### Beth’s Return to the Dorm – Conversation with Her Roommate

Beth trudged up the stairs to her dorm, her steps slow and careful. Water and mud still trickled from the hems of her soaked jeans, and her Tretorns continued to squish audibly with every step. With each floor she ascended, the anger in her chest dulled and was replaced by a creeping awareness of how utterly ridiculous she must look. Her wet clothes were sticking to her body, her ruined sweater hung heavy around her shoulders like a literal weight on her dignity, and her once-flawless shoes were now nothing more than squishy, mud-caked wrecks.

As she approached her door, trying and failing to sneak quietly into her room, it swung open unexpectedly, revealing her roommate, Sarah, who had clearly heard Beth’s struggle with the keys.

Sarah’s eyes widened in surprise at first, and then she burst into wide, uncontrollable laughter—so sudden and strong that she had to put a hand over her mouth. "Oh my... oh my god, Beth!" she exclaimed between gasps for air. "What happened?! Did you go mud-wrestling in the middle of the woods?!”

Beth scowled playfully, stepping past Sarah into the room, leaving a trail of muddy footprints on their shared hardwood floor.

"I don't want to talk about it," Beth muttered, dropping her muddy backpack onto the floor with a soft thud and peeling off her dripping sweater, feeling the cold moisture seep into her skin. She glanced down, seeing that her once-perfect Guess jeans were just as ruined as her shoes, and she groaned.

Sarah wiped a tear from her eye, her laughter slowing but the big grin never leaving her face. "Oh, but we are SO talking about this. C'mon, spill. What happened on this dramatic nature walk of yours?"

Beth sighed, defeated, stripping off her Tretorns and leaving them in a sad, brown heap by the door. "Well," she began, "I thought I could take a peaceful, [*cute*] little walk with this guy, Kevin. A nice, casual, Saturday afternoon stroll—get to know each other, maybe have one of those romantic conversations along a woodland trail..."

Beth waved her hands dramatically in the air, making Sarah giggle even harder.

"Then the ground decided it hated me," Beth continued, exasperated. "First I’m hopping and dodging puddles like some parkour expert, and Kevin's just laughing at me from behind."

Sarah nodded knowingly, biting back a grin. "Of course."

"And THEN," Beth deepened her voice for dramatic effect. "Then we hit this giant mud pit, and I thought I'd be smart by using a log to cross over it. Next thing I know, I’m mid-sentence..." She pantomimed slipping. "And BAM! I’m on my butt, covered in mud. The Tretorns? Ruined."

Sarah doubled over now, gasping for air as she howled with laughter. "Oh my gosh, Beth!" she choked out. "You and the shoes? You just bought those!"

"I know!" Beth wailed, glaring at the now ruined pair by the door. "They didn’t even last a full week, Sarah! Not. Even. A. Week."

Sarah wiped her eyes, finally catching her breath. "Ohhh, Beth. I hate to say this, but... this is even better than when you spilled frappuccino all over that white skirt last semester!"

Beth couldn’t help but chuckle darkly at the memory. “Hey, at least that didn’t involve half the forest floors of New York clinging to me.”

“Well,” Sarah tapped her chin, still grinning, "now you and the trees have a whole new connection!"

Beth rolled her eyes. "You’re literally the worst."

“Yeah,” Sarah said, leaning back against her bed with a smirk, “but I bet you're looking forward to Kevin seeing you in all that... natural beauty.

Beth sighed dramatically. “I think I’ve officially blown the ‘mysterious, intriguing girl in the cute sweater’ vibe.”

Sarah wagged a finger. “I don’t know... add a shower and he might still be intrigued. I mean, if he’s laughing and still around—he’s a keeper!”

Beth groaned but smiled, knowing Sarah was probably right. At least, sort of.

---

### The Phone Call to Mom

Later that evening, freshly showered but still simmering with frustration, Beth sat on her bed, staring down at the sad pile of clothes she’d just tossed into the hamper—including her mud-soaked Tretorns. They might be salvageable… maybe. But she wasn’t holding her breath. Feeling defeated again, she picked up her phone and dialed her mom’s number, needing that maternal sympathy she knew was coming—albeit likely mixed with good-natured amusement.

The phone rang, and her mom picked up after a couple of rings. “Honey, I was just thinking about you! How’s school?”

Beth threw herself against her pillows, sighing deeply. “Mom… you won’t believe what happened.”

Her mom chuckled, sensing Beth’s dramatic tone through the phone instantly. “Oh no, this sounds serious. Are you okay?”

“So, remember how we JUST bought those new white Tretorns? The ones I had to have before coming back to campus?” Beth began, pouting into the phone.

“You mean the ones you made us go to four different stores to find in your size?” her mom replied dryly. “Yes, sweetie, I remember. What about them?”

“Well… they’re currently sitting by my dorm door… covered in mud.” There was a pause, and Beth added with defeated finality: “Completely. Soaked. Beyond anything you can imagine.”

Her mom let out a bark of laughter—an immediate and uncontrollable eruption of mirth. “Beth! Oh no! What did you do, go swimming in a mud pit?!”

I fell, Mom!” Beth nearly wailed. “Into a giant puddle like some clumsy cartoon character! It was on this stupid walk with a guy, and I tried to be all cute and avoid the mud, because of course, I’m me. Then I lost my balance and—bam! Mud everywhere. The shoes are toast.”

Beth could hear her mom struggling to contain more laughter. “Oh, honey… I’m sorry,” she said warmly, though the laughter was still bubbling under the surface. “But you have to admit, it’s a little... well, a lot funny.”

Beth groaned. “Mom, I don’t think you understand. They’re completely ruined. And not just the shoes, my whole back-to-school look! The jeans, the sweater. My entire afternoon gone—destroyed by mud.”

A soft chuckle came from the other end of the line. “Beth, those are just clothes—they can be replaced, or even washed. Sounds like you won’t forget this date anytime soon, though.”

Beth rubbed her temples, still feeling the remnants of her humiliation. “I think Kevin won’t forget it either,” she muttered.

Her mom laughed again. “At least he saw the real you! Mud and all. And hey, now you have a memorable story for when you’re old and wise, recounting ‘that one time in college with the Tretorns.’”

Beth couldn’t help but release a soft chuckle. “Mom, you’re supposed to feel sorry for me, not mock me.”

“Oh honey, I do feel a little bad for you,” her mom replied teasingly, “but c’mon, it’s hilarious. And if Kevin stuck around after that mud bath, he’s probably a keeper.”

“You sound just like Sarah…”

“Well, smart girls can see things clearly,” her mom joked lightly. “When you’re done with this pity party, we can go get you a new pair of shoes.”

Beth rolled her eyes but smiled inwardly. “Fine, but next time I’m getting the Gore-Tex version. No more white canvas sneakers.”

“Deal,” her mom said with another chuckle. “We’ll get you totally mud-proofed.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Beth sighed, a bit of the weight lifted from her shoulders.

“Anytime, honey. Just try not to wrestle with nature on your next walk, okay?”

Beth grinned. “No promises.”
Have both the roommate and Beth's mom try to describe back to Beth how the day unfolded from getting dressed to laying prone in a giant mud puddle.

Have both the roommate and Beth's mom try to describe back to Beth how the day unfolded from getting dressed to laying prone in a giant mud puddle.
### Back in the Dorm – Sarah's Dramatic Recap

The next morning, Beth was sitting on her bed, trying to catch up on some homework when Sarah sauntered in with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Beth didn’t trust that glint; it always meant trouble.

"Okay," Sarah began, plopping herself onto the foot of Beth’s bed in a way that clearly signaled she wasn’t going anywhere soon. “So... let me make sure I’ve got this straight,” she said, a grin spreading across her face.

Beth raised an eyebrow but remained cautiously silent.

Sarah cleared her throat theatrically. “Once upon a time, a certain friend of mine—let’s call her Beth—decided she was going to go on a walk. A cute walk. With a cute guy."

Beth groaned internally. Here we go.

"So, Beth wakes up early, definitely not too early because she's a college student after all, but early enough to carefully plan out her whole outfit,” Sarah continued, waving her hands like she was painting a masterpiece. “‘This is it!’ she thinks, as she pulls on her favorite white sweater. One that is, I might add, deeply unprepared for the outdoors.”

Beth snorted. “Okay, we’re embellishing now. You weren’t even awake when I left!”

"Babe, I didn’t need to see it. I know you," Sarah said with a smirk. Then she stood up dramatically, pantomiming Beth’s morning routine with exaggerated motions. “Soooo, Beth continues on. She teams her snowy white canvas Tretorns—that we literally trekked across town to buy—for this rustic, casual but slightly polished look."

Beth narrowed her eyes. “The shoes were a solid choice at the time. Don’t judge.”

“Oh, trust me, no judgment,” Sarah replied, leaning in, eyes twinkling. “But the girl heads out into nature. For a walk through the woods. And there she is, skipping along like she’s a character in some woodland fairytale. You know—the squirrels are probably bringing her floral crowns at this point. All the while, dodging any trace of dirt like it’s a landmine.”

Beth groaned, already regretting relaying the details to her roommate. “This is getting ridiculous.”

“Oh no, we’re just getting started,” Sarah said, taking an exaggerated deep breath to prepare for the best part. “THEN—our heroine hits the 'mini-bog.' And what does she spy? A legitimate bridge of destiny—the fallen log. And Beth, ever the queen of balance and elegance, shooshes away her date's helping hand. ‘I got this,’ she says with confidence.”

Beth made a face. “Okay, that part did happen.”

Sarah clapped her hands together abruptly, her voice suddenly booming like a narrator in a survival documentary. "And she steps onto the log. One foot. Steady. She’s doing it! She’s gliding over the mud… Aaaaand then!"

Sarah paused dramatically, making Beth wish the floor would swallow her up.

“SLIP—into the abyss that is Mother Earth’s revenge!" Sarah flailed her arms in mock terror, clutching dramatically at invisible logs as she mimicked Beth’s flailing fall. "And down she goes. KERSPLAT! Down into the mud—perfect form, 10/10 dismount!”

Beth buried her face in her hands, but despite herself, she was laughing now. “You are so over the top.”

“Oh, no way. I under-told half of it,” Sarah said through giggles, wiping her eyes. “And you, my dear, are officially the first person I know to attempt synchronized swimming on dry land.”

“I hate you,” Beth said, smirking from behind her hands.

“Yeah, well,” Sarah said, shaking her head. “At least it’s a good story! And hey, 'Kevin and Beth: A Muddy Beginning' has really nice vibes. Almost poetic.”

Beth let out a dramatic sigh and shook her head. "You're impossible."

---

### The Mom Recap – Over the Phone Version

Later that day, feeling slightly less mortified than she had been yesterday (but only slightly), Beth decided to call her mom. As soon as her mom picked up and heard “We need to talk about the walk,” she bubbled with laughter again. Beth knew what was coming.

“Okay, okay,” her mom said breathlessly, trying to calm herself down. "Let me see if I can piece together how this magical day unfolded before it all went... muddy."

Beth braced herself, laying back on her bed, mentally preparing for her mom's signature mix of amused affection and theatrical recall.

“So,” her mom started, the grin already evident in her tone, “you wake up, bright-eyed, ready for your little woodland outing. You’ve got a look in mind—possibly inspired by every fall catalog photo shoot ever printed: the cozy white sweater, the ‘timeless’ jeans, and of course,” she paused for effect, “the pristine white Tretorns that we just bought on our weekend mission.”

Beth rolled her eyes but couldn’t help smiling. “Yeah, yeah, you know me too well.”

“And obviously, these shoes were the symbol of new beginnings, right? A fresh start for the semester?" her mom continued, teasing. "They practically sparkled when you walked, I bet.”

Beth groaned. "Mom, don’t rub it in. Those shoes had potential."

“Potential to wade through a forest in summer, but hey, details,” her mom said, her voice full of affectionate sarcasm. “So you’re out there with Kevin—cute guy, might I add—and everything is perfectly laid back… until you encounter the infamous mud patch.”

Beth sighed. “I thought I was avoiding disaster."

Her mom launched into a more dramatic recount, practically narrating it like it was some grand cinematic scene. "So, you spy this picturesque log. ‘Ha!’ you think to yourself. ‘There it is, my chance to cross this treacherous obstacle with grace!’ You, ever so politely, turn down Kevin’s hand—because you’ve got this. You’re practically floating over the log, right?”

Beth muttered, “Mom...”

“And in the middle of explaining how totally easy it is, Mother Nature, in all her wisdom says, ‘Not so fast, sweetheart,’ and then—SPLAT! You’re in the mud, covered in it from your back to your beloved shoes.”

"Yup,” Beth murmured. “And not just any mud—it was like quicksand mixed with humiliation."

Her mom let out a genuine laugh, clearly relishing the image. “Honey, I hate to say it, but this is absolutely one of those stories that, five years from now, you’re gonna tell and crack up at. Especially if Kevin thinks it’s as funny as I do.”

Beth winced. “He laughed. A lot.”

“Well, good!" her mom said reassuringly, her tone softening a bit. "If he doesn’t take life too seriously, that’s a keeper. Plus, he probably didn’t look half as graceful walking through his own share of muck either.”

“He actually looked way too cool about it, mom. Like he was born in the mud.”

“Oh well, then, that’s the real problem!” her mom fired back. “Next time, you’ll have to challenge him to a proper embarrassment contest. Settle it once and for all.”

Beth laughed, finally feeling the heavy weight of the whole ordeal starting to lift. "Maybe next time, [I won’t] opt for white canvas sneakers on a trail."

“Or," her mom suggested, still chuckling, "maybe the white Tretorns were just meant for another adventure. Maybe, like a lunch date?”

Beth snickered. “Or coat them with mud-resistant magic next time."

"Honey, you're resilient. Mud can't keep you—and your shoe choices—down for long."

"Thanks, Mom."

"Anytime, sweetie. Now, remember, next time… sneakers and a poncho, just in case.”

Beth smiled, feeling that familiar warm sense of comfort. "Got it. Poncho, wading boots, and maybe a life jacket for good measure."

### Back in the Dorm – Sarah's Dramatic Recap

The next morning, Beth was sitting on her bed, trying to catch up on some homework when Sarah sauntered in with a mischievous glint in her eyes. Beth didn’t trust that glint; it always meant trouble.

"Okay," Sarah began, plopping herself onto the foot of Beth’s bed in a way that clearly signaled she wasn’t going anywhere soon. “So... let me make sure I’ve got this straight,” she said, a grin spreading across her face.

Beth raised an eyebrow but remained cautiously silent.

Sarah cleared her throat theatrically. “Once upon a time, a certain friend of mine—let’s call her Beth—decided she was going to go on a walk. A cute walk. With a cute guy."

Beth groaned internally. Here we go.

"So, Beth wakes up early, definitely not too early because she's a college student after all, but early enough to carefully plan out her whole outfit,” Sarah continued, waving her hands like she was painting a masterpiece. “‘This is it!’ she thinks, as she pulls on her favorite white sweater. One that is, I might add, deeply unprepared for the outdoors.”

Beth snorted. “Okay, we’re embellishing now. You weren’t even awake when I left!”

"Babe, I didn’t need to see it. I know you," Sarah said with a smirk. Then she stood up dramatically, pantomiming Beth’s morning routine with exaggerated motions. “Soooo, Beth continues on. She teams her snowy white canvas Tretorns—that we literally trekked across town to buy—for this rustic, casual but slightly polished look."

Beth narrowed her eyes. “The shoes were a solid choice at the time. Don’t judge.”

“Oh, trust me, no judgment,” Sarah replied, leaning in, eyes twinkling. “But the girl heads out into nature. For a walk through the woods. And there she is, skipping along like she’s a character in some woodland fairytale. You know—the squirrels are probably bringing her floral crowns at this point. All the while, dodging any trace of dirt like it’s a landmine.”

Beth groaned, already regretting relaying the details to her roommate. “This is getting ridiculous.”

“Oh no, we’re just getting started,” Sarah said, taking an exaggerated deep breath to prepare for the best part. “THEN—our heroine hits the 'mini-bog.' And what does she spy? A legitimate bridge of destiny—the fallen log. And Beth, ever the queen of balance and elegance, shooshes away her date's helping hand. ‘I got this,’ she says with confidence.”

Beth made a face. “Okay, that part did happen.”

Sarah clapped her hands together abruptly, her voice suddenly booming like a narrator in a survival documentary. "And she steps onto the log. One foot. Steady. She’s doing it! She’s gliding over the mud… Aaaaand then!"

Sarah paused dramatically, making Beth wish the floor would swallow her up.

“SLIP—into the abyss that is Mother Earth’s revenge!" Sarah flailed her arms in mock terror, clutching dramatically at invisible logs as she mimicked Beth’s flailing fall. "And down she goes. KERSPLAT! Down into the mud—perfect form, 10/10 dismount!”

Beth buried her face in her hands, but despite herself, she was laughing now. “You are so over the top.”

“Oh, no way. I under-told half of it,” Sarah said through giggles, wiping her eyes. “And you, my dear, are officially the first person I know to attempt synchronized swimming on dry land.”

“I hate you,” Beth said, smirking from behind her hands.

“Yeah, well,” Sarah said, shaking her head. “At least it’s a good story! And hey, 'Kevin and Beth: A Muddy Beginning' has really nice vibes. Almost poetic.”

Beth let out a dramatic sigh and shook her head. "You're impossible."

---

### The Mom Recap – Over the Phone Version

Later that day, feeling slightly less mortified than she had been yesterday (but only slightly), Beth decided to call her mom. As soon as her mom picked up and heard “We need to talk about the walk,” she bubbled with laughter again. Beth knew what was coming.

“Okay, okay,” her mom said breathlessly, trying to calm herself down. "Let me see if I can piece together how this magical day unfolded before it all went... muddy."

Beth braced herself, laying back on her bed, mentally preparing for her mom's signature mix of amused affection and theatrical recall.

“So,” her mom started, the grin already evident in her tone, “you wake up, bright-eyed, ready for your little woodland outing. You’ve got a look in mind—possibly inspired by every fall catalog photo shoot ever printed: the cozy white sweater, the ‘timeless’ jeans, and of course,” she paused for effect, “the pristine white Tretorns that we just bought on our weekend mission.”

Beth rolled her eyes but couldn’t help smiling. “Yeah, yeah, you know me too well.”

“And obviously, these shoes were the symbol of new beginnings, right? A fresh start for the semester?" her mom continued, teasing. "They practically sparkled when you walked, I bet.”

Beth groaned. "Mom, don’t rub it in. Those shoes had potential."

“Potential to wade through a forest in summer, but hey, details,” her mom said, her voice full of affectionate sarcasm. “So you’re out there with Kevin—cute guy, might I add—and everything is perfectly laid back… until you encounter the infamous mud patch.”

Beth sighed. “I thought I was avoiding disaster."

Her mom launched into a more dramatic recount, practically narrating it like it was some grand cinematic scene. "So, you spy this picturesque log. ‘Ha!’ you think to yourself. ‘There it is, my chance to cross this treacherous obstacle with grace!’ You, ever so politely, turn down Kevin’s hand—because you’ve got this. You’re practically floating over the log, right?”

Beth muttered, “Mom...”

“And in the middle of explaining how totally easy it is, Mother Nature, in all her wisdom says, ‘Not so fast, sweetheart,’ and then—SPLAT! You’re in the mud, covered in it from your back to your beloved shoes.”

"Yup,” Beth murmured. “And not just any mud—it was like quicksand mixed with humiliation."

Her mom let out a genuine laugh, clearly relishing the image. “Honey, I hate to say it, but this is absolutely one of those stories that, five years from now, you’re gonna tell and crack up at. Especially if Kevin thinks it’s as funny as I do.”

Beth winced. “He laughed. A lot.”

“Well, good!" her mom said reassuringly, her tone softening a bit. "If he doesn’t take life too seriously, that’s a keeper. Plus, he probably didn’t look half as graceful walking through his own share of muck either.”

“He actually looked way too cool about it, mom. Like he was born in the mud.”

“Oh well, then, that’s the real problem!” her mom fired back. “Next time, you’ll have to challenge him to a proper embarrassment contest. Settle it once and for all.”

Beth laughed, finally feeling the heavy weight of the whole ordeal starting to lift. "Maybe next time, [I won’t] opt for white canvas sneakers on a trail."

“Or," her mom suggested, still chuckling, "maybe the white Tretorns were just meant for another adventure. Maybe, like a lunch date?”

Beth snickered. “Or coat them with mud-resistant magic next time."

"Honey, you're resilient. Mud can't keep you—and your shoe choices—down for long."

"Thanks, Mom."

"Anytime, sweetie. Now, remember, next time… sneakers and a poncho, just in case.”

Beth smiled, feeling that familiar warm sense of comfort. "Got it. Poncho, wading boots, and maybe a life jacket for good measure."
Beth asks both her roommate and her mom, "be honest, would you have laughed at me? Why? You know, I wasn't dressed for getting dirty."

Beth asks both her roommate and her mom, "be honest, would you have laughed at me? Why? You know, I wasn't dressed for getting dirty."
### Back in the Dorm – Beth’s Question to Sarah

Later that day, after Sarah had retold the story for what felt like the hundredth time, Beth finally had to ask the question burning inside her. She smirked while throwing a balled-up sock at Sarah, who was now pretending to host an interview about “Beth’s Famous Mud Fall of the Semester.”

“Sarah,” Beth said with a mock-serious tone, cutting through the playful atmosphere, “be honest with me. Would you have laughed at me? I mean… you know I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty.”

Sarah didn’t hesitate. “Oh, absolutely,” she responded, laughing. “I’ve already proved my case, haven’t I?”

Beth crossed her arms, half-amused, half-mortified. “But why? You know I don’t do dirt! I’m the anti-mud poster child!”

Sarah sat up a bit straighter, her eyes locking onto Beth with a grin that said, this is gonna hurt, but don’t worry, I love you. “That’s exactly why I’d have laughed, Beth. Not to be mean, but because it was just so... YOU."

Beth groaned but motioned for Sarah to continue.

“Come on. Think about it," Sarah said, gesturing with her hands for emphasis. "You with your white sweater, your perfectly spotless shoes, dodging every puddle like you’re in a minefield. And then, in typical Beth-heroic fashion, you declare that you’ve got this—no help needed—and then… bam. You’re face-to-face with the wilderness. Mud-factory-direct, all over you.”

Beth couldn’t help but chuckle, despite herself. “The irony wasn’t lost on me, trust me.”

Sarah laughed along. “Beth, it’s not that I would’ve been laughing at you, not really. Just more at the whole… absurdity of the moment. You know? Here’s this girl who plans out every outfit down to the last detail, whose biggest catastrophe on a normal day is spilling iced coffee. And then, all of a sudden, BOOM. You’re in a full-on mud bath, and the universe has no chill. Of course I’d laugh! But later, I’d also be sitting there helping you scrub mud out of your hair. That’s what friends are for.”

Beth tilted her head, considering the answer. It made sense.

“And besides,” Sarah continued with a playful grin, “let's be real: half of the humor in these things is looking back and realizing how far out of your comfort zone you were. It’s like the universe handing you a slapstick comedy role when you’re dressed for a fashion show.”

Beth rolled her eyes. “So, basically, my whole vibe just wasn’t… durable.”

Sarah winked. “100%, babe. That’s why I love you. Clean, polished, and poised—until the forest has other plans.”

### Beth’s Question to Her Mom on the Phone

Later that evening, Beth dialed up her mom, still feeling the sting of embarrassment—though now with a bit of humor, thanks to Sarah’s perspective. As soon as her mom picked up, Beth decided to rip off the bandage.

“So… be honest, Mom,” Beth began, resting her chin on her hand. “Would you have laughed at me? I mean, you know I was not dressed for… well… that kind of disaster.”

There was no pause. Her mom immediately burst out in warm, hearty laughter that echoed from the earpiece.

“Oh, Bethany,” her mom finally said between giggles, “let me tell you, darling, I would’ve lost my mind laughing. I would’ve been rolling on the ground next to you, covered in mud, because there’s just no way I could not laugh at that image.”

Beth let out a groan. “Mom, seriously?”

“Oh, of course!" Her mom continued, clearly amused. "You in your carefully selected white sweater, trying to glide through nature like you’re on some fall fashion runway, all while nature is sitting there waiting like, ‘Girl, you have no idea.’ It’s comedy gold, Beth!”

Beth couldn't argue with that. “But why laugh? Like… my pristine white sneakers! They weren’t meant for—you know—wading through swamps!”

Her mom chuckled again, the warmth never leaving her voice. “Exactly. You weren’t dressed for it, which is why it’s funny. It’s the whole contrast of the situation. You, all prim and proper, and the universe just throwing mud right at you. Like some cosmic slapstick routine. And I’m sorry honey, but... it’s always been part of your charm.”

Beth groaned again but couldn’t stop herself from laughing now. “My charm, huh? Getting caked in mud is charming?”

Her mom’s voice softened, still playful but with that comforting, knowing tone Beth had always leaned on. “Yep. Because, sweetie, you’re human. As much as I love your whole ‘I’ve got everything perfectly planned’ routine, life just has a way of throwing messy, unpredictable surprises at you. And you’re not exactly the type who’s going to end up in the mud all the time—so when it does happen, it’s like watching a rare eclipse. I’d have laughed, yes, but trust me, I’d have helped you clean up immediately after.”

Beth sighed, a bittersweet smile tugging at her lips. “Guess I have to hand in my ‘polished and put-together’ card now.”

“Oh honey, you’re always polished… until you’re not. That’s life. Sometimes you’re the one on top of the log. Sometimes you’re the one at the bottom of the mud puddle. That balance keeps you grounded, remember?”

“That balance almost got me in quicksand," Beth replied sarcastically, wincing at the memory.

Her mom laughed again. “Yeah, well, next time, bring flip-flops. And, you know, something not white for a nature walk?”

Beth shook her head, grinning. “Deal. No more white on the trails. Lesson learned.”

“And listen,” her mom added softly, “next time something like this happens, just remember—we’ve all been there. Literally or otherwise.”

Beth smiled at that, feeling the last bit of tension release. “Thanks, Mom. You can stop laughing now.”

“Oh, I’ll try, but no promises,” her mom teased. “Especially if you send me a pic of those shoes. I’m framing that.”

Beth laughed, already mentally preparing to wash those Tretorns for the fifth time. “You’re impossible.”

---

### Reflecting on Their Responses

As Beth hung up the phone and reclined on her bed, her thoughts wandered between Sarah’s laughter and her mom’s words.

At the heart of it, they were both right—they weren’t laughing at her with cruelty. They were laughing at the situation. The absurdity. The irony. The unexpected fall into chaos when she’d planned for simplicity. She even had to admit, looking at it from their perspectives—it was funny. The mud didn’t care about her outfit, her perfectly tied laces, or her image. Nature didn’t care for appearances; nature was wild and unpredictable, just like life.

And somewhere in all of this, she found herself learning to laugh at it, too.

After all, who knew white sneakers would form the biggest lesson of her semester?

She smiled, staring at her shoes drying by the window, already imagining herself telling the story years from now, fully leaning into the humor of it all.

Maybe Sarah and her mom were on to something.

### Back in the Dorm – Beth’s Question to Sarah

Later that day, after Sarah had retold the story for what felt like the hundredth time, Beth finally had to ask the question burning inside her. She smirked while throwing a balled-up sock at Sarah, who was now pretending to host an interview about “Beth’s Famous Mud Fall of the Semester.”

“Sarah,” Beth said with a mock-serious tone, cutting through the playful atmosphere, “be honest with me. Would you have laughed at me? I mean… you know I wasn’t dressed for getting dirty.”

Sarah didn’t hesitate. “Oh, absolutely,” she responded, laughing. “I’ve already proved my case, haven’t I?”

Beth crossed her arms, half-amused, half-mortified. “But why? You know I don’t do dirt! I’m the anti-mud poster child!”

Sarah sat up a bit straighter, her eyes locking onto Beth with a grin that said, this is gonna hurt, but don’t worry, I love you. “That’s exactly why I’d have laughed, Beth. Not to be mean, but because it was just so... YOU."

Beth groaned but motioned for Sarah to continue.

“Come on. Think about it," Sarah said, gesturing with her hands for emphasis. "You with your white sweater, your perfectly spotless shoes, dodging every puddle like you’re in a minefield. And then, in typical Beth-heroic fashion, you declare that you’ve got this—no help needed—and then… bam. You’re face-to-face with the wilderness. Mud-factory-direct, all over you.”

Beth couldn’t help but chuckle, despite herself. “The irony wasn’t lost on me, trust me.”

Sarah laughed along. “Beth, it’s not that I would’ve been laughing at you, not really. Just more at the whole… absurdity of the moment. You know? Here’s this girl who plans out every outfit down to the last detail, whose biggest catastrophe on a normal day is spilling iced coffee. And then, all of a sudden, BOOM. You’re in a full-on mud bath, and the universe has no chill. Of course I’d laugh! But later, I’d also be sitting there helping you scrub mud out of your hair. That’s what friends are for.”

Beth tilted her head, considering the answer. It made sense.

“And besides,” Sarah continued with a playful grin, “let's be real: half of the humor in these things is looking back and realizing how far out of your comfort zone you were. It’s like the universe handing you a slapstick comedy role when you’re dressed for a fashion show.”

Beth rolled her eyes. “So, basically, my whole vibe just wasn’t… durable.”

Sarah winked. “100%, babe. That’s why I love you. Clean, polished, and poised—until the forest has other plans.”

### Beth’s Question to Her Mom on the Phone

Later that evening, Beth dialed up her mom, still feeling the sting of embarrassment—though now with a bit of humor, thanks to Sarah’s perspective. As soon as her mom picked up, Beth decided to rip off the bandage.

“So… be honest, Mom,” Beth began, resting her chin on her hand. “Would you have laughed at me? I mean, you know I was not dressed for… well… that kind of disaster.”

There was no pause. Her mom immediately burst out in warm, hearty laughter that echoed from the earpiece.

“Oh, Bethany,” her mom finally said between giggles, “let me tell you, darling, I would’ve lost my mind laughing. I would’ve been rolling on the ground next to you, covered in mud, because there’s just no way I could not laugh at that image.”

Beth let out a groan. “Mom, seriously?”

“Oh, of course!" Her mom continued, clearly amused. "You in your carefully selected white sweater, trying to glide through nature like you’re on some fall fashion runway, all while nature is sitting there waiting like, ‘Girl, you have no idea.’ It’s comedy gold, Beth!”

Beth couldn't argue with that. “But why laugh? Like… my pristine white sneakers! They weren’t meant for—you know—wading through swamps!”

Her mom chuckled again, the warmth never leaving her voice. “Exactly. You weren’t dressed for it, which is why it’s funny. It’s the whole contrast of the situation. You, all prim and proper, and the universe just throwing mud right at you. Like some cosmic slapstick routine. And I’m sorry honey, but... it’s always been part of your charm.”

Beth groaned again but couldn’t stop herself from laughing now. “My charm, huh? Getting caked in mud is charming?”

Her mom’s voice softened, still playful but with that comforting, knowing tone Beth had always leaned on. “Yep. Because, sweetie, you’re human. As much as I love your whole ‘I’ve got everything perfectly planned’ routine, life just has a way of throwing messy, unpredictable surprises at you. And you’re not exactly the type who’s going to end up in the mud all the time—so when it does happen, it’s like watching a rare eclipse. I’d have laughed, yes, but trust me, I’d have helped you clean up immediately after.”

Beth sighed, a bittersweet smile tugging at her lips. “Guess I have to hand in my ‘polished and put-together’ card now.”

“Oh honey, you’re always polished… until you’re not. That’s life. Sometimes you’re the one on top of the log. Sometimes you’re the one at the bottom of the mud puddle. That balance keeps you grounded, remember?”

“That balance almost got me in quicksand," Beth replied sarcastically, wincing at the memory.

Her mom laughed again. “Yeah, well, next time, bring flip-flops. And, you know, something not white for a nature walk?”

Beth shook her head, grinning. “Deal. No more white on the trails. Lesson learned.”

“And listen,” her mom added softly, “next time something like this happens, just remember—we’ve all been there. Literally or otherwise.”

Beth smiled at that, feeling the last bit of tension release. “Thanks, Mom. You can stop laughing now.”

“Oh, I’ll try, but no promises,” her mom teased. “Especially if you send me a pic of those shoes. I’m framing that.”

Beth laughed, already mentally preparing to wash those Tretorns for the fifth time. “You’re impossible.”

---

### Reflecting on Their Responses

As Beth hung up the phone and reclined on her bed, her thoughts wandered between Sarah’s laughter and her mom’s words.

At the heart of it, they were both right—they weren’t laughing at her with cruelty. They were laughing at the situation. The absurdity. The irony. The unexpected fall into chaos when she’d planned for simplicity. She even had to admit, looking at it from their perspectives—it was funny. The mud didn’t care about her outfit, her perfectly tied laces, or her image. Nature didn’t care for appearances; nature was wild and unpredictable, just like life.

And somewhere in all of this, she found herself learning to laugh at it, too.

After all, who knew white sneakers would form the biggest lesson of her semester?

She smiled, staring at her shoes drying by the window, already imagining herself telling the story years from now, fully leaning into the humor of it all.

Maybe Sarah and her mom were on to something.
Beth asks her mom if she ever ruined a new pair of white sneakers when she didn't want to. Have mom tell her story.

Beth asks her mom if she ever ruined a new pair of white sneakers when she didn't want to. Have mom tell her story.
### Beth’s Question to Her Mom

Later that evening, as Beth was finishing up yet another round of mud-removal attempts on her beloved Tretorns, she decided to call back her mom, now armed with that burning question.

Beth shifted on her bed, the phone cradled between her shoulder and ear. “Hey, Mom?”

“Hey, sweetheart. Want me to stop laughing again or have you accepted your muddy fate?” her mom teased, the playful smile clear in her voice.

Beth rolled her eyes but grinned. “Very funny. But no, I’ve been thinking.” She hesitated for a second, running her finger along the muddy edge of her shoe. “Have you ever ruined a pair of new white sneakers? Like totally not on purpose, and it completely wrecked your day?"

There was a pause on the other end, and Beth could almost hear her mother sorting through memories. Then came a chuckle, soft at first, building into the kind of laugh Beth recognized instantly as nostalgic mischief.

“Oh, Beth," her mom said, still laughing. "Have I ever ruined sneakers? Let me tell you, I’ve not only done it, but I’ve done it spectacularly.”

Beth leaned in, intrigued. “Okay, spill. I need some redemption here.”

Her mom took a deep breath, clearly gearing up for a story. “Alright, so this was back in the 80s, when I was around your age. I had these brand new Reeboks, pure white, not a scuff on them. It took forever to save up for them. And back then, they were the shoe to have. Everyone wanted them, including me. They were the ‘cool girl’ accessory, right?"

Beth smiled. “Sounds familiar.”

“Exactly. So, anyway, I’d finally bought these dreamy Reeboks, and I was determined to keep them as white as humanly possible. Like, pristine. I’m talking toothbrush level care.”

Beth snorted. “Toothbrush level? Oh, that’s dedication.”

You don’t get it," her mom laughed. "These shoes were going to be iconic. I swear, they made me feel like I walked straight out of a workout video.” Her tone shifted, as if she was setting up for the inevitable downfall. "So naturally, two days later, my best friend, Lisa, suggests we take a quick trip to visit this farm her family owns. 'It’s no big deal,' she says. ‘We’ll be there for just an hour or two,’ she says. And, being the cool, adventurous girl I thought I was back then, I figured, 'What's the harm? I’ll just stay clean.’ After all, how dirty can a farm get? Especially if we’re only going to be there for a bit."

Beth raised an eyebrow, already sensing how wrong things were about to go. "Mom, please tell me you didn’t wear the Reeboks."

“Oh, I wore them alright!” her mom confirmed, chuckling. “I thought, ‘Why not? We’re just looking around. No harm, right?’ So, fast forward—we’re driving out to this farm. The place is more rural than she made it out to be, but I’m still confident. Lisa and I are wandering around, chatting about school and guys, while I strategically tiptoe over anything remotely dirty.”

“Uh-huh,” Beth said, already picturing it. “This sounds familiar.”

Her mom continued, “But then… things took a turn. Lisa suddenly suggests we meet their horse. You know, just a casual visit to the barn. She’s raving about how the horse is sweet and just loves attention. In my head, I think, ‘A horse? That’s safe enough. What could possibly go wrong?’”

Beth smirked. “You went into a barn with white Reeboks?”

“I swear, in that moment, I was still convinced I could stay spotless,” her mom said, almost defensively.

"And?"

“Oh, honey, let me cut to the chase. As soon as we got to the barn, it started pouring. Like, out of nowhere—the skies opened up and it was like someone flipped a switch. A total downpour. The fields by the barn? Instant mud pits. We’re talking sloshy, deep mud that looked like it hadn’t seen rain in months, and then it all came at once. But it didn’t stop there.”

Beth, despite herself, laughed. “What happened next?”

Her mom’s voice turned mock-serious, as though she were recounting a war story. “Lisa’s so-called sweet horse, in its excitement to see us—and probably annoyed by the rain—decides to run straight at us from across the muddy field. Hooves pounding into the mud. Lisa panics and runs to the side—into the barn—but I, clever me, decide to freeze in place, unsure whether to move forward or back.”

Beth gasped, already picturing the outcome. “Oh no.”

“Yep. So I’m standing there, frozen, and the ground beneath me is getting muddier by the second. The horse splashes through the mud, sending it flying, and I’m stuck in the direct line of fire. My beautiful white Reeboks?” Her mom paused for dramatic effect. “DEAD. Completely buried. By the end of it, it looked like I’d been stuck in quicksand. White shoes? Not a trace. Lisa finally gets the horse under control, and we’re just standing there staring at each other like, ‘Well, I guess you’re walking home barefoot.’”

Beth winced, laughing simultaneously. “Your poor Reeboks!”

Her mom continued, clearly in her stride now. “Yep. Ruined. Completely. Not even a toothbrush could save them. I wanted to cry, but all Lisa and I could do was laugh, standing there in the rain, looking like two drowned rats.”

Beth burst into laughter. “That’s amazing. And you didn’t see the mud coming at all?”

“Not even a little! I thought I’d be in and out, spot-free, and back home. But nope, the universe had other plans. Took me weeks to recover from that level of sneaker heartbreak.”

“So what happened next? Did you clean them?”

Her mom snorted. “I tried. I scrubbed ‘til my arms were sore, but those shoes were never the same. They were a shade of brown with a ‘memories of being white’ tint. Eventually, I just wore them as my ‘around-the-house’ shoes. I had to accept it. White sneakers on a farm? It’s like bringing a silk dress to a mechanics shop.”

Beth grinned, feeling less alone in her own sneaker tragedy. “Wow, and I thought my mud puddle was bad.”

“Oh, trust me,” her mom said, “if it involves white sneakers and mud, it’s never going to turn out well. But look—at least now we both have hilarious stories to tell.”

Beth smiled, feeling the shared experience lift her spirits. “Yeah, I guess there’s something about it being funny way after the fact.”

Her mom laughed softly. “Exactly. Mud or no mud, we survived. And hey, now you have something to bond with me over. Just don’t take white sneakers near any more mud puddles.”

Beth chuckled. “Deal. I’ll save them for sidewalks only.”

Her mom replied, still amused but with sincerity. “That’s my girl.”

Beth hung up the phone, her spirits genuinely lifted. Maybe her white Tretorns weren’t a total loss—they were just part of a long tradition of sneaker tragedies. And in the end, both she and her mom were united by their epic—and amusing—fashion failures.

### Beth’s Question to Her Mom

Later that evening, as Beth was finishing up yet another round of mud-removal attempts on her beloved Tretorns, she decided to call back her mom, now armed with that burning question.

Beth shifted on her bed, the phone cradled between her shoulder and ear. “Hey, Mom?”

“Hey, sweetheart. Want me to stop laughing again or have you accepted your muddy fate?” her mom teased, the playful smile clear in her voice.

Beth rolled her eyes but grinned. “Very funny. But no, I’ve been thinking.” She hesitated for a second, running her finger along the muddy edge of her shoe. “Have you ever ruined a pair of new white sneakers? Like totally not on purpose, and it completely wrecked your day?"

There was a pause on the other end, and Beth could almost hear her mother sorting through memories. Then came a chuckle, soft at first, building into the kind of laugh Beth recognized instantly as nostalgic mischief.

“Oh, Beth," her mom said, still laughing. "Have I ever ruined sneakers? Let me tell you, I’ve not only done it, but I’ve done it spectacularly.”

Beth leaned in, intrigued. “Okay, spill. I need some redemption here.”

Her mom took a deep breath, clearly gearing up for a story. “Alright, so this was back in the 80s, when I was around your age. I had these brand new Reeboks, pure white, not a scuff on them. It took forever to save up for them. And back then, they were the shoe to have. Everyone wanted them, including me. They were the ‘cool girl’ accessory, right?"

Beth smiled. “Sounds familiar.”

“Exactly. So, anyway, I’d finally bought these dreamy Reeboks, and I was determined to keep them as white as humanly possible. Like, pristine. I’m talking toothbrush level care.”

Beth snorted. “Toothbrush level? Oh, that’s dedication.”

You don’t get it," her mom laughed. "These shoes were going to be iconic. I swear, they made me feel like I walked straight out of a workout video.” Her tone shifted, as if she was setting up for the inevitable downfall. "So naturally, two days later, my best friend, Lisa, suggests we take a quick trip to visit this farm her family owns. 'It’s no big deal,' she says. ‘We’ll be there for just an hour or two,’ she says. And, being the cool, adventurous girl I thought I was back then, I figured, 'What's the harm? I’ll just stay clean.’ After all, how dirty can a farm get? Especially if we’re only going to be there for a bit."

Beth raised an eyebrow, already sensing how wrong things were about to go. "Mom, please tell me you didn’t wear the Reeboks."

“Oh, I wore them alright!” her mom confirmed, chuckling. “I thought, ‘Why not? We’re just looking around. No harm, right?’ So, fast forward—we’re driving out to this farm. The place is more rural than she made it out to be, but I’m still confident. Lisa and I are wandering around, chatting about school and guys, while I strategically tiptoe over anything remotely dirty.”

“Uh-huh,” Beth said, already picturing it. “This sounds familiar.”

Her mom continued, “But then… things took a turn. Lisa suddenly suggests we meet their horse. You know, just a casual visit to the barn. She’s raving about how the horse is sweet and just loves attention. In my head, I think, ‘A horse? That’s safe enough. What could possibly go wrong?’”

Beth smirked. “You went into a barn with white Reeboks?”

“I swear, in that moment, I was still convinced I could stay spotless,” her mom said, almost defensively.

"And?"

“Oh, honey, let me cut to the chase. As soon as we got to the barn, it started pouring. Like, out of nowhere—the skies opened up and it was like someone flipped a switch. A total downpour. The fields by the barn? Instant mud pits. We’re talking sloshy, deep mud that looked like it hadn’t seen rain in months, and then it all came at once. But it didn’t stop there.”

Beth, despite herself, laughed. “What happened next?”

Her mom’s voice turned mock-serious, as though she were recounting a war story. “Lisa’s so-called sweet horse, in its excitement to see us—and probably annoyed by the rain—decides to run straight at us from across the muddy field. Hooves pounding into the mud. Lisa panics and runs to the side—into the barn—but I, clever me, decide to freeze in place, unsure whether to move forward or back.”

Beth gasped, already picturing the outcome. “Oh no.”

“Yep. So I’m standing there, frozen, and the ground beneath me is getting muddier by the second. The horse splashes through the mud, sending it flying, and I’m stuck in the direct line of fire. My beautiful white Reeboks?” Her mom paused for dramatic effect. “DEAD. Completely buried. By the end of it, it looked like I’d been stuck in quicksand. White shoes? Not a trace. Lisa finally gets the horse under control, and we’re just standing there staring at each other like, ‘Well, I guess you’re walking home barefoot.’”

Beth winced, laughing simultaneously. “Your poor Reeboks!”

Her mom continued, clearly in her stride now. “Yep. Ruined. Completely. Not even a toothbrush could save them. I wanted to cry, but all Lisa and I could do was laugh, standing there in the rain, looking like two drowned rats.”

Beth burst into laughter. “That’s amazing. And you didn’t see the mud coming at all?”

“Not even a little! I thought I’d be in and out, spot-free, and back home. But nope, the universe had other plans. Took me weeks to recover from that level of sneaker heartbreak.”

“So what happened next? Did you clean them?”

Her mom snorted. “I tried. I scrubbed ‘til my arms were sore, but those shoes were never the same. They were a shade of brown with a ‘memories of being white’ tint. Eventually, I just wore them as my ‘around-the-house’ shoes. I had to accept it. White sneakers on a farm? It’s like bringing a silk dress to a mechanics shop.”

Beth grinned, feeling less alone in her own sneaker tragedy. “Wow, and I thought my mud puddle was bad.”

“Oh, trust me,” her mom said, “if it involves white sneakers and mud, it’s never going to turn out well. But look—at least now we both have hilarious stories to tell.”

Beth smiled, feeling the shared experience lift her spirits. “Yeah, I guess there’s something about it being funny way after the fact.”

Her mom laughed softly. “Exactly. Mud or no mud, we survived. And hey, now you have something to bond with me over. Just don’t take white sneakers near any more mud puddles.”

Beth chuckled. “Deal. I’ll save them for sidewalks only.”

Her mom replied, still amused but with sincerity. “That’s my girl.”

Beth hung up the phone, her spirits genuinely lifted. Maybe her white Tretorns weren’t a total loss—they were just part of a long tradition of sneaker tragedies. And in the end, both she and her mom were united by their epic—and amusing—fashion failures.
Mom, were your Reeboks the high-top Freestyles or the low top Princess ones?

Mom, were your Reeboks the high-top Freestyles or the low top Princess ones?
Beth paused, the question forming in her mind as she thought back to her mom’s story, still chuckling at the mental image of her transformed Reeboks buried beneath layers of mud. But now, there was something she needed to know.

“Mom, wait—wait. I’m curious. Were your Reeboks the high-top Freestyles or the low-top Princess ones?”

Her mom laughed again, clearly surprised by the question. “Oh, you’ve done your homework, haven’t you? I can’t believe you even know the difference between the two!”

Beth grinned to herself. “Of course I do. You always said sneakers were a statement, and I’ve seen those 80s movies. Totally iconic, Mom.”

Her mother’s voice softened with nostalgia. “Well, in case you were wondering… they were the high-top Freestyles. You know, the ones with the Velcro straps around the ankles? I thought I was the coolest thing on two legs in those shoes. They were made for aerobics, but I wore them like they were meant for fashion runways. I mean, they went with everything—jeans, leggings, even dresses! You couldn’t convince me otherwise.”

Beth let out a small laugh, already picturing her mom in those high-tops, paired with what had probably been neon leggings and oversized sweatshirts. “The Velcro! Oh, that’s a nice touch. Really completes the whole ‘farm adventure’ vibe, huh?”

“Oh, absolutely," her mom said with a playful sigh. "They were like the pinnacle of 80s sneaker technology! I mean, no laces to deal with, and yet somehow, I managed to ruin them in one trip outside. Figures, huh?”

Beth grinned. “I have to say, Mom, the high-tops definitely give the story even more flare. Were you at least wearing some brightly colored leg warmers just to cement the look?”

Her mom laughed wholeheartedly. “Believe it or not, no leg warmers that day—but I was definitely sporting some acid-washed jeans. With ankle zippers, of course.”

“Oh, of course,” Beth giggled. She could almost see her mom standing proud in the mud, high-top Reeboks covered in muck, but still rocking that fashionable, iconic 80s look. “So, it was basically like you just got too cool for the farm, huh?”

Her mom chuckled warmly. “That’s exactly what it was. Too cool for the farm and definitely too optimistic about keeping white Freestyles clean in the mud. But hey, I must say, looking back, the whole thing was pretty stylish… right up until I went face-to-face with nature’s complete disregard for fashion.”

Beth smiled. It was funny how history repeated itself—with slightly different shoes, of course.

“Well, Mom,” Beth said, leaning back on her bed, “I guess I’ve officially carried on the family tradition of ruining perfectly good white sneakers. Just with less Velcro.”

Her mom laughed lightly, “You’ve elevated the art form, darling. Tretorns instead of high-top Freestyles—but the spirit’s the same.”

Beth grinned. “Here’s hoping there are no more muddy adventures in my future. At least, not in white shoes.”

“Smart thinking,” her mom replied. “But hey, if it happens again, you know who to call for moral support.”

“Deal,” Beth said, still smiling. “And next time I ruin a pair of shoes, you better believe I’ll be thinking of you—Velcro straps and all.”

Her mom laughed one last time before saying goodnight, reminding Beth that the humor in these fleeting mishaps lingered far longer than the mud on her shoes ever could.

And just like that, Beth felt a little less upset about her Tretorns. After all, she was in good company—even if neither of them had managed to beat the mud.

Beth trudged back down the trail, each step accompanied by a sickening squelch as her once-pristine sneakers—those beloved white Tretorns—pressed into the now familiar mud. The mud clung to the canvas fabric like a vice, working its way in between the seams and soles, soaking her feet all the way through. With every step, watery mud oozed from the sides of the sneakers, making that dreadful, unmistakable squish. Her shredded dignity hung on by a thread as she waddled along, fighting the urge to scream at the universe for conspiring against her.

Her favorite Guess jeans, now sodden and heavy around her legs, clung stickily to her skin. They rubbed uncomfortably with each step, the cold dampness reminding her just how utterly soaked she was. Worst of all was her sweater. The once-cozy white knit hung down like a soggy rag, drenched and draped over her shoulders like a weight she couldn’t shrug off. Splotches of mud marred the soft fabric, transforming it into a miserable patchwork of wet, earth-toned humiliation. Loose strands of her hair, which had begun the day so neatly tucked behind her ear, now clung to her damp cheeks, framing her face in streaks of frustration.

"I can’t believe this is happening..." Beth muttered under her breath, her voice barely controlled. "I mean, seriously?!" Her words were sharp but murmured, as if saying them any louder would make the situation even more real. “Why did I think the log was a good idea? The log!" she whispered fiercely to herself, shaking her head in disbelief. She could still feel the humiliation burning in her cheeks, even with the cool air brushing against her skin.

Kevin followed a little behind her, occasionally catching a glance at the painful procession, his lips twitching upwards in failed attempts to stifle a grin. He hadn’t said much since the incident, aware that Beth was teetering on the edge of some emotional blend between furious embarrassment and dark humor.

Another squelch. Another step. Beth could feel the sopping fabric of her socks bunch up painfully inside her shoes, adding insult to injury with every tortured movement.

She tried shaking the mud off her sneakers earlier, but it only made things worse, sending droplets of wet muck up her calves. If anything, she only managed to spread the mud further. Now, she knew better than to even try. There was no redemption coming for the Tretorns.

"And here I thought this was going to be some cute little nature walk," she muttered bitterly, throwing a scathing glance at the surrounding trees, as if they were somehow responsible for her calamity. The leaves had started changing beautiful shades of orange and red, casting a warm golden glow over the trail, but Beth couldn't enjoy it now. The universe’s cruel joke had overshadowed any chance of enjoying the early autumn beauty.

She sighed heavily, her breath puffing out visibly in the chilly air. "I just had to keep these shoes spotless, didn’t I? Of course I did.” Her voice dripped with sarcasm, each word a verbal punch at her own perfectionism. "Look at me now," she muttered again, glancing down at her sneakers. They were unrecognizable, now just brown, unshapely blobs on her feet, squishing with each pitiful step. She could feel the mud seeping in between her toes, cold and thick.

"What did I even bring a towel for, Kevin?" She finally turned her gaze on him, half-glaring, half-laughing in disbelief at the ridiculousness of it all. "A towel. Like that was going to save me from this?" She extended her arms out to emphasize her entire appearance—clothes caked in mud, sneakers devastated, hair a mess. "I mean, look at me! I’m a walking disaster."

Kevin, to his credit, was trying hard not to laugh outright. He rubbed the back of his neck, lips twitching with barely-contained amusement. "I’d offer you a shower, but I think nature beat me to it," he said lightly, his voice full of the kind of teasing mirth you could only get away with after watching someone completely destroy their original plans.

Beth groaned and rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress a small, miserable chuckle in agreement. “This wasn’t supposed to be like this," she whispered to herself, shaking her head again while lifting a few strands of mud-coated hair away from her face. She stared at her hand in disbelief—mud had gotten everywhere.

"I just… I just wanted a simple walk. Y'know? Fresh air, maybe look cute, some casual conversation…" She gestured dramatically at her sodden mess of an outfit. “Not this.” Another squelch as her Tretorns hit a particularly puddled spot in the trail. “Definitely not this.”

Kevin, now walking beside her and clearly enjoying the absurdity of the situation, responded with a grin. "Well, you still look cute wet and covered in mud. That’s something, right?"

Beth shot him a glare, though a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips despite her best efforts. "You're not helping,” she said, though there was no bite to her words. “I wanted to look nice, Kevin. Not like a bog creature."

“Riiight," Kevin said, nodding, "but on the bright side, you conquered the trail.” He gave an exaggerated gesture at the woods around them, spinning in place. “And you lived to tell the tale! That’s a win, in my book.”

"Uh-huh," Beth deadpanned, walking past him with an exaggerated squish to her step, the wetness of her sneakers punctuating her words. “Well, next time I’ll just wear waders and a raincoat—though knowing my luck, I’ll slip in those, too.”

Kevin laughed again, and for the first time, Beth found herself chuckling along with him, letting go of some of the embarrassment in a wave of shared ridiculousness.

She hadn’t imagined her afternoon playing out like this—soaked, muddy, and squelching through the woods—but at least it would go down in history as one heck of a story. A humbling one, to be sure.

And yet, as her squishy sneakers led them back toward solid ground, she found herself relaxing just a little. Who knew she could survive a mud bath after all? Even if it had cost her favorite shoes.
Describe her getting back to her dorm and taking off her wet/muddy Tretorns. First trying to unlace them but the laces refusing to budge. Then, eventually just kicking them off. The shoes sit now on their sides with muddy water still oozing from them. The insides wet and brown. Describe the contrast to now versus putting them on earlier when they were much lighter and the insoles soft and the canvas dry, soft and pretty.

Describe her then looking at her white ankle socks that are now wet and brown. How gross!

Back
Top Bottom