Re: The Knockoffs - who sold them?

There were a few more such as CR Anthony's Zipps and a more recent was Hanes her way with a pink lable.

Don't forget Hanes as a very good quality knock-off and the lesser Zellers brand for those in Canada called Carol "?" I have the white canvas and the black canvas in size 11

Slazenger and Dunlop had a keds knockoff out here in Ozz...
Also there was a brand called "Star".. They did several models including a keds knockoff, a Converse chucks and star models knock, and a "fell apart" quickly leather school shoes.. Their most popular shoe was a model similar to a canvas Britt toe cap Plimsoll type of "sandshoe" as they were called then.. Lots of girls wore them as a fashion statment but a guy had to be dirt poor to wear them... Cons and Keds were around in army disposal stores but were scarce... These Stars were 50's-60's gear and belive it or not were made in China sold in individualy owned shoe shops... No big chains back then.. :icon_frow:icon_frow:icon_frow Walk softly people..

speaking of knock offs, this weekend I saw three young ladies wearing knock offs. One young lady came to our door trying to sell something. I only got a brief look so I jumped in the car and went around the block but did not get a picture. bright white. Later I saw a young oriental girl wearing tan champion knock offs. I initially thought they were geniune until I did not see the blue label and the back. They also had a white sole. Finally I saw a young girl with bright white new champion knock offs. Has anyone else noticed that lately there have been more knock offs?

Zellers also had another type of canvas sneakers called "Truly Canvas" however they came out with them in 2001 to 2003. I do remember a another brand of knock offs called "Apple Pie" the sneakers came in solid colours even the bottoms would be the same solid colour.

Sporto also had a champion knockoff, they had blue soles though.

Just a bit of general info.. In Ozz in the late 80's early 90's, Apple Pie also did a knockoff of Reebock Freestyles Hi and Lo... That was when every second girl was wearing Freestyle Hi's and those that wern't were giving their's a rest for a day.. Freestyles were outselling everything and I still have several pr and a big love for them.. I think tey are also coming back as I have seen several girls in them lately :icon_evil:icon_evil Walk softly people..

For a short time, J. C. Penney's carried knock-offs under the name of "U.S.A. Olympics." They even had a (darker) blue label and were fairly high quality. I have a pair of navy canvas ones somewhere... I'll try to remember to snap some pics of those and a few of the other brands people have already mentioned.

Venture stores in the U.S. also had a brand called "A.E." which stood for "Active Elements." They were also fairly good quality.

Gitano also made both Champion-like and Anchor-like deck sneakers in the late 80's.

Here are some pics of vintage Red Ball Jets manufactured by Ball Band in Mishwaka, Indiana. I'd estimate them to date to the late 50's or early 60's. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Red_Ball_Jets1.jpg
    Red_Ball_Jets1.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Red_Ball_Jets2.jpg
    Red_Ball_Jets2.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Red_Ball_Jets3.jpg
    Red_Ball_Jets3.jpg
    531.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Red_Ball_Jets4.jpg
    Red_Ball_Jets4.jpg