• All email services are currently down. I hope for a fix within a day

Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
I think it may be a fair bet that since 1995 I may be one of the top 5 Keds purchasers. I have literally bought hundreds of pairs over the years and for the most part I have enjoyed every different generation.

There have been a few flubs like the wedge heal and inconsistent manufacturing from the various countries they have outsourced to. I don't think I'm alone in saying that some of the best came from Korea and the generation that came after the wedge heal were probably the best made period.

Now for 2016 we have the worst and the highest priced Keds ever. The must be paying Taylor Swift so much they had to cut every penny off the production of the product.

I imagine a lot of you are on the Keds mailing list and received the (attached ad). Well the Keds in the picture looked great and I wanted to buy every colour. The problem is those are not what is actually being sold. The new Keds have bare metal eyelets and toe that has no shape. I wrote to Keds and asked if the product being advertised was available. A day later I received a terse reply from customer service which I unfortunately deleted. I'm still a bit pissed off about being mislead. But I'm glad I did not buy before asking.

If anyone has anything good to say about the new Keds please do otherwise feel free to add your negativity to my post. Maybe Keds will read this and take steps to improve the product.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-06-11 11:31:39.png
    Screenshot from 2016-06-11 11:31:39.png
    378.3 KB · Views: 2
Re: Disappointing 2016 Keds

That's unfortunate. Do you have a picture of the new keds?

AGREED Seeker!! I honestly have thought Keds were crap for at least 15 years. The mid 1990's were the last generation that was any good. I also have bought them yearly and the quality in every aspect of the shoe has gone downhill. The canvas is thinner, the glue runs all over the place when washed, the soles wear faster, the insoles are much more uncomfortable and my #1 complaint is they are NARROWER every year. The XW version is a joke. I wear 12's/13's and need all the width I can get and they keep getting smaller. F U keds!! We all don't have rollerblades for feet!

I did get VERY lucky and saw a lady on ebay selling my size in the 1990's version so I bought her out - 6 pairs! That should keep me going for 2-3 more years. But Keds quality and price is a joke!! Really? $50 for canvas tennies?? That's a joke! Grab the payless version and put padded inserts in them, get 3 colors for the price of one. I am not married to Keds by any means. Just love canvas sneakers..

Thanks for the rant Seeker, I love to vent on occasion!

Keds2001

Yeah here is what they are selling. You can see that the toe or even the body of the shoe has no shape.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-06-11 14:41:48.png
    Screenshot from 2016-06-11 14:41:48.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 2

AGREED Seeker!! I honestly have thought Keds were crap for at least 15 years. The mid 1990's were the last generation that was any good. I also have bought them yearly and the quality in every aspect of the shoe has gone downhill. The canvas is thinner, the glue runs all over the place when washed, the soles wear faster, the insoles are much more uncomfortable and my #1 complaint is they are NARROWER every year. The XW version is a joke. I wear 12's/13's and need all the width I can get and they keep getting smaller. F U keds!! We all don't have rollerblades for feet!

I did get VERY lucky and saw a lady on ebay selling my size in the 1990's version so I bought her out - 6 pairs! That should keep me going for 2-3 more years. But Keds quality and price is a joke!! Really? $50 for canvas tennies?? That's a joke! Grab the payless version and put padded inserts in them, get 3 colors for the price of one. I am not married to Keds by any means. Just love canvas sneakers..

Thanks for the rant Seeker, I love to vent on occasion!

Keds2001

Thanks I will.

I purchased a pair of white champs in January in leather and canvas, and they both came with the bare metal eyelets. It wasn't what keds.com had as an image on their website at the time. I left a negative review about false advertising. Later they updated the image. My guess is maybe they were dwindling down eyelet supply from the previous manufacturing plant overseas, before Wolverine transfers it to Michigan? Hopefully they go back to the colored eyelets again soon. Just saw an article recently and it had this image of a special edition champ I assume. I noticed the rubber trim around the perimeter of the shoe looks wider? Not sure if this will be the new look for 2017?

keds2016.jpg

Yep, I can see it. They look like q-tips. How many times has keds modified the design over the last decade?

I purchased a pair of white champs in January in leather and canvas, and they both came with the bare metal eyelets. It wasn't what keds.com had as an image on their website at the time. I left a negative review about false advertising. Later they updated the image. My guess is maybe they were dwindling down eyelet supply from the previous manufacturing plant overseas, before Wolverine transfers it to Michigan? Hopefully they go back to the colored eyelets again soon. Just saw an article recently and it had this image of a special edition champ I assume. I noticed the rubber trim around the perimeter of the shoe looks wider? Not sure if this will be the new look for 2017?

View attachment 239514

I'm glad I'm not the only one to complain to them about that.

The shoe pictured has a nice shape and profile. Maybe when the US Keds come out we will have something to cheer about.

Yep, I can see it. They look like q-tips. How many times has keds modified the design over the last decade?

Decade, too many to count. I'm not unhappy about all the changes. The blue label with white letters is ok. The logo on the tongue and side patch are ok but I'm sure others will disagree.

Back
Top Bottom