Their immaculate outfits stood out against the earthy tones of the woods, like two fashion-forward pictures cut from a prep style magazine and accidentally dropped into the wilderness.

Mary, in her crisp white polo and navy shorts, walked slightly ahead, her Tretorns still pristine and bright against the dust of the path. Becky, in her powder blue sundress and white Keds, followed, their elegant strides contrasting sharply with the rugged surroundings. If this were a casual stroll down the perfectly manicured streets they were used to, they would have breezed along without a second thought. But as the path gradually sloped downward, their pace slowed, and they exchanged glances, realizing this walk was just a bit more involved than they'd envisioned.

Moments later, the path brought them face-to-face with their first obstacle: a small stream. It wasn’t deep, only a few inches of water gurgling peacefully around scattered stones, but it was a definite inconvenience. The stream was about three feet wide, and two decent-sized stepping stones in the middle offered a dry, albeit narrow, path across. The girls stopped at the edge, surveying the scene before them.

Are you kidding me?” Mary’s voice broke the hum of the nature around them, her hands settling firmly on her hips as she eyed the water with narrowed eyes. "This wasn’t in the plan." She toed the edge of the stream skeptically, her white Tretorns practically glowing in stark contrast to the dark, wet stones. “I just cleaned these last weekend.”

Becky let out a light sigh, shrugging with practiced elegance, though concern flickered in her eyes as she examined the stepping stones with a tinge of hesitation. "Well, it’s either this, or we risk being late to Chad’s," she pointed out, glancing upstream as if hoping for a miracle footbridge to appear. Nothing but trees and rocks. "Besides, it’s not that bad," she continued, though her gaze lingered on her spotless white Keds worriedly. The rubber soles were still flawless, untarnished by the grime of the world.

“Well, you go first, then,” Mary said, folding her arms across her chest with faux impatience but a very real note of caution. She wasn’t the type to be reckless—especially not with her freshly purchased shoes. “Show me how graceful this can actually be.” Her tone was teasing, but her expression made it clear she wasn’t interested in taking risks with her outfit.

Rolling her eyes good-naturedly, Becky stepped forward, mentally prepping herself. "Fine," she replied with a smirk, though a flicker of apprehension shadowed her face as she planted her dainty foot on the first stone. She made sure it held steady before fully committing her weight, the sound of the water trickling by adding a layer of tension to the moment.

Step one: Success. The stone was fairly secure. Becky gracefully shifted her balance, extending her other foot to the second stone, hovering for a moment until she committed. "Okay... easy-peasy..." she whispered, as though reassuring herself while keeping her movements light, unwilling to accidentally dislodge the stone beneath her. She breezed across the final step to the far bank, her Keds untouched by any of the water’s revenge.

"Your turn, but," she grinned, turning back with a little bit of a mischievous sparkle, "careful, that middle one shifted slightly."

Mary blinked her wide eyes dramatically, making an exaggerated ugh sound. "Great. No pressure." But with Becky on the other side safely and still looking flawless, Mary felt emboldened.

With a deep breath and her delicate lip gloss shimmering under the sunlight, she gingerly stepped on the first stone. It felt stable enough, prompting her to move forward to the treacherous middle stone. Her heart seemed to hold its breath as her second foot hovered for an agonizing second or two, before lightly tapping the stone.

It wobbled a bit.

Mary’s arms instinctively pinwheeled, but she regained her balance just in time. “Whoa! Ahh—!” A soft gasp escaped her, her grip tightening around the strap of her purse. The tips of her Tretorns kissed the water ever so lightly, but she managed to keep dry, her dignity intact. “Okay, okay… it’s fine, I’m fine…” she muttered quickly to herself, before making the final leap onto solid ground by Becky’s side, her shoes still mercifully white—practically glowing in the sunlight trickling through the trees.

Becky laughed softly, her usual composed tone returning. "Not bad, Mare. Very dainty for someone who totally looked like she was about to fall into the water."

Mary rolled her eyes but smiled. "You’re hilarious. Also—never again."

The two girls stood there for a moment, adjusting their outfits reflexively—tugging at the hems of their tops and smoothing their clothes as if the woods demanded the same level of refinement as Chad’s perfectly manicured home.

As they resumed their walk, they still looked like perfect, preppy princesses utterly out of place amidst the towering trees and rugged undergrowth. The sight was almost surreal—two perfectly manicured young women, dressed in bright whites and pastel blues, conspicuously navigating the earthy browns and greens of the woods. Their every step was deliberate, carefully avoiding stray roots and damp patches on the ground, doing everything in their power to remain immaculate amidst nature's chaotic beauty.

Despite their pristine ensembles, their confidence carried them forward. White shoes, blue sundresses, crisp polos—they would conquer these woods in tastefully coordinated outfits if it was the last thing they did. After all, getting a little closer to nature was a small price to pay for getting to Chad’s house on time and in style.

Mary and Becky had a bounce in their step as they navigated down the narrow, dry path, leaves crunching softly beneath their canvas-clad feet. Sunlight filtered through the trees in golden beams, dappling their perfectly poised figures with warmth. Their immaculate outfits stood out against the earthy tones of the woods, like two fashion-forward pictures cut from a prep style magazine and accidentally dropped into the wilderness.

Mary, in her crisp white polo and navy shorts, walked slightly ahead, her Tretorns still pristine and bright against the dust of the path. Becky, in her powder blue sundress and white Keds, followed, their elegant strides contrasting sharply with the rugged surroundings. If this were a casual stroll down the perfectly manicured streets they were used to, they would have breezed along without a second thought. But as the path gradually sloped downward, their pace slowed, and they exchanged glances, realizing this walk was just a bit more involved than they'd envisioned.

Moments later, the path brought them face-to-face with their first obstacle: a small stream. It wasn’t deep, only a few inches of water gurgling peacefully around scattered stones, but it was a definite inconvenience. The stream was about three feet wide, and two decent-sized stepping stones in the middle offered a dry, albeit narrow, path across. The girls stopped at the edge, surveying the scene before them.

Are you kidding me?” Mary’s voice broke the hum of the nature around them, her hands settling firmly on her hips as she eyed the water with narrowed eyes. "This wasn’t in the plan." She toed the edge of the stream skeptically, her white Tretorns practically glowing in stark contrast to the dark, wet stones. “I just cleaned these last weekend.”

Becky let out a light sigh, shrugging with practiced elegance, though concern flickered in her eyes as she examined the stepping stones with a tinge of hesitation. "Well, it’s either this, or we risk being late to Chad’s," she pointed out, glancing upstream as if hoping for a miracle footbridge to appear. Nothing but trees and rocks. "Besides, it’s not that bad," she continued, though her gaze lingered on her spotless white Keds worriedly. The rubber soles were still flawless, untarnished by the grime of the world.

“Well, you go first, then,” Mary said, folding her arms across her chest with faux impatience but a very real note of caution. She wasn’t the type to be reckless—especially not with her freshly purchased shoes. “Show me how graceful this can actually be.” Her tone was teasing, but her expression made it clear she wasn’t interested in taking risks with her outfit.

Rolling her eyes good-naturedly, Becky stepped forward, mentally prepping herself. "Fine," she replied with a smirk, though a flicker of apprehension shadowed her face as she planted her dainty foot on the first stone. She made sure it held steady before fully committing her weight, the sound of the water trickling by adding a layer of tension to the moment.

Step one: Success. The stone was fairly secure. Becky gracefully shifted her balance, extending her other foot to the second stone, hovering for a moment until she committed. "Okay... easy-peasy..." she whispered, as though reassuring herself while keeping her movements light, unwilling to accidentally dislodge the stone beneath her. She breezed across the final step to the far bank, her Keds untouched by any of the water’s revenge.

"Your turn, but," she grinned, turning back with a little bit of a mischievous sparkle, "careful, that middle one shifted slightly."

Mary blinked her wide eyes dramatically, making an exaggerated ugh sound. "Great. No pressure." But with Becky on the other side safely and still looking flawless, Mary felt emboldened.

With a deep breath and her delicate lip gloss shimmering under the sunlight, she gingerly stepped on the first stone. It felt stable enough, prompting her to move forward to the treacherous middle stone. Her heart seemed to hold its breath as her second foot hovered for an agonizing second or two, before lightly tapping the stone.

It wobbled a bit.

Mary’s arms instinctively pinwheeled, but she regained her balance just in time. “Whoa! Ahh—!” A soft gasp escaped her, her grip tightening around the strap of her purse. The tips of her Tretorns kissed the water ever so lightly, but she managed to keep dry, her dignity intact. “Okay, okay… it’s fine, I’m fine…” she muttered quickly to herself, before making the final leap onto solid ground by Becky’s side, her shoes still mercifully white—practically glowing in the sunlight trickling through the trees.

Becky laughed softly, her usual composed tone returning. "Not bad, Mare. Very dainty for someone who totally looked like she was about to fall into the water."

Mary rolled her eyes but smiled. "You’re hilarious. Also—never again."

The two girls stood there for a moment, adjusting their outfits reflexively—tugging at the hems of their tops and smoothing their clothes as if the woods demanded the same level of refinement as Chad’s perfectly manicured home.

As they resumed their walk, they still looked like perfect, preppy princesses utterly out of place amidst the towering trees and rugged undergrowth. The sight was almost surreal—two perfectly manicured young women, dressed in bright whites and pastel blues, conspicuously navigating the earthy browns and greens of the woods. Their every step was deliberate, carefully avoiding stray roots and damp patches on the ground, doing everything in their power to remain immaculate amidst nature's chaotic beauty.

Despite their pristine ensembles, their confidence carried them forward. White shoes, blue sundresses, crisp polos—they would conquer these woods in tastefully coordinated outfits if it was the last thing they did. After all, getting a little closer to nature was a small price to pay for getting to Chad’s house on time and in style.
Next obstacle: The girls come to a large mud puddle taking up the width of the path. Possibly four feet across. Too far to jump. What made it worse was that the dirt bike kids have churned up the mud pretty good making it something you don't want to be around. There is a small log along the edge of the puddle on the left side. Their only option is to walk across the log to get to the other side. Describe them coming to the mud puddle and coming to a stop. Describe them looking at disgust at the mud and ultimately deciding to cross on the log. They both make it across perfectly clean but describe any close calls they may have.

Next obstacle: The girls come to a large mud puddle taking up the width of the path. Possibly four feet across. Too far to jump. What made it worse was that the dirt bike kids have churned up the mud pretty good making it something you don't want to be around. There is a small log along the edge of the puddle on the left side. Their only option is to walk across the log to get to the other side. Describe them coming to the mud puddle and coming to a stop. Describe them looking at disgust at the mud and ultimately deciding to cross on the log. They both make it across perfectly clean but describe any close calls they may have.
As Mary and Becky continued through the woods, feeling a small sense of accomplishment after crossing the stream, they picked up the pace a bit, eager to get to Chad's house, where everything was far more refined and effortless than this impromptu nature hike. The trees swayed gently above them, birds chirped somewhere in the distance, and for a moment, the path seemed smooth again. They exchanged relieved glances, their strides becoming a little bouncier as their confidence returned.

Then, just as they continued around a bend, they came to an abrupt halt.

In front of them was a large mud puddle, one that stretched across the narrow path. Four feet wide, churned up into a muddy mess by dirt bike tires, the path was thick with dark, soupy brown mud swirling with a smattering of stray leaves. The aggressive tracks, undoubtedly left by the group of local daredevils that always buzzed around on their dirt bikes, had made the scene even worse. The mud was sticky and deep; you could tell by looking at it that if either girl ended up stepping in it, they'd lose their shoes—or worse, be covered in the stuff from head to toe.

Coming to a stop just a foot from the edge of the puddle, Mary and Becky’s faces contorted with mutual disgust.

Ew, no!” Mary exclaimed, her eyes wide as she put a protective foot back, instinctively shielding her beloved white Tretorns. "Absolutely not walking through that." Her eyes scanned the muddy disaster with disdain. "I’d rather just turn around and go home. We’ll text Chad and tell him we couldn’t make it. He’ll understand."

Becky groaned softly, crossing her arms. “I can’t believe they’d tear up the whole path like this. Look at it,” she said, shaking her perfectly arranged blonde hair slightly as she gazed gloomily at her fresh-out-of-the-box Keds. "We’d ruin everything if we—ugh, this is so inconvenient."

They stood there for a moment, at a proverbial impasse with the thick, brown sludge. It was a problem neither girl had anticipated, but there it was—waiting to swallow any misstep. However, after a brief silence, Mary’s eyes flicked to one side of the puddle as if trying to search for an alternate solution. And then she saw it.

Along the left edge, nestled between the mud and some underbrush, was a slim log, partially embedded in the ground but elongated enough to form a bridge—barely three inches wide in places—across the entire puddle’s length. It wasn’t ideal, but it was their only option. The reality of taking that slimy path instead of turning around solidified in both their minds.

“Well,” Mary said with a sigh, motioning toward the log, “we could, like… walk along that?” Her tone was dripping with skepticism, but the glance Becky shot back suggested they both understood this was about the only way to move forward without having to completely backtrack.

Becky grimaced slightly but nodded. "I mean, we’re already halfway. And if we text Chad saying we bailed because of a little mud…" she trailed off, leaving the unspoken social cost of doing something so embarrassing—missing out because of some trivial puddle—in the air. It wasn’t happening. Social queen bees don’t get deterred by biker mud obstacles.

With a resigned sigh, Mary moved toward the log, carefully testing it with one foot. "Okay… it's sturdy enough," she murmured, though the caution in her voice was unmistakable. She stepped fully onto the log, her white canvas Tretorns now balancing delicately along its uneven surface. The air was a little more tense, her polished self slightly nervous; you could sense it in how carefully she placed each foot in front of the other.

"Maybe you should… try and give me some space," Mary said, glancing back at Becky. "You know, in case one of us—"

"In case one of us falls into the mud?" Becky finished with a dry smirk, though a hint of nervousness flashed in her eyes. "Don’t even say it."

But Becky waited a moment before cautiously stepping onto the log behind Mary. Her Keds felt somehow more precarious than Mary’s athletic Tretorns, and she winced internally when her footing teetered for half a second. The log, though wide enough to walk along, wasn't exactly smooth, and the slimy bark made things just uncomfortable enough to keep things tense.

Mary took careful steps, one after the other, her gaze locked directly ahead, her arms held aloft to balance. Everything seemed to slow, the sound of the forest fading slightly as if even nature was waiting for an impending misstep. She made it halfway across without a hitch until… her right foot slipped ever so slightly, the corner of one Tretorn catching the edge of some slick moss along the log.

"Ah!" she gasped, arms flailing for a moment as her body tilted noticeably sideways. In that terrifying moment, she could practically see her brand-new white shoe sinking into the mud below. But in a feat of delicate, practiced balance, she managed to regain her composure just in time. She took a breath, her heart racing.

Becky froze behind her, a gasp caught in her throat. "Oh my God, Mary!" she whispered loudly, as if fear alone could pull both of them into the mud.

Mary, once steadied again, let out a nervous laugh. "Close call… but I’m still clean!"

Cautiously making her way forward, Mary finally stepped off the log and onto solid, dry ground on the opposite side, instantly leaning down to inspect the nearly imperceptible bit of dirt that had landed on the edge of her shoe. It wasn’t much, but to her, it was a tragedy narrowly avoided. She swiped it off with a delicate finger, her heart slowing down.

"Okay, Bex," she called back. "Your turn."

Becky swallowed but stepped forward, focusing with laser precision. The log barely creaked under her light steps, but every small irregularity in the log’s surface threw off her balance just enough to make her pause several times, steadying herself. Halfway across, her shoe slid an inch to the right, causing her hand to shoot out instinctively to steady herself on the nearby branches. Her pretty pastel sundress fluttered ever so slightly as a breeze caught her mid-wobble.

"Don’t look down," she muttered to herself, biting her glossed lip as though that alone would keep her safe. Once the log leveled out again, she gave a small, determined nod and took one final confident step off onto the dry path beside Mary.

Both girls exhaled deeply, exchanging relieved glances.

"I’m never doing that again," Becky said with mock severity, eyeing the mud and the log disdainfully.

"I know, right? But hey—we made it across clean. Still perfect," Mary grinned, though she shot a disdainful look back at the mud behind them. "And our shoes are still white."

They both looked down at their sneakers. Flawless.

As Mary and Becky continued through the woods, feeling a small sense of accomplishment after crossing the stream, they picked up the pace a bit, eager to get to Chad's house, where everything was far more refined and effortless than this impromptu nature hike. The trees swayed gently above them, birds chirped somewhere in the distance, and for a moment, the path seemed smooth again. They exchanged relieved glances, their strides becoming a little bouncier as their confidence returned.

Then, just as they continued around a bend, they came to an abrupt halt.

In front of them was a large mud puddle, one that stretched across the narrow path. Four feet wide, churned up into a muddy mess by dirt bike tires, the path was thick with dark, soupy brown mud swirling with a smattering of stray leaves. The aggressive tracks, undoubtedly left by the group of local daredevils that always buzzed around on their dirt bikes, had made the scene even worse. The mud was sticky and deep; you could tell by looking at it that if either girl ended up stepping in it, they'd lose their shoes—or worse, be covered in the stuff from head to toe.

Coming to a stop just a foot from the edge of the puddle, Mary and Becky’s faces contorted with mutual disgust.

Ew, no!” Mary exclaimed, her eyes wide as she put a protective foot back, instinctively shielding her beloved white Tretorns. "Absolutely not walking through that." Her eyes scanned the muddy disaster with disdain. "I’d rather just turn around and go home. We’ll text Chad and tell him we couldn’t make it. He’ll understand."

Becky groaned softly, crossing her arms. “I can’t believe they’d tear up the whole path like this. Look at it,” she said, shaking her perfectly arranged blonde hair slightly as she gazed gloomily at her fresh-out-of-the-box Keds. "We’d ruin everything if we—ugh, this is so inconvenient."

They stood there for a moment, at a proverbial impasse with the thick, brown sludge. It was a problem neither girl had anticipated, but there it was—waiting to swallow any misstep. However, after a brief silence, Mary’s eyes flicked to one side of the puddle as if trying to search for an alternate solution. And then she saw it.

Along the left edge, nestled between the mud and some underbrush, was a slim log, partially embedded in the ground but elongated enough to form a bridge—barely three inches wide in places—across the entire puddle’s length. It wasn’t ideal, but it was their only option. The reality of taking that slimy path instead of turning around solidified in both their minds.

“Well,” Mary said with a sigh, motioning toward the log, “we could, like… walk along that?” Her tone was dripping with skepticism, but the glance Becky shot back suggested they both understood this was about the only way to move forward without having to completely backtrack.

Becky grimaced slightly but nodded. "I mean, we’re already halfway. And if we text Chad saying we bailed because of a little mud…" she trailed off, leaving the unspoken social cost of doing something so embarrassing—missing out because of some trivial puddle—in the air. It wasn’t happening. Social queen bees don’t get deterred by biker mud obstacles.

With a resigned sigh, Mary moved toward the log, carefully testing it with one foot. "Okay… it's sturdy enough," she murmured, though the caution in her voice was unmistakable. She stepped fully onto the log, her white canvas Tretorns now balancing delicately along its uneven surface. The air was a little more tense, her polished self slightly nervous; you could sense it in how carefully she placed each foot in front of the other.

"Maybe you should… try and give me some space," Mary said, glancing back at Becky. "You know, in case one of us—"

"In case one of us falls into the mud?" Becky finished with a dry smirk, though a hint of nervousness flashed in her eyes. "Don’t even say it."

But Becky waited a moment before cautiously stepping onto the log behind Mary. Her Keds felt somehow more precarious than Mary’s athletic Tretorns, and she winced internally when her footing teetered for half a second. The log, though wide enough to walk along, wasn't exactly smooth, and the slimy bark made things just uncomfortable enough to keep things tense.

Mary took careful steps, one after the other, her gaze locked directly ahead, her arms held aloft to balance. Everything seemed to slow, the sound of the forest fading slightly as if even nature was waiting for an impending misstep. She made it halfway across without a hitch until… her right foot slipped ever so slightly, the corner of one Tretorn catching the edge of some slick moss along the log.

"Ah!" she gasped, arms flailing for a moment as her body tilted noticeably sideways. In that terrifying moment, she could practically see her brand-new white shoe sinking into the mud below. But in a feat of delicate, practiced balance, she managed to regain her composure just in time. She took a breath, her heart racing.

Becky froze behind her, a gasp caught in her throat. "Oh my God, Mary!" she whispered loudly, as if fear alone could pull both of them into the mud.

Mary, once steadied again, let out a nervous laugh. "Close call… but I’m still clean!"

Cautiously making her way forward, Mary finally stepped off the log and onto solid, dry ground on the opposite side, instantly leaning down to inspect the nearly imperceptible bit of dirt that had landed on the edge of her shoe. It wasn’t much, but to her, it was a tragedy narrowly avoided. She swiped it off with a delicate finger, her heart slowing down.

"Okay, Bex," she called back. "Your turn."

Becky swallowed but stepped forward, focusing with laser precision. The log barely creaked under her light steps, but every small irregularity in the log’s surface threw off her balance just enough to make her pause several times, steadying herself. Halfway across, her shoe slid an inch to the right, causing her hand to shoot out instinctively to steady herself on the nearby branches. Her pretty pastel sundress fluttered ever so slightly as a breeze caught her mid-wobble.

"Don’t look down," she muttered to herself, biting her glossed lip as though that alone would keep her safe. Once the log leveled out again, she gave a small, determined nod and took one final confident step off onto the dry path beside Mary.

Both girls exhaled deeply, exchanging relieved glances.

"I’m never doing that again," Becky said with mock severity, eyeing the mud and the log disdainfully.

"I know, right? But hey—we made it across clean. Still perfect," Mary grinned, though she shot a disdainful look back at the mud behind them. "And our shoes are still white."

They both looked down at their sneakers. Flawless.
The girls could see the houses now from where they were in the woods. They're close now. Thank goodness.

As they rounded the last bend, they came to yet another obstacle. A new house was being built and water from the run off filled a trench cutting across the trail. Fortunately, someone had left a narrow board across the muddy expanse. Describe them evaluating their options and Mary deciding to go first. First, Mary decides to make sure her clothes are straight doing some primping. Describe Mary starting across with her arms out for balance with Becky following. When Becky stepped onto the board, it added too much weight causing it to break with both girls falling into several inches of mud and water - both sprawled out on their sides. Describe their shock and dismay. Describe the damage to their clothes and shoes. Describe in detail them arguing with one another as to whose fault it was as they stand with their outfits ruined.

The girls could see the houses now from where they were in the woods. They're close now. Thank goodness.

As they rounded the last bend, they came to yet another obstacle. A new house was being built and water from the run off filled a trench cutting across the trail. Fortunately, someone had left a narrow board across the muddy expanse. Describe them evaluating their options and Mary deciding to go first. First, Mary decides to make sure her clothes are straight doing some primping. Describe Mary starting across with her arms out for balance with Becky following. When Becky stepped onto the board, it added too much weight causing it to break with both girls falling into several inches of mud and water - both sprawled out on their sides. Describe their shock and dismay. Describe the damage to their clothes and shoes. Describe in detail them arguing with one another as to whose fault it was as they stand with their outfits ruined.
The girls were finally nearing the edge of the woods, their steps lightening when they caught glimpses of houses in the distance. The sun glinted off rooftops, and they could almost feel the relief of Chad’s air-conditioned home and plush sofas, not to mention his doting attention. "Finally," Mary breathed as they rounded the last bend in the trail. Both girls were tired from their impromptu wilderness adventure, though they tried to hide it behind straightened backs and poised steps.

“We’re almost there,” Becky exclaimed, her voice filled with hope but laced with a hint of fatigue.

But as soon as they turned the bend, that hope was shattered.

Before them was one more unwelcome challenge. A large trench, gouged into the earth by construction near a new house, yawned before them. It wasn’t too deep—perhaps six inches or so—but muddy water filled the trench, turning it into a sticky mire. The runoff, mixed with dirt and construction debris, had created a thick, soupy mud bath. Over the trench lay a narrow wooden board, weather-worn and questionable at best, and not particularly wide—just wide enough for one girl to walk across it if they kept their steps straight.

"Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me," Mary groaned, putting her hands on her hips as she stared down at the mess in utter disbelief. Her white Tretorns caught the sunlight, practically glowing against the dark earth around them, and she stepped back slightly as though recoiling from the muddy pit like it was a contagious disease. "This close, Bex. We’re this close, and it’s… mud? Really?"

Becky’s shoulders slumped as she surveyed the scene. "Why? Why today?" She nudged at the edge of the trench with the toe of her Keds, wincing as a bit of mud slipped down the side. "We almost made it." She sighed, exasperated.

Mary’s eyes narrowed, thinking through their options. There weren’t many, realistically. Turning around wasn’t one of them. And the board—though sketchy—was the best solution to get across.

"Okay," Mary finally said, smoothing her hands down her white polo as though gathering her resolve. "There’s no other way, clearly. We’d have to walk all the way back through the woods if we don’t cross here, and that’s not happening. We’ll just have to… be careful." She pressed her lips together, then quickly tugged at the hem of her navy shorts, straightening them with a prim little flick of her fingers. After checking that her ponytail was still perfectly in place, she gave her canvas Tretorns one last glance. They were, as always, spotless.

Becky, watching Mary as she primped and fussed over her outfit, raised an eyebrow but said nothing. She understood the meticulousness, but considering they were about to cross a rickety board over a flooded trench, it felt a little unnecessary.

"Here goes," Mary finally said, stepping cautiously toward the narrow board. She placed her foot on it gingerly, testing its stability. The board wobbled slightly but it held. She took a deep breath.

"You’re going to go first?" Becky asked, looking both surprised and slightly impressed.

"Someone has to do it," Mary muttered with mock bravado, though secretly, her heart was pounding. Her arms lifted out to the sides for balance, and she began inching her way across, her pristine Tretorns carefully aligned one step in front of the other. She kept her eyes trained on the board, her steps slow, controlled. So far, so good.

With each step, the board swayed ever so slightly, the water below sluggishly swirling in the trench. Mary’s shoulders were stiff, her arms hovering just above her sides, as though sheer focus alone could keep her steady. Her heart skipped a beat when the board creaked loudly beneath her weight, but it still held. As if to reassure herself, she murmured, "Okay… almost there..."

Becky, nervously watching from the edge, pursed her lips. "Careful, Mare…"

Mary finally made it to the other side, hopping off the board with a slight sigh of relief. "Okay, your turn," she called, placing her hands on her hips as she waited.

Becky hesitated for a moment, then carefully began stepping onto the board. Her white Keds settled lightly on the wood, and she held her breath as she followed the same careful path Mary had. So far, so good—until she neared the middle of the board.

Just as Becky advanced toward the midpoint, the board groaned under the combined weight of the two girls. A sharp, splintering crack echoed through the air.

"Wait, it’s—!" Becky started to say, but she never finished. In an instant, the board split in two with a deafening snap, sending both girls sprawling into the muddy trench below.

With a collective shriek, Mary and Becky tumbled sideways into the muck.

"NO! NO, NO, NO!" Mary’s voice was filled with pure panic and horror as she found herself splashing into several inches of mud and water. She had landed on her side, her once-pristine white Tretorns now completely submerged in the muck. Her navy shorts were caked in thick, dripping mud, and the entire side of her white polo shirt was soaked and stained beyond repair. Meanwhile, her perfectly styled ponytail hung limply down her neck, now streaked with bits of mud and water.

Becky, sprawled out next to her in the mud, was in a similar state of shock. Her powdered-blue sundress was drenched, the fabric clinging to her legs and stomach, now stained with dark brown streaks. Her cardigan had fallen into a gross, muddy heap, and her white Keds, once so spotless, were no longer recognizable, completely submerged in the sludge. Mud had splashed up to her knees, her socks soaked beyond saving.

For a moment, neither girl said anything, too stunned to form words. The mud oozed around them, making sloshing sounds as they struggled to sit up.

Mary wiped a streak of mud from her cheek, her face twisting into an expression of pure disbelief. "I knew it! I just knew this whole thing was a mistake!" she exclaimed, her voice shaking with a mix of anger and disbelief as she stared down at her ruined shoes and ruined outfit. "This is all YOUR fault." She flung an accusing glare at Becky, pointing furiously toward the splintered board sticking out of the mud.

"My fault?! How is this MY fault?" Becky countered incredulously as she tried (and failed) to wipe mud off her once-powder-blue sundress. Her hands came away covered in sticky brown sludge. "You’re the one who insisted on going first!" she shrieked, pulling at the soggy fabric of her dress that clung in uncomfortable, muddy patches to her legs.

"Oh, right. And YOU stepping on the board didn’t break it? Of COURSE it broke when you got on!" Mary shot back, standing up shakily in the mud, her once-immaculate white Tretorns making horrible squishing sounds as she tried to pry one foot up from the mess.

Becky’s eyes flared with indignation. "Are you calling me FAT, Mary?! I didn’t make the board break!" she snapped, standing up herself and gesturing dramatically at the broken planks. "If anything, you were the one putting too much pressure on it!"

"I—" Mary sputtered, glaring at her friend’s now equally ruined shoes. "Just LOOK at our clothes! Look at our shoes!" she wailed, stepping in place and kicking off more clumps of soggy mud. "This is a total disaster. We look awful! What are we supposed to do now?!"

"Well, we can’t exactly walk into Chad’s like this!" Becky shouted, throwing her arms in the air, her dress soaked and clinging awkwardly to her body. Mud streaked up her delicate legs and arms, her hair now a stringy mess. "This is embarrassing!"

Both girls stood there in the trench, still half-covered in mud, looking utterly defeated. Their flawlessly preppy outfits were ruined, their white shoes a distant memory beneath the brown muck.

And yet, for all their blame-shifting and arguing, they both knew one thing: there was no coming back from this cleanly.

“I’m never taking a shortcut again,” Mary muttered dejectedly, her shoulders slumping.

Becky just sighed. "Yeah… same."

The girls were finally nearing the edge of the woods, their steps lightening when they caught glimpses of houses in the distance. The sun glinted off rooftops, and they could almost feel the relief of Chad’s air-conditioned home and plush sofas, not to mention his doting attention. "Finally," Mary breathed as they rounded the last bend in the trail. Both girls were tired from their impromptu wilderness adventure, though they tried to hide it behind straightened backs and poised steps.

“We’re almost there,” Becky exclaimed, her voice filled with hope but laced with a hint of fatigue.

But as soon as they turned the bend, that hope was shattered.

Before them was one more unwelcome challenge. A large trench, gouged into the earth by construction near a new house, yawned before them. It wasn’t too deep—perhaps six inches or so—but muddy water filled the trench, turning it into a sticky mire. The runoff, mixed with dirt and construction debris, had created a thick, soupy mud bath. Over the trench lay a narrow wooden board, weather-worn and questionable at best, and not particularly wide—just wide enough for one girl to walk across it if they kept their steps straight.

"Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me," Mary groaned, putting her hands on her hips as she stared down at the mess in utter disbelief. Her white Tretorns caught the sunlight, practically glowing against the dark earth around them, and she stepped back slightly as though recoiling from the muddy pit like it was a contagious disease. "This close, Bex. We’re this close, and it’s… mud? Really?"

Becky’s shoulders slumped as she surveyed the scene. "Why? Why today?" She nudged at the edge of the trench with the toe of her Keds, wincing as a bit of mud slipped down the side. "We almost made it." She sighed, exasperated.

Mary’s eyes narrowed, thinking through their options. There weren’t many, realistically. Turning around wasn’t one of them. And the board—though sketchy—was the best solution to get across.

"Okay," Mary finally said, smoothing her hands down her white polo as though gathering her resolve. "There’s no other way, clearly. We’d have to walk all the way back through the woods if we don’t cross here, and that’s not happening. We’ll just have to… be careful." She pressed her lips together, then quickly tugged at the hem of her navy shorts, straightening them with a prim little flick of her fingers. After checking that her ponytail was still perfectly in place, she gave her canvas Tretorns one last glance. They were, as always, spotless.

Becky, watching Mary as she primped and fussed over her outfit, raised an eyebrow but said nothing. She understood the meticulousness, but considering they were about to cross a rickety board over a flooded trench, it felt a little unnecessary.

"Here goes," Mary finally said, stepping cautiously toward the narrow board. She placed her foot on it gingerly, testing its stability. The board wobbled slightly but it held. She took a deep breath.

"You’re going to go first?" Becky asked, looking both surprised and slightly impressed.

"Someone has to do it," Mary muttered with mock bravado, though secretly, her heart was pounding. Her arms lifted out to the sides for balance, and she began inching her way across, her pristine Tretorns carefully aligned one step in front of the other. She kept her eyes trained on the board, her steps slow, controlled. So far, so good.

With each step, the board swayed ever so slightly, the water below sluggishly swirling in the trench. Mary’s shoulders were stiff, her arms hovering just above her sides, as though sheer focus alone could keep her steady. Her heart skipped a beat when the board creaked loudly beneath her weight, but it still held. As if to reassure herself, she murmured, "Okay… almost there..."

Becky, nervously watching from the edge, pursed her lips. "Careful, Mare…"

Mary finally made it to the other side, hopping off the board with a slight sigh of relief. "Okay, your turn," she called, placing her hands on her hips as she waited.

Becky hesitated for a moment, then carefully began stepping onto the board. Her white Keds settled lightly on the wood, and she held her breath as she followed the same careful path Mary had. So far, so good—until she neared the middle of the board.

Just as Becky advanced toward the midpoint, the board groaned under the combined weight of the two girls. A sharp, splintering crack echoed through the air.

"Wait, it’s—!" Becky started to say, but she never finished. In an instant, the board split in two with a deafening snap, sending both girls sprawling into the muddy trench below.

With a collective shriek, Mary and Becky tumbled sideways into the muck.

"NO! NO, NO, NO!" Mary’s voice was filled with pure panic and horror as she found herself splashing into several inches of mud and water. She had landed on her side, her once-pristine white Tretorns now completely submerged in the muck. Her navy shorts were caked in thick, dripping mud, and the entire side of her white polo shirt was soaked and stained beyond repair. Meanwhile, her perfectly styled ponytail hung limply down her neck, now streaked with bits of mud and water.

Becky, sprawled out next to her in the mud, was in a similar state of shock. Her powdered-blue sundress was drenched, the fabric clinging to her legs and stomach, now stained with dark brown streaks. Her cardigan had fallen into a gross, muddy heap, and her white Keds, once so spotless, were no longer recognizable, completely submerged in the sludge. Mud had splashed up to her knees, her socks soaked beyond saving.

For a moment, neither girl said anything, too stunned to form words. The mud oozed around them, making sloshing sounds as they struggled to sit up.

Mary wiped a streak of mud from her cheek, her face twisting into an expression of pure disbelief. "I knew it! I just knew this whole thing was a mistake!" she exclaimed, her voice shaking with a mix of anger and disbelief as she stared down at her ruined shoes and ruined outfit. "This is all YOUR fault." She flung an accusing glare at Becky, pointing furiously toward the splintered board sticking out of the mud.

"My fault?! How is this MY fault?" Becky countered incredulously as she tried (and failed) to wipe mud off her once-powder-blue sundress. Her hands came away covered in sticky brown sludge. "You’re the one who insisted on going first!" she shrieked, pulling at the soggy fabric of her dress that clung in uncomfortable, muddy patches to her legs.

"Oh, right. And YOU stepping on the board didn’t break it? Of COURSE it broke when you got on!" Mary shot back, standing up shakily in the mud, her once-immaculate white Tretorns making horrible squishing sounds as she tried to pry one foot up from the mess.

Becky’s eyes flared with indignation. "Are you calling me FAT, Mary?! I didn’t make the board break!" she snapped, standing up herself and gesturing dramatically at the broken planks. "If anything, you were the one putting too much pressure on it!"

"I—" Mary sputtered, glaring at her friend’s now equally ruined shoes. "Just LOOK at our clothes! Look at our shoes!" she wailed, stepping in place and kicking off more clumps of soggy mud. "This is a total disaster. We look awful! What are we supposed to do now?!"

"Well, we can’t exactly walk into Chad’s like this!" Becky shouted, throwing her arms in the air, her dress soaked and clinging awkwardly to her body. Mud streaked up her delicate legs and arms, her hair now a stringy mess. "This is embarrassing!"

Both girls stood there in the trench, still half-covered in mud, looking utterly defeated. Their flawlessly preppy outfits were ruined, their white shoes a distant memory beneath the brown muck.

And yet, for all their blame-shifting and arguing, they both knew one thing: there was no coming back from this cleanly.

“I’m never taking a shortcut again,” Mary muttered dejectedly, her shoulders slumping.

Becky just sighed. "Yeah… same."
Describe their embarrassment as Chad came over to see what was going on only to see the two girls covered in mud. The cute outfits that he had just seen in school ruined. Describe how they looked as he approached. Describe them trying to gracefully get out of the mud. Describe them assessing the damage to their outfits and who was blaming who.

Describe their embarrassment as Chad came over to see what was going on only to see the two girls covered in mud. The cute outfits that he had just seen in school ruined. Describe how they looked as he approached. Describe them trying to gracefully get out of the mud. Describe them assessing the damage to their outfits and who was blaming who.
As the echoes of Mary and Becky’s argument faded into the humid air, the sound of footsteps approached. Neither girl noticed it at first, too absorbed in surveying the damage to their outfits and shaking off the sludge. But then, just beyond the trees bordering Chad’s house, a familiar figure emerged—blond hair, letterman jacket, that easy, confident stride.

It was Chad, coming to see what was holding Mary and Becky up. He had been expecting them to arrive promptly—after all, they were the type to never be late. But as Chad walked closer, the slight smirk he’d been wearing quickly morphed into confusion.

His expression shifted again—this time to total shock. The flawless Mary and Becky he had seen just hours ago at school were unrecognizable. Where they had once been impeccably dressed in their pristine, preppy outfits, now stood two mud-soaked disasters. Chad blinked hard, like his eyes were playing tricks on him.

"Woah!" he called out, his voice equal parts amusement and disbelief. "What the heck happened to you two?"

Mary and Becky froze as they heard Chad’s voice. Slowly, they turned their heads in his direction, horror sinking in at the realization that he, of all people, had witnessed their muddy demise. If they didn’t already feel completely humiliated, this was the cherry on top.

Chad approached, stifling a laugh but clearly not quite concealing it. He raised an eyebrow in mock confusion as his eyes swept over the girls—Mary, still sprawled awkwardly on her side, her white Tretorns now a brownish, soaking mess. Her crisp white polo was streaked with mud, almost completely ruined, and her previously spotless navy shorts were now caked with thick, wet goop. The mud clung to her long legs, and even small bits of leaves had tangled themselves into her once-perfect ponytail. She looked like a far cry from the graceful prep school queen he’d seen earlier.

Next to her, Becky was no better off. The powder-blue sundress that had once made her look delicate and poised was now splattered with dark brown streaks, the mud soaking into every inch of fabric and weighing it down against her skin. Her cardigan, once impeccable in its soft white fold on her delicate shoulders, had slipped into the muck entirely, lifeless and drenched. Her Keds were buried in — or maybe now a part of—the soggy ground. Mud streaked her legs and clung to her hair in a way that neither of them could have ever predicted when they left school.

Struggling to hold onto any semblance of dignity, Mary spoke first. “Chad! I… we… We were just trying to take a shortcut!” She tried to sound nonchalant, but her voice came out shaky and on the verge of panic as she adjusted herself to stand. Graceful as ever, she tried to rise from the mud with poise, lifting one mud-caked hand to dust off her shorts—to no avail. The mud only smeared further into the fabric. "It was this stupid trail!" she added quickly, her voice dripping with frustration.

Beside her, Becky attempted to stand as well, but the thick muck sucked at her feet, and as she pulled one shoe free, she winced as the dreadful squelching sound filled the air. "Ughhhh…" she groaned miserably, her face contorting in embarrassment as she struggled to find any balance. She, too, tried to brush herself off, but each swipe of her hand only seemed to make the dirt worse. Dirt streaked her sundress and arms, and she could already feel how ruined her hair must look.

Chad, watching their awkward attempts to regain composure, struggled to suppress a grin. "Looks like you guys had a bit of a fall," he teased, folding his arms and looking at them both with open amusement.

Becky’s face flushed with embarrassment, and she quickly shot a glance at Mary, as if trying to place the blame anywhere other than on herself. "This is all her fault!" she exclaimed, pointing a muddy finger toward Mary. "She’s the one who insisted we take the stupid shortcut! I knew it was a bad idea!"

Mary’s eyes widened at Becky’s accusation, her face flushing in anger. "Oh please!" she spat back, standing tall now despite bits of leaf sticking in her hair. "If YOU hadn’t stepped onto the board behind me so fast, it wouldn’t have broken!"

Becky gasped, her fists clenching at her sides—an impressive feat given how caked they were in mud. "Seriously, Mary? I stepped carefully! It was your wobbling and—your big shoes that did it!"

"My shoes?! Are you kidding me?!" Mary’s face contorted in offended disbelief, glancing down with a mixture of desperation and fury at the ruined Tretorns, once the jewel of her outfit. "Right—because your shoes magically don’t weigh a thing!"

Chad looked between the two as they went back and forth, biting the inside of his cheek to suppress a chuckle. "Hey, hey, woah," he interjected, stepping closer. "Not to break up this beautiful friendship moment, but maybe don’t fight… in the mud?" He shot them both a dry look. "It’s not really helping your outfits."

Mary shot a glare back at Becky but sighed, her hands dropping to her hips as she lifted one muddy foot awkwardly from the trench, wincing at the sight of her clothes. "We're ruined," she muttered bitterly, louder now, as if pleading for some sympathy from Chad. "I just bought this polo! And my Tretorns… ugh, they’re never going to come clean."

Becky, still fuming from the spat, looked down at her own dress and choked back a groan. The once-dainty sundress now clung to her like a soggy dish rag—filthy and beyond repair. "I look like a contestant on that survivor show," she griped, running a hand through her mud-streaked hair as if to salvage something—anything—of her appearance.

Chad, ever the good-natured sport, decided to finally step in. "Alright, alright," he said, trying hard not to fully laugh, even though he was clearly enjoying the spectacle. "Let’s just get you guys inside and cleaned up. I'll lend you something to wear and…"

"Something to wear?!" Becky blurted in horror, momentarily pausing in getting out of the pit. "Chad, we’re not about to wear guy clothes!" Her voice hitched in alarm at the idea.

Mary, echoing Becky’s feelings, grimaced deeply at the thought too. A pair of basketball shorts and an oversized T-shirt were so far from the polished, preppy image she’d left her house in that morning. "Seriously, Chad? Don’t you have towels or anything?" she pleaded desperately.

With a resigned grunt, both girls finally wrenched themselves fully from the mud, their feet making awful squelching sounds as they did so. They stood awkwardly at the edge of the trench, covered in mud from head to toe, their once-gorgeous outfits—and any hopes of looking cute for Chad—completely shattered. The cool air seemed to make the mud even heavier as it clung to their once pristine ensembles, and both girls stood like two soggy, muddy monuments of ruined preppiness.

Chad just shook his head, clearly trying to contain more laughter as he stifled the amusement in his voice. "Okay, okay, towels it is! But c’mon, you two. Let’s get you cleaned up before you scare the neighbors."

Mary sighed dramatically, giving Becky one last pointed glare before both girls trudged behind Chad towards the house. Their ruined outfits, their filthy shoes, the dried-on mud—everything seemed to weigh on them much more heavily than just their fashion emergency. But one thing was certain: neither would live this moment down anytime soon.

As the echoes of Mary and Becky’s argument faded into the humid air, the sound of footsteps approached. Neither girl noticed it at first, too absorbed in surveying the damage to their outfits and shaking off the sludge. But then, just beyond the trees bordering Chad’s house, a familiar figure emerged—blond hair, letterman jacket, that easy, confident stride.

It was Chad, coming to see what was holding Mary and Becky up. He had been expecting them to arrive promptly—after all, they were the type to never be late. But as Chad walked closer, the slight smirk he’d been wearing quickly morphed into confusion.

His expression shifted again—this time to total shock. The flawless Mary and Becky he had seen just hours ago at school were unrecognizable. Where they had once been impeccably dressed in their pristine, preppy outfits, now stood two mud-soaked disasters. Chad blinked hard, like his eyes were playing tricks on him.

"Woah!" he called out, his voice equal parts amusement and disbelief. "What the heck happened to you two?"

Mary and Becky froze as they heard Chad’s voice. Slowly, they turned their heads in his direction, horror sinking in at the realization that he, of all people, had witnessed their muddy demise. If they didn’t already feel completely humiliated, this was the cherry on top.

Chad approached, stifling a laugh but clearly not quite concealing it. He raised an eyebrow in mock confusion as his eyes swept over the girls—Mary, still sprawled awkwardly on her side, her white Tretorns now a brownish, soaking mess. Her crisp white polo was streaked with mud, almost completely ruined, and her previously spotless navy shorts were now caked with thick, wet goop. The mud clung to her long legs, and even small bits of leaves had tangled themselves into her once-perfect ponytail. She looked like a far cry from the graceful prep school queen he’d seen earlier.

Next to her, Becky was no better off. The powder-blue sundress that had once made her look delicate and poised was now splattered with dark brown streaks, the mud soaking into every inch of fabric and weighing it down against her skin. Her cardigan, once impeccable in its soft white fold on her delicate shoulders, had slipped into the muck entirely, lifeless and drenched. Her Keds were buried in — or maybe now a part of—the soggy ground. Mud streaked her legs and clung to her hair in a way that neither of them could have ever predicted when they left school.

Struggling to hold onto any semblance of dignity, Mary spoke first. “Chad! I… we… We were just trying to take a shortcut!” She tried to sound nonchalant, but her voice came out shaky and on the verge of panic as she adjusted herself to stand. Graceful as ever, she tried to rise from the mud with poise, lifting one mud-caked hand to dust off her shorts—to no avail. The mud only smeared further into the fabric. "It was this stupid trail!" she added quickly, her voice dripping with frustration.

Beside her, Becky attempted to stand as well, but the thick muck sucked at her feet, and as she pulled one shoe free, she winced as the dreadful squelching sound filled the air. "Ughhhh…" she groaned miserably, her face contorting in embarrassment as she struggled to find any balance. She, too, tried to brush herself off, but each swipe of her hand only seemed to make the dirt worse. Dirt streaked her sundress and arms, and she could already feel how ruined her hair must look.

Chad, watching their awkward attempts to regain composure, struggled to suppress a grin. "Looks like you guys had a bit of a fall," he teased, folding his arms and looking at them both with open amusement.

Becky’s face flushed with embarrassment, and she quickly shot a glance at Mary, as if trying to place the blame anywhere other than on herself. "This is all her fault!" she exclaimed, pointing a muddy finger toward Mary. "She’s the one who insisted we take the stupid shortcut! I knew it was a bad idea!"

Mary’s eyes widened at Becky’s accusation, her face flushing in anger. "Oh please!" she spat back, standing tall now despite bits of leaf sticking in her hair. "If YOU hadn’t stepped onto the board behind me so fast, it wouldn’t have broken!"

Becky gasped, her fists clenching at her sides—an impressive feat given how caked they were in mud. "Seriously, Mary? I stepped carefully! It was your wobbling and—your big shoes that did it!"

"My shoes?! Are you kidding me?!" Mary’s face contorted in offended disbelief, glancing down with a mixture of desperation and fury at the ruined Tretorns, once the jewel of her outfit. "Right—because your shoes magically don’t weigh a thing!"

Chad looked between the two as they went back and forth, biting the inside of his cheek to suppress a chuckle. "Hey, hey, woah," he interjected, stepping closer. "Not to break up this beautiful friendship moment, but maybe don’t fight… in the mud?" He shot them both a dry look. "It’s not really helping your outfits."

Mary shot a glare back at Becky but sighed, her hands dropping to her hips as she lifted one muddy foot awkwardly from the trench, wincing at the sight of her clothes. "We're ruined," she muttered bitterly, louder now, as if pleading for some sympathy from Chad. "I just bought this polo! And my Tretorns… ugh, they’re never going to come clean."

Becky, still fuming from the spat, looked down at her own dress and choked back a groan. The once-dainty sundress now clung to her like a soggy dish rag—filthy and beyond repair. "I look like a contestant on that survivor show," she griped, running a hand through her mud-streaked hair as if to salvage something—anything—of her appearance.

Chad, ever the good-natured sport, decided to finally step in. "Alright, alright," he said, trying hard not to fully laugh, even though he was clearly enjoying the spectacle. "Let’s just get you guys inside and cleaned up. I'll lend you something to wear and…"

"Something to wear?!" Becky blurted in horror, momentarily pausing in getting out of the pit. "Chad, we’re not about to wear guy clothes!" Her voice hitched in alarm at the idea.

Mary, echoing Becky’s feelings, grimaced deeply at the thought too. A pair of basketball shorts and an oversized T-shirt were so far from the polished, preppy image she’d left her house in that morning. "Seriously, Chad? Don’t you have towels or anything?" she pleaded desperately.

With a resigned grunt, both girls finally wrenched themselves fully from the mud, their feet making awful squelching sounds as they did so. They stood awkwardly at the edge of the trench, covered in mud from head to toe, their once-gorgeous outfits—and any hopes of looking cute for Chad—completely shattered. The cool air seemed to make the mud even heavier as it clung to their once pristine ensembles, and both girls stood like two soggy, muddy monuments of ruined preppiness.

Chad just shook his head, clearly trying to contain more laughter as he stifled the amusement in his voice. "Okay, okay, towels it is! But c’mon, you two. Let’s get you cleaned up before you scare the neighbors."

Mary sighed dramatically, giving Becky one last pointed glare before both girls trudged behind Chad towards the house. Their ruined outfits, their filthy shoes, the dried-on mud—everything seemed to weigh on them much more heavily than just their fashion emergency. But one thing was certain: neither would live this moment down anytime soon.
Describe Mary walking and with each step her Tretorns expelling muddy water from the vent holes on the sides and how disgusted she was. Also the gross feeling that Becky felt with muddy water sloshing around in her once pristine Keds. Keds that were being worn for the first time that day.

Describe Mary calling her mom complaining about the incident. Describe her retelling their decision to cut through the woods and how they fell in the mud in her whiny tone. Describe her mother's amused reaction.

Describe Becky calling her mom complaining about the incident. Describe her retelling their decision to cut through the woods and how they fell in the mud in her whiny tone. Describe her mother's amused reaction.

Back
Top Bottom