Re: My favourite chucks pics from the net

ooh very nice! thanks badalex! you definately have a good taste in old dirty converse!
As for pre-ripped converse. I dont think that would be so good. The fabric in the current converse is weaker than ever. It was changed a couple of years ago to a "canvass like textile" as opposed to proper canvass which is what the chucks of old are made of. Nowadays you see so many pairs which fall apart before they can even get too dirty and worn out.
Chucks are soooo popular now, and theyre worn in huge numbers by the best kinds of wearers - the teenage punk/emo/wannabe rocker crowd who wear the shit out of their chucks. Imagine if they were still made of the old canvass! There would be so many kids walking around in the most unimaginably filthy, dirty, worn smooth pairs ever! because they wouldnt fall apart. Its a rare find when you see someone on the street in a newer style pair who has managed to wear them gently and got a few years out of them, so theyre nice and dirty.

ooh very nice! thanks badalex! you definately have a good taste in old dirty converse!
As for pre-ripped converse. I dont think that would be so good. The fabric in the current converse is weaker than ever. It was changed a couple of years ago to a "canvass like textile" as opposed to proper canvass which is what the chucks of old are made of. Nowadays you see so many pairs which fall apart before they can even get too dirty and worn out.
Chucks are soooo popular now, and theyre worn in huge numbers by the best kinds of wearers - the teenage punk/emo/wannabe rocker crowd who wear the shit out of their chucks. Imagine if they were still made of the old canvass! There would be so many kids walking around in the most unimaginably filthy, dirty, worn smooth pairs ever! because they wouldnt fall apart. Its a rare find when you see someone on the street in a newer style pair who has managed to wear them gently and got a few years out of them, so theyre nice and dirty.

Thanks for you great comment ...
But we have to discuss your statement of nowadays falling apart chucks. The black pair I wear now (8 months old) is the most stable pair I ever bought. Despite heavy daily wear it does not rip or is falling apart in any way. I still remember the old days chucks were made in the U.S.A. They were much squashier and comfortable to wear. The trashing started within 3 or 6 months with rips at the toe cap and with the separation of the sole at the rear. I loved that !!!! They also looked soon worn down and faded in colour. The nowadays produced chucks (made in China and/or Vietnam) dont "behave" like that ... they are heavier and finally rip at the sides. In my opinion the "today" produced pairs live longer.... but I agree they dont get the trashy look of the old U.S.-made pairs.

And - by the way ... my statement of a production of pre-ripped chucks was a little bit ironic:icon_chee

In addition to my previous post:
Differences in trashing two chucks-generations:

Old US-pairs (left two pics):
Sole separation, splitting, fading colour and rotten look

New Chinese/Vietnam-pairs (right two pics):
tearing of the canvas at the rear/sides, poor fading, no sole separation

Attachments

• CV2.jpg
    CV2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1
  • CV1.jpg
    CV1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1
  • USA2.jpg
    USA2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1
  • USA1.jpg
    USA1.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 2

A quotation from an old chucks fan posted on a sneaker fan site:

"This thick rubber sole and sides plus the rigid plastic heel counter make for a rigid shoe. The comfortable, old chuck feel of the USA ones is missing. The art of beating an old pair of Chucks to death is gone. Now the canvas snags and rips, but that is about it. They do get dirty and fade slowly, but little "character" develops as with flopping soles at the heel or toe areas, the loss of piping and its attached rubber runner, and the toes and heels exposed through worn canvas. Gone are the days when the tops of chucks would fray and fade and finally give out a little at a time. The rubber sole would get loose either in front or back, and "killing" the chucks was an art, fun, and never the same from one pair to another."

- nothing to ad .... exept some pics (all nowadays chucks) !

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 2

...still trying to wear out my own black high tops (condition like pic 4, but not so much faded)

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1

... see the disintegrating rubber of the vintage white pair (how old may they be ????)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1

... see the sole of pic4 - I never managed to wear out chucks in this way !

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1

... see the big hole in pic 4 - nowadays chucks rip too early. I am missing the fading colour and the rotten look - No.2 looks better !

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 2

haha YES finally somoene agrees! they rip soooo early! you used to see people walking around with chucks were the soles were totally smooth, and the rubber which was originally white had turned dark brown, filthy beyond imagination, because they were still in one peice! nowadays they cant be worn to the point of ultimate filthyness and smoothness because the canvass simply falls apart!

Actually, i spotted a punky girl at a rock festival the other day who looked like she had worn the same chucks for 10+ years. They were black hightops, but the canvass was really faded, to a brown color and the toecaps and sidewalls were almost black from years of built up stains. They were so worn in, it was like they were moulded to her feet and she walked so hornily, lifting her toes constantly and rolling her feet around. They looked nice and tight, squashy and snug. I followed her around for an hour. Just watching her got too much and i came whilst staring at her ultimate chucks. She was with some friends so i didnt wanna ask to buy them. god i wish she was on her own, i would have offered up to $1000 to take them home, they were beyond anything i had ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom