As Julie bemoaned her wet feet and soggy socks inside her poor Keds, the football game continued.

The guys offered the two girls drinks from their cooler pointing to the nearby picnic shelter. Beth thought that some water would be good and headed over as Julie stared forlornly at her soaked tennies.

Beth heard some eruption of noise from the game and looked over her shoulder to see what was going on. Nothing much to see in the game but what she didn’t see while she continued to walk was that someone had left the hose running resulting in a section of ground basically liquefied- all under a seemingly innocuous area of grass. Still walking at full stride but looking over her shoulder, she stepped right into the invisible swamp past her ankles. Worse yet, the area was slippery and her Tretorns slide right out from underneath and her landing on her back side in the mud.

Describe her scream and reaction to the fall. Mud all over. Shoes ruined. Despite Julie’s reaction.
As Beth strode toward the picnic shelter, she glanced over her shoulder at the ongoing football game, still half-listening to Julie's bemoaning of her ruined Keds and soggy socks. The guys' laughter and cheers echoed in the cool autumn air, and for a moment, Beth found herself caught up in the fun vibe, watching Missy bait one of the guys into running a terrible route.

But what Beth didn't see—couldn’t see—was the trap lying just ahead: a patch of seemingly normal grass that had been transformed into an ankle-deep quagmire thanks to a hose someone had carelessly left running near the shelter.

As she turned back to face forward while walking full stride, the ground beneath her looked innocent enough, but the second she placed her weight on the grass, there was no solid ground to meet her. Instead, there was a cold, wet squelch as her first foot sank deep into mud, straight past her ankle. The next thing she knew, her other foot slipped, sending her Tretorns skidding out from under her like they were skating on ice.

Beth couldn’t even process what was happening before gravity took over.

"AHHHH!" she shrieked uncontrollably, her voice reaching a pitch of pure surprise and horror as both her feet flew out from under her and she tumbled backward. There was no graceful recovery. She landed hard on her backside with a heavy, wet thud.

For a second, time stood still as she sat in the sludgy mess, the cold, soaked mud seeping through her jeans and splattering up her white sweatshirt. She felt the disgusting, slippery cold work its way onto her pristine sneakers—her beloved all-white Tretorns now fully covered in wet, slimy brown muck. Waterlogged grass clung to her as if nature itself had turned on her for daring to step out in stylish preppy whites. The wind felt even cooler against her now-muddy limbs.

Her hands, bracing herself in the mud, were caked, fingers half-buried in the damp mush. The back of her sweatshirt was soaked through, her jeans stuck to her legs, and the entire world felt like it was closing in on the enormity of her fall. For a beat, she just sat there, too stunned to fully comprehend the disaster.

"NO. No. No. No," Beth muttered, each repetition becoming increasingly disbelieving. She pushed herself upright with a sickening squelch, trying to wipe her hands on what little clean real estate she thought might remain on her jeans—only to realize they were no better. There was mud everywhere. Everywhere.

The murmur of laughter from the football game suddenly broke through her haze, and Beth turned to see the guys glancing her way, some of them trying—and failing—to suppress grins. A few gave halfhearted, apologetic winces, clearly not wanting to embarrass her while others called over, “You good, Beth?” with genuine concern. Missy, always the instigator, waved a victorious hand in the air.

"Nice save, Beth!" Missy shouted, unable to hide her amusement.

Beth groaned, trying not to die inside as she shifted her feet, immediately realizing just how far gone her Tretorns were. One foot squished loudly in the mud while the other half-sank again as she tried to stand. She was practically doomed.

From the sidelines, Julie—still sulking at her own footwear fiasco—looked on with wide eyes before bursting into uncontrollable laughter. It was a chaotic, out-of-control cackle that doubled her over despite the sympathy she actually felt deep down. Tears streaked the corners of her eyes as she tried to choke out a response.

"Oh my God, Beth!" Julie gasped between laughs, doubling over and clutching her stomach. "I told you... about... the shoes!"

Beth turned toward her through the laughter, dropping her hands in utter resignation. "WHY?!" she wailed in mock-dramatic agony, flopping her arms outward, finding no dry place to wipe them.

Julie was still laughing so hard she could barely speak. Through gasps of breath, she managed, “We look like complete disasters.”

"I was supposed to just get water!" Beth groaned, giving her drenched Tretorns a mournful once-over. The white sneakers were unrecognizable, completely coated in dark brown slurry, the once-clean white stripe now smeared and blending into the muck. She lifted one foot as if waiting for the universe to miraculously clean it with a snap. When no such cleaning miracle occurred, she resigned herself to hopelessness.

Slowly accepting her fate, Beth finally stood up, wincing as her shoes made an awful suction sound as they pulled free from the sinkhole beneath. The stickiness of the mud on her legs made every movement feel heavier. She winced again when she felt the cool, wet sensation trickling into her socks.

"I could feel my shoes slide right off the earth!" Beth groaned again, wiping her face, only to realize she was smearing more mud across her cheek in the process. Julie, still beside herself, mustered a few deep breaths to respond.

"I’m so sorry!” Julie managed, although the sound of her voice was still filled with amusement. “But seriously... welcome to the club!" She gestured helplessly to her own, previously ruined Keds.

Beth gave her a glare, her lip curling slightly, but the dramatically pitiful expression quickly morphed into a fit of giggles. The whole situation was absurd. Here were the two of them, self-proclaimed preppy queens of the afternoon—a pair of once-white sneakers between them now completely obliterated by mud.

Beth’s giggle bubble broke into full-fledged laughter as she dramatically held her arms out to inspect herself. "We are literal [*swamp monsters*], Julie!" She looked over at her friend, who was still shaking with laughter.

Julie nodded and wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. "You’re one step from being a mud wrestler at this rate,” she joked.

Despite her constantly soggier state, Beth gave an exaggerated pose—arms out to her side, still standing helplessly in the muddy aftermath—and laughed along. “Who needs a football game when we’ve got this level of sophistication?”

They caught their breath, their joy over the ridiculousness of it all taking over. Beth wiped her face as much as she could, tossing her hands in the air and nudging Julie lightly. "I hate to say it, but I think your Keds fared better than my Tretorns."

Julie giggled. “Oh, they’re ruined, but at least now I’ve got company. Think we can pull off ‘mud chic’ as a new trend?”

Beth threw her hands up, smirking. “Only if we have no choice.”

“Well, Beth,” Julie said teasingly, “you wanted water. Looks like you got something close enough.”

Beth mock-glared at her best friend, her clothes heavy with mud, but she couldn’t help laughing again before brushing off (no pun intended) her disaster and throwing her arm around Julie’s shoulders. "Come on, let’s get that drink. We’ve earned it."

Together, still laughing, they trailed back toward the shelter—ruined shoes and all—because, in the end, days like this were made better with friends and a sense of humor, even if it came at the price of their perfectly polished preppy outfits.

As Beth strode toward the picnic shelter, she glanced over her shoulder at the ongoing football game, still half-listening to Julie's bemoaning of her ruined Keds and soggy socks. The guys' laughter and cheers echoed in the cool autumn air, and for a moment, Beth found herself caught up in the fun vibe, watching Missy bait one of the guys into running a terrible route.

But what Beth didn't see—couldn’t see—was the trap lying just ahead: a patch of seemingly normal grass that had been transformed into an ankle-deep quagmire thanks to a hose someone had carelessly left running near the shelter.

As she turned back to face forward while walking full stride, the ground beneath her looked innocent enough, but the second she placed her weight on the grass, there was no solid ground to meet her. Instead, there was a cold, wet squelch as her first foot sank deep into mud, straight past her ankle. The next thing she knew, her other foot slipped, sending her Tretorns skidding out from under her like they were skating on ice.

Beth couldn’t even process what was happening before gravity took over.

"AHHHH!" she shrieked uncontrollably, her voice reaching a pitch of pure surprise and horror as both her feet flew out from under her and she tumbled backward. There was no graceful recovery. She landed hard on her backside with a heavy, wet thud.

For a second, time stood still as she sat in the sludgy mess, the cold, soaked mud seeping through her jeans and splattering up her white sweatshirt. She felt the disgusting, slippery cold work its way onto her pristine sneakers—her beloved all-white Tretorns now fully covered in wet, slimy brown muck. Waterlogged grass clung to her as if nature itself had turned on her for daring to step out in stylish preppy whites. The wind felt even cooler against her now-muddy limbs.

Her hands, bracing herself in the mud, were caked, fingers half-buried in the damp mush. The back of her sweatshirt was soaked through, her jeans stuck to her legs, and the entire world felt like it was closing in on the enormity of her fall. For a beat, she just sat there, too stunned to fully comprehend the disaster.

"NO. No. No. No," Beth muttered, each repetition becoming increasingly disbelieving. She pushed herself upright with a sickening squelch, trying to wipe her hands on what little clean real estate she thought might remain on her jeans—only to realize they were no better. There was mud everywhere. Everywhere.

The murmur of laughter from the football game suddenly broke through her haze, and Beth turned to see the guys glancing her way, some of them trying—and failing—to suppress grins. A few gave halfhearted, apologetic winces, clearly not wanting to embarrass her while others called over, “You good, Beth?” with genuine concern. Missy, always the instigator, waved a victorious hand in the air.

"Nice save, Beth!" Missy shouted, unable to hide her amusement.

Beth groaned, trying not to die inside as she shifted her feet, immediately realizing just how far gone her Tretorns were. One foot squished loudly in the mud while the other half-sank again as she tried to stand. She was practically doomed.

From the sidelines, Julie—still sulking at her own footwear fiasco—looked on with wide eyes before bursting into uncontrollable laughter. It was a chaotic, out-of-control cackle that doubled her over despite the sympathy she actually felt deep down. Tears streaked the corners of her eyes as she tried to choke out a response.

"Oh my God, Beth!" Julie gasped between laughs, doubling over and clutching her stomach. "I told you... about... the shoes!"

Beth turned toward her through the laughter, dropping her hands in utter resignation. "WHY?!" she wailed in mock-dramatic agony, flopping her arms outward, finding no dry place to wipe them.

Julie was still laughing so hard she could barely speak. Through gasps of breath, she managed, “We look like complete disasters.”

"I was supposed to just get water!" Beth groaned, giving her drenched Tretorns a mournful once-over. The white sneakers were unrecognizable, completely coated in dark brown slurry, the once-clean white stripe now smeared and blending into the muck. She lifted one foot as if waiting for the universe to miraculously clean it with a snap. When no such cleaning miracle occurred, she resigned herself to hopelessness.

Slowly accepting her fate, Beth finally stood up, wincing as her shoes made an awful suction sound as they pulled free from the sinkhole beneath. The stickiness of the mud on her legs made every movement feel heavier. She winced again when she felt the cool, wet sensation trickling into her socks.

"I could feel my shoes slide right off the earth!" Beth groaned again, wiping her face, only to realize she was smearing more mud across her cheek in the process. Julie, still beside herself, mustered a few deep breaths to respond.

"I’m so sorry!” Julie managed, although the sound of her voice was still filled with amusement. “But seriously... welcome to the club!" She gestured helplessly to her own, previously ruined Keds.

Beth gave her a glare, her lip curling slightly, but the dramatically pitiful expression quickly morphed into a fit of giggles. The whole situation was absurd. Here were the two of them, self-proclaimed preppy queens of the afternoon—a pair of once-white sneakers between them now completely obliterated by mud.

Beth’s giggle bubble broke into full-fledged laughter as she dramatically held her arms out to inspect herself. "We are literal [*swamp monsters*], Julie!" She looked over at her friend, who was still shaking with laughter.

Julie nodded and wiped a tear from the corner of her eye. "You’re one step from being a mud wrestler at this rate,” she joked.

Despite her constantly soggier state, Beth gave an exaggerated pose—arms out to her side, still standing helplessly in the muddy aftermath—and laughed along. “Who needs a football game when we’ve got this level of sophistication?”

They caught their breath, their joy over the ridiculousness of it all taking over. Beth wiped her face as much as she could, tossing her hands in the air and nudging Julie lightly. "I hate to say it, but I think your Keds fared better than my Tretorns."

Julie giggled. “Oh, they’re ruined, but at least now I’ve got company. Think we can pull off ‘mud chic’ as a new trend?”

Beth threw her hands up, smirking. “Only if we have no choice.”

“Well, Beth,” Julie said teasingly, “you wanted water. Looks like you got something close enough.”

Beth mock-glared at her best friend, her clothes heavy with mud, but she couldn’t help laughing again before brushing off (no pun intended) her disaster and throwing her arm around Julie’s shoulders. "Come on, let’s get that drink. We’ve earned it."

Together, still laughing, they trailed back toward the shelter—ruined shoes and all—because, in the end, days like this were made better with friends and a sense of humor, even if it came at the price of their perfectly polished preppy outfits.
Describe Beth calling a friend later whining about what happened only to receive laughter in return. Describe that conversation and Beth asking why she thought it was so funny.

Describe Beth calling a friend later whining about what happened only to receive laughter in return. Describe that conversation and Beth asking why she thought it was so funny.
Later that evening, after managing to drag herself home and clean up the disaster of her afternoon, Beth sat on her bed wrapped in a soft robe, freshly showered but still haunted by the memory of her muddy downfall. Her once-pristine white Tretorns were now sitting by the door, covered in drying mud, broken shadows of their former glory.

It all felt so ridiculous, and yet, she couldn't shake the mix of embarrassment and frustration. Who even does that, she thought to herself—ruins an entire outfit by simply walking to get water? After an internal debate, she grabbed her phone and dialed Erica, one of her longtime friends who always had a way of making her feel better (or at least providing sympathy when required).

The line rang twice before Erica’s familiar, cheerful voice picked up.

"Hello, hello? What’s up?"

Beth let out a huge sigh, already prepping for the sympathy she was seeking. “Erica,” she groaned loudly, dragging her name out for emphasis. “You will not believe the day I just had.”

Erica chuckled lightly on the other end. “I take it things did not go as planned? Spill, what happened?”

Beth, not needing much encouragement, launched into the full saga, relaying every detail with increasing dramatic flair—the immaculate white Tretorns, how she and Julie had stayed on the sidelines, the football game with the guys, and then the fall. She described the innocent-looking patch of grass, the disastrous, embarrassing slip, and the sheer mortification of realizing she was not only soaked but utterly caked in thick mud from head to toe.

"And then..." Beth continued, clearly building, "I stand up, thinking that’s the worst of it, right? But no. EVERYONE—Julie, the guys playing, even Missy—they all saw! And Julie, who just ruined her own shoes five minutes earlier, was crying from laughing so hard. Like, I was the punchline of some cosmic joke,” Beth groaned dramatically, flopping back onto her pillows.

There was a beat of silence on the other line.

And then, as if it had simply been building up with nowhere to go, Erica started laughing. It started as a stifled giggle and then quickly spilled out in full-blown, unfiltered hysterics.

Beth blinked, stunned. "You’re laughing?! Seriously?!"

Erica’s attempts to regain composure failed miserably as she continued to laugh. “I’m—oh my God," she choked out between gasps. "I’m really trying not to, but—oh, Beth. I can just picture you fuming with mud all over your white shoes!” Another peal of uncontrollable giggles followed.

Beth sat up, half-offended, half-amused. “Why is this so funny to you?!” she demanded, waving her free hand around even though Erica couldn’t see. “I literally fell straight into the mud! My Tretorns are dead. It was a fashion catastrophe, pure and simple.”

Still laughing, Erica tried to form a coherent sentence. “I’m sorry!” she wheezed, “But—Beth—you... spend like... your whole life avoiding dirt! You barely let people step close to your shoes, and now, this happens? It’s like the universe plotted against you!”

Beth, unable to suppress a growing smile, rolled her eyes even though Erica couldn’t see. “So you think the universe just looked at me today and said, ‘You know what? She’s walking around too clean, let’s destroy her shoes?’”

Erica snorted, her laugh almost impossible to control now. “Exactly! It’s like fate saw an opening and said, ‘Wait, she’s too put together—let’s show her what mud feels like.’”

Despite herself, Beth began giggling. “I mean, I do have a strict no-mud policy, which clearly no one respects.”

Erica’s laughter dwindled slightly, just enough for her to catch her breath. “It’s just—you’re one of the neatest, most put-together people I know, Beth. And then BAM! Ankle-deep in mud?” She erupted in giggles again. “I’m never going to get over that visual.”

Beth sighed, shaking her head. “You’re really supposed to be comforting me right now.”

Erica exhaled, wiping away virtual tears. "Sorry, sorry. Consider this my therapy through schadenfreude.”

Beth sighed in faux exasperation, but her smile lingered now. Despite being the brunt of the joke, Erica’s lightheartedness was helping cut through the sting of the embarrassment.

“Well," Beth said, her tone slightly lighter now that Erica’s laughter had infected her, "while you’re laughing at my suffering, let me remind you that I’m out seventy bucks for new shoes. Those Tretorns are ruined forever.”

Erica finally calmed down enough to respond. “Okay, that part sucks. I’ll give you that,” she said, her voice still tinged with amusement. “But look at the bright side—you now have a great ‘tragic fashion fail’ story to tell for the rest of your life. You live for stories like that.”

Beth giggled without meaning to. "Okay, fine," she admitted, adjusting her pillow behind her. "It will be a great story at parties... once I recover from my emotional scars."

Erica snickered. "Oh, the scars of fashion devastation, I see."

Beth rolled her eyes but couldn't contain her growing laughter. "Well, if you weren’t laughing so hard, maybe I’d tell it differently. But fine—you win. It was... sort of funny. In a cruel, traumatic sort of way."

Erica chuckled warmly. “There you go—just embrace it. Your dignity will recover. And next time, maybe—just maybe—don’t wear pristine white shoes to a football game.”

Beth laughed fully now. “Okay, lesson learned. At least next time I’ll be ready if the universe strikes again.”

Erica’s teasing voice came through clear, still brimming with affectionate amusement. “You better be. I’m counting on another great story. But for now… I’ll let you grieve your poor Tretorns.”

Beth shook her head as the last hints of laughter escaped her. “You’re the worst, Erica.”

“I know,” Erica replied, mockingly dramatic. “But you’ll thank me later.”

Beth smiled, feeling considerably lighter despite everything that had happened. "All right, fine. But seriously… I loved those sneakers.”

Erica’s responding tone softened slightly. “Don’t worry, Beth. I’ve no doubt you’ll find another pair to fall in love with—and maybe avoid the next mud patch.”

Beth chuckled. "Yeah, maybe."

After hanging up the phone, Beth set it aside and stared at her poor, ruined shoes near the door. Somehow, Erica’s laughter and the absurdity of the whole day had dulled the sting of her fashion disaster.

“At least," she thought to herself, finding humor in the situation, "I survived the universe’s mud trap."

With that, she leaned back into her pillows and, despite it all, smiled.

Later that evening, after managing to drag herself home and clean up the disaster of her afternoon, Beth sat on her bed wrapped in a soft robe, freshly showered but still haunted by the memory of her muddy downfall. Her once-pristine white Tretorns were now sitting by the door, covered in drying mud, broken shadows of their former glory.

It all felt so ridiculous, and yet, she couldn't shake the mix of embarrassment and frustration. Who even does that, she thought to herself—ruins an entire outfit by simply walking to get water? After an internal debate, she grabbed her phone and dialed Erica, one of her longtime friends who always had a way of making her feel better (or at least providing sympathy when required).

The line rang twice before Erica’s familiar, cheerful voice picked up.

"Hello, hello? What’s up?"

Beth let out a huge sigh, already prepping for the sympathy she was seeking. “Erica,” she groaned loudly, dragging her name out for emphasis. “You will not believe the day I just had.”

Erica chuckled lightly on the other end. “I take it things did not go as planned? Spill, what happened?”

Beth, not needing much encouragement, launched into the full saga, relaying every detail with increasing dramatic flair—the immaculate white Tretorns, how she and Julie had stayed on the sidelines, the football game with the guys, and then the fall. She described the innocent-looking patch of grass, the disastrous, embarrassing slip, and the sheer mortification of realizing she was not only soaked but utterly caked in thick mud from head to toe.

"And then..." Beth continued, clearly building, "I stand up, thinking that’s the worst of it, right? But no. EVERYONE—Julie, the guys playing, even Missy—they all saw! And Julie, who just ruined her own shoes five minutes earlier, was crying from laughing so hard. Like, I was the punchline of some cosmic joke,” Beth groaned dramatically, flopping back onto her pillows.

There was a beat of silence on the other line.

And then, as if it had simply been building up with nowhere to go, Erica started laughing. It started as a stifled giggle and then quickly spilled out in full-blown, unfiltered hysterics.

Beth blinked, stunned. "You’re laughing?! Seriously?!"

Erica’s attempts to regain composure failed miserably as she continued to laugh. “I’m—oh my God," she choked out between gasps. "I’m really trying not to, but—oh, Beth. I can just picture you fuming with mud all over your white shoes!” Another peal of uncontrollable giggles followed.

Beth sat up, half-offended, half-amused. “Why is this so funny to you?!” she demanded, waving her free hand around even though Erica couldn’t see. “I literally fell straight into the mud! My Tretorns are dead. It was a fashion catastrophe, pure and simple.”

Still laughing, Erica tried to form a coherent sentence. “I’m sorry!” she wheezed, “But—Beth—you... spend like... your whole life avoiding dirt! You barely let people step close to your shoes, and now, this happens? It’s like the universe plotted against you!”

Beth, unable to suppress a growing smile, rolled her eyes even though Erica couldn’t see. “So you think the universe just looked at me today and said, ‘You know what? She’s walking around too clean, let’s destroy her shoes?’”

Erica snorted, her laugh almost impossible to control now. “Exactly! It’s like fate saw an opening and said, ‘Wait, she’s too put together—let’s show her what mud feels like.’”

Despite herself, Beth began giggling. “I mean, I do have a strict no-mud policy, which clearly no one respects.”

Erica’s laughter dwindled slightly, just enough for her to catch her breath. “It’s just—you’re one of the neatest, most put-together people I know, Beth. And then BAM! Ankle-deep in mud?” She erupted in giggles again. “I’m never going to get over that visual.”

Beth sighed, shaking her head. “You’re really supposed to be comforting me right now.”

Erica exhaled, wiping away virtual tears. "Sorry, sorry. Consider this my therapy through schadenfreude.”

Beth sighed in faux exasperation, but her smile lingered now. Despite being the brunt of the joke, Erica’s lightheartedness was helping cut through the sting of the embarrassment.

“Well," Beth said, her tone slightly lighter now that Erica’s laughter had infected her, "while you’re laughing at my suffering, let me remind you that I’m out seventy bucks for new shoes. Those Tretorns are ruined forever.”

Erica finally calmed down enough to respond. “Okay, that part sucks. I’ll give you that,” she said, her voice still tinged with amusement. “But look at the bright side—you now have a great ‘tragic fashion fail’ story to tell for the rest of your life. You live for stories like that.”

Beth giggled without meaning to. "Okay, fine," she admitted, adjusting her pillow behind her. "It will be a great story at parties... once I recover from my emotional scars."

Erica snickered. "Oh, the scars of fashion devastation, I see."

Beth rolled her eyes but couldn't contain her growing laughter. "Well, if you weren’t laughing so hard, maybe I’d tell it differently. But fine—you win. It was... sort of funny. In a cruel, traumatic sort of way."

Erica chuckled warmly. “There you go—just embrace it. Your dignity will recover. And next time, maybe—just maybe—don’t wear pristine white shoes to a football game.”

Beth laughed fully now. “Okay, lesson learned. At least next time I’ll be ready if the universe strikes again.”

Erica’s teasing voice came through clear, still brimming with affectionate amusement. “You better be. I’m counting on another great story. But for now… I’ll let you grieve your poor Tretorns.”

Beth shook her head as the last hints of laughter escaped her. “You’re the worst, Erica.”

“I know,” Erica replied, mockingly dramatic. “But you’ll thank me later.”

Beth smiled, feeling considerably lighter despite everything that had happened. "All right, fine. But seriously… I loved those sneakers.”

Erica’s responding tone softened slightly. “Don’t worry, Beth. I’ve no doubt you’ll find another pair to fall in love with—and maybe avoid the next mud patch.”

Beth chuckled. "Yeah, maybe."

After hanging up the phone, Beth set it aside and stared at her poor, ruined shoes near the door. Somehow, Erica’s laughter and the absurdity of the whole day had dulled the sting of her fashion disaster.

“At least," she thought to herself, finding humor in the situation, "I survived the universe’s mud trap."

With that, she leaned back into her pillows and, despite it all, smiled.
Beth asks Erica, “Okay, you know me well. Tell me how you picture all of this going down. From when I was getting ready through me sitting in the mud. What are your images of my day and mindset throughout? And what did you mean by schadenfreude?”

Beth asks Erica, “Okay, you know me well. Tell me how you picture all of this going down. From when I was getting ready through me sitting in the mud. What are your images of my day and mindset throughout? And what did you mean by schadenfreude?”
Beth, now feeling a little lighter after sharing the embarrassing disaster with Erica, decided she wasn’t quite done yet. There was something about hearing how Erica would describe the entire debacle that might either shed some light or produce more laughs. So with the phone still in her hand, she smirked and leaned back into her pillows.

“Okay, Erica, you know me well. Think of it like this: I’m giving you permission to narrate [*my*] story. How do you picture everything going down today—from when I was getting ready this morning, all the way to me sitting in the mud? You’re clearly loving this, so go ahead—for [*comedic purposes,*] explain my mindset throughout.”

Erica laughed, her voice still carrying the lighthearted energy from their earlier conversation. “Oh, you want a [*recap*] of your humiliating defeat by the mud gods? Fine. Let’s set the scene…” Beth could practically hear her friend sit up a little straighter as she took a breath, clearly enjoying this.

“So, it all starts with you, Beth… The queen of preppy chic, the consummate perfectionist, standing in your dorm this morning in front of the mirror. You woke up with no idea what lay ahead—just an innocent Saturday, right? You’re probably humming, brushing your hair, debating which sweater perfectly matches your vibe for the day.”

Beth laughed. “How do you know I was humming? That’s suspiciously accurate.”

“It’s a gift," Erica retorted playfully. "Anyway, you go through your wardrobe and you’re like, ‘Something casual but cute.’ Obviously, you reach for the college sweatshirt—I mean, it’s a Saturday, right? Plus, it’s fall. It’s crisp out. You’ve gotta look like you stepped out of a 1980s romantic comedy. Then—bang—perfect pair of high-waisted jeans, and of course, the pièce de résistance...”

“The Tretorns,” Beth sighed mournfully.

“Yes, the Tretorns,” Erica echoed dramatically. “Fresh, crisp, clean white Tretorns. You lace them up, staring at your reflection in admiration like: ‘Yep. Today, I look [*good*].’ Maybe snap a mental photo for later—who knows?” Beth let out a giggle, and Erica continued, getting more into it.

“So, you head over to meet Julie and Missy at the park. You’ve got this perfect ‘casual, but chic’ thing going on. You’re ready to look cute on the sidelines, hang out, maybe wave at Brian from afar as he throws a football like some all-American dreamboat,” Erica paused dramatically, “but that’s not what the universe has planned for you, is it?”

Beth covered her face with one hand, laughing through the memory as Erica carried on.

“So, there you are on the sidelines. You and Julie are hanging out, looking like preppy queens, while Missy’s over there being Missy—destroying the game in her sweatpants—and things are fine. You guys are chatting. But you [*also*] have one mission: protect those white Tretorns. No dirt, no chaos, none of that. Right?”

Beth snickered, nodding even though Erica couldn’t see her. “Exactly. That was the plan.”

Erica’s voice took on a conspiratorially amused tone. “But then, the football flies off into another planet. And Julie—bless her heart, she volunteers, like the good friend she is. Poor thing didn’t even know she was about to ruin her own Keds! You probably had a smug little moment there—like, ‘Ah yes, my shoes are still safe,’ am I right?”

Beth groaned, both laughing and cringing. “I can't lie. I totally did.”

“Of course you did!” Erica replied, now fully into it. “And as Julie gets stuck in the mud with her Keds, you have your little victory being all mud-free and pristine. Classic. Cut to a few minutes later—the ‘I just need to grab water’ bit—and that’s where it happens." Her voice grew mischievous. "Fate comes for you."

"You’re walking along, head held high, still in your perfect preppy bubble. You hear chaos from the game, you glance over your shoulder to check it out, feeling a little superior in your sideline coolness. But while you’re looking behind—what happens? You step into the pit of despair.”

Beth burst into laughter, her eyes watering at how Erica was recounting the whole thing. “Oh my God, stop! It wasn't that dramatic!"

“Oh no, Beth," Erica retorted. “It was! There you were, carefree, still thinking you’re sticking the landing, still thinking you’re in control. And then, without warning, the ground—where you once saw safety, innocent grass—betrays you! You sink, your ankles disappear, and boom—your shoes? Ruined. In an instant.”

Beth cringed, but she was grinning uncontrollably, completely entertained by Erica’s vision of events.

“And then,” Erica said, drawing out the words dramatically, “that moment where it hits you—you feel it happen, and you go down. Not just a little stumble either, Beth. No, you went down. Full backside plunge into the mud like a slow-motion movie scene. I picture your scream kind of shrill but with a touch of horror—as if you were falling in the final battle scene of an action movie.”

Beth was nearly choking with laughter now. “Erica, seriously, it was more like a yelp, thank you very much.”

Erica snorted. “Sure, sure. If you say so. Anyway—there you are, a fallen fashion warrior, sitting in the mud, looking down at your shoes. You probably had a moment of denial, right? Like, ‘No, this can’t be happening. Not the Tretorns. Anything but the Tretorns!’”

Beth wiped a tear from her eyes, her stomach hurting from laughing so hard.

“And then,” Erica said, her tone growing more conspiratorial, “The moment of realization: You look down and your once-beautiful white shoes… they’ve gone into the void. Dead. Goners. Not even Julie's ruined Keds come close to the tragedy you’re facing. You probably even tried to step out of the mud with some half-hearted dignity, but nope, it’s all squelch and mess now.”

Beth let out an exaggerated sigh, looking mournfully at the mud-caked shoes by her door. “You know, you’re not wrong exactly…”

“I’m never wrong,” Erica chimed with a laugh. “So now, you’re sitting in the mud. You just have to let go, face the laughter coming at you from all sides. Maybe you even heard Julie’s cackling in the distance; Missy probably gave you a thumbs-up from the game. Meanwhile, you’re sitting there thinking, ‘Well... guess this is my life now.’”

Beth snorted. “Honestly, I think I did accept my fate while sitting there. But yeah, that was the lowest point.”

“Beth, I swear I can see it all clearly in my head,” Erica said, still giggling. “The preppy aesthetic destroyed by nature. All because you turned your head at the wrong moment.”

Beth groaned, though she was smiling. “And what did you say earlier… ‘Schadenfreude’? You said this whole thing was therapy through schadenfreude.”

Erica immediately started laughing again. “Oh right, Schadenfreude! It’s a German word that means ‘pleasure derived by someone from another person’s misfortune.’ Basically, I’m getting endless entertainment out of your miserable, muddy tragedy. But, you know, in a supportive way.” Her laugh rang through the phone, full of warmth despite the teasing.

“I knew it,” Beth said with a mock gasp. “You’ve been laughing at my pain all along!”

Erica tried to sound serious but failed miserably. “It wasn’t all just schadenfreude. I mean, we both know I love you, but come on, Beth. I think you're the last person I'd ever imagine sitting ankle-deep in mud with stained sneakers.”

Beth grinned. “All right, I guess I can give you that one.”

Erica laughed. “Glad you see it my way. But hey—on the plus side, you lived through it, and you’re gonna have the best story at every future preppy gathering.”

Beth shook her head, finally defeated by Erica’s enthusiasm. “True. I’ll give people a reason not to look too perfect or fate will destroy you with mud traps.”

Erica snickered. “That should go on a motivational office poster.”

Beth chuckled and rolled her eyes, finally feeling relaxed despite the day’s disaster. “You’re unbelievable.”

“I know—you're welcome,” Erica sang, clearly enjoying herself a little too much.

Beth reclined back fully on her pillows, smiling now as she mulled over the absurdity of the day. Despite it all—despite the fall, the dirt, the shattered pride—Erica’s narration and humor had been exactly what she needed.

Back
Top Bottom