tretornluver said:
This is true. I was born in 1977 but I think in the 50s and 60s they were worn by men a lot. If you have seen the movie Stand By Me, I think a few of the kids may be wearing keds or shoes close to them. I am pretty sure in "The Body" the story that the movie is based on it actually says that the boys wore keds. I know I have seen it mentioned in a few of Stephen King's stories. At first, I thought it was strange since I have always known them to be shoes for women but you are right that they are meant to be unisex.

I believe there was a line that said the train hit the boy so hard his Keds flew off in "Stand by me":icon_mrgr

tretornluver said:
This is true. I was born in 1977 but I think in the 50s and 60s they were worn by men a lot. If you have seen the movie Stand By Me, I think a few of the kids may be wearing keds or shoes close to them. I am pretty sure in "The Body" the story that the movie is based on it actually says that the boys wore keds. I know I have seen it mentioned in a few of Stephen King's stories. At first, I thought it was strange since I have always known them to be shoes for women but you are right that they are meant to be unisex.

I didn't see many kids wearing the oxford-style Keds in my area but I think they were very big on the west coast- particularity southern California. But by the time I got to college ('65-'70) Keds' "Surfers" were very popular with the guys on campus. Surfers were similar to the girl's oxfords but had a higher thicker rubber rim and a more rounded toe. I had several pairs- in navy, white and sage-green. Actually the green ones were made by "Red-Ball" which was Keds' chief competitor at the time. In fact, Red-Balls were so identical to Keds the only way I could tell them apart was by the name tag and insole color.

About 1971 I think the popularity of the men's Keds began to wane as more sportier looking jogging-styles took over. (This was about the time jogging became a national craze). I'm not sure when Keds stop making Surfers but I don't recall seeing them much after the mid-1970s.

Re: Wearing Keds in Public

I wear mine out some.Guys like Kedsbri and kedsfreak are a lot of help.
Thanks

Thanks Rcann, yesterday while at Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto, I saw at young asian guy at Capezios ask to try on a pair of white leather Keds. He had a girl with him, unfortunately 10 was the largest and they didn't fit him. He looked like a pretty cool guy wanting to wear they cuz they're in fashion.

B

I just bought a new pair of Levi 514 slim straights and the asian sales guy had a pair of white canvas knock-offs. Interesting thing was, he immediately noticed my white champs and asked me emphatically..."Where did you get your kicks?"

I wear Keds champions in public all the time. I have been doing so for decades. It has become such a routine part of my life that I do not feel self-conscious about it. In my mind, these sneakers are normal looking, and it's the other kinds that are odd. When I go near the ocean, I think to myself, everyone should be wearing some type of boat sneaker. It just looks so appropriate, and attractive.

I don't wear my Keds in public very often, but in the last couple years, plimsolls have become quite big in Europe and the UK (at least if the # of styles available from UK vendors can be believed). I have keds-style classic plimsolls from Momentum, Ted Baker (a very high-end brand), Fred Perry, Swear, and Prada (at $300 retail, no one makes fun of my Pradas!). I've even found some fun high-top plimsolls in canvas (dead ringers for Ked's Champion Bootie) from Shoelab and UrbanOutfitters UK -- and these are mens shoes! With the exception of the aforementioned booties, I wear all those in public all the time, usually with white jeans (in summer weather, of course), and I don't get a bit of stick over it.

I guess the average European man isn't so hung up on their perceived masculinity that they will only wear the most garish, clunkiest 'moon boot' b-ball shoes and cross-trainers they can find. Do you ever notice also that with Americans, all their sneakers must be 'about' something? They have to be purpose-specific whether is b-ball/tennis/running/skate/etc. The thing I've always liked about Keds and the basic plimsoll/sandshoe style is that they're saying 'I don't have to be about anything; I can be just me, and free to simply enjoy leisure and leisure style'.

Anyway, great thread!

Other than the men on this board and some Indie type people, I don't ink men wear Keds on public. Outside of my interest, I'm pretty conventional. Besides, I hate wearing the shoes that I think make a women more appealing-it feels like crossdressing to me. So no, I don't wear them in public, or at all. I go out of away to avoid wearing them and other white sneakers that I like on women. That's just me, though.

thing i look at is . keds to me are just some posh plimsole .
i live in the uk , keds over here are few and far between . [due to price i reckon ] . i have just bought some goodsoul plimsolls , which look the same as keds . i have also just bought a pair of white keds , which i am waiting for to turn up ,
plimsolls are a unisex shoe . as it stands i am a size 6 . mens advertised keds in the uk start at a 7-8 . womens go upto 6-7 . so i have had to order a so call womans 6 . but like i say . plimsolls are a unisex shoe .
just wear your keds/plimsolls with pride . i do and always will . plimsolls are the only shoes i own for out of work wear . hope this helps . :icon_chee

For all the guys out there that are afraid to wear Keds in public , Listen up ! I am 35 5 ft 2 west indian and brown complexion , married for 16 years . I have been wearing keds for about 20 years beginning from Ny -Bronx , Then Nj ,to Fl I have never had an incident were anyone has made a big deal about it. I just put them on and forget about them thats it . when i first begane wearing them years ago I felt alittle shy but I remember when I was 21 I stayed the summer with my dad , it was in the south bronx in ny ,, the ghetto , and noticed that summer vans were in for the summer , all of the popular drug dealers wore them with plaid or plain shorts , I remember seeing them in orange , black , blue etc , it was when New balance 574 were popular. My wife and I wear them always , I wore an orange pair to the doctors office last week and got a comment from the assistant , she said those sneakers are cute in front of my wife . It all depends how you coordinate them with your clothing , try not to hide them it will defeat the purpose , also if you feel nervous just put them on and stand in front of people that will notices them .I had realized when i was living in the bronx that I did not want to follow society and do and wear what everyone was like baggy jeans , big shirts , boots , etc.
I like fitted clothing and my choice of shoes . who cares what you wear , no one pays your bills and wearing keds is just material it is not a sex change " do you and be confident in what you do and wear.
Put on a pair and go do something like wash your car or fix something you would not even remember you are wearing keds .I live in fl and have never seen a guy in keds yet in 3 years and this is the country part so go figure but I do not give a damn , what people think would not make you life any better . I wear slip on loafers and some ballet flats that do not look to fem as long as it coordinates with your clothing . sometimes you get the 16 year old guys and girls that wouls laugh like stupid asses with their girlfriends but , who cares " they still live with mommy and mommy buys their clothing , kids so what do they know about life . I wear my white ones all the time and my neighbors see but never comment because they know im married with kids ,, another tip is to collect a variety of sneakers like nikes , reeboks , vans , converse etc . so if someone sees you more than once their thoughts would be ,,, "Dam He has alot of sneakers "
wear more that one kind so people would know you like to dress and have plenty sneakers . In that way it is not seen as a fetish or a fen thing. as for wifes not going for it ,, psss thats is silly . go and buy a pair and tell your wife why the hell women can be comfortable and not men ? Mens shoes are doofy , big and too wild . if you have bigger feet it looks better than smaller feet , smaller feet looks fem bigger looks like a varsity style shoe for those casual men . i wear a 7.5 in women so imagine how that loks , but i coordinate it right. and if any man insults you tell him if he thinks that you are fem ? Ask him to bring his wife and show her how fem you are " get my drift .
enjoy your life , eat ,wear , see , do , and be who you want to be you . so just wear the shoe and be a man. Us men should have confort an cuteness in what we wear rather that being a big tuff guy . i do not need to show that . also if a woman ever made fun of me I would show her how much man i am , she might want to marry me after lol.
gaps " lol .Thanks all BUY KEDS AND WEAR THEM , COME OUT THE CLOSET.

Back
Top Bottom