• All email services are currently down. I hope for a fix within a day

Scotty

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
Old cheesy kids show from the early 70s.The girl Emmy Jo is wearing white keds. Its funny that they dress like modern day hipsters.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Re: New Zoo Revue

"Cheesy" is putting it mildly. But I watched it solely because of Emily Jo Peden (Emmy Jo). She almost always wore knee-high black or white vinyl boots. Occasionally, it was white or black Keds. Find old copies, mute the sound, and enjoy.

Incidentally, she was married to the male host. Lucky guy.

Interesting. I barely ever see or hear of keds being worn back in the 70's. I thought it only became prevalent in 50's and then much later in the 80's/90's. Didn't think keds were in fashion in the 60's or 70's.

In the 60s, Keds dominated as the sneaker of choice for women and girls. There really wasn't another option because wearing converse or pro keds was a no no outside of sports. It started to change in the 70s with the rise in popularity of other brands such as Nike, Vans, and Adidas. Converse didn't become popular with girls until the mid 80s.

Here is how Emmy Jo looks today. She is still married to cohost and creator Doug.

Attachments

• _CDJ3544-Edit-Edit.jpg
    _CDJ3544-Edit-Edit.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0

I thought cons did not become popular with female until the early 90s with Nirvana and the Grunge movement?

Similar to the ancient New Zoo Revue, there's a current kids show on Saturday/Sunday morning TV called "The Chica Show" featuring the lovely Kelly Vrooman (lovely in a wonderful girl-next-door way). She wears purple Keds or Vans with no socks, as they should be worn (admittedly, a personal preference). They're only visible for a few seconds each episode, but it's still a great few seconds. As you will find if you find "New Zoo Revue" the only way to watch "Chica" is with the sound off, but it's worth a look, nonetheless.

Responding to SuperTSC about the rarity of Keds worn in the 1960s and 1970s, yes, they were few and far between. But there was Petticoat Junction (Linda Kaye especially, with an occasional appearance in Keds by Meredith McRae and Lori Saunders). Silly show, but I watched every one of them several times.

Not to mention the incredible Elizabeth Montgomery in many early Bewitched episodes in the mid-1960s.

I was a Keds fan even at the time. I've been a fan of those actresses and Keds ever since.

Don't forget the Dick Van Dike show Mary Tyler Moore wore a navy pair from time to time. Oh the girl on the Chica Show named Carly wears red keds I think?

Yes, Mary Tyler Moore even wore white Keds once or twice on the Dick Van Dyke show. She wore them more often on her own MTM show 1970-77 in the early years in her apartment.

Speaking of early 70s shows, there was a very short-lived comedy called The Governor and J.J. on CBS 1969-71. I distinctly remember it because the lead actress (Julie Sommars) wore black Keds extended out the window of her father's limo in the opening credits. It was a brief but shining moment. Coincidentally, this show was cancelled to make room for All In the Family. Just shows there's no accounting for taste...

Back
Top Bottom