Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
First off I must say I'm a "glass half full" type of person so perhaps I'm a bit biased. I will agree that Keds is probably the most inconsistent sneaker manufacturer around but the quality of the newer products is not really bad as far as I'm concerned. I have Keds in my collection dating back to at least the 50's and truthfully they are horrible quality. US Keds were never very good. Once they started making them in Korea (80's - 90's) the quality really improved. In my opinion the best generation was the 2 years after the awful flared heal. The canvas was think, the soles were good rubber, the insoles were thick and well padded. Then came the new sole, tiny blue patch and a couple of seasons of crap. It may well have been our complaining that made Keds make more changes. I have checked all the Keds that I'm currently wearing and they are from China and I have not seen any from Vietnam. Those may change my review.

The first 4 photos are of a navy pair I have been wearing to work for a few months. The shape is still good after many many miles, the canvas is firm, the insole padding is intact, and the soles show little wear. I can't complain at all well maybe the 40.00 price pisses me off.

The next 4 photos are from a pair I just bought for Aimee. The canvas is nice and thick, the insoles are padded really well. Much better than the pair I'm wearing, the rubber sole is quiet nice. It would be better if there was more pebbling but all in all a really good Keds Champion. My one complaint with the pointers is that extra line if stitching by the eyelet even though it does improve the sneakers construction.

If Keds is listening I would like to see all the new Champions have the Pointer insole and breather eyelets on the inner side of of the sneaker like the men's and many of the new woman's styles.

Attachments

• 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 00004.jpg
    00004.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 00001.jpg
    00001.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 00002.jpg
    00002.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 00003.jpg
    00003.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 00004.jpg
    00004.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 0
Re: Keds Quality 2012

I agree with you Seeker on the point of the early Keds champs were pretty rough... I have quite a few pr of "pebble sole" Champions in my size, Womens 11... Two pr I wear every now and again... Both have seperated half way round the heel between the foxing and the pebble sole...This seperation goes all the way to the inside so they are only a dry weather shoe...
I have also just brought a BRAND NEW pr of not to shabby, slip on's.. These have seperated at the back of the little toe area same as the old Pebbles... I have only worn these about 6 times... Once again the right size...
I e-mailed Keds about the seperation and the fact that there are no Pointers over size 10... Why... What about the girls with larger feet and me of course... I'm sure I saw some 11's on the Keds site when they first cme out but of course you couldn't get them over here...
I also just aquired a new pr of black skimmers... Womens sz 11 b, as I normaly do... These seem tighter and shorter (1/2 size) than usual... The wife said something similar about a new pr of champions I got her for her birthday...
I wont start again on buying Keds in Ozz....WHAT THE HELL GOES ON AT KEDS....???... ARE KEDS SIZES SHRINKING...???.... DO KEDS EVER LISTEN TO ANYONE..????... :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil: Walk softly people...

It's called "size creep," but in this case it is going in the wrong direction. Dress makers have known this for years. If you make a size 8 dress and call it a 6, women are more likely to buy it. And it's not just women's clothes, I am different sizes depending on whose shirts I buy.

I don't think that there are any hard and fast standards when it comes to clothing sizes. Also when it comes to women's shoes, the anatomy of the female foot is not taken into consideration - appearance trumps all.

Its pretty common knowledge that Keds slipons and skimmers run a bit smaller. I've never had a pair of Keds separate. Maybe you need to be in a larger size (your feet do get bigger as you get older).

I had dig up this article and admit I was wrong. The navy pair of Keds I commented on are still going strong however last week I was wearing a black pair only to realize the foxing had come away from the sole. To add insult to injury yesterday another pair of black Keds (same vintage) separated almost fully. Both pairs had little wear and both ended up in the trash. I didn't buy any Keds for myself this year and may not next year if they continue to sell crap.

AMEN Seek!! Keds has been putting out garbage for years! I cannot even come close to getting my foot into any new Keds because they all run so G@$DAMN narrow now! The xwides used to be great and now all the shoes are built like damn ice skates! Converse and vans are the same way, too fricking narrow and very poor quality.

I also don't like the white stitching on the side by the eyelets it really cheapens the shoes.I have seen the same stitching on sneakers at Zellers no name brands. I miss the solid colour stitching that keds had in the 80s and 90s. I know some of you hardcore keds lovers love the late 60s and 70s stitching but I will always prefer the solid. I guess it comes down too what you grew up with.

Back
Top Bottom