Tretorns in the Winter

RonR

Bronze Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
When I was in high school and college in the late 1980's and early 1990's lots of girls wore Tretorns. In the winter I would see different scenarios:

1.) Some girls simply continued wearing their canvas Tretorns despite the cold temps and the messy weather.
2.) Some girls switched to the leather Tretorns for the winter only to go back to canvas in the spring.
3.) Some girls switched to other leather sneakers like K-Swiss or Reebok for the winter months.

What are your memories of girls that regularly wore canvas Tretorns with regards to the winter months?

Re: Tretorns in the Winter

Great question! I went to a private school so the majority of the time I got to see them wearing Tretorns was during PE. For the most part, I remember them sticking to whatever pair they had at that moment. It was fortunate and unfortunate to be at a private school because I didn't get to see them wear Tretorns every day, but sometimes they would wear them with the school uniform (if they got permission because of a sprained ankle for example) which was fun!

In school in Connecticut in the 80's, the Tretorn girls wore canvas year round if they wore them at all. I think I only saw one pair of leather before 1990.
I dated a girl from '88-90 or so and I made here a Tretorn girl, and among the 15 or so pairs she had there was at least one leather which she wore working at the emergency room so they could be wiped clean. She was not shy about wearing sneakers in wet or snowy weather, or even getting them wet or muddy.

Wearing Tretorns in the snow would lead to cold feet and maybe damp shoes. It’s those days when the snow is melting when it gets really messy. I remember a girl in college who got new Tretorns for Christmas (white canvas with blue stripe). She wore them a few times and they looked really nice. We got some significant snow which then melted the following week. She wore boots in the snow but went back to her Tretorns when the temperature shot back up to 50 degrees. I saw her mid-day in class and her Tretorns were trashed with stains all over from the slush and slop.

Ever see see that happen?

I'm sure I have seen similar things happen, not with snow though because where my formative Tretorn years were it didn't snow. I do remember girls wearing them that were really trashed. I've always been a fan of the cleaner look. Super clean right out of the box might be my favorite, when they really pop on the woman's foot. I do like them a little worn too so you can tell she wears them, but not super trashed.

I prefer the new/clean Tretorns as well. A little wear is okay.

Have you noticed that girls are pretty careful about keeping their new Tretorns clean?

I prefer the new/clean Tretorns as well. A little wear is okay.

Have you noticed that girls are pretty careful about keeping their new Tretorns clean?

Some seem to be which I think is hot. That's how I'm treating my brand new green trim ones. I still haven't worn them outside and I got them in May. They just look too good!

What have you seen girls do to keep their new Tretorns clean? Do they avoid certain activities?

How about a time where a girl had on new Tretorns and she ended up somewhere she wasn’t planning on? Example: she thought she was just going on a picnic only to end up on a nature walk in the woods dodging mud puddles? Or, she got caught in the rain at a park?

Back
Top Bottom