Sweet_girl22au

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Melbourne
Has anyone here ever seen one of those "shoe trees" and taken a really old pair of chucks off the tree to keep? we dont have those things in Australia, but i have seen pics of heaps of them and they always have really trashed chucks on them! has anyone ever taken the chucks for themselves? what about off powerlines?

Re: has anyone ever...

I've been thinking about doing that myself, but I don't know any real shoe trees around my area. But I wouldn't take sneakers off of powerlines since that usually suggests that the person who wore them got shot or killed in US urban culture or something like that.

Lately, I have seen some shoes on powerlines and I just want them all to myself. Around here shoes are not put on powerlines because somebody had got shot or killed. I saw a pair of Chucks on two different powerlines that I'm try to get down if I can found a way and I know they won't be my size but so what. I know somebody here will like them...

Hey, Sweet Girl haven't heard from you for a while. See quite a lot of sneakers hanging from power lines around Brissy these days. I don't think they have the connotation seen in the US. I have seen 2 pairs of Chucks amongst many others. Of course, unless you work for the power company, no way to get them down. It's like dangling the keys to a gaol cell and not being able to reach them. try as I might, I have never found any Chucks in an Op shop only - in fact they only sell the cheap and nasty stuff. I think any name brands are either given to people or taken by the volunteers - I heard that somewhere, don't know if true. No Chucks here today bar me - 37 celsius. More humid than Melb's 41!!!

Hey, Sweet Girl haven't heard from you for a while. See quite a lot of sneakers hanging from power lines around Brissy these days. I don't think they have the connotation seen in the US. I have seen 2 pairs of Chucks amongst many others. Of course, unless you work for the power company, no way to get them down. It's like dangling the keys to a gaol cell and not being able to reach them. try as I might, I have never found any Chucks in an Op shop only - in fact they only sell the cheap and nasty stuff. I think any name brands are either given to people or taken by the volunteers - I heard that somewhere, don't know if true. No Chucks here today bar me - 37 celsius. More humid than Melb's 41!!!
I think they might actually have different connotations in the US depending on the city region. In some it means that the person who wore them got shot (I think this is more common in NYC or LA), in others, it means there is a drug dealer there (there is something about it on Snopes.com . In some, it just means the person is ready to retire their shoes.

I'm guessing a Op shop is a Thrift Store where you live. I know what you mean, its hard to find some chucks there, and usually when you find a pair, its usually in those sizes that little kids wear, like 1 or 2 (I wouldn't take a pair smaller than size 4, just wouldn't feel right to me, espeically since the smallest size that chicks I know wear is like Size 4). I wear my chucks in all types of weather, from Hot and Humid, to really cold (though you'd be likely to see me wearing one of my leather ones if it really gets that cold (like under 50 Farinheit).

Yes, I have heard of the drug dealer thing too, I often think of that but I'm not too sure it is this here. I think it's mostly kids with too much money and no fetishes! And yes, the Op shop is the same as a Thrift Shop. I think if I gave some of my Chucks to them, they'd never end up there for sale. I would feel the same as you with the smaller sizes. We ended up with 40.2 degrees C yesterday, far and away the hottest day of summer as it has been unusually cool here. I would have worn my Chucks too but I most styaed on the bed, reading in the air-con. In Navy Chucks today. I found a new colour today, just in. Bright Green. They had the most awful smell I have ever smelt - new factory again (China again this time ) but I can see by the mould that it is different - they were offensive and Chucks shouldn't be like that. They smelt like two day old puke or piss or something. I could even smell it in the air around all the shoes in their boxes. No way I'm buying them and smelling that stuff. I like the old smells.

Yes, I have heard of the drug dealer thing too, I often think of that but I'm not too sure it is this here. I think it's mostly kids with too much money and no fetishes! And yes, the Op shop is the same as a Thrift Shop. I think if I gave some of my Chucks to them, they'd never end up there for sale. I would feel the same as you with the smaller sizes. We ended up with 40.2 degrees C yesterday, far and away the hottest day of summer as it has been unusually cool here. I would have worn my Chucks too but I most styaed on the bed, reading in the air-con. In Navy Chucks today. I found a new colour today, just in. Bright Green. They had the most awful smell I have ever smelt - new factory again (China again this time ) but I can see by the mould that it is different - they were offensive and Chucks shouldn't be like that. They smelt like two day old puke or piss or something. I could even smell it in the air around all the shoes in their boxes. No way I'm buying them and smelling that stuff. I like the old smells.
One thing that has been brought up time and time again is how much these China chucks suck against US made chucks. I miss all the really unique, but hard to put in words qualities that hte US pairs had :icon_cry:. The China pairs are horrible, especially those with "Fuzz" on the soles (the ones that came before it were much better.) I have a converse outlet near where I live (actually 2 of them and I'm sorta in hte midpoint too, so it's like a double win for me :icon_cool), so in the back, they have discounted chucks, usually stock that they couldn't sell at 50 bucks, so now it sells for 14.99. They also have something called "B Class" Chucks. They seem to be early china pairs and Indonesia pairs that have been classified as "B Class", but in my opinion, they are much higher class than the crap coming out of China now. I do wish that production wouldn't have stopped at the US factory. US Chucks could probebly take about any type of abuse and not go bad.

i've always wanted to take a pair of old chucks to keep instead of buying new ones cause i like it when my chucks are dirty, but iv'e never actually done it before maybe if i see another pair hanging i just might take it.

Yeah, ive never been able to bring myself to take shoes off of those trees, it would take to much effort... i randomly found a low top chuck on the road once tho, it was so random...

haha
I think the being shot or killed thing is a myth.
:icon_lol:

Back
Top Bottom