Mule

VIP Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
Anyone know how the best way to wash Keds?

The problem I have with Mrs. Mule's Keds is that even brand new white ones get "glue stains" when they get wet. 🙁

It seems like something in the glue holding the outsole to the sneaker dissolves in water and then "creeps up" into the canvas as it dries.

Anyone else have this problem, and how do you get around it?

It seems to be in the drying not the getting wet part.

I just washed a pair with some Amaze (let them soak for a couple hours) then put them outside on the clothesline for a day. No yellow stains and nice and white.

Here's what someone else said:

(at http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/260607/c/720.html)

Love your Keds Pure Fits, but DISSAPOINTED when they get wet I love, love, LOVED the canvas slip on purefits. I bought 3 pair the beginning of summer, 2 sand and 1 white. However, got caught in a couple of rain storms and the sneakers got all yellow water stains on them when they dried. So I then washed them (real well), but when they dried (naturally-outdoors in sun)...same thing..all yellow stains. Very unhappy and will never buy these again. Am telling all my friends, because I got more compliments on these shoes and I don't want anyone else to waste their hard earned money on disposable shoes.

Sounds like they need to subscribe to this forum for washing and drying tips 🙂

I found one solution. I soaked the sneakers as you suggested, but still got the yellow streaks as the sneakers dried.

I waited until they were completely dry, and then used a spray bottle with dilute bleach to wet the canvas lightly -- not enough so that there was enough liquid to soak down under the rubber.

They look pretty good now.

Back
Top Bottom