Diane calls Margaret back later and asks, "Obviously you know me well. Do you have an image in your mind as to how this all unfolded from my outfit choice to me crawling out of the mud?" Describe Margaret's response in detail.
Later in the evening, Diane is still simmering in the aftermath of the day’s disaster. She’s cleaned herself up—mostly. Her Keds are in a bag by the door, hopelessly caked in layers of dried mud, and her once-pristine outfit is now soaking in a laundry sink, but her ego… well, that’s still sloshing in the proverbial mud. The irritation hasn’t faded, and as much as Margaret’s laughter had grated on her earlier, there’s no denying that her down-to-earth, no-nonsense sister is the only one she needs right now to fully process this humiliation.

She takes a deep breath, picking up her phone and reluctantly hitting redial. Margaret answers almost immediately, her tone still innocently cheerful.

"Oh, back for round two, Commissioner?" There's a mocking lilt to Margaret's voice already. Diane sighs but goes straight to the point.

"Margaret," Diane begins, trying to stay calm but letting a note of frustration slip through. "Obviously, you know me well… Can I assume that you’ve already got a fully-formed image of this... situation in your mind—the outfit disaster, the mud, all of it? I just... want to hear your version."

There’s a beat of utter silence on the other end, but Diane can tell Margaret is trying to suppress her amusement. Hell, she can practically hear her sister’s grin.

"Oh, Diane," Margaret finally says with the sort of relish that only comes from decades of sibling rivalry turned mutual affection. "Do I ever. Want me to walk you through it?"

Diane reluctantly mumbles, "Go on," already sensing she’s going to regret this.

Margaret clears her throat theatrically, clearly gearing up. "Okay, so let me paint this picture. You wake up this morning, probably spent a solid 15 minutes staring into your closet trying to decide what exactly says ‘I’m capable and professional’ but also ‘relatable.’ You land on," she pauses for effect, "the crisp white Ralph Lauren blouse—you love that thing—paired with tailored khaki slacks, fully convinced this was the perfect ‘polished but approachable commissioner’ look even though it’s a construction site."

Diane rolls her eyes but says nothing. She can practically see the smirk on her sister’s face through the phone.

Margaret continues, "And of course, you top it off with your brand-spanking-new white Keds. Canvas, naturally, because nothing screams practicality quite like white sneakers around mud, dirt, and heavy machinery, right?"

Diane groans. "It wasn’t supposed to be a muddy construction site, Margaret."

"Keep telling yourself that," Margaret teases. "So anyway, you show up. You look at yourself in the car mirror one last time, probably fuss with your hair to make sure it's on point—because God forbid a single strand is out of place—and you step out into the world, striding with that confident little smile like you own the place because, well, metaphorically you kind of do.”

"Naturally." Diane deadpans.

"And then," Margaret continues, ignoring her, "you see all those dusty construction workers, probably don’t want to breathe too close to them because that white blouse isn't going to survive a speck of dirt, but you're handling it."

"Yes, Margaret. Please get to the point."

Margaret snorts. "Fine. Now, cut to the interview." She starts to speak in a mimicking tone now, affecting Diane’s polished commissioner voice, "‘It’s never a problem if you’re mindful of where you step,’" Margaret says, doing a dramatic slow-motion voice, which sets her off into a little wheeze of laughter, "Are you kidding me with that line? Really? You had to say that?"

"Yes, yes, I had to say it. Get on with it." Diane barely hides her frustration.

"Okay, okay. So... now we get to the good part." Margaret's voice is gleeful. "You’re balancing on that tiny little barrier, right? Showing off. Real poised. Real in command. And then—I see it perfectly—you’re talking, narrating confidently, probably waving your arms for emphasis, ready to kick this metaphor into full-swing… and then, bam! That tiny scrape of your shoe slips right off the edge. And you know it’s coming, that horrible split-second realization, like ‘Oh no, oh no no no.' Everyone in the crew probably sees it on your face."

Diane inhales sharply, remembering that exact moment with all too much clarity. Margaret lets out a laugh before guiding the story to its climax.

"And then," Margaret continues between giggles, "you teeter. Your arms flail—to try to find balance. But gravity doesn’t care about your perfectly chosen outfit, right? So before you even know it, WHOOSH," Margaret probably gestures wildly even though Diane can’t see, "down you go, right into the biggest, grossest puddle of mud directly beneath you."

Another peal of laughter from Margaret, and Diane’s grip tightens on the phone, though she manages not to hang up.

“And the best part,” Margaret adds for emphasis, “is that when you realize just how soaked your entire side is—and oh, your Keds? Total goners at this point—well, you don’t just stand up in an elegant swift motion like some kind of graceful gazelle. Nope. You have to crawl.” She slows down for effect, enunciating each word to make it hurt. “You are hands and knees, crawling through the muck, your perfect khakis sagging, probably letting out the saddest little groan, and those once-white sneakers now squelching every time you try to move—a disgusting, squelch, squish, squelch. Oh, Diane… that mental image is pure gold. I’ve got it just etched into my memory.”

Diane exhales audibly, torn between annoyance and a reluctant laugh welling up in the back of her throat. Margaret isn’t wrong. She just wishes reflecting on that moment didn’t feel as (literally) painful.

"Is that really how you saw it unfold?" Diane asks exasperatedly, though she already knows the answer.

"Absolutely. 110%. You, the queen of all things polished and perfect, met your match in plain ol’ physics. Don’t worry, Diane," Margaret says, clearly still enjoying herself, "I’ll let you borrow my rain boots next time."

Diane sighs but can’t help a small chuckle finally escaping. "You’re impossible."

"Yeah, but I get you," Margaret responds with a grin in her voice. "And let’s be honest—you’re always going to look back at this and laugh, too. Might take a while, but trust me, it’ll happen."

Even though the situation still stings, Diane feels the tension starting to ease. Maybe Margaret is right—it might take days (or weeks), but eventually, she'd join in on the joke. Just maybe.

"Fine," Diane concedes softly. "Just... promise me you won’t bring this up at family dinners."

"No way," Margaret exhales through a laugh. "This story’s too good to keep quiet. You’re definitely hearing this again at Thanksgiving."

Diane rolls her eyes but smiles despite herself. At least she knows she’ll never live it down in the hands of her sister. And maybe, just maybe, that’s what makes it a little easier to deal with in the first place.

Later in the evening, Diane is still simmering in the aftermath of the day’s disaster. She’s cleaned herself up—mostly. Her Keds are in a bag by the door, hopelessly caked in layers of dried mud, and her once-pristine outfit is now soaking in a laundry sink, but her ego… well, that’s still sloshing in the proverbial mud. The irritation hasn’t faded, and as much as Margaret’s laughter had grated on her earlier, there’s no denying that her down-to-earth, no-nonsense sister is the only one she needs right now to fully process this humiliation.

She takes a deep breath, picking up her phone and reluctantly hitting redial. Margaret answers almost immediately, her tone still innocently cheerful.

"Oh, back for round two, Commissioner?" There's a mocking lilt to Margaret's voice already. Diane sighs but goes straight to the point.

"Margaret," Diane begins, trying to stay calm but letting a note of frustration slip through. "Obviously, you know me well… Can I assume that you’ve already got a fully-formed image of this... situation in your mind—the outfit disaster, the mud, all of it? I just... want to hear your version."

There’s a beat of utter silence on the other end, but Diane can tell Margaret is trying to suppress her amusement. Hell, she can practically hear her sister’s grin.

"Oh, Diane," Margaret finally says with the sort of relish that only comes from decades of sibling rivalry turned mutual affection. "Do I ever. Want me to walk you through it?"

Diane reluctantly mumbles, "Go on," already sensing she’s going to regret this.

Margaret clears her throat theatrically, clearly gearing up. "Okay, so let me paint this picture. You wake up this morning, probably spent a solid 15 minutes staring into your closet trying to decide what exactly says ‘I’m capable and professional’ but also ‘relatable.’ You land on," she pauses for effect, "the crisp white Ralph Lauren blouse—you love that thing—paired with tailored khaki slacks, fully convinced this was the perfect ‘polished but approachable commissioner’ look even though it’s a construction site."

Diane rolls her eyes but says nothing. She can practically see the smirk on her sister’s face through the phone.

Margaret continues, "And of course, you top it off with your brand-spanking-new white Keds. Canvas, naturally, because nothing screams practicality quite like white sneakers around mud, dirt, and heavy machinery, right?"

Diane groans. "It wasn’t supposed to be a muddy construction site, Margaret."

"Keep telling yourself that," Margaret teases. "So anyway, you show up. You look at yourself in the car mirror one last time, probably fuss with your hair to make sure it's on point—because God forbid a single strand is out of place—and you step out into the world, striding with that confident little smile like you own the place because, well, metaphorically you kind of do.”

"Naturally." Diane deadpans.

"And then," Margaret continues, ignoring her, "you see all those dusty construction workers, probably don’t want to breathe too close to them because that white blouse isn't going to survive a speck of dirt, but you're handling it."

"Yes, Margaret. Please get to the point."

Margaret snorts. "Fine. Now, cut to the interview." She starts to speak in a mimicking tone now, affecting Diane’s polished commissioner voice, "‘It’s never a problem if you’re mindful of where you step,’" Margaret says, doing a dramatic slow-motion voice, which sets her off into a little wheeze of laughter, "Are you kidding me with that line? Really? You had to say that?"

"Yes, yes, I had to say it. Get on with it." Diane barely hides her frustration.

"Okay, okay. So... now we get to the good part." Margaret's voice is gleeful. "You’re balancing on that tiny little barrier, right? Showing off. Real poised. Real in command. And then—I see it perfectly—you’re talking, narrating confidently, probably waving your arms for emphasis, ready to kick this metaphor into full-swing… and then, bam! That tiny scrape of your shoe slips right off the edge. And you know it’s coming, that horrible split-second realization, like ‘Oh no, oh no no no.' Everyone in the crew probably sees it on your face."

Diane inhales sharply, remembering that exact moment with all too much clarity. Margaret lets out a laugh before guiding the story to its climax.

"And then," Margaret continues between giggles, "you teeter. Your arms flail—to try to find balance. But gravity doesn’t care about your perfectly chosen outfit, right? So before you even know it, WHOOSH," Margaret probably gestures wildly even though Diane can’t see, "down you go, right into the biggest, grossest puddle of mud directly beneath you."

Another peal of laughter from Margaret, and Diane’s grip tightens on the phone, though she manages not to hang up.

“And the best part,” Margaret adds for emphasis, “is that when you realize just how soaked your entire side is—and oh, your Keds? Total goners at this point—well, you don’t just stand up in an elegant swift motion like some kind of graceful gazelle. Nope. You have to crawl.” She slows down for effect, enunciating each word to make it hurt. “You are hands and knees, crawling through the muck, your perfect khakis sagging, probably letting out the saddest little groan, and those once-white sneakers now squelching every time you try to move—a disgusting, squelch, squish, squelch. Oh, Diane… that mental image is pure gold. I’ve got it just etched into my memory.”

Diane exhales audibly, torn between annoyance and a reluctant laugh welling up in the back of her throat. Margaret isn’t wrong. She just wishes reflecting on that moment didn’t feel as (literally) painful.

"Is that really how you saw it unfold?" Diane asks exasperatedly, though she already knows the answer.

"Absolutely. 110%. You, the queen of all things polished and perfect, met your match in plain ol’ physics. Don’t worry, Diane," Margaret says, clearly still enjoying herself, "I’ll let you borrow my rain boots next time."

Diane sighs but can’t help a small chuckle finally escaping. "You’re impossible."

"Yeah, but I get you," Margaret responds with a grin in her voice. "And let’s be honest—you’re always going to look back at this and laugh, too. Might take a while, but trust me, it’ll happen."

Even though the situation still stings, Diane feels the tension starting to ease. Maybe Margaret is right—it might take days (or weeks), but eventually, she'd join in on the joke. Just maybe.

"Fine," Diane concedes softly. "Just... promise me you won’t bring this up at family dinners."

"No way," Margaret exhales through a laugh. "This story’s too good to keep quiet. You’re definitely hearing this again at Thanksgiving."

Diane rolls her eyes but smiles despite herself. At least she knows she’ll never live it down in the hands of her sister. And maybe, just maybe, that’s what makes it a little easier to deal with in the first place.
Diane asks Margaret, "Be honest, would you have laughed if you were there? Why? You know, I wasn't dressed for getting dirty. Oh and did I mention how I wiggled my toes in pride as I was showing off my pretty white shoes?"

Diane asks Margaret, "Be honest, would you have laughed if you were there? Why? You know, I wasn't dressed for getting dirty. Oh and did I mention how I wiggled my toes in pride as I was showing off my pretty white shoes?"
After a few long seconds of mutual silence, Diane musters the courage to voice the question that’s been gnawing at her as she relives the disgraceful memory over and over again.

“Okay, Margaret,” she says with slow deliberation. “Be honest with me. Would you have laughed if you were there?”

On the other end of the line, Margaret doesn’t hesitate—her response comes quickly, almost gleefully. “Oh, without a doubt.”

Diane lets out a defeated sigh, but it’s not entirely unexpected. There's a brief pause, just long enough for Margaret to take a breath, and then she elaborates with great relish.

“Diane, listen. You of all people act like you're gliding through the air while everyone else is just... y'know, trudging through the mud. So when the universe decides to remind you that, hey, sometimes we all literally have to fall into that same mud? How could I not laugh?”

Diane groans, the warmth now creeping up her neck knowing Margaret is right. “You know I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty, Margaret. Not even remotely. I mean, white sneakers? At a construction site?”

“Exactly! That’s why it’s hilarious!” Margaret breaks into a fit of laughter. “Come on, Diane! Like, it was a construction site! You were one gust of wind away from disaster the whole time. And then... bam, you're down!”

“That wasn’t even the worst part,” Diane mutters. “Oh, and did I mention how I was literally wiggling my toes showing off my shiny white shoes? As if... As if I’d somehow mastered the art of being above muddy reality?” She cringes, recalling how she’d flexed her foot like she was a model in a fashion spread. “That was right before I went into full wipeout mode.”

Margaret gasps, struggling to catch her breath in between gasps of laughter. “Oh. My. God. NO! You didn’t!” Her voice is practically shaking with laughter now. “You... you wiggled your toes like you knew they were the best thing in the room? Like, ‘Look at these pristine white shoes! Nothing can touch me!’ Oh, Diane, that’s so you.’[I’m seeing it crystal clear]!’”

Diane winces. “Margaret, you’re enjoying this way too much.”

“And why wouldn’t I?!” Margaret fires back. “You basically invited the gods of mud to mess with you the moment you did your little shoe flex and toe wiggle. It’s—I’m sorry, but it’s perfect! Everything about it!”

Diane closes her eyes, rubbing her forehead, and reluctantly starts chuckling despite herself. “I really should have known better.”

“Oh, for sure you should’ve,” Margaret teases. “But the fact that you didn’t is what makes it so priceless. You were giving a Ted Talk on how to strut with white sneakers on dirt. I mean, it was the setup to the best slapstick comedy ever, Diane. I...” Margaret pauses again, a wide grin evident in her tone as she feigns seriousness, “I’m just sorry that I didn’t get to be there to see it firsthand.”

Diane bites back a grin. “You’re impossible.”

“No, you! You’re impossible.” Margaret lets out another loud burst of laughter. “But hey, at least something good came out of this. You’ve given everyone—including me—one hell of a story. And let’s face it, you’re never going to wear white sneakers to a construction site again—right?”

Diane shakes her head but can’t resist another small smile. “Yeah, I think I’ve finally learned my lesson. No more pristine shoes, no more balancing acts, and definitely no more ‘mindful steps’ speeches while I’m teetering over a mud puddle.”

“Now there's the wisdom of our beloved commissioner,” Margaret says. “And don’t worry, Diane. Next time something like this happens, we’ll work together—I'll be there to warn you before you go all fashion runway on yet another construction site.”

“Appreciate that,” Diane says sarcastically, though her grin remains.

“But really—how are the Keds?” Margaret asks, bursting into fresh laughter.

“Oh, they’re a lost cause,” Diane says, shaking her head once more and shooting a glance at the pitiful shoes in the bag by the door. “Kind of like my dignity.”

“Well...,” Margaret chuckles softly, “at least one of those things wasn’t entirely spotless to begin with.”

Diane gasps sarcastically, and the two sisters burst into yet another round of uncontrollable laughter. Amid that laughter, Diane finally feels the day’s tension begin to lift. If nothing else, at least Margaret has a vivid, almost absurdly comedic picture in her head—and honestly, she can live with that.

After a few long seconds of mutual silence, Diane musters the courage to voice the question that’s been gnawing at her as she relives the disgraceful memory over and over again.

“Okay, Margaret,” she says with slow deliberation. “Be honest with me. Would you have laughed if you were there?”

On the other end of the line, Margaret doesn’t hesitate—her response comes quickly, almost gleefully. “Oh, without a doubt.”

Diane lets out a defeated sigh, but it’s not entirely unexpected. There's a brief pause, just long enough for Margaret to take a breath, and then she elaborates with great relish.

“Diane, listen. You of all people act like you're gliding through the air while everyone else is just... y'know, trudging through the mud. So when the universe decides to remind you that, hey, sometimes we all literally have to fall into that same mud? How could I not laugh?”

Diane groans, the warmth now creeping up her neck knowing Margaret is right. “You know I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty, Margaret. Not even remotely. I mean, white sneakers? At a construction site?”

“Exactly! That’s why it’s hilarious!” Margaret breaks into a fit of laughter. “Come on, Diane! Like, it was a construction site! You were one gust of wind away from disaster the whole time. And then... bam, you're down!”

“That wasn’t even the worst part,” Diane mutters. “Oh, and did I mention how I was literally wiggling my toes showing off my shiny white shoes? As if... As if I’d somehow mastered the art of being above muddy reality?” She cringes, recalling how she’d flexed her foot like she was a model in a fashion spread. “That was right before I went into full wipeout mode.”

Margaret gasps, struggling to catch her breath in between gasps of laughter. “Oh. My. God. NO! You didn’t!” Her voice is practically shaking with laughter now. “You... you wiggled your toes like you knew they were the best thing in the room? Like, ‘Look at these pristine white shoes! Nothing can touch me!’ Oh, Diane, that’s so you.’[I’m seeing it crystal clear]!’”

Diane winces. “Margaret, you’re enjoying this way too much.”

“And why wouldn’t I?!” Margaret fires back. “You basically invited the gods of mud to mess with you the moment you did your little shoe flex and toe wiggle. It’s—I’m sorry, but it’s perfect! Everything about it!”

Diane closes her eyes, rubbing her forehead, and reluctantly starts chuckling despite herself. “I really should have known better.”

“Oh, for sure you should’ve,” Margaret teases. “But the fact that you didn’t is what makes it so priceless. You were giving a Ted Talk on how to strut with white sneakers on dirt. I mean, it was the setup to the best slapstick comedy ever, Diane. I...” Margaret pauses again, a wide grin evident in her tone as she feigns seriousness, “I’m just sorry that I didn’t get to be there to see it firsthand.”

Diane bites back a grin. “You’re impossible.”

“No, you! You’re impossible.” Margaret lets out another loud burst of laughter. “But hey, at least something good came out of this. You’ve given everyone—including me—one hell of a story. And let’s face it, you’re never going to wear white sneakers to a construction site again—right?”

Diane shakes her head but can’t resist another small smile. “Yeah, I think I’ve finally learned my lesson. No more pristine shoes, no more balancing acts, and definitely no more ‘mindful steps’ speeches while I’m teetering over a mud puddle.”

“Now there's the wisdom of our beloved commissioner,” Margaret says. “And don’t worry, Diane. Next time something like this happens, we’ll work together—I'll be there to warn you before you go all fashion runway on yet another construction site.”

“Appreciate that,” Diane says sarcastically, though her grin remains.

“But really—how are the Keds?” Margaret asks, bursting into fresh laughter.

“Oh, they’re a lost cause,” Diane says, shaking her head once more and shooting a glance at the pitiful shoes in the bag by the door. “Kind of like my dignity.”

“Well...,” Margaret chuckles softly, “at least one of those things wasn’t entirely spotless to begin with.”

Diane gasps sarcastically, and the two sisters burst into yet another round of uncontrollable laughter. Amid that laughter, Diane finally feels the day’s tension begin to lift. If nothing else, at least Margaret has a vivid, almost absurdly comedic picture in her head—and honestly, she can live with that.
Diane asked Margaret, "If you were there watching from a distance, what would you have been thinking as I stepped up onto the barrier? Oh, and what did you mean by slapstick?"

Diane asked Margaret, "If you were there watching from a distance, what would you have been thinking as I stepped up onto the barrier? Oh, and what did you mean by slapstick?"
Margaret lets out a familiar chuckle, already relishing the question even before Diane finishes asking. There’s a beat of deliciously exaggerated anticipation, and Diane can practically picture her sister reclining back with a grin painted across her face.

“Oh, Diane,” Margaret begins, her voice gleeful but playful. “If I had been there, watching from a distance? Let’s set the scene.”

Diane, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, braces herself. She knows she’s in for a good-natured ribbing.

Margaret clears her throat dramatically. “[*Cue dramatic music, right?*]” she adds with an exaggerated flair. “There you are, standing tall under the sun like some heroine in an award-winning film about government infrastructure, looking so poised with your Ralph Lauren blouse all pristine, khakis pressed to perfection, and those dazzlingly white Keds glowing like they’re straight out of a freaking angel’s closet. I would be [*watching*] you from nearby, arms crossed, probably whispering to myself, ‘She’s really going for it.’”

Diane sighs but can already feel the smirk tugging at her lips as Margaret continues.

“So, you're giving your speech about the drainage system, doing your little hand gestures—important, authoritative, the whole deal. Then—then!—you decide, ‘Oh, wouldn’t it be a great visual if I stepped up onto this very narrow piece of wood?’ Because why not? Diane of all people is going to handle it with flair. As you lift your foot to step up there, I’m holding my breath, not because I’m in awe of what you’re saying, but because I know what’s about to happen.”

Diane raises an eyebrow at the phone. “You knew?”

“Oh, absolutely. You had the mud gods on speed dial the moment you put those white Keds on,” Margaret bursts into laughter before continuing. “Anyway, I’m watching, and as you're carefully, yet confidently striding along that ridiculously narrow beam of wood, I’m standing there whispering, ‘Don’t do it. Don’t tempt fate. Not—on—a—barrier.’"

Diane groans dramatically, remembering with all too much clarity the wobble she’d felt when her foot first missed the edge.

“And I can see it in your posture, too,” Margaret adds with glee. “You’re digging it—you’re thinking, ‘Wow, what a power move. I’m balancing like a pro. Everyone is so impressed.’ Meanwhile, all I can think is, This is a train wreck in slow motion, because physics doesn't care how polished you look, Diane! You—we all—know exactly what happens next."

Diane rolls her eyes, the tips of her ears warming with remembered embarrassment. “Oh yeah, I’ve replayed that moment about fifty times in my head.”

“And then,” Margaret continues, holding in laughter, “when you flexed your toes to show off your sparkly-clean sneakers to the reporter? That moment. That specific action, Diane, was like waving a red flag at a bull, inviting the chaos to unfold. I would’ve taken a deep breath, stepped back, and thought, ‘She’s toast.’ Because really, Mother Nature doesn’t care if your shoes are brand new.”

Diane groans again. “Okay, fine, I admit it. I was a little too… confident.

“A little?” Margaret laughs. “You were dancing with disaster! The second you stepped up onto that barrier and started parading those white shoes, it became like a Shakespearean tragedy—except, y'know, without the eloquent soliloquies. That’s where the slapstick part comes in.”

“About that,” Diane interjects, “what exactly did you mean by slapstick? I’m not a comedy nerd, you know.”

Margaret’s tone brightens with mischief in response. “Oh, let me explain in vivid detail, dear Commissioner. The best part about slapstick is that it’s all about exaggerated, physical comedy—tripping, falling, getting hit in the face with a pie, that sort of thing. Think Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy... You know, stuff where someone’s perched high on a metaphorical pedestal—like you were—looking flawless and proud, and then, in an instant, they’re slipping on a banana peel, face-planting into something messy.”

Diane can’t help but laugh at the description. “So you’re saying I’m now part of some kind of comedy routine?”

Margaret hums in agreement, clearly fighting back more laughter. “Oh, definitely. You were a textbook slapstick moment unfolding in real time. Here’s how it plays out: The audience is in awe of you—watching this perfect, graceful woman—and then BAM! You slip, windmill your arms, splat right into the mud, and everyone's left in stitches because no one—not even Miss Pristine White Shoes—is immune to a little chaos. It’s so unexpected, it catches us off guard. And honestly, watching the mighty Diane, who was so proud of her mud-defying sneakers, go down into the muck? That’s peak slapstick.”

Diane, despite herself, is now laughing too. “So you’re saying me slipping in the mud is basically the equivalent of getting hit in the face with a cream pie?”

“Exactly!” Margaret exclaims. “Especially the way you described wiggling your toes. It’s like you had just finished laying out the setup to the perfect physical comedy gag, and then there it was—the inevitable payoff. You’d barely finished showing off your shoes before you were condemned to your muddy fate. A natural production of clumsiness if there ever was one.”

Diane shakes her head, letting the laughter flow freely now. “I hate that you’re right.”

“Oh, come on!” Margaret chirps, “Admit it—it’s kind of funny now that the moment’s passed, right? Look, in the grand scheme of things, at least you didn’t hurt yourself. Your clothes and shoes might have taken the hit, sure, but your pride? Well… that’s got a bruising that only time can heal.”

Diane lets out a deep sigh, but a smile lingers on her lips. “You’re impossible. You seriously have this entire scene down like you were there.”

“I was there in spirit, Diane.” Margaret replies dramatically. “And I’m always here to remind you that 'balance' isn’t just about walking on literal beams—it’s knowing when to just stay grounded. So…” she adds with a theatrical pause, “next time you decide to show off your footwear in a mudzone, maybe pack a pair of hiking boots?"

Diane chuckles, “Deal. I’ll leave the white shoes for, I don’t know, sidewalks next time.”

“Good plan. Until next time, Diane—you and your slapstick destiny can always call me when life decides to turn your runway strut into a pratfall.”

With that, the two sisters continue laughing, the tension of the day at last behind them, along with a freshly shared inside joke.

Margaret lets out a familiar chuckle, already relishing the question even before Diane finishes asking. There’s a beat of deliciously exaggerated anticipation, and Diane can practically picture her sister reclining back with a grin painted across her face.

“Oh, Diane,” Margaret begins, her voice gleeful but playful. “If I had been there, watching from a distance? Let’s set the scene.”

Diane, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel, braces herself. She knows she’s in for a good-natured ribbing.

Margaret clears her throat dramatically. “[*Cue dramatic music, right?*]” she adds with an exaggerated flair. “There you are, standing tall under the sun like some heroine in an award-winning film about government infrastructure, looking so poised with your Ralph Lauren blouse all pristine, khakis pressed to perfection, and those dazzlingly white Keds glowing like they’re straight out of a freaking angel’s closet. I would be [*watching*] you from nearby, arms crossed, probably whispering to myself, ‘She’s really going for it.’”

Diane sighs but can already feel the smirk tugging at her lips as Margaret continues.

“So, you're giving your speech about the drainage system, doing your little hand gestures—important, authoritative, the whole deal. Then—then!—you decide, ‘Oh, wouldn’t it be a great visual if I stepped up onto this very narrow piece of wood?’ Because why not? Diane of all people is going to handle it with flair. As you lift your foot to step up there, I’m holding my breath, not because I’m in awe of what you’re saying, but because I know what’s about to happen.”

Diane raises an eyebrow at the phone. “You knew?”

“Oh, absolutely. You had the mud gods on speed dial the moment you put those white Keds on,” Margaret bursts into laughter before continuing. “Anyway, I’m watching, and as you're carefully, yet confidently striding along that ridiculously narrow beam of wood, I’m standing there whispering, ‘Don’t do it. Don’t tempt fate. Not—on—a—barrier.’"

Diane groans dramatically, remembering with all too much clarity the wobble she’d felt when her foot first missed the edge.

“And I can see it in your posture, too,” Margaret adds with glee. “You’re digging it—you’re thinking, ‘Wow, what a power move. I’m balancing like a pro. Everyone is so impressed.’ Meanwhile, all I can think is, This is a train wreck in slow motion, because physics doesn't care how polished you look, Diane! You—we all—know exactly what happens next."

Diane rolls her eyes, the tips of her ears warming with remembered embarrassment. “Oh yeah, I’ve replayed that moment about fifty times in my head.”

“And then,” Margaret continues, holding in laughter, “when you flexed your toes to show off your sparkly-clean sneakers to the reporter? That moment. That specific action, Diane, was like waving a red flag at a bull, inviting the chaos to unfold. I would’ve taken a deep breath, stepped back, and thought, ‘She’s toast.’ Because really, Mother Nature doesn’t care if your shoes are brand new.”

Diane groans again. “Okay, fine, I admit it. I was a little too… confident.

“A little?” Margaret laughs. “You were dancing with disaster! The second you stepped up onto that barrier and started parading those white shoes, it became like a Shakespearean tragedy—except, y'know, without the eloquent soliloquies. That’s where the slapstick part comes in.”

“About that,” Diane interjects, “what exactly did you mean by slapstick? I’m not a comedy nerd, you know.”

Margaret’s tone brightens with mischief in response. “Oh, let me explain in vivid detail, dear Commissioner. The best part about slapstick is that it’s all about exaggerated, physical comedy—tripping, falling, getting hit in the face with a pie, that sort of thing. Think Charlie Chaplin or Laurel and Hardy... You know, stuff where someone’s perched high on a metaphorical pedestal—like you were—looking flawless and proud, and then, in an instant, they’re slipping on a banana peel, face-planting into something messy.”

Diane can’t help but laugh at the description. “So you’re saying I’m now part of some kind of comedy routine?”

Margaret hums in agreement, clearly fighting back more laughter. “Oh, definitely. You were a textbook slapstick moment unfolding in real time. Here’s how it plays out: The audience is in awe of you—watching this perfect, graceful woman—and then BAM! You slip, windmill your arms, splat right into the mud, and everyone's left in stitches because no one—not even Miss Pristine White Shoes—is immune to a little chaos. It’s so unexpected, it catches us off guard. And honestly, watching the mighty Diane, who was so proud of her mud-defying sneakers, go down into the muck? That’s peak slapstick.”

Diane, despite herself, is now laughing too. “So you’re saying me slipping in the mud is basically the equivalent of getting hit in the face with a cream pie?”

“Exactly!” Margaret exclaims. “Especially the way you described wiggling your toes. It’s like you had just finished laying out the setup to the perfect physical comedy gag, and then there it was—the inevitable payoff. You’d barely finished showing off your shoes before you were condemned to your muddy fate. A natural production of clumsiness if there ever was one.”

Diane shakes her head, letting the laughter flow freely now. “I hate that you’re right.”

“Oh, come on!” Margaret chirps, “Admit it—it’s kind of funny now that the moment’s passed, right? Look, in the grand scheme of things, at least you didn’t hurt yourself. Your clothes and shoes might have taken the hit, sure, but your pride? Well… that’s got a bruising that only time can heal.”

Diane lets out a deep sigh, but a smile lingers on her lips. “You’re impossible. You seriously have this entire scene down like you were there.”

“I was there in spirit, Diane.” Margaret replies dramatically. “And I’m always here to remind you that 'balance' isn’t just about walking on literal beams—it’s knowing when to just stay grounded. So…” she adds with a theatrical pause, “next time you decide to show off your footwear in a mudzone, maybe pack a pair of hiking boots?"

Diane chuckles, “Deal. I’ll leave the white shoes for, I don’t know, sidewalks next time.”

“Good plan. Until next time, Diane—you and your slapstick destiny can always call me when life decides to turn your runway strut into a pratfall.”

With that, the two sisters continue laughing, the tension of the day at last behind them, along with a freshly shared inside joke.
Diane asks Margaret, "Did something similar happen to a girl back in college? I can't remember the details but it involved some prissy girl, a cute outfits, new sneakers and ......mud. Do you remember? How did all that go down?"

Diane asks Margaret, "Did something similar happen to a girl back in college? I can't remember the details but it involved some prissy girl, a cute outfits, new sneakers and ......mud. Do you remember? How did all that go down?"
Margaret's laughter softened into a thoughtful hum, and Diane could practically hear the gears turning in her sister's head. There was a pause, and then Margaret's voice lit up as she seemed to recall the memory Diane had vaguely mentioned.

"Oh my God, yes! How could I forget that?" Margaret's voice shifted into story-mode almost immediately. "That was classic. You're talking about Amber, aren’t you? You know, that girl who thought every day on campus was a runway?"

“Yes!” Diane exclaimed. “That's the one! I just couldn’t remember her name.”

Margaret chuckled. “Oh, I totally remember how that played out. Get comfortable because this is going to bring back some memories.”

Diane grinned, leaning back in the driver’s seat as she listened.

"So,” Margaret began, “it was junior year, and Amber—who, let's be honest, oozed 'prissy princess' vibes—had just gotten those ridiculously expensive white sneakers. They were, like, all the rage at the time—some limited-edition designer line that everyone was talking about.”

“Oh I remember. She was always bragging about them,” Diane added.

Margaret snickered. “Exactly. She had this whole ‘I’m better than everyone’ attitude, and those shoes became her pièce de résistance. I swear, she wore them everywhere like they were going to make her float above the ground or something. Literally tiptoeing in them like they were glass slippers."

Diane chuckled, already seeing the direction the story was taking.

"So one day,” Margaret continued, “there was this outdoor festival that everyone was hanging out at. It had rained the night before, so the lawn was still pretty muddy in some spots. Now, Amber shows up in this perfectly coordinated outfit—her little pastel shorts and a matching crop top—"

“Oh, sounds familiar,” Diane broke in, trying to stifle a giggle.

“Right?” Margaret agreed. “Anyway, she was walking around the festival in a bubble of self-importance, and—this is the best part—she was clearly actively avoiding the muddy patches. But because the place was crowded, it was impossible to do that perfectly."

Diane raised an eyebrow, already feeling the secondhand tension. "Oh no."

"Oh yes," Margaret replied, a smile audible in her voice. "So here we are, minding our own business from a few yards away near the food stalls and watching her from a distance. And then it happens—the moment. She’s walking by a group of people, her head held high like she’s Miss America, her sneakers practically glowing under the sunlight. But right as she’s showing off—and I kid you not—she steps on something slick.”

Margaret paused for dramatic effect, and Diane groaned, already seeing it unfold in her mind.

“Oh no, she didn’t…” Diane muttered, trying to hold in her smile.

Margaret almost cackled. “Oh yes she did! She stepped on a hidden patch of mud, and suddenly... boom! She lost her footing. And I mean it was epic—like full-on cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. Her sneakers slid, she flailed—arms everywhere—and she landed backward right into the softest, muddiest patch of ground imaginable. Splat.

Diane burst out laughing, vividly picturing it. “Oh my God... the expensive white sneakers were ruined?!”

Margaret howled with laughter again. "Completely destroyed. She sat up with this total look of horror all over her face. The once-glowing white shoes were now smudged with thick brown mud. And it wasn’t just the shoes, Diane—it was her whole outfit! Her pastel shorts were soaked, her crop top had dirt splatters, and the best part”—Margaret added with wicked delight—“was that she had mud all through her perfectly straightened hair. It was like the universe just decided, ‘You need to be taken down a few notches today.’”

Diane snorted, thoroughly entertained. “Did anyone try to help her, or was everyone just watching dumbfounded?”

“Oh no, people were totally staring.” Margaret's grin was practically audible as she added, “At first, there was this collective gasp—like, Did that just happen?—but then after a few beats, when Amber didn’t get up right away, the chuckles started. No one was outright cruel, but it was one of those moments where all you can do is laugh because it’s so absurd."

“Oh, poor thing,” Diane tried to say through bursts of laughter, failing to mask her enjoyment of the story. “I literally remember she acted like walking around campus was a full-time modeling gig.”

“Exactly!” Margaret said, still giggling. “She was the queen of showing off. And to top it all off, I remember she tried to play it cool afterward, like, you know, she meant for it to happen. But it was hopeless. There was no recovering from that one.”

“Oh man,” Diane said, wiping a tear from her eye from laughter even though she felt a twinge of sympathy for Amber. “Considering what happened to me today, I guess I shouldn’t be laughing.”

Margaret interjected quickly, “Oh no, no, no. You should totally laugh. Because this, dear Commissioner, is your ‘Amber moment.’ You strutted your stuff in white shoes, all proud and confident, and the universe gave you a little nudge. Admit it, it’s a little poetic.”

Diane gave a dramatic sigh, still smiling. “Alright, fine, I admit it. I guess I can take a little comfort in knowing that I wasn’t the first to have a perfect outfit ruined by mud."

“And you won’t be the last,” Margaret chimed in. “In fact, consider it your initiation into the club of reality checks. We’ve all had one, and now you have too. Welcome aboard.”

Diane laughed, feeling the weight of the day slowly lifting. “So what’s the lesson here, then?”

“Easy,” Margaret said with a grin in her voice. “Never underestimate the power of mud—especially if you’re wearing something you think is untouchable. Mud has a way of humbling even the most pristine among us.”

With one last burst of shared laughter, Diane knew that, though she may have fallen into the mud—both literally and metaphorically—she was hardly alone in the experience. And if nothing else, it had given her and Margaret one heck of a story for future family dinners.

“Thanks for the reminder, Margaret,” Diane said, shaking her head with a smile. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some sneakers to attempt to salvage.”

Margaret snickered. "Good luck with that. And remember, next time: avoid the barrier!"

Margaret's laughter softened into a thoughtful hum, and Diane could practically hear the gears turning in her sister's head. There was a pause, and then Margaret's voice lit up as she seemed to recall the memory Diane had vaguely mentioned.

"Oh my God, yes! How could I forget that?" Margaret's voice shifted into story-mode almost immediately. "That was classic. You're talking about Amber, aren’t you? You know, that girl who thought every day on campus was a runway?"

“Yes!” Diane exclaimed. “That's the one! I just couldn’t remember her name.”

Margaret chuckled. “Oh, I totally remember how that played out. Get comfortable because this is going to bring back some memories.”

Diane grinned, leaning back in the driver’s seat as she listened.

"So,” Margaret began, “it was junior year, and Amber—who, let's be honest, oozed 'prissy princess' vibes—had just gotten those ridiculously expensive white sneakers. They were, like, all the rage at the time—some limited-edition designer line that everyone was talking about.”

“Oh I remember. She was always bragging about them,” Diane added.

Margaret snickered. “Exactly. She had this whole ‘I’m better than everyone’ attitude, and those shoes became her pièce de résistance. I swear, she wore them everywhere like they were going to make her float above the ground or something. Literally tiptoeing in them like they were glass slippers."

Diane chuckled, already seeing the direction the story was taking.

"So one day,” Margaret continued, “there was this outdoor festival that everyone was hanging out at. It had rained the night before, so the lawn was still pretty muddy in some spots. Now, Amber shows up in this perfectly coordinated outfit—her little pastel shorts and a matching crop top—"

“Oh, sounds familiar,” Diane broke in, trying to stifle a giggle.

“Right?” Margaret agreed. “Anyway, she was walking around the festival in a bubble of self-importance, and—this is the best part—she was clearly actively avoiding the muddy patches. But because the place was crowded, it was impossible to do that perfectly."

Diane raised an eyebrow, already feeling the secondhand tension. "Oh no."

"Oh yes," Margaret replied, a smile audible in her voice. "So here we are, minding our own business from a few yards away near the food stalls and watching her from a distance. And then it happens—the moment. She’s walking by a group of people, her head held high like she’s Miss America, her sneakers practically glowing under the sunlight. But right as she’s showing off—and I kid you not—she steps on something slick.”

Margaret paused for dramatic effect, and Diane groaned, already seeing it unfold in her mind.

“Oh no, she didn’t…” Diane muttered, trying to hold in her smile.

Margaret almost cackled. “Oh yes she did! She stepped on a hidden patch of mud, and suddenly... boom! She lost her footing. And I mean it was epic—like full-on cartoon character slipping on a banana peel. Her sneakers slid, she flailed—arms everywhere—and she landed backward right into the softest, muddiest patch of ground imaginable. Splat.

Diane burst out laughing, vividly picturing it. “Oh my God... the expensive white sneakers were ruined?!”

Margaret howled with laughter again. "Completely destroyed. She sat up with this total look of horror all over her face. The once-glowing white shoes were now smudged with thick brown mud. And it wasn’t just the shoes, Diane—it was her whole outfit! Her pastel shorts were soaked, her crop top had dirt splatters, and the best part”—Margaret added with wicked delight—“was that she had mud all through her perfectly straightened hair. It was like the universe just decided, ‘You need to be taken down a few notches today.’”

Diane snorted, thoroughly entertained. “Did anyone try to help her, or was everyone just watching dumbfounded?”

“Oh no, people were totally staring.” Margaret's grin was practically audible as she added, “At first, there was this collective gasp—like, Did that just happen?—but then after a few beats, when Amber didn’t get up right away, the chuckles started. No one was outright cruel, but it was one of those moments where all you can do is laugh because it’s so absurd."

“Oh, poor thing,” Diane tried to say through bursts of laughter, failing to mask her enjoyment of the story. “I literally remember she acted like walking around campus was a full-time modeling gig.”

“Exactly!” Margaret said, still giggling. “She was the queen of showing off. And to top it all off, I remember she tried to play it cool afterward, like, you know, she meant for it to happen. But it was hopeless. There was no recovering from that one.”

“Oh man,” Diane said, wiping a tear from her eye from laughter even though she felt a twinge of sympathy for Amber. “Considering what happened to me today, I guess I shouldn’t be laughing.”

Margaret interjected quickly, “Oh no, no, no. You should totally laugh. Because this, dear Commissioner, is your ‘Amber moment.’ You strutted your stuff in white shoes, all proud and confident, and the universe gave you a little nudge. Admit it, it’s a little poetic.”

Diane gave a dramatic sigh, still smiling. “Alright, fine, I admit it. I guess I can take a little comfort in knowing that I wasn’t the first to have a perfect outfit ruined by mud."

“And you won’t be the last,” Margaret chimed in. “In fact, consider it your initiation into the club of reality checks. We’ve all had one, and now you have too. Welcome aboard.”

Diane laughed, feeling the weight of the day slowly lifting. “So what’s the lesson here, then?”

“Easy,” Margaret said with a grin in her voice. “Never underestimate the power of mud—especially if you’re wearing something you think is untouchable. Mud has a way of humbling even the most pristine among us.”

With one last burst of shared laughter, Diane knew that, though she may have fallen into the mud—both literally and metaphorically—she was hardly alone in the experience. And if nothing else, it had given her and Margaret one heck of a story for future family dinners.

“Thanks for the reminder, Margaret,” Diane said, shaking her head with a smile. “Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have some sneakers to attempt to salvage.”

Margaret snickered. "Good luck with that. And remember, next time: avoid the barrier!"
Before hanging up, Margaret asked Diane, "So when you first arrived and you noticed various muddy spots and the big pool of mud near the barrier, what crossed your mind? Did you glance at your immaculate Keds?"

Before hanging up, Margaret asked Diane, "So when you first arrived and you noticed various muddy spots and the big pool of mud near the barrier, what crossed your mind? Did you glance at your immaculate Keds?"
Just as Diane was about to say her goodbyes, she heard Margaret’s voice again, a teasing note sneaking back in as if she couldn’t resist getting one more jab in before the day ended.

“Hey, Diane—before you hang up,” Margaret said, her tone light with mischief. “So… when you first arrived and saw the scene—y’know, the mud, the puddles, the giant pool of muck right near the barrier—what crossed your mind? Be honest. Did you even glance down at your immaculate, pristine Keds? Were there any warning bells going off in your head at all?”

Diane paused. It was a simple question, but of course Margaret would drill into the exact moment when Diane could have—should have—seen disaster coming. She grimaced in embarrassment just thinking about it, but also knowing Margaret wouldn’t let her off the hook. Might as well be honest.

“Okay, okay,” Diane sighed heavily. “I’ll admit… when I first pulled up and saw the construction site, and the muddy spots, my first thought honestly was, ‘This should be fine.’ I figured it wasn’t that bad.”

“Mhm,” Margaret murmured knowingly, clearly enjoying this confession.

“Mind you,” Diane continued, “I saw the mud, especially that giant pool near the barrier I ultimately fell into, but—well—you know me, Margaret. I wasn’t that worried. It’s like, despite every bit of logic telling me that this was a messy environment, I had convinced myself that I wouldn’t be the one to get dirty. I just thought because I wasn’t planning on stepping into mud directly, I could avoid it.”

Margaret laughed softly but didn’t interrupt, so Diane kept talking.

“And yes, I glanced down at my Keds,” Diane admitted, sounding almost sheepish. “Not just once, actually. Probably a few times. I’m embarrassed to say it now, but I even remember thinking, ‘Wow, these shoes are so white. They look perfect. How good do I look right now?’"

“You did not,” Margaret burst out, sounding half-amused and half-dumbfounded. “You were admiring your shoes while being surrounded by literal mud swamps?”

“Okay, yes! I was!” Diane confessed, blushing despite knowing Margaret couldn’t see her. “I know, I know. Call it wishful thinking or just complete delusion—I even thought, for like, two whole seconds, that the contrast of my bright white shoes against all the dirt added a certain... I don’t know... elegance.”

Margaret started laughing uncontrollably. “E-legance! Oh my God, Diane! You were walking through a construction site thinking you were on the cover of Vogue! You were practically tempting fate with those shoes! No wonder you ended up taking a full mud bath!"

Diane groaned, but her lips curled up into a reluctant smile. “Alright, fine! I might have underestimated the situation just a little. I thought I had it under control. I didn’t think for a second that I’d actually end up in the mud.”

“But you didn’t just step in it,” Margaret teased, still giggling. “You full-on belly-flopped into it after your little balancing act. There’s appreciating irony, and then there’s... well, what happened to you.”

“Story of my day,” Diane muttered, now laughing along with her sister.

Margaret’s laughter subsided just enough for her to add one last comment before Diane could even think about hanging up. “You see, Diane—that’s what makes it so wonderfully tragic and funny. You spotted the danger, acknowledged it in passing like it was just another detail at your glamorous press conference, and then barreled forward with such confidence.

Diane sighed, shaking her head, “I guess that’s what makes the whole thing so stupid. I tried to treat it like nothing could touch me.”

“Oh, it touched you alright,” Margaret quipped through renewed chuckles. “It enveloped you.”

“Oh, shut up!” Diane laughed, shaking her head. “I’m never going to hear the end of this, am I?”

“Absolutely not,” Margaret said, her voice brimming with amusement, “But hey, at least now you’ll have a reminder to never doubt the power of mud again. And next time... maybe leave the immaculate shoes at home?”

“Point taken,” Diane responded, finally feeling the weight of the day fully lift as she let out a light but genuine laugh.

With that, the two sisters finally said their goodbyes, though Diane knew she'd be getting plenty of playful reminders about this day from Margaret for the foreseeable future. At least, the next time she thought about perfectly white shoes, the mental image of this muddy mishap would make her pause... hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom