Janice inhaled deeply, her pulse quickening as she prepared to make her approach. The construction site stretched ahead of her like an obstacle course, the silence of the incomplete homes amplifying the thud of her own heartbeat. She didn’t have much time; Jake and his companion had disappeared inside one of the homes, and she needed to act now.

The first set of boards lay in front of her, narrow and teetering slightly under their own weight. But Janice moved with purpose, her white canvas Keds gripping the wood as she carefully picked her way across the path. Her steps were delicately placed, her toes landing first to test the sturdiness before shifting her full weight forward. The boards wobbled now and then, but she adjusted quickly, her arms extending out instinctively to balance herself.

She momentarily admired how well the shoes were holding up, still pristine despite the dust and debris scattered everywhere—there was an odd sense of pride in how clean and cute they still looked. "I knew these were a good choice," she mused to herself. Light, agile, and, most importantly, stylish. After all, it wasn’t just about getting there—it was about making an entrance, a statement. When they saw her, muddy or not, it would be impossible to ignore that she’d made an effort.

She paused for a moment, having traversed most of the dirt piles that littered the job site. There, reflected in the dark screen of her phone, she caught a glimpse of herself—her hair slightly tousled, a few stubborn strands coming loose from her ponytail. She swept them back into place with a few quick, deft movements, smoothing them against her head. "Perfect," she thought, flipping her phone to check her reflection once more. Fragile but controlled, she wanted to look as if she’d stumbled across them by complete accident, looking effortlessly poised despite her day of “shopping.”

Then, she heard it—"love"—Jake’s voice drifting from the window above her, muffled but unmistaken. Her stomach churned. "Alright, time for my entrance." She gritted her teeth, adrenaline pulsing through her veins as she grasped the edge of the nearest wall and prepared to reposition herself under the window.

But the next set of boards was more haphazardly laid than the first, a path messier and narrower. Still, Janice pressed forward, determined to keep her white sneakers impeccable. She grimaced slightly as one board felt less stable underfoot. She daintily sidestepped a muddy patch and gingerly leapt onto the next plank, landing with what she thought was grace.

However, the board wobbled sharply beneath her once her weight fully settled. “C’mon, not now,” she muttered through clenched teeth, quickly trying to regain balance.

It gave way before she could react.

The horror of the moment was instant. The board tipped with a creak, sending her reeling sideways, her arms flailing as she frantically reached for anything to steady herself. But it was too late—gravity yanked her downward, and she screamed, both from surprise and dread. Her breath caught as she landed with a resounding splash in a wide, murky mud puddle that stretched about six inches deep.

It wasn’t a graceful fall. She hit the puddle on her side, the muddy water sloshing over her dress and soaking through the lightweight fabric. As if to add insult to injury, she rolled onto her back, her dress clinging to her mud-slicked skin, her hair a tangled mess against the muck. Her once-pristine white sneakers—and those previously dust-free ankle socks—were now soaked through with muddy water. The worst part? The cold, squelching sensation of the dirt filling her shoes. "No, NO!" she thought desperately, as her beloved Keds were reduced to nothing but muddy canvases.

For a moment, she lay there in thick silence, utterly mortified. What. Just. Happened. She could feel the mud seeping in, the grime coating her neck and seeping down her back. She had wanted to make an appearance, to dazzle them with her composed, accusatory entrance but instead ... instead, she was lying in a filthy puddle, her outfit in tatters, nothing elegant or poised about it.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw motion—Jake and the other woman, hurrying out from inside the house. Oh no, not like this. The humiliation washed over her like a second layer of thick, cloying mud.

“Janice?!” Jake’s voice was filled not with anger or confusion, but pure shock. He rushed over with the “other woman” trailing behind him, her eyes wide with surprise.

Janice could not bring herself to look up immediately. When she finally did, she noticed through the mud-speckled strands of her hair that Jake was extending a hand to help her up. Beside him, the other woman stood politely, almost withdrawn. "This is his girlfriend, isn’t it?" Janice thought bitterly.

But then came the blow she hadn’t been bracing for.

“Janice,” Jake said softly, still stunned. “This ... this is my sister, Sarah.”

Mortified, Janice couldn’t breathe for a second. There was no disguising the horror on her own face, nor the deep flush of humiliation creeping up her neck as she soared from mortified to absolutely humiliated. His sister?

Her voice came out quieter than she meant. “Oh, great. Wonderful to meet you. Really.” Lying there in a puddle of her own investigative failure, Janice managed to croak out a weak, sarcastic response, one that couldn’t even mask her mortification.

And in that muddy pool, in her once-clean sneakers, drenched in filth and embarrassment, she realized the surprise was entirely her own.
Describe Janice retelling the story to her partner, Joan and Joan finding the story hilarious. Have Joan ask questions and interject along the way.

Describe Janice retelling the story to her partner, Joan and Joan finding the story hilarious. Have Joan ask questions and interject along the way.
Janice slumped into the leather armchair across from Joan, the weight of the day’s humiliation still clinging to her like the mud on her ruined Keds. She let out a long sigh, running a hand through her freshly showered hair. Joan, sitting opposite with her feet tucked under her, sipped her tea, her brows raised expectantly.

Janice’s eyes met Joan’s, and a small smirk started to form on her lips despite everything.

“You’re going to love this one,” Janice said, sarcasm thick in her voice.

“Oh God, what happened?” Joan immediately set down her mug, leaning slightly forward in anticipation, a hint of a mischievous grin tugging at the corners of her mouth. Joan loved when Janice's tales of her more impulsive moments unraveled into chaos—it was just Janice’s style, and Joan found it endlessly amusing.

Taking a deep breath, Janice began. “So, I thought Jake was cheating on me. This morning, I followed him—"

Joan’s eyes lit up. "Wait—you followed him?" Joan’s grin was now fully visible, eyes wide with excitement.

“Yes, Joan,” Janice replied, rolling her eyes. “I had this ... this feeling, you know? A gut feeling. So, I followed him from his apartment to this upscale mall.”

Joan gasped overly dramatically. “The classic move! The mall? God, this is getting juicy already. Let me guess, some ridiculously well-dressed bombshell got into his car.”

Janice shook her head, laughing softly. "Nope." She paused for effect, a grin slowly tugging at her lips. “This girl—she was attractive, I'll give her that. But honestly? She was in a plain white sweater, jeans, and get this, blue Brooks running shoes. Not exactly a fashion icon.”

Joan blinked. She held up a hand, her expression caught between disbelief and comedy. "Wait, hold on a second—you thought you were up against someone in running shoes? This already doesn’t seem like your competition.”

Janice huffed. “Exactly! But whatever—so, they pull away, and I follow them all the way out to this weird, half-finished suburban development, right? It looked like it was straight out of a dystopian novel—the houses weren’t even properly done! And that’s when it hit me—this had to be something shady.”

Joan raised an eyebrow, still hanging on Janice’s every word. Her lips twitched—she knew Janice was leading up to something. "Go on…”

“Well,” Janice said, leaning forward, her eyes wide in exaggerated suspense. “I parked down the street, went into full spy mode—and I was convinced Jake was saying something romantic through the window, and I heard him say ‘love’ like... multiple times!”

Joan nearly spit out her tea. “Oh no... Give me the details.”

“So, I figured I needed to get right up to the house—like, under the window—because, y’know, I was going to bust them right in the act or whatever…”

Joan’s grin widened. “Of course, you did. This couldn’t possibly end well.”

Janice sighed before continuing. “And I did—oh, at first, it was all going okay. I was sneaking across these narrow boards placed over mud and construction stuff. Tiptoeing like a ninja—graceful, elegant.”

“Oh, yes. I’m sure you were," Joan said, unable to stifle her giggle now. "In your adorable summer dress and shiny white sneakers, no less. Very undercover spy-ish.

Janice shot her a mock glare. “You’re not wrong. I actually thought to myself at least twice 'Wow, I must look *so cute right now.'*”

Joan cracked up. “Of course you did!”

“Look, feeling good makes a difference in the investigation game!" Janice said, feigning seriousness. But soon, the straight face cracked, and she couldn't help laughing at the absurdity of her own thoughts in that moment. Joan’s laughter was contagious.

“So then, I get close to the house,” Janice continued after regaining some composure, “and I was—get this—checking my reflection on my phone because, y’know, I wasn’t about to blow my cover with messy hair.”

Joan was in stitches now. “Oh wow… Never change, Janice. Please. The killer hair!”

“And just as I thought I was about to overhear the final, heart-shattering confession of betrayal…” Janice dramatically paused, eyes twinkling with self-deprecating humor, “the damn board I was standing on tipped!”

Joan’s laugh bubbled into full-on cackling now. “Nooooo! No, it didn’t!”

“Oh, it did,” Janice sighed, throwing up her hands. “One second I’m balanced on this tiny little board like a runway model in a spy movie, the next—SPLASH—I’m in literally the biggest mud puddle you can imagine.”

Joan dropped her head into her hands, laughing uncontrollably. “Wait, you fell into mud? In your dress? Oh my God, please tell me it covered you from head to toe.”

“Oh, Joan,” Janice said, mockingly clutching her chest. “It was everywhere. My dress? Mud-soaked. My white Keds? Completely destroyed. Even my hair—I had mud in my hair!” She punctuated that with a mock-scream, perfectly imitating her initial reaction.

Joan leaned back, laughter still bubbling between her words. “Oh God, this is too good. What happened when Jake saw you?!”

Janice groaned and covered her face for effect. “He came rushing out— the girl too! I was lying there in this puddle of filth, like some sad wreck, and he’s like, 'Janice?!' And the best part?” She looked at Joan, smiling but cringing at the memory. “He introduces her as his sister. Yep, sister. His damn sister, Joan.”

Joan let out the loudest belly laugh and fell sideways onto the couch. “Aaaah! I knew there was a ridiculous twist! You thought you were about to bust him with some mystery woman… and it’s his sister!”

Flushing slightly but laughing alongside Joan now, Janice continued. “And here I was, covered in mud, trying to play it cool—like it was no big deal—and all I can think is, ‘I look like a comic strip character who just fell into a sewer grate.’”

“Oh my God,” Joan gasped between laughs, tears forming at the corners of her eyes. “Please tell me you said something snarky or clever.”

“I tried!” Janice said, leaning back into the chair, shaking her head. “But all I managed was to croak out something like, ‘Oh great, nice to meet you,’ while completely covered in filth. I just... I don’t know how I even managed to walk to my car after that.”

Joan wiped her eyes and held her sides, still trying to control her laughter. “Janice, seriously, I’m crying. You’ve made my day.”

Janice rolled her eyes, though the smirk pulling at her lips combined with her flushed cheeks said otherwise. “Yeah, well—congrats on enjoying my personal breakdown.”

“Oh, girl,” Joan said as she stood up and gave Janice a sympathetic shoulder pat, “this was a top-tier meltdown. Epic adventure. And honestly? You’ll always have a story to tell now. The time you tried to play detective and fell into a puddle while spying on your boyfriend and his sister? I mean, that’s the kind of stuff people write sitcoms about.”

Janice shook her head, smiling despite herself. “Well, at least it's your entertainment for the week.”

Joan grinned. “Month. Let’s be real here. Month.

Janice slumped into the leather armchair across from Joan, the weight of the day’s humiliation still clinging to her like the mud on her ruined Keds. She let out a long sigh, running a hand through her freshly showered hair. Joan, sitting opposite with her feet tucked under her, sipped her tea, her brows raised expectantly.

Janice’s eyes met Joan’s, and a small smirk started to form on her lips despite everything.

“You’re going to love this one,” Janice said, sarcasm thick in her voice.

“Oh God, what happened?” Joan immediately set down her mug, leaning slightly forward in anticipation, a hint of a mischievous grin tugging at the corners of her mouth. Joan loved when Janice's tales of her more impulsive moments unraveled into chaos—it was just Janice’s style, and Joan found it endlessly amusing.

Taking a deep breath, Janice began. “So, I thought Jake was cheating on me. This morning, I followed him—"

Joan’s eyes lit up. "Wait—you followed him?" Joan’s grin was now fully visible, eyes wide with excitement.

“Yes, Joan,” Janice replied, rolling her eyes. “I had this ... this feeling, you know? A gut feeling. So, I followed him from his apartment to this upscale mall.”

Joan gasped overly dramatically. “The classic move! The mall? God, this is getting juicy already. Let me guess, some ridiculously well-dressed bombshell got into his car.”

Janice shook her head, laughing softly. "Nope." She paused for effect, a grin slowly tugging at her lips. “This girl—she was attractive, I'll give her that. But honestly? She was in a plain white sweater, jeans, and get this, blue Brooks running shoes. Not exactly a fashion icon.”

Joan blinked. She held up a hand, her expression caught between disbelief and comedy. "Wait, hold on a second—you thought you were up against someone in running shoes? This already doesn’t seem like your competition.”

Janice huffed. “Exactly! But whatever—so, they pull away, and I follow them all the way out to this weird, half-finished suburban development, right? It looked like it was straight out of a dystopian novel—the houses weren’t even properly done! And that’s when it hit me—this had to be something shady.”

Joan raised an eyebrow, still hanging on Janice’s every word. Her lips twitched—she knew Janice was leading up to something. "Go on…”

“Well,” Janice said, leaning forward, her eyes wide in exaggerated suspense. “I parked down the street, went into full spy mode—and I was convinced Jake was saying something romantic through the window, and I heard him say ‘love’ like... multiple times!”

Joan nearly spit out her tea. “Oh no... Give me the details.”

“So, I figured I needed to get right up to the house—like, under the window—because, y’know, I was going to bust them right in the act or whatever…”

Joan’s grin widened. “Of course, you did. This couldn’t possibly end well.”

Janice sighed before continuing. “And I did—oh, at first, it was all going okay. I was sneaking across these narrow boards placed over mud and construction stuff. Tiptoeing like a ninja—graceful, elegant.”

“Oh, yes. I’m sure you were," Joan said, unable to stifle her giggle now. "In your adorable summer dress and shiny white sneakers, no less. Very undercover spy-ish.

Janice shot her a mock glare. “You’re not wrong. I actually thought to myself at least twice 'Wow, I must look so cute right now.'

Joan cracked up. “Of course you did!”

“Look, feeling good makes a difference in the investigation game!" Janice said, feigning seriousness. But soon, the straight face cracked, and she couldn't help laughing at the absurdity of her own thoughts in that moment. Joan’s laughter was contagious.

“So then, I get close to the house,” Janice continued after regaining some composure, “and I was—get this—checking my reflection on my phone because, y’know, I wasn’t about to blow my cover with messy hair.”

Joan was in stitches now. “Oh wow… Never change, Janice. Please. The killer hair!”

“And just as I thought I was about to overhear the final, heart-shattering confession of betrayal…” Janice dramatically paused, eyes twinkling with self-deprecating humor, “the damn board I was standing on tipped!”

Joan’s laugh bubbled into full-on cackling now. “Nooooo! No, it didn’t!”

“Oh, it did,” Janice sighed, throwing up her hands. “One second I’m balanced on this tiny little board like a runway model in a spy movie, the next—SPLASH—I’m in literally the biggest mud puddle you can imagine.”

Joan dropped her head into her hands, laughing uncontrollably. “Wait, you fell into mud? In your dress? Oh my God, please tell me it covered you from head to toe.”

“Oh, Joan,” Janice said, mockingly clutching her chest. “It was everywhere. My dress? Mud-soaked. My white Keds? Completely destroyed. Even my hair—I had mud in my hair!” She punctuated that with a mock-scream, perfectly imitating her initial reaction.

Joan leaned back, laughter still bubbling between her words. “Oh God, this is too good. What happened when Jake saw you?!”

Janice groaned and covered her face for effect. “He came rushing out— the girl too! I was lying there in this puddle of filth, like some sad wreck, and he’s like, 'Janice?!' And the best part?” She looked at Joan, smiling but cringing at the memory. “He introduces her as his sister. Yep, sister. His damn sister, Joan.”

Joan let out the loudest belly laugh and fell sideways onto the couch. “Aaaah! I knew there was a ridiculous twist! You thought you were about to bust him with some mystery woman… and it’s his sister!”

Flushing slightly but laughing alongside Joan now, Janice continued. “And here I was, covered in mud, trying to play it cool—like it was no big deal—and all I can think is, ‘I look like a comic strip character who just fell into a sewer grate.’”

“Oh my God,” Joan gasped between laughs, tears forming at the corners of her eyes. “Please tell me you said something snarky or clever.”

“I tried!” Janice said, leaning back into the chair, shaking her head. “But all I managed was to croak out something like, ‘Oh great, nice to meet you,’ while completely covered in filth. I just... I don’t know how I even managed to walk to my car after that.”

Joan wiped her eyes and held her sides, still trying to control her laughter. “Janice, seriously, I’m crying. You’ve made my day.”

Janice rolled her eyes, though the smirk pulling at her lips combined with her flushed cheeks said otherwise. “Yeah, well—congrats on enjoying my personal breakdown.”

“Oh, girl,” Joan said as she stood up and gave Janice a sympathetic shoulder pat, “this was a top-tier meltdown. Epic adventure. And honestly? You’ll always have a story to tell now. The time you tried to play detective and fell into a puddle while spying on your boyfriend and his sister? I mean, that’s the kind of stuff people write sitcoms about.”

Janice shook her head, smiling despite herself. “Well, at least it's your entertainment for the week.”

Joan grinned. “Month. Let’s be real here. Month.
Janice asked Joan, “you know me pretty well. Can you imagine me getting out of the car at the construction site and traversing the site on boards and blocks making sure to stay spotless, checking my reflection and then falling into the mud? Tell me how you picture that unfolding.”

Janice asked Joan, “you know me pretty well. Can you imagine me getting out of the car at the construction site and traversing the site on boards and blocks making sure to stay spotless, checking my reflection and then falling into the mud? Tell me how you picture that unfolding.”
Janice leaned back in her chair, tossing Joan a knowing look before she spoke. “Okay, Joan. Let’s be real. You know me pretty well. Can you imagine me—dressed to kill in a summer dress and white Keds—getting out of the car at the construction site, traversing the area like I’m auditioning for Survivor, tiptoeing across boards and blocks like they’re tightropes, making sure to stay spotless, checking my reflection in my phone every five steps because heaven forbid a strand of hair is out of place—"

Janice paused dramatically, giving Joan a look of mock horror, “—and then, [*obviously*], falling face-first into six inches of mud?”

Joan had already started snickering, her hand covering her mouth as she tried, and failed, to compose herself. After a few seconds of controlling her laughter—in vain, mostly—Joan sat up straight and clapped her hands together.

“Oh, honey...” Joan was already wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. “I can see it all unfolding, and I am living for it.”

She dramatically put her hand on her chin, squinting as if imagining the scene unfolded in front of her like an epic comedy short.

“First of all,” Joan began, grinning from ear to ear, “I know the Janice walk of determination. You would have sashayed out of that car like a woman on a mission—eyes locked, laser focus, absolutely ready to blow this thing wide open. In your mind, you’re Jennifer Lopez in an action movie, but with far better shoes—even though it’s just a construction site and, y’know, half-finished homes.”

Janice laughed and shook her head at how accurate Joan’s description was already.

“And you’d be like… so careful. I can picture you stepping on the narrow boards, doing that little ‘ooh’ sound every time one wobbles just a tiny bit under your feet, but still going for it like a damn gymnast at the Olympics. If anyone was watching, they’d think you were performing some kind of weird balance beam routine. Like, sure, there’s literal mud everywhere, but somehow, [*somehow*], you’re still the most fashionable person in half a square mile.”

“Obviously!” Janice interjected, playing along. “First rule of spying—I have to look good doing it.”

Joan nodded, continuing her story with gusto. “And of course, we cannot, cannot forget the hair check! You’ve gotta stop at least three times—right in midsneak—just to pull out your phone, tilt your head a little, make sure you’re still the picture of perfection. Because as we all know, nothing says ‘effective covert mission’ like a perfectly placed ponytail.”

“Joan, it was… necessary, okay? I couldn’t let my hair ruin my moment of glory!” Janice shot back playfully.

Joan held up a hand, grinning. “Oh, trust me, darling—I get it. And then, once you’re juuuuust about there, you hear the magic word—love.

Joan waved her hands in the air dramatically. “‘Ah-ha,’ you think to yourself, ‘I’ve got him! This is it! Time to make my entrance, looking like a goddess of truth and justice!' But nooooo…”

Joan burst into another round of giggles just imagining what came next. “You take that final step—your head all full of righteous fury and a beautifully executed call-out speech—and the universe just… says ‘nope.’”

Janice was already laughing, shaking her head in mock disappointment. “Oh man, did it ever.”

“No matter how gracefully you’d glided up until that point,” Joan continued, “that board, that specific board, betrays you as fast as a soap opera twist. The moment you put your foot down, it’s like, ‘TRAPDOOR, DRAMA QUEEN!’ And... splat.

*Next thing you know, you’re lying in six inches of mud like you’re making sad, sad snow angels, your dress absolutely soaked. And those cute shoes you loved so much?” Joan snickered, pointing to Janice’s now-cleaned Keds. “Say goodbye, darling—they’re sliding down into Muddy Purgatory.”

“I mean, what was the point of even trying to keep them spotless at that point?!” Janice added, rolling her eyes, playing along with Joan’s vivid retelling.

Joan dissolved into fits of laughter again. “Oh trust me, I can hear the scream. It wasn’t even a scared scream. It was a ‘NO, my shoes!’ scream. Probably loud enough to get the workers on the other side of the development to look.”

Janice couldn’t hold back her laughter either, her cheeks hurting from smiling so much. “It was the most pitiful scream, wasn’t it? Like—look what you’ve done, world! How could you betray me like this?!

“Oh, absolutely,” Joan grinned, wiping away another rogue tear from her cheek. “And then of course, Jake and his supposed ‘other woman’—his sister,!” Joan made air quotes, chuckling, “come rushing out, and you’re there like… some horror movie victim, absolutely drenched in your own failure to execute the world’s most amateur spy mission.”

“And they just stared,” Janice said, shaking her head dramatically. “Like, ‘Who is this mysterious woman… who is apparently made of mud.’”

Joan gasped, holding her sides. “And then you try to be graceful about it. Like, ’Oh... um… hey, nice to meet you. I’m just going to... lay here for a minute.’”

Janice mocked an exaggerated sigh and let her head fall back. “Exactly! I turned all of that effort into muddy tragedy.

Joan raised her hands in surrender and then clapped them together once more. “Janice, my beautiful disaster—what a tale. You’ve officially cemented yourself as a legend... in the mud.

Janice leaned back in her chair, tossing Joan a knowing look before she spoke. “Okay, Joan. Let’s be real. You know me pretty well. Can you imagine me—dressed to kill in a summer dress and white Keds—getting out of the car at the construction site, traversing the area like I’m auditioning for Survivor, tiptoeing across boards and blocks like they’re tightropes, making sure to stay spotless, checking my reflection in my phone every five steps because heaven forbid a strand of hair is out of place—"

Janice paused dramatically, giving Joan a look of mock horror, “—and then, [*obviously*], falling face-first into six inches of mud?”

Joan had already started snickering, her hand covering her mouth as she tried, and failed, to compose herself. After a few seconds of controlling her laughter—in vain, mostly—Joan sat up straight and clapped her hands together.

“Oh, honey...” Joan was already wiping a tear from the corner of her eye. “I can see it all unfolding, and I am living for it.”

She dramatically put her hand on her chin, squinting as if imagining the scene unfolded in front of her like an epic comedy short.

“First of all,” Joan began, grinning from ear to ear, “I know the Janice walk of determination. You would have sashayed out of that car like a woman on a mission—eyes locked, laser focus, absolutely ready to blow this thing wide open. In your mind, you’re Jennifer Lopez in an action movie, but with far better shoes—even though it’s just a construction site and, y’know, half-finished homes.”

Janice laughed and shook her head at how accurate Joan’s description was already.

“And you’d be like… so careful. I can picture you stepping on the narrow boards, doing that little ‘ooh’ sound every time one wobbles just a tiny bit under your feet, but still going for it like a damn gymnast at the Olympics. If anyone was watching, they’d think you were performing some kind of weird balance beam routine. Like, sure, there’s literal mud everywhere, but somehow, [*somehow*], you’re still the most fashionable person in half a square mile.”

“Obviously!” Janice interjected, playing along. “First rule of spying—I have to look good doing it.”

Joan nodded, continuing her story with gusto. “And of course, we cannot, cannot forget the hair check! You’ve gotta stop at least three times—right in midsneak—just to pull out your phone, tilt your head a little, make sure you’re still the picture of perfection. Because as we all know, nothing says ‘effective covert mission’ like a perfectly placed ponytail.”

“Joan, it was… necessary, okay? I couldn’t let my hair ruin my moment of glory!” Janice shot back playfully.

Joan held up a hand, grinning. “Oh, trust me, darling—I get it. And then, once you’re juuuuust about there, you hear the magic word—love.

Joan waved her hands in the air dramatically. “‘Ah-ha,’ you think to yourself, ‘I’ve got him! This is it! Time to make my entrance, looking like a goddess of truth and justice!' But nooooo…”

Joan burst into another round of giggles just imagining what came next. “You take that final step—your head all full of righteous fury and a beautifully executed call-out speech—and the universe just… says ‘nope.’”

Janice was already laughing, shaking her head in mock disappointment. “Oh man, did it ever.”

“No matter how gracefully you’d glided up until that point,” Joan continued, “that board, that specific board, betrays you as fast as a soap opera twist. The moment you put your foot down, it’s like, ‘TRAPDOOR, DRAMA QUEEN!’ And... splat.

*Next thing you know, you’re lying in six inches of mud like you’re making sad, sad snow angels, your dress absolutely soaked. And those cute shoes you loved so much?” Joan snickered, pointing to Janice’s now-cleaned Keds. “Say goodbye, darling—they’re sliding down into Muddy Purgatory.”

“I mean, what was the point of even trying to keep them spotless at that point?!” Janice added, rolling her eyes, playing along with Joan’s vivid retelling.

Joan dissolved into fits of laughter again. “Oh trust me, I can hear the scream. It wasn’t even a scared scream. It was a ‘NO, my shoes!’ scream. Probably loud enough to get the workers on the other side of the development to look.”

Janice couldn’t hold back her laughter either, her cheeks hurting from smiling so much. “It was the most pitiful scream, wasn’t it? Like—look what you’ve done, world! How could you betray me like this?!

“Oh, absolutely,” Joan grinned, wiping away another rogue tear from her cheek. “And then of course, Jake and his supposed ‘other woman’—his sister,!” Joan made air quotes, chuckling, “come rushing out, and you’re there like… some horror movie victim, absolutely drenched in your own failure to execute the world’s most amateur spy mission.”

“And they just stared,” Janice said, shaking her head dramatically. “Like, ‘Who is this mysterious woman… who is apparently made of mud.’”

Joan gasped, holding her sides. “And then you try to be graceful about it. Like, ’Oh... um… hey, nice to meet you. I’m just going to... lay here for a minute.’”

Janice mocked an exaggerated sigh and let her head fall back. “Exactly! I turned all of that effort into muddy tragedy.

Joan raised her hands in surrender and then clapped them together once more. “Janice, my beautiful disaster—what a tale. You’ve officially cemented yourself as a legend... in the mud.
Be honest, would you have laughed at me? Why? You know, I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty.

Be honest, would you have laughed at me? Why? You know, I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty.
Joan wiped the last tear of laughter from her cheek, still chuckling. She looked at Janice with a wide grin, but the joking in her eyes softened a little.

“Oh, honey, of course I would have laughed. Are you kidding me?” Joan sat up straight, putting on her best 'serious' face. “I mean, think about it. You, in a summer dress, skipping across planks like you’re in a real-life game of ‘The Floor Is Lava,’ carefully trying not to get a speck of dirt on your Keds because, God forbid, they get a scratch. And then, [*boom!*], you disappear into the mud like it’s the punchline of a sitcom? Yeah, I’d be laughing. Not at you, per se—it’s more like… well, with you because, let’s admit it, that’s some straight-up slapstick comedy!”

Janice shot her a mock glare, though she clearly wasn’t surprised. "Yeah, hilarious." She exaggerated the sarcasm, though the corner of her mouth twitched upward. “Please, explain how you'd manage to find it funny when I looked like a half-drowned raccoon in the middle of some housing development…”

Joan laughed again, shaking her head. “Oh, Janice, you weren’t even dressed for it!” She paused, eyes twinkling as she raised an eyebrow. “You were dressed for a mall date, not a spy mission, for god’s sake! Like, what exactly was the plan? Stride up to them with the wind dramatically blowing your hair, looking absolutely flawless, and launch into your 'I caught you' speech? Of course, I’d laugh—because it’s so you. You would absolutely try to catch someone red-handed looking like a poster girl for an athleisure ad!”

Janice couldn’t help it anymore. She burst out laughing too. “Okay, fine, fine. Yeah. Maybe not my finest moment in terms of planning ahead.”

Joan leaned in a little, her grin widening. “Can you imagine if you'd actually managed to confront them, strutting out all clean and perfect like? But noooo—the universe just decided, ‘Janice, you cannot have this moment,’ and splat. Into the mud you go, with an audience! I mean, if I had seen that with my own eyes, how could I not laugh?! And to make matters worse, the woman you thought was the other woman turns out to be—dun, dun, dun—his sister?!”

Janice groaned at the reminder, although she was still laughing. “Yes, Joan. His sister. Can you believe it? What kind of cosmic joke even is that?”

Joan shook her head slowly, still amused. “Only you could turn some massive dramatic confrontation into a muddy soap opera disaster by accident. That’s what makes it funny, babe. I’d probably laugh until my sides hurt. But… you’d be laughing with me, because you know you’d see how ridiculous the whole situation was, right? I know you weren’t dressed for getting dirty. But trust me, if you’d seen it happen to someone else? You’d crack up too. Admit it!”

“Fair," Janice said, still holding back a giggle. "I’ll admit, if it were someone else, I'd probably laugh until my mascara was ruined.”

“There it is!” Joan clapped her hands in triumph. “See? How can I not find your ridiculous expedition across construction planks hilarious? It’s just—you. You weren’t supposed to get dirty, not in that killer dress and those spotless Keds, but you did. And yet, you’re here, clean now and laughing your ass off with me. Only you could survive something like this with just muddy clothes and an amazing story.”

Janice sighed, her mouth quirking into a smirk again. “Okay, okay. I’ll let you have this laugh, Joan. But you owe me a new pair of Keds!”

Joan raised a finger triumphantly. “Deal—as long as I get to tell everyone this story at brunch tomorrow!”

“Oh, you wouldn’t."

Try me.” Joan winked.

Janice just shook her head, still laughing.

Can’t
Joan wiped the last tear of laughter from her cheek, still chuckling. She looked at Janice with a wide grin, but the joking in her eyes softened a little.

“Oh, honey, of course I would have laughed. Are you kidding me?” Joan sat up straight, putting on her best 'serious' face. “I mean, think about it. You, in a summer dress, skipping across planks like you’re in a real-life game of ‘The Floor Is Lava,’ carefully trying not to get a speck of dirt on your Keds because, God forbid, they get a scratch. And then, [*boom!*], you disappear into the mud like it’s the punchline of a sitcom? Yeah, I’d be laughing. Not at you, per se—it’s more like… well, with you because, let’s admit it, that’s some straight-up slapstick comedy!”

Janice shot her a mock glare, though she clearly wasn’t surprised. "Yeah, hilarious." She exaggerated the sarcasm, though the corner of her mouth twitched upward. “Please, explain how you'd manage to find it funny when I looked like a half-drowned raccoon in the middle of some housing development…”

Joan laughed again, shaking her head. “Oh, Janice, you weren’t even dressed for it!” She paused, eyes twinkling as she raised an eyebrow. “You were dressed for a mall date, not a spy mission, for god’s sake! Like, what exactly was the plan? Stride up to them with the wind dramatically blowing your hair, looking absolutely flawless, and launch into your 'I caught you' speech? Of course, I’d laugh—because it’s so you. You would absolutely try to catch someone red-handed looking like a poster girl for an athleisure ad!”

Janice couldn’t help it anymore. She burst out laughing too. “Okay, fine, fine. Yeah. Maybe not my finest moment in terms of planning ahead.”

Joan leaned in a little, her grin widening. “Can you imagine if you'd actually managed to confront them, strutting out all clean and perfect like? But noooo—the universe just decided, ‘Janice, you cannot have this moment,’ and splat. Into the mud you go, with an audience! I mean, if I had seen that with my own eyes, how could I not laugh?! And to make matters worse, the woman you thought was the other woman turns out to be—dun, dun, dun—his sister?!”

Janice groaned at the reminder, although she was still laughing. “Yes, Joan. His sister. Can you believe it? What kind of cosmic joke even is that?”

Joan shook her head slowly, still amused. “Only you could turn some massive dramatic confrontation into a muddy soap opera disaster by accident. That’s what makes it funny, babe. I’d probably laugh until my sides hurt. But… you’d be laughing with me, because you know you’d see how ridiculous the whole situation was, right? I know you weren’t dressed for getting dirty. But trust me, if you’d seen it happen to someone else? You’d crack up too. Admit it!”

“Fair," Janice said, still holding back a giggle. "I’ll admit, if it were someone else, I'd probably laugh until my mascara was ruined.”

“There it is!” Joan clapped her hands in triumph. “See? How can I not find your ridiculous expedition across construction planks hilarious? It’s just—you. You weren’t supposed to get dirty, not in that killer dress and those spotless Keds, but you did. And yet, you’re here, clean now and laughing your ass off with me. Only you could survive something like this with just muddy clothes and an amazing story.”

Janice sighed, her mouth quirking into a smirk again. “Okay, okay. I’ll let you have this laugh, Joan. But you owe me a new pair of Keds!”

Joan raised a finger triumphantly. “Deal—as long as I get to tell everyone this story at brunch tomorrow!”

“Oh, you wouldn’t."

Try me.” Joan winked.

Janice just shook her head, still laughin
Can you picture my immaculate Keds striding across the boards, balancing on the cinder blocks and on that final board? Crisp. Clean.

Then , moments later them filled with muddy water and squishing with every step?

Can you picture my immaculate Keds striding across the boards, balancing on the cinder blocks and on that final board? Crisp. Clean.

Then , moments later them filled with muddy water and squishing with every step?
Joan leaned back, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she sat up and grinned. “Oh, Janice, I can picture it so clearly. Like, embarrassingly clearly. Think about it: your Keds—so crisp, so clean, it’s like they’re auditioning for a sneaker commercial. They practically squeak with newness, right? Striding across those narrow boards like they’re your runway.”

Janice watched, half grinning, as Joan’s hands began to move, mimicking every delicate and cautious step.

“First, you step onto that first board,” Joan said, gesturing with imaginary precision. “Your Keds landing perfectly flat, not even a millimeter of dirt daring to touch them. You’re all careful—which, knowing you, means there’s probably a little huff every time the boards wobble under you, but you soldier on!”

Janice couldn’t help but chuckle. “I was pretty focused on keeping them pristine.”

“Oh, trust me, I know," Joan replied, nodding dramatically. She continued, making her voice even more exaggerated. "And then there you are, balancing on those cinder blocks—like a damn ninja, hopping from block to block like they’re lily pads in a pond of danger. All the while making sure those Keds are still sparkling. Not a scratch.”

Janice covered her face, laughing. “It was like a real-life don’t touch the floor game.”

“Exactly! And believe me, in that moment, you nailed it. Every careful, tiptoeing step, looking like the most stylish construction-site acrobat there ever was,” Joan continued theatrically. "But then, you hit that last board." Joan paused dramatically, arching an eyebrow as if narrating some epic thriller. “Oh, that final board. And of course, Ms. Perfect Keds is thinking, 'No problem, just one more step, and I'm golden.'”

“You know me too well,” Janice said, shaking her head, though a smile was still plastered on her face.

“And that's when it happens.” Joan slapped her thigh for emphasis. “It tilts! The world tilts with it!” She widened her eyes, feigning horror. “Nooooo! My perfect Keds!

Now leaning forward, Joan clapped her hands together. “Suddenly, the board betrays you. One second you’re on cloud nine, and the next—SPLASH—the Keds are in full immersive mud therapy!”

Janice erupted into laughter, the mental image too perfect. “Ugh, Joan, it literally felt like slow motion horror!”

“Oh, I can picture it perfectly,” Joan said, continuing with zest. “Your feet disappearing into the mud crater like you’ve entered a swamp from an adventure movie. And soon? Squish.” Joan made a mock squelching sound, like trudging through wet sand, while dramatically pretending to slosh her foot through mud.

“Every step after that was just… ruinous, wasn’t it?” Joan teased, leaning forward. “That beautiful, crisp white canvas, the soft rubber soles… now they’re more like portable mud buckets. And you’re walking—no—wading through the mess. Feeling them squish, water sloshing between your toes like it’s some kind of tragic spa day.”

Janice was laughing so hard it was difficult to catch her breath. “You have no idea how accurate that is! I didn’t even care about the rest of me! I just kept thinking, ‘This ruined my shoes… my perfect Keds!’”

“I’m sorry,” Joan said, clutching her sides as tears of laughter welled in her eyes. “But nothing—and I mean nothing—is funnier than imagining you coming face-to-face with Jake, squishing your way towards him, mud dripping from your hair, but still all worried about your shoes. Every step, just a squelch, squelch, like wet sponges under your feet.”

Janice threw her hands in the air, joining the madness. “And meanwhile, I’m trying to piece together a coherent sentence while I’m thinking, ‘Why me?!.’ Why must this always happen to me?!” She mimicked the sound of the repetitive squish, dramatically stomping her feet in place on the floor.

Joan couldn’t stop laughing now, her voice breaking as she managed, “You—Ms. Always Put Together—squishing across the site like you’re walking in rain boots filled with Jell-O. God, I wish I’d been there!”

Janice shook her head with faux exasperation, but she couldn’t keep the smile off her face. “Honestly, it was such a stupid situation… but yeah, I probably would’ve laughed too if I were watching. Just watching my perfectly clean Keds drown in muddy defeat.”

“Total defeat,” Joan agreed, still wiping away tears. “Beautiful, tragic, squishy defeat.

Joan leaned back, her eyes sparkling with amusement as she sat up and grinned. “Oh, Janice, I can picture it so clearly. Like, embarrassingly clearly. Think about it: your Keds—so crisp, so clean, it’s like they’re auditioning for a sneaker commercial. They practically squeak with newness, right? Striding across those narrow boards like they’re your runway.”

Janice watched, half grinning, as Joan’s hands began to move, mimicking every delicate and cautious step.

“First, you step onto that first board,” Joan said, gesturing with imaginary precision. “Your Keds landing perfectly flat, not even a millimeter of dirt daring to touch them. You’re all careful—which, knowing you, means there’s probably a little huff every time the boards wobble under you, but you soldier on!”

Janice couldn’t help but chuckle. “I was pretty focused on keeping them pristine.”

“Oh, trust me, I know," Joan replied, nodding dramatically. She continued, making her voice even more exaggerated. "And then there you are, balancing on those cinder blocks—like a damn ninja, hopping from block to block like they’re lily pads in a pond of danger. All the while making sure those Keds are still sparkling. Not a scratch.”

Janice covered her face, laughing. “It was like a real-life don’t touch the floor game.”

“Exactly! And believe me, in that moment, you nailed it. Every careful, tiptoeing step, looking like the most stylish construction-site acrobat there ever was,” Joan continued theatrically. "But then, you hit that last board." Joan paused dramatically, arching an eyebrow as if narrating some epic thriller. “Oh, that final board. And of course, Ms. Perfect Keds is thinking, 'No problem, just one more step, and I'm golden.'”

“You know me too well,” Janice said, shaking her head, though a smile was still plastered on her face.

“And that's when it happens.” Joan slapped her thigh for emphasis. “It tilts! The world tilts with it!” She widened her eyes, feigning horror. “Nooooo! My perfect Keds!

Now leaning forward, Joan clapped her hands together. “Suddenly, the board betrays you. One second you’re on cloud nine, and the next—SPLASH—the Keds are in full immersive mud therapy!”

Janice erupted into laughter, the mental image too perfect. “Ugh, Joan, it literally felt like slow motion horror!”

“Oh, I can picture it perfectly,” Joan said, continuing with zest. “Your feet disappearing into the mud crater like you’ve entered a swamp from an adventure movie. And soon? Squish.” Joan made a mock squelching sound, like trudging through wet sand, while dramatically pretending to slosh her foot through mud.

“Every step after that was just… ruinous, wasn’t it?” Joan teased, leaning forward. “That beautiful, crisp white canvas, the soft rubber soles… now they’re more like portable mud buckets. And you’re walking—no—wading through the mess. Feeling them squish, water sloshing between your toes like it’s some kind of tragic spa day.”

Janice was laughing so hard it was difficult to catch her breath. “You have no idea how accurate that is! I didn’t even care about the rest of me! I just kept thinking, ‘This ruined my shoes… my perfect Keds!’”

“I’m sorry,” Joan said, clutching her sides as tears of laughter welled in her eyes. “But nothing—and I mean nothing—is funnier than imagining you coming face-to-face with Jake, squishing your way towards him, mud dripping from your hair, but still all worried about your shoes. Every step, just a squelch, squelch, like wet sponges under your feet.”

Janice threw her hands in the air, joining the madness. “And meanwhile, I’m trying to piece together a coherent sentence while I’m thinking, ‘Why me?!.’ Why must this always happen to me?!” She mimicked the sound of the repetitive squish, dramatically stomping her feet in place on the floor.

Joan couldn’t stop laughing now, her voice breaking as she managed, “You—Ms. Always Put Together—squishing across the site like you’re walking in rain boots filled with Jell-O. God, I wish I’d been there!”

Janice shook her head with faux exasperation, but she couldn’t keep the smile off her face. “Honestly, it was such a stupid situation… but yeah, I probably would’ve laughed too if I were watching. Just watching my perfectly clean Keds drown in muddy defeat.”

“Total defeat,” Joan agreed, still wiping away tears. “Beautiful, tragic, squishy defeat.
Didn’t we know a girl in law school that had an epic wipe out in the mud while wearing her new Keds ? I don’t remember the details. How did that happen?

Didn’t we know a girl in law school that had an epic wipe out in the mud while wearing her new Keds ? I don’t remember the details. How did that happen?
Joan paused mid-laugh, snapping her fingers as the memory clicked into place. "Oh my God, Janice, yes! How could we forget about that?" Her eyes widened as the story came rushing back. "It was Julia, remember? The whole thing was legendary. Poor girl became campus folklore for, like, a month."

Janice sat up straighter, now fully intrigued. "Julia! Yes! I knew it was someone. But what happened exactly? My brain’s a little scrambled after all this."

Joan covered her mouth, trying to suppress a fresh wave of laughter. “Okay, so this was toward the end of our second year, right? Julia was late for Professor Stone’s ethics class—"

“Oh no,” Janice interjected, knowing that Professor Stone was not someone you wanted to be late for. His reputation for sarcasm and cold stares was known to all, which added immediate weight to the story.

“Exactly! So, you know how stressed we all were. Julia rushed out of the law library to run across campus, but it had rained that morning. Heavy rain. Everything was still wet, but she had a new pair of those shiny white Keds on—like, brand new... first day wearing them.”

Janice groaned in sympathetic pain. “Oh no, the new Keds! That’s always when disaster strikes.”

Joan nodded dramatically. “Yeah, you could already tell it was a recipe for disaster. So she’s booking it across the quad, and instead of taking her usual route, she decides she can save, what, thirty seconds if she cuts between Barker Hall and the campus garden. You know the one—just wide enough for a shortcut if you're desperate."

Janice’s eyes went wide, practically feeling the impending doom. "Oh no... the garden! Wasn't that area still all muddy from the rain that week?"

Exactly!" Joan smirked, timing her next word perfectly. "Muddy, and they’d overwatered the lawn because there was that one random 70-degree day the week before. Anyway, poor Julia,” Joan mimicked running with her arms flailing, “she just barrels through, jumping over puddles like an athlete, probably thinking she nailed the shortcut.”

Janice covered her mouth, already feeling second-hand embarrassment. “No, no, nooooo, this isn’t going to end well.”

Joan leaned forward for maximum effect. “And then it happened—right in the middle of that garden path, she hits a huge patch of slick mud. SLIPS. Both legs fly into the air. She somehow pulls a full-on cartoon, arms waving around for balance, except…” Joan let out a snort, “there was no recovering.”

Janice gasped, “She fell? Into the mud? How bad was the damage?”

“Oh, the damage was catastrophic, babe,” Joan said, shaking her head in mock sadness. “We’re talking full wipeout. Her back hits the ground—splat—and she slides through the mud about three feet. And let me tell you, those Keds? Absolutely annihilated. By the time she scrambled up? They were more mud than shoe." Joan laughed. "Everything was covered in mud. Julia herself looked like she survived a mudslide.”

Janice coughed out a surprised laugh, covering her mouth even though she couldn’t stop giggling. “Of course! Head to toe, right? And in front of everyone on the quad? That would be my worst nightmare.”

“Oh, and get this,” Joan said, wiping at her eyes again from laughing so hard. “You know what makes it even worse? She still tried to make it to class! Girl marched herself into Stone's 15 minutes late, covered in mud, holding her laptop by the corner like it had become radioactive because it landed in the mud with her. Everyone just stared at her like she had just crawled out of some swamp.”

“Oh god,” Janice winced, clutching her stomach from laughing so much. “And how did Stone react? He’s the type to just destroy anyone.”

Joan gasped, trying to catch her breath. “Stone didn’t say anything. You know his death glare, right? He just looked her up and down—slowly—and then all he said was, ‘Ms. Jacobs, would you care to explain why you appear to have been recently attacked by nature?’”

Janice howled, practically falling out of her chair. “Noooo—he didn’t!! That's brutal! How did Julia respond?”

“Oh, she froze," Joan said, mimicking Julia's deer-in-the-headlights look. "She was like, ‘Professor Stone... I, uh, I tripped running here.' And Stone? Without skipping a beat, he said, ‘Next time, Ms. Jacobs, leave the triathlons for after class. Take a seat.’”

Janice shook her head, still lost in laughter. “Oh my god, poor Julia! That's the kind of thing you'd never live down. Her pride died right there next to those poor Keds.”

“Exactly!” Joan giggled. “No one who saw it could look her in the eye for weeks. Every time she entered a room, someone would shift uncomfortably, silently praying she wouldn't bring it up. Classic.”

Janice wiped away a tear, her cheeks hurting from laughing so much. “That story still kills me. And there’s just something about brand new white Keds meeting their tragic, muddy doom that gets me every time.”

Joan chuckled and grinned. “So, no offense, babe, but... between Julia’s epic mudslide and your construction site debacle, maybe it's time we stop trying to wear perfect white sneakers in adventurous situations?”

Janice held up her hands in playful surrender. “Lesson officially learned—no more missions in white Keds, new or otherwise!"

Back
Top Bottom