RonR

Gold Member
Reaction score
Location (country)
USA
I seem to recall that back in the 1990s there was a period of time where Keds promoted cleaning their sneakers in the washing machine. (Both leather and canvas.). There were ad campaigns, commercials, etc. using their "washability" as a selling point.

Now, (and for many years), if you look on the Keds website, they will indicate that the shoes should be spot cleaned only.

Does the change - whenever that took place - correspond to a change in where the shoes were made or the type of materials used? Is that when you noticed a change in quality?

I seem to recall that back in the 1990s there was a period of time where Keds promoted cleaning their sneakers in the washing machine. (Both leather and canvas.). There were ad campaigns, commercials, etc. using their "washability" as a selling point.

Now, (and for many years), if you look on the Keds website, they will indicate that the shoes should be spot cleaned only.

Does the change - whenever that took place - correspond to a change in where the shoes were made or the type of materials used? Is that when you noticed a change in quality?
Exactly!! The materials have gone to total shit! If you wash them today the glue is so cheap that it runs everywhere and it gets all over the canvas. The foxing also comes apart from the canvas and rubber and the shoes get totally mis-shapen! They are made so cheaply today (and cost $55+) that washing them basically destroys them to the point a lot of women won't wear them except for yard shoes anymore. Honestly better off buying the $12 WalMart ones and just replacing them 4 times for the same price.

I remember when you could was a pair of Keds 4-6 times before they'd start to come apart. Back in the early 1990's I went to school with a girl who wore white Keds most every day. Canvas in the summer, leather in the winter.

She liked them as clean as possible and you could always tell when she washed them as they were cleaner than the last time you saw her wearing them. That said, they held up pretty well through the summer and into the early fall. The canvas pretty much held its shape and no holes around the toe areas.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Hopefully, the url works. If not go to youtube and look up keds shoe shine commercial. It starts with a lady playing with her child and then the next one is a lady putting them right into the washer.

Back
Top Bottom