Re: The Knockoffs - who sold them?

Anyone want Red Balls..??.. Same as Anchorfan's pics.. Walk softly people.. :icon_ques:icon_ques

Yeah, I remember Red Ball Jets. They were both available for both men & women and looked nearly the same (and in those days I could easily fit into either). The shoes that are shown date back to the early to mid 60's; you could get them with either the pointed or round toe. They came in many colors: red, black, dark blue, light blue, white....and only for women were colors yellow, pink, lime, & tan. The shoe string eyelets matched the color of the shoe. The last pair I remember buying was back in 1971 when Gordon's Dept Store was closing its doors for good. There were two giant piles of these sneakers, mainly white, on two large tables: one for men, one for women. I always got the round toe model. Back then I could only afford to buy two pairs (which I did buy) and wore them for years until they fell apart. The soles of those shoes are exactly the same as the pictured above. You had to be picky in those days because the insole could be cloth like Keds or a slippery insole simular to early Vans of the same style. I felt the fit was better than Keds in those days (having the chance to buy & own both brands) with more room for your instep. Although most of my Keds & Red Ball Jets were white, my favorite shoes were a pair of black Red Ball Jets with matching black laces. Damn, I wish I could get a pair today!:icon_mrgr

Earlier I mentioned a brand of knock-offs named U.S.A. Olympics sold at J.C. Penney's. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• navy_Olympics1.jpg
    navy_Olympics1.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 1
  • navy_Olympics2.jpg
    navy_Olympics2.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 1
  • navy_Olympics3.jpg
    navy_Olympics3.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 1
  • navy_Olympics4.jpg
    navy_Olympics4.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 1
  • navy_Olympics5.jpg
    navy_Olympics5.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 1

Kedslover56,
I know where there are some white Red Balls. Nearly all womene sizes 10 down.. Anchorfan those Olympics look HOT AS.. .. Walk softly people.. :icon_idea:icon_idea

Last edited:

Earlier I mentioned a brand of knock-offs named U.S.A. Olympics sold at J.C. Penney's. Here are some pics:
I have owned a few pairs of these. They were a very good substitute for Keds. Well made and comfortable.

I have owned a few pairs of these. They were a very good substitute for Keds. Well made and comfortable.

They also featured the white topstitching on the navy canvas some time after Keds went to an all navy upper, without the contrasting white stitching. I really appreciated the throwback look! :icon_razz

So let me know were I can get a set of Red Ball Jets!:icon_mrgr

Heres a pr of black Red Balls I have.. womens 9m 11" heel to toe.. Not sure I want to sell them yet... Walk softly people.. :icon_cool:icon_cool

Attachments

• rb100_1482.jpg
    rb100_1482.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 1
  • rb100_1483.jpg
    rb100_1483.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 1

Conforever, where did you find those Red Ball Jets? I see that they are the pointed toe style with the slippery insole. Hope you can find more! Anyways, the black RBJs remind me of a girl in my math class back in the late 60's. She always wore short jean skirts with nylons & bobby-socks with those shoes....man, she was a knock-out! And she always knew when you were looking at her and she would tease by stretching out her long legs and point her toes in your direction. Memory....what a curse!:icon_mrgr

My girl in Michigan has a shit load of them.. Only womans 9 and down.. I grabbed the few big sizes she had.. By the way she knows what they are worth.. Probably fairly expensive.. But then you are paying for a 50's-60's class act shoe thats true vintage and brand new in box... True collectors.. Still interested..??.. I'll post pics of my other two pr later this morning as the camera battery is flat.. :icon_cool:icon_cool Walk softly people..

Back
Top Bottom