I have looked at some of the new champions and I will say, they are not well made like before. It was bad enough Keds went cheap with silver eyelets, to make them like the cheap walmart canvas sneakers, but now the regular champion just looks like it is cheaply glued together. 2016 Keds have been making their shoes cheaply to cut costs, and it shows in the quality of the Canvas Champion. I have seen better quality at Payless and Zellers. Also I have noticed they only sell the keds in either white leather or white canvas, getting rid of the red, navy and black pairs that were available for kids. If Keds keep heading in this direction they might become bankrupt in afew years. As for marketing, they need to appeal again to young adults, then the older and younger females will jump onto wearing them again. I think Olivia Rodrigo, would be a great spokesperson. Also Keds needs to show their sneakers on more tv shows and use tiktok influencers. I see so many stupid mistakes it is just annoying. Whoever is in Keds marketing needs to be replaced.

I have looked at some of the new champions and I will say, they are not well made like before. It was bad enough Keds went cheap with silver eyelets, to make them like the cheap walmart canvas sneakers, but now the regular champion just looks like it is cheaply glued together. 2016 Keds have been making their shoes cheaply to cut costs, and it shows in the quality of the Canvas Champion. I have seen better quality at Payless and Zellers. Also I have noticed they only sell the keds in either white leather or white canvas, getting rid of the red, navy and black pairs that were available for kids. If Keds keep heading in this direction they might become bankrupt in afew years. As for marketing, they need to appeal again to young adults, then the older and younger females will jump onto wearing them again. I think Olivia Rodrigo, would be a great spokesperson. Also Keds needs to show their sneakers on more tv shows and use tiktok influencers. I see so many stupid mistakes it is just annoying. Whoever is in Keds marketing needs to be replaced.
Preaching to the choir brother! I have been screaming this for years! But no to the high-paid spokeswoman, just get HOT and sexy teen-college girls and work an ad campaign around them. MUCH cheaper. Keds did a college tour around the country a few years ago and I bet it was successful. Gotta the sneakers in front of their eyeballs - tik-tok and youtube shorts prolly a good way to go.

Just got a pair of the new solid-color lighter-blue-label Champions in white leather. I compared them today in detail to a mint-condition pair from the previous generation, the "Softerra" Keds.

Here's a rundown:
NewOld
Made in ChinaMade in Vietnam
Giant "KEDS" logo on Insole, slightly lighter background colorKEDS in rectangle with "Softerra" (insole type)
Same stitching, proportionsSame stitching, proportions
Darker, more matte sole. (I like, reminds me of 90s Keds)Lighter, orangier, slightly glossier sole.
Same sole molding/textureSame sole molding/texture
"Cleaner" foxing around the outside, better molded.Maybe just an older mold? Foxing slightly less detailed.
Smell kind of expensive, like a quality leather.A bit of a more synthetic scent.
Blue labels are solid again, no white, and the shade is lighter, once-again matching Keds from the "They Feel Good" era and before. Other blues on the tags are lighter to match as well.Blue and white label. Darker blue on the tags.
Winner

I'm kinda happy they went back to China for manufacturing. In my opinion, all the Keds made in other countries, (even since the 90's) like Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. always had inferior materials and construction. Whenever there was a China version it was always a little better. Korea was great too, but we haven't seen any made there for well over three decades.

Just got a pair of the new solid-color lighter-blue-label Champions in white leather. I compared them today in detail to a mint-condition pair from the previous generation, the "Softerra" Keds.

Here's a rundown:
NewOld
Made in ChinaMade in Vietnam
Giant "KEDS" logo on Insole, slightly lighter background colorKEDS in rectangle with "Softerra" (insole type)
Same stitching, proportionsSame stitching, proportions
Darker, more matte sole. (I like, reminds me of 90s Keds)Lighter, orangier, slightly glossier sole.
Same sole molding/textureSame sole molding/texture
"Cleaner" foxing around the outside, better molded.Maybe just an older mold? Foxing slightly less detailed.
Smell kind of expensive, like a quality leather.A bit of a more synthetic scent.
Blue labels are solid again, no white, and the shade is lighter, once-again matching Keds from the "They Feel Good" era and before. Other blues on the tags are lighter to match as well.Blue and white label. Darker blue on the tags.
Winner

I'm kinda happy they went back to China for manufacturing. In my opinion, all the Keds made in other countries, (even since the 90's) like Indonesia, Vietnam, etc. always had inferior materials and construction. Whenever there was a China version it was always a little better. Korea was great too, but we haven't seen any made there for well over three decades.
Interesting stuff. Thanks for the run down. Now this is contrary to your findings but I've bought two pairs of leather slipons thus year. One was fro China the other Vietnam. The Vietnam are larger, wider and better construction.

Preaching to the choir brother! I have been screaming this for years! But no to the high-paid spokeswoman, just get HOT and sexy teen-college girls and work an ad campaign around them. MUCH cheaper. Keds did a college tour around the country a few years ago and I bet it was successful. Gotta the sneakers in front of their eyeballs - tik-tok and youtube shorts prolly a good way to go.
The quality also is gone down hill. The keds 10 years ago are way better made, and I want the bloody white eyelets brought back. I miss the keds for the late 80s and early 90s. Much better product.

Taylor Swift did put them in the lime light for awhile, but they just are lazy now with spokes people. At least if they went with Ariana Grande I believe she would be wearing them even today. Hopefully they might get someone, I think Olivia Rodrigo would be a good spokes person.

The insole with giant keds label looks ridiculous. Aside from that I agree new version is much better

The insole with giant keds label looks ridiculous. Aside from that I agree new version is much better
So agree! They need to CHILL the fuck out with all the badging!! Put the label on the heel and maybe the tongue, but get rid of all the other GD logos! We know they are keds, no one else ever will cause NO ONE buys these damn expensive tennies anymore.

I agree with all the badging. In my opinion. The only badging should be the one on the heel. I ordered some new pursuits and it still has the damn blue with the white lettering on the heel. I guess they send that one if they still have them in stock.

I agree with all the badging. In my opinion. The only badging should be the one on the heel. I ordered some new pursuits and it still has the damn blue with the white lettering on the heel. I guess they send that one if they still have them in stock.
I actually prefer the blue label with the white lettering. It more screams that these are Keds and are a women's sneaker. The gender neutral Keds have the all blue labels.

Back
Top Bottom