Seeker

Staff member
Reaction score
Location (country)
Canada
Here is what we have tabulated as the main issues of contention. If you have anything to add or have a problem with any of the items respond to this post ASAP. I will be publishing the petition Monday May 26, 2008 at which time edits will be closed.

Draft start /
As previously loyal but currently dissatisfied customers we offer Keds Inc. the following feedback.

The current 2008 basic Champion product is unsatisfactory for the following reasons.

I) The sole should be all rubber. The synthetic material now used is inflexible, has poor traction, makes an embarrassing sound when walking on hard surfaces, and is not in true sneaker tradition.
2) The insole foot bed is horribly uncomfortable. It feels like it may be glued to an uneven surface (ESO sole).
3) The width of the ESO version is not true to size.
4) The Keds label on the heel should be proportional to the sneaker size. The one-size-fits-all label looks as funny on small and larger sizes as the one-size-fits all hospital gowns look on small on large people. It just doesn’t “fit".
5) The eyelets should be painted. The eyelets are functional but bare metal on an otherwise colored shoe is unfashionable. It looks like someone forgot to finish the job in an attempt to make a cheap shoe.
6) Two air eyelets above the foxing (inner side) near the arch should be incorporated to allow for cooling of the foot. Your female customers will appreciate the same comfort that this design provides to men.

While we appreciate innovation, you have innovated yourself away from your roots. Not all change is improvement. Your older product was of better design, quality, construction and of true sneaker tradition. We look forward to resuming our purchases of Keds products when these issues have been resolved.

/ Draft end

Re: Draft Petition

Seeker, I think we have to go in the opposite direction, positive rather than negative. We as a group have to come together and decide collectively, in our minds eye, what are those qualities for us, that make the Keds Champion THE classic sneaker! I mean when all of us think about the Keds Champion, what are those qualities that make us all love them so much!!! Also, I don't think we can list every single detail that we love about the champions, it sound to fanatical or obsessive. Instead, I think we have to list the 2 or 3 very best qualities that makes all of us as a group, cherish the Keds Champion! Take Care

No offense but "HELLO" we're NOT doing this to tell Keds we think they're product is great. We're doing it because many of us don't like the current product. We want a change and at 35.00 a pair they should give consumers a descent product.

Agreed. Petition looks good.

Maybe this is a nitpick, but I'll post anyway:

I'd also like to see the old foxing restored (the new leather champs have an ugly extra "lip" at the top of the foxing.)

Agreed. Petition looks good.

Maybe this is a nitpick, but I'll post anyway:

I'd also like to see the old foxing restored (the new leather champs have an ugly extra "lip" at the top of the foxing.)

This I have not seen. Can you describe it fully or provide a photo? If we're going to complain we might as well be thorough.

All I was trying to say is tell them all the qualities that you think made champions great in the past and that you would like to see them make them that way again.

Yes. I'll take some photos tomorrow of the foxing on the older ones... I don't have any of the newer leather keds, would someone mind taking a photo for me of the toe, close up, from the side? (This is anything post-wedge heel)

Cheers.

I just compared a 90's leather to a 2007 leather and yes there is a small bump. The foxing is slightly higher on the newer which to be honest I prefer.

I did take a couple photos but they did not turn out so great.

All I was trying to say is tell them all the qualities that you think made champions great in the past and that you would like to see them make them that way again.

Okay I see what you are saying. The issue is we don't want to be misunderstood by saying to much. Short simple and to the point.

Let's face it without all the keds fans voicing up we stand little chance of making a difference and they will continue making a product we "loyal Keds customers" don't like. At this point it seems there are maybe 3 or 4 here that even care. There may be a large group that do like these changes and cancel out our argument. I just don't like to sit on the fence and do nothing. I'm tired of politicians not doing what they promise, I'm tired of Governments that care nothing except to tax the citizens and I'm tired of corporations not listening to consumers.

We didn't bring up the issue of price -- I think it would be futile to do so anyway. But if we are going to plunk down $35 for a product, it better be what we want.

Keds is offering something we don't want. We have something they do want - OUR MONEY. This puts us in the superior bargaining position.

Back
Top Bottom